• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mifune

Mehmber
So the mission
Deep Secrets of the Earth
is one of my favorite open world or RPG missions ever. All because of the writing. Info dumps galore but they're all impeccably voice acted and written - I got chills and even choked up at multiple moments throughout. The story of
Zero Dawn and its team is stunning, chilling, moving, disturbing, and heartbreakingly beautiful all at the same time. And Gaia, too, and the explanation for why there are dinos.
Throughout this mission I kept saying aloud, "this game's writing is so fucking good."

And then the mission
Terror of the Sun
. Frankly amazing sequence that had me muttering "are you fucking kidding me" over and over. The graphics in that mission are mind-blowing. And then
the Sylens arrival was so expertly handled.
Another goosebump moment set to incredible music.

Gonna be hard to break off and do side missions now.

Just platinum'd the game at 56 hours and I have a 95% completion...I probably won't even bother going for the 100% since I already got the plat.

Spoils just encase
Seems I missed 1 side quest and 1 errand and I haven't bought all the Shadow Outfits or weapons yet. Meh.

Wollan

Hn9Ye6z.gif
<3

MaKTaiL

Just platinum'd the game at 56 hours and I have a 95% completion...I probably won't even bother going for the 100% since I already got the plat.

Spoils just encase
Seems I missed 1 side quest and 1 errand and I haven't bought all the Shadow Outfits or weapons yet. Meh.

Buy all the shadow gear/weapons and you will reach 100%. ;)

NightOnyx

Finished the game and got my platinum as well. What an amazing game! Definitely one of my all time favorites, that's how much I loved it. Everything about the game is so well done, fun, and interesting. I loved just being in the world and doing anything and everything I could. That's not something I can say about many open world games, and definitely not to this degree.

Aloy is such a wonderful character. The world is beautiful and filled with so many interesting things, from the machines, the people, and the many ruins of the old ones. The story was fantastic as well. Not just the main story either, all the side stories were great as well. Which again, is something that does not happen often in open world games. I mean all the stuff you do for the people of Meridian might as well be better than a lot of other games out there, and that wasn't really even the main story.

I'm so happy for Guerilla. It seems like the game is selling really well, and I hope it continues to do well for them. I'm sure eventually they will make a sequel and I can't wait for it. For now I will move on to Nier, which I bought but have been waiting to play. I'll return to Horizon eventually though, I loved it that much. I really hope a new game plus mode gets added, that would be my ideal way to play through it again.

no, you learned how to do it in the beginning.
i didn't fuckin pay attention lol
Duck, Tuck and Roll. Even against multiples snapmaws, I can defeat them by rolling around and running around to avoid their attacks. Place some traps and tripwires to assist you with the combat. The only time I used stealth in this game is against the human enemy and for the hunter trials.

Press R3 to slow down time.
are trip wires the things that you use to like chain them down?

VegiHam

Guys can anyone help? I keep dying over and over on the same mission. It's
Into The Borderlands
and I'm supposed to kill everything. Aloy said
Maybe I can use these machines
but
I can't override them. When I go near the prompt doesn't show up; and if I free them from their chains they kill me so that's no use. Also all the humans here kill me in like 2 hits.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Guys can anyone help? I keep dying over and over on the same mission. It's
Into The Borderlands
and I'm supposed to kill everything. Aloy said
Maybe I can use these machines
but
I can't override them. When I go near the prompt doesn't show up; and if I free them from their chains they kill me so that's no use. Also all the humans here kill me in like 2 hits.

This was one of the few times I found the gameplay didn't work very well. You have to
shoot the robot themselves to get them to escape and start fighting. Try a tearblast arrow. I think you can shoot the chains but I found it to be a little random if it worked or not, even direct shots. Just be careful as they will most likely attack you unless there is a enemy right nearby. I find shooting them with corruption arrows tends to make them lose track of you and they will almost certainly turn on the Eclipse if they're near.

The watchers officially have my favorite machine animation in the game, Just love the way they roll to try and evade your attack or the way they stump there tail against the ground in a show of force

@SunhiLegend

Could you make a gif of the watchers doing there cute animations like the roll and tail stump

Only if you have the time of course

HStallion

One of the things I hope for a sequel is being able to actually tame and control machines long term and maybe even being able to level them up and upgrade them with better armor, weapons, abilities, etc. Treat it like a Hunter class in a lot of MMO or RPG games where Aloy is the long range bow user that lays all sorts of traps to debilitate and damage enemies while sicking her "pet" on the robots to attack and distract them away from Aloy. You've already got the foundation of this with the ability to whistle and call mounts that will also fight alongside you. Just flesh this out a lot and make it far more nuanced and increase the depth of the entire thing from systems to gameplay. It could be awesome if done well. All they need is a wolf robot and I'm in.

Styles

One of the few gripes I have with the game is very light in customization.

I want more armor, weapons and variation.
I also want each class to be much more focused and distinct from one another.

As it stands now the game is a little too RPG-lite in terms of playstyle. I want something deeper.

The watchers officially have my favorite machine animation in the game, Just love the way they roll to try and evade your attack or the way they stump there tail against the ground in a show of force

@SunhiLegend

Could you make a gif of the watchers doing there cute animations like the roll and tail stump

Only if you have the time of course

bmmowGM.gif

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
After beating the main game last week, I came back yesterday to do trophy clean-up. Unlike most plats, I actually wanted to do all of the things needed. The collectibles were fun and interesting. I think the "less is more" approach worked really well in this game. Those GPS caches in Tomb Raider for instance--feels like you are literally collecting a checkmark. By contrast the flower "programs" and vessels were always fun to find and examine.

Exploration and combat stayed fun, I enjoyed changing up my loadouts (sometimes sub-optimimum) just to push myself and find new strategies. Knocking off parts, inflicting statuses, the considerations of robo-dino hunting are well-considered and well-implemented.

My only complaint is that the loot in the game is so boring and uninteresting. Focusing on mods for damage and status growth is not a bad idea, but the game, as if for laughs, hands out green mods for challenging missions.

Even some of the obscure, easter egg treasures (
socks
) are underwhelming.

Still, the game is so satisfying that it hardly needs a well-planned reward system. The game is the reward. I remember the first rockbreaker that I took down--man, what a rush.

The world of this game is far more interesting than I ever would have guessed. I love the backstory, and I loved discovering it through the course of Horizon. Who knows what will be next for our hero (and, of course, Sylens)? I certainly hope that there is more where this came from.

Congratulations to Guerilla. Stay winning

HStallion

Hopefully GG listens to feedback and ignores posts like these.

They should take the best elements of Dragon's Dogma in terms of climbing large enemies and melee gameplay. I'd love to be able to cling to a Stormbirds side and jam my spear right into its heart.

Zackat

They should take the best elements of Dragon's Dogma in terms of climbing large enemies and melee gameplay. I'd love to be able to cling to a Stormbirds side and jam my spear right into its heart.

freedom wars combat with ropecaster

aw yis

vita means life

Elandyll

Banned
Finished it tonight even though I wanted to keep going (now seriously considering platinuming it)...

This game... My current GOTY 2017 for sure. Amazing work from GG, creating a classic open world rpg.
Super solid foundations for a truly mind blowing #2 imo.

Mifune

Mehmber
Hopefully GG listens to feedback and ignores posts like these.

I don't really see what more armor and shit to loot adds accept make it more of an RPG, which I think if they were setting out to make more of an RPG they would have done so.

Now, more interaction in settlements/cities, deeper mount mechanics, things that actually enhance the world and gameplay I'm all for. But more stat-heavy stuff I'm afraid will pull the game away from what made it great.

I like the limited armor and weapon sets. It's nice to not have to change my loadout or check my stats every few minutes when I pick up something new. HZD works because it streamlines all that shit and focuses on the moment-to-moment action. I mean, I love The Witcher 3 more than almost anything, but I don't need this game to be more like that one.

I think GG should aim for a better RPG-lite (I've read tons of great suggestions in this thread) and not a full-on RPG. Sure, sometimes the way to get better is to go deeper with the RPG mechanics but a lot of the stuff I'm seeing is people trying to shoehorn the sequel into a style of game HZD was never intended to be.

It seems like the desire to get the platinum is higher than usual with Horizon. I've been hearing about it a lot.
Personally I got mine a while ago. It was a fun platinum to get.

As I'm playing Mass Effect I can't help but think of replaying Horizon again, truly 1 of the greats. Trying to hold out on replaying it until the dlc drops.

Just completed the mission
Heart of the Nora
and Aloy's
speech at the end was so damn great. Making them get off their knees and telling them the world is much bigger than them.
Awesome awesome awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom