• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollywood's Next Reboot is Twister

The single most unrealistic part of Twister was when Paxton chooses to go back to Helen Hunt over this fine piece of ass.

SQFmK5y.gif

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
So just seen a cast pict for the new Twister movie...

Ffs, can Hollywood not make a show without populating it with a bunch of generic AF looking Instagram influencers, I hate to keep referencing the olden days, but at least the movies seemed to cast the odd 1 or 2 conventially good looking peeps and the rest looked like normal human beings, hell the original was a bunch of nerdy bastards... Now apparently the trailer is due soon so I'll hold off until I see it, but from the below pict it genuinely looks like a bunch of IG models on some shoot will get caught up on a twister flinging all sorts of in your face marketing shite at us, hoped to be proved wrong as I loved the original

efTgeoC.png

So just seen a cast pict for the new Twister movie...

Ffs, can Hollywood not make a show without populating it with a bunch of generic AF looking Instagram influencers, I hate to keep referencing the olden days, but at least the movies seemed to cast the odd 1 or 2 conventially good looking peeps and the rest looked like normal human beings, hell the original was a bunch of nerdy bastards... Now apparently the trailer is due soon so I'll hold off until I see it, but from the below pict it genuinely looks like a bunch of IG models on some shoot will get caught up on a twister flinging all sorts of in your face marketing shite at us, hoped to be proved wrong as I loved the original

efTgeoC.png
Well I won't even bother watching this.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
We don't have hurricanes over here as far as i know lol but while I can imagine the fear of said terrifying scenario I have zero connection with it's premise. I'll watch it if the twist, pun intended, was if the hurricane teleported a family or whatever to an alternate reality or planet on which it's society consciousness has evolved so they bask and learn and grow wiser themselves via a guide that takes said family or a random group of current Earth people through constant exposition so as to learn them the way how to become am AAA+ grade peaceful society.

But that's just me. I've already read the script

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I must first know all the political activities of everyone involved in this movie to make sure all of them agree with me on everything. Otherwise, I just won't be able to enjoy it.

I need to know what's between their legs, what used to be between their legs, what they wish they had between their legs and which ones are part of the lgbtqssj community.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Well, take solace that probably half the cast will get killed.

I gotta think this will have a HEAVY climate change message. Wouldn't surprise me if Greta Thunberg shows up in a cameo.

Is the Maverick director still attached to this? Wonder if he got real tornado footage, if Tom Cruise rubbed off on him then I bet he did.

0neAnd0nly

This movie will be trash, but I am pumped for the trailer.

The movie was shot in large part in Oklahoma. Pretty cool.

The plot will, reportedly, center around climate change and "tornado alley shifting", which as someone heavily involved in tornado hobbies, is refuted by almost anyone with Atmospheric Science degrees and meteorologist alike.

Going to suck, but I will still visit the suck zone for this #thankswierdhobbies

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The biggest stand out of the trailer for me was the girl screaming her head off... while looking like she's lying down on a sound stage with nothing happening around her, while some CGI mess flies across the screen.

They pulled Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton around on wires.

SJRB

Gold Member

Looks like shit compared to the original, even though it tries (sometimes shot-for-shot) to be the same movie.

If I'd be Jan de Bont I'd be offended.

Last edited:

midnightAI

NO, just NO

Why do they keep on insisting on remaking films, this one is a modern classic film in my eyes, and the remake is almost one for one in its classic moments but make them waaaay worse. Well, actually, I do know the answer and that is 'money'.

RIP Bill Paxton

midnightAI

Also bill Paxton
Trailer looks like they edited the original twister into today’s way of editing trailers. Flipping heck.
If I didnt know any better (unfortunately we all do) it looks like one of those fake trailers people make by cutting up existing movies.

I'm saying all this and I'll probably watch it, not in the cinema, out of curiosity more then anything. Cant watch it in the cinema as I'll be criticising and shouting at the screen throughout most likely. I have the original on VHS and DVD, watched it dozens of times.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
26 seconds into the trailer and my suspension of disbelief crashed to the ground. That storm was powerful enough to blow a big car off the ground and into the air, but these kids are hardly bothered by it.

8PRyE4O.jpg

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

Another notable change to the movie from its predecessor is the way it will incorporate the theme of climate change into the narrative. Weintraub asked about the impact that thirty years of global warming would have on the size and scale of the storms that would be seen on-screen, and Smith admitted that it would be a key factor in the plot of the film. "That's one of the things that we kind of tapped, and it's true," he confirmed. "I talked to so many storm experts, tornado experts, storm chasers, and rode around with some. Even the tornado season itself, because of climate change, what used to be tornado alley going through a certain stretch. It now extends so further east, and it's moving across, and the dates are wider, and the numbers are higher, and the storms themselves are more violent. So we did use elements of that just to shine a light on it, as well, the causes and effects of climate change."

"I think the whole movie is taking more of a climate change bend, the reboot, so that'll be part of the story. It's not just random twisters, it's gonna be plugged into everything that's going on now."

So it's Aquaman 2.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
That ripped/handsome fella from Top Gun Maverick sure is popping up in a lot of things lately. I'll watch it on streaming. Maybe.

0neAnd0nly

So it's Aquaman 2.

That’s such an angering thing to read haha.

Low key, through the tornado community I know a few people who worked on the film, so I already knew a few things, including this. They consulted very few chasers, most of the chasers they did consult I know for a fact don’t believe tornado alley is shifting. They didn’t talk to anybody about that haha.

And the irony of saying “30 years of global warming and the impact on size and strength” while we go through the longest modern drought of an EF-5 tornado event isn’t lost either *eye roll*.

This isn’t at all me posturing for or against climate change, but all of this stuff, in the tornado community at least, is pretty divisive to say the least. Granted there are nuances to all of this (for example, there has been tornados with EF-5 strength that just haven’t had the DI to be properly rated based on what they impacted), but it’s still a frustratingly shallow look at tornado science and the quotes come off as someone who made their mind up based on a 5 paragraph click bait editorial rather than actually studying and consulting the professionals.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I wouldn't be surprised if a new Volcano movie is next. Climate change messaging aside this is still nothing more than the endless sequel/reboot shitopia that is modern Hollywood.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I wouldn't be surprised if a new Volcano movie is next. Climate change messaging aside this is still nothing more than the endless sequel/reboot shitopia that is modern Hollywood.
Oh, oh, what if the disaster "shared universe" franchise started with San Andreas, continues with Twister 2: Whirlwind Bugaloo, and then we get Miami Tsunami, Volcano 2: LA is really gonna get it this time, and DROUGHT: Goddamn it's hot!
Then it turns out it was this guy allllll along! All the disaster movie heroes team up and head into spaaaaace!

Send in Flash!!!

tEQVjgC.jpg

midnightAI

I love natural disaster films, they just dont seem to always handle them well and/or turn them into Sci-Fi films (Moonfall, Geostorm even though I liked both films).

There have been some decent ones of course (Greenland is pretty good, as is The Wave, San Andreas is OK I guess), but there are way too many bad ones, luckily those seem to mostly be on the Sci Fi channel.

But there isnt really any need to reboot these things or have sequels.

That’s such an angering thing to read haha.

Low key, through the tornado community I know a few people who worked on the film, so I already knew a few things, including this. They consulted very few chasers, most of the chasers they did consult I know for a fact don’t believe tornado alley is shifting. They didn’t talk to anybody about that haha.

And the irony of saying “30 years of global warming and the impact on size and strength” while we go through the longest modern drought of an EF-5 tornado event isn’t lost either *eye roll*.

This isn’t at all me posturing for or against climate change, but all of this stuff, in the tornado community at least, is pretty divisive to say the least. Granted there are nuances to all of this (for example, there has been tornados with EF-5 strength that just haven’t had the DI to be properly rated based on what they impacted), but it’s still a frustratingly shallow look at tornado science and the quotes come off as someone who made their mind up based on a 5 paragraph click bait editorial rather than actually studying and consulting the professionals.

Twister had flying cows and shit but makes the viewer respect the storm, the chasers and the science. The new one feels like the tornado scene from The Day After Tomorrow but without the awesome premise and execution.

Codes 208

26 seconds into the trailer and my suspension of disbelief crashed to the ground. That storm was powerful enough to blow a big car off the ground and into the air, but these kids are hardly bothered by it.

8PRyE4O.jpg
Theyre clearly ahead of the suck-zone

Billbofet

8PRyE4O.jpg
Or how 27 seconds in, she's holding on for dear life and her hair isn't even moving at all. I might still see this, but this looks crazy similar to the first movie. Is it a reboot?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Does anyone else think this idea of "destroying a tornado" (via little flying bombs?) is eerily similar to "why can't you nuke a hurricane"? Even superman couldn't (wouldn't?) do it!

gwmAniQ.jpg

I remember when Twister was in theater, god help you if you were in the theater next to it because of all the bass rumble. This film should deliver the same, probably a fun cinema watch for date night if nothing else.

Or how 27 seconds in, she's holding on for dear life and her hair isn't even moving at all. I might still see this, but this looks crazy similar to the first movie. Is it a reboot?
hah, immediately noticed that.
Just saw the trailer it looks like the first movie. the exact same movie.
You weren't kidding. Apart from like one or two shots the rest is basically identical LMAO

We want this Twister.

JrkDEJS.jpg

Hasbro may have bombed with Battleship when it came to review scores, but I'm sure they can get it right with that.

can always make it a story about 2 couples doing a game night playing Twister and then things starts to get heated and soon you get some kinda swinger drama going on and then go on there.

Top Bottom