• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollywood's Next Reboot is Twister

Jooxed

Gold Member

Universal Pictures is looking to reboot the classic tentpole “Twister,” and looks to have found a director to weather the storm.

Sources tell Variety that Universal Pictures is developing a reboot of the 1996 blockbuster and is in negotiations with “Top Gun: Maverick” helmer Joseph Kosinski to direct.

Frank Marshall will produce the pic and the studio is currently meeting with writers to pen the script.

tenor.gif

No amount of movie magic can ever capture the horror and dread of the real thing.

Warning: Nightmare fuel

Holy shit...and reading the description made it worse...the dude filming lost his wife. Even if you think it might miss, get the fuck away from it or somewhere safe..dont just leave your wife downstairs while you film that monster coming at you..wtf..

Ornlu

Banned
Damn it, you know this movie is gonna come out really bad. Hopefully not.

Holy shit...and reading the description made it worse...the dude filming lost his wife. Even if you think it might miss, get the fuck away from it or somewhere safe..dont just leave your wife downstairs while you film that monster coming at you..wtf..

Maybe "The tornado got her" was his version of "Drink this fish tank cleaner, honey! It protects against Corona!" :pie_thinking: As an alibi, the tornado would be a perfect storm.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This seems like it has flop written all over it. The first movie succeeded purely based on spectacle, we have had so much CGI since that I just don't see anyone really caring. Prove me wrong Hollywood.

This. Into the Storm had some good moments..but was meh overall. Loved Twister tho!
The only thing I remember from Into the Storm is the scene where some guy walks right up to a fire tornado to record it and, surprise, gets sucked up into it. That was probably one of the funniest and dumbest things I've ever seen in a disaster movie.

Last edited:

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Maybe "The tornado got her" was his version of "Drink this fish tank cleaner, honey! It protects against Corona!" :pie_thinking: As an alibi, the tornado would be a perfect storm.

You went to a really dark place there, cuz. Everything alright at home?

Doom85

Blech. The 90's blockbuster scene was so overcrowded with disaster movies, and it was easy to see why. Jurassic Park and Independence Day were massive hits, so executives saw CGI as a huge crowd-pleaser. But rather than think of an interesting threat or story hook, they were like, "fuck it, huge natural disaster"! And then threw in characters extremely cookie-cutter since they figured why bother if the audience is focused on the effects. Sure, Twister was one of the, err, more "tolerable" of them but the genre mostly died with that era and quite frankly a remake would be one of the most insanely easy skips for me. Like just last year, I saw Godzilla and Mothra throw down with King Ghidorah and Rodan in sick massive fights, I'm no longer impressed by a giant tornado.

StormCell

I don't know how much it matters, but the couple were in their 80s. The guy filming the tornado with his phone is/was 85 years old. Some old people don't heed warnings after they've been alive for so long.

Sign

I read the title and thought they were making a Twister (game) movie :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

I saw Twister when I was younger and it scarred me for life.

xrnzaaas

Into The Storm was basically Twister for the current generation.
I fear like it's going to be a similar movie to Into the Storm. Having a single tornado is just enough these days, you need to have stuff like a fiery tornado or several tornados combining into one.

Last edited:

TheMan

This seems like it has flop written all over it. The first movie succeeded purely based on spectacle, we have had so much CGI since that I just don't see anyone really caring. Prove me wrong Hollywood.

Yes, I remember this movie being a big showcase for DVD and home theaters back in the 90s because of the special effects. Like electronics stores had areas where you could sit and just experience the surround sound.

Reminds me of avatar that came later- the right tech at the right time but the movie itself doesn't stand up super well after the dust settles.

Last edited:
Yes, I remember this movie being a big showcase for DVD and home theaters back in the 90s because of the special effects. Like electronics stores had areas where you could sit and just experience the surround sound.

Reminds me of avatar that came later- the right tech at the right time but the movie itself doesn't stand up super well after the dust settles.
Yeah, now they show the LORAX movie or whatever the fuck it's called 24/7.

Top Bottom