• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront: The Revolution review thread

xRaizen

I imagine that's local English slang and I assume that term was used in the previous game? Hence why it's carried over. I don't think the resistance being racist to the occupiers (in this made up scenario, using a made up word) is really anything to be concerned over, as it seems perfectly plausible if the situation were to really happen.

I've just listened to the Eurogamer post-review discussion, and his main gripe seems to be that the resistance fighters are a massive bunch of idiots.
I mean they did invade the people's land and destroyed much of it so I don't imagine that the Americans would be nice to them..

BiggNife

is vr6pimp an actual Deep Silver/Dambuster employee or just a volunteer mod?

If it's the former then it's super gross that he's telling people not to trust reviews because of journalistic corruption. That's some gamergate shit.

Alienous

I imagine that's local English slang and I assume that term was used in the previous game? Hence why it's carried over. I don't think the resistance being racist to the occupiers (in this made up scenario, using a made up word) is really anything to be concerned over, as it seems perfectly plausible if the situation were to really happen.

I've just listened to the Eurogamer post-review discussion, and his main gripe seems to be that the resistance fighters are a massive bunch of idiots.

They probably would be. That isn't inherently a flaw, and it could make for an interesting perspective on this genre.

I dont know, but for someone whos played 50k games I find this hard to take on board
CiqauzdUoAAw6R_.jpg:large

---------------------------------
CiqUWftWYAIZRdx.jpg:large

Honestly, what the fuck?
post-77647-0-74836100-1416026348.gif

Wow.

Tecnniqe

Banned
idk, by reading this it sounds like he's just a volunteer moderator with another full time job. I think that sig on the bottom is just something he wrote to make himself look more official.

He may be volunteer but he sure as hell is making it looks like hes working for them, which is bad if thats not the case.
Especially with his theories flying about, making the whole company look worse.

BiggNife

Also please don't go DetectiveGAF on this guy because that shit almost always gets out of hand. I was just curious as to whether or not he was a full time employee and it sounds like he's just a volunteer.

He edited out the mentions of reviews not being trustworthy because sites are paid off and the like

Guess someone higher up didn't like that

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Your North Korean adversaries in Homefront: The Revolution are referred to as Norks. Given the more common colloquial use of that particular term, it'd be funny if it weren't so unpleasant: in Homefront: The Revolution the word Norks is used solely to refer to people from North Korea in a pejorative fashion, which is the very definition of a racial slur. I must have heard the word Norks hundreds of times during my playthrough and every instance was more painful than the last
The fuck?! Whyy??? Who thought this was a good idea to include in the game?

Professor Pew

Neo Member
idk, by reading this it sounds like he's just a volunteer moderator with another full time job. I think that sig on the bottom is just something he wrote to make himself look more official.

He is a volunteer moderator and a fan of the franchise who is helping out on the official forums. Clearly he should not have said the things he did as it doesn't reflect Deep Silver's stance in any way. We've addressed this with him immediately and explained why it is unacceptable. Thanks to everyone who brought it to our attention!

Tecnniqe

Banned
He edited out the mentions of reviews not being trustworthy because sites are paid off and the like

Guess someone higher up didn't like that

Probably because Jim retweeted https://twitter.com/TheSteveBurnio/status/732561180556972032

Edit:
He is a volunteer moderator and a fan of the franchise who is helping out on the official forums. Clearly he should not have said the things he did as it doesn't reflect Deep Silver's stance in any way. We've addressed this with him immediately and explained why it is unacceptable. Thanks to everyone who brought it to our attention!

Well there we go then.

Shady859

Is the community moderator manager choking himself in that picture?? He knew today was getting near when he took the picture. This looked fun once upon a time but the early YT play videos in the other thread was enough to make me not even Gamefly it.

edit: moderator, lol it was way worse reading that as manager.

Unfortunate. I was kind of wanting a mid tier type thing to play and I'll probably still play it but I was hoping it would be more solid than the reviews seem to indicate.

Sterling's review though man. Harsh.

Carcetti

The Eurogamer writer needs to do a bit of reading of what happens to collaborators with the occupying force in every war.

Kudos -- not criticism -- should be given to Dambuster for actually addressing this reality.

You know, like how they, Eurogamer, talked about this exact historical point in the pre-review video, and said that it's just been badly executed in the game.

Fishook

I quite enjoy playing the poorly reviewed games, especially if the setting appeals to me. I will pick this up when it's cheap no doubt.

If a game is highly praised but, the setting or style does not appeal to me, I won't bother with it. I have no interest whatsoever in Overwatch, but that's just me. I enjoyed the Walking Dead FPS for what I paid for it. I am enjoying Doom, but I am glad I did'nt pay full price for it..

kmg90

The concept likely went like this;
1) We want to make a shooter about USA being invaded by another country
2) Can't do Russia/USSR anymore because they buy games
3) Middle East countries are too sensitive of material right now
3) North Korea hate USA right now and don't buy American video games
4) North Korea it is
Should be between 2 and 3
Also China would work but we don't want to piss them off either as they are starting to get into video games consoles and such

Kaizer

Banned
Man, that's disappointing, I was sorta hoping this game would be decent. Oh well, will check it out once it's like $20 or less on Amazon in a few months.

Branduil

I just can't get over how dumb the premise of this series is. There's a better chance of the events of Katamari Damacy happening than of North Korea successfully invading any country, let alone the US.

xrnzaaas

I've watched some gameplay videos and it reminded me of ubercrappy last gen FPS's like Turning Point: Fall of Liberty. This is going to be a massive flop.

SomTervo

I dont know, but for someone whos played 50k games I find this hard to take on board
CiqauzdUoAAw6R_.jpg:large

---------------------------------
CiqUWftWYAIZRdx.jpg:large

Honestly, what the fuck?

Yeesh.

Make sure you don't slip while you bomb into the 'unprofessional as fuck' pool.

The video footage feels like a darker, urban Far Cry game.

It actually made me more interested than I was before. I love me some Far Cry.

Same here. It just looks like a gritty Far Cry set in a city. Bonus points that it's Philly which I've never visited.

Some critics praised the level/encounter design too, which matters a lot to me.

Plot thickens.
Thins?

I quite enjoy playing the poorly reviewed games, especially if the setting appeals to me. I will pick this up when it's cheap no doubt.

If a game is highly praised but, the setting or style does not appeal to me, I won't bother with it. I have no interest whatsoever in Overwatch, but that's just me. I enjoyed the Walking Dead FPS for what I paid for it. I am enjoying Doom, but I am glad I did'nt pay full price for it..

Same here. I've really, really fucking enjoyed a few 5-6/10 games in the last 5-10 years.

Zukkoyaki

Deep Silver seems like they have their heart in the right place, but don't entirely know what they're doing. It's clear they want to become a legit player as a publisher and around two years ago it seemed like they were on the cusp of that. They had a HUGE commercial hit with Dead Island, published some gems like Metro and Killer is Dead, had just acquired a massive and solid developer in Volition, announced two AAA games at E3 2014 that initially looked promising in Homefront and Dead Island 2, AND signed on to release physical editions of Might No. 9 before the game became a joke. The stars were seriously aligning for them but they haven't been able to catch a break since.

Might No. 9 kept getting delayed for silly reasons and Inafune has looked super slimy in the process, Yager apparently botched Dead Island 2 so bad they Deep Silver gave it to another developer, Homefront ended up being some kind of Frankenstein monster that went through insane turnover and THREE publishers (This is after being a questionable sequel to begin with. It had potential in the premise, though). It's actually kind of disheartening.

This industry is rough and we usually hear about companies bailing out of it. It was incredibly refreshing to see a company step up and really try to earn a spot at the table of significant video game companies. Seeing everything go south is unfortunate.

Though there's still some silver lining. Koch Media (Deep Silver's parent company) is still incredibly healthy and as long as they don't pull the plug, which I don't think they will, the company seems to REALLY want this, Deep Silver isn't going anywhere. There's also HUGE potential in whatever Volition (Saint's Row) and 4A (Metro) are working on. Both are proven developers that are likely working on new IPs who have had something cooking for a couple of years each now. It's already been concerned that Deep Silver is announcing a AAA game at E3, probably going to be one of them.

Still going to give this game the benefit of the doubt. Obviously it's bad but..idk, I'll try it once I get around to renting it or buying it for super cheap and see what it's all about. Sad to see the reviews though.

I bought the original Homefront on release day despite reviews.

It wasnt a great game and I kinda regretted paying full price for it. I love the American occupation storyline, it's hokey and has that B movie charm that I love.

I can't believe this game got made and I also can't believe that I really want to play it.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
This sounds wonderfully trashy, I must play it but for no more than 10 british pounds. Roll on the discounts!

Top Bottom