• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn - Preview Thread [Up: All Previews Live]

jayu26

I`m surprised it isn`t bigger.
We have been seeing game sizes of under 50GB in recent months, probably because more developers have started using in game cut scenes (and I would imagine better compression algorithms). Those uncompressed video files ever taking up lot of space.

Gamezone

Gold Member
We have been seeing game sizes of under 50GB in recent months, probably because more developers have started using in game cut scenes (and I would imagine better compression algorithms). Those uncompressed video files ever taking up lot of space.

Yeah, Resident Evil was just above 20 GB, so that`s another huge surprise as well. I don`t think we`ll see multiple discs this gen.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
zz3huwX.gif

WHOA!!!!! And WOW!!!!

Any review copy impressions ?
Just this -

I believe this is a vague tease about Horizon but who knows...

@MolotovCupcake
Ahhhhh. Such a fantastically-designed female character in the game I'm reviewing. I love her. I can't wait for everyone to play.

Probably. Posted yesterday

Badass' post was about the same person saying she "had a date with Aloy" a day or so before she said the quote in Wollan's post.

Planet

There is no such thing as uncompressed video as it makes zero sense. And even lossless compressed video is only for production or to analyse stuff, with humongous resource hunger. In a consumer product, there is always compression (with losses), but there are many grades of possible quality.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
There is no such thing as uncompressed video as it makes zero sense. And even lossless compressed video is only for production or to analyse stuff, with humongous resource hunger. In a consumer product, there is always compression (with losses), but there are many grades of possible quality.
People typically mean as close to lossless as possible when they refer to uncompressed.

Lady Gaia

People typically mean as close to lossless as possible when they refer to uncompressed.

"People" shouldn't be so careless with language. Uncompressed means not compressed. Lossless compression and uncompressed content are identical at output but are still distinct packaging techniques. Regardless, nobody ships video content to consumers either uncompressed or with lossless compression. It's just completely impractical in terms of data volumes (one minute of uncompressed 1080p video is roughly 11GB and I'd be surprised if lossless compression could do much better than cut that in half), whereas uncompressed or lossless compression of audio is increasingly common.

As for "as close to lossless as possible?" You can get as close as you want, all it takes is storage space, so the phrase is meaningless.

Gurish

QB is at 77 on mediocre not really mediocre.

QB has a 77 Metascore. Hardly mediocre.

Remedy didn't lift the embargo early for a 77 MC, regardless of the fact that this score is not as horrible as it used to in previous gens, a 77 MC for GG would be a big disappointment, and in such theoretical case they would definitely prefer the game not having early reviews.

I'm a little surprised by the HUD. I guess I was expecting less. It looks really busy to me.

You can customise it, turn things on and off in the menu or set it to dynamic, so things appear when needed. Pretty good set of options really and GG clearly thought about this for Photo mode and probably just for the fact that they know the game looks amazing.

Care to enlighten us? Or are you just going to conveniently leave because you have no evidence whatsoever but you are too stubborn to accept it?

You know a gif is more than enough to explain anything (In case some insist on not watching the video)

giphy.gif

Edit: I just noticed how Nathan hands cast moving shadows when going back and forth glithing on the prisoners. Nuff said to prove even the glitches in the cutscenes create ingame details. :p

JakR

What the?

Read my previous post and watch the video:

Around 7:50 https://youtu.be/f-OeztLjswE?t=7m50s

Most of the cutscenes are not prerendered, but some are and I think Digital Foundry pointed one out at the end of the Madagaskar pursuit. Evidence was you would have less options in photo mode (I believe camera movement in the scene was disabled).

In general cutscenes going real time to have more space on bluray, but the data for cutscenes rises too.

wapplew

Will the game ship with accessibility option like auto aim in UC4? It would help my weak right stick aiming very much.

Tyaren

The 1080p mode will have: enhanced shadow maps, better anisotropic filtering.

So 4k mode won't have shadow and texture filtering improvements? :/ Other open world games did manage to make improvements in these areas on top of a higher resolution (FFXV, Fallout 4...).

Top Bottom