• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn sales (sell-through) Exceed 2.6 Million (2 weeks), DLC teased

Slixshot

Banned
Those sales numbers are disappointing.

Best game of this gen for me at the moment. I think it should sell better.

Lol bro. Don't worry. First two weeks and the game has made at least 156 mil in revenue given the $60 price tag. Let's say that Sony receives half of that, that's still an Astronomical amount of money in a short amount of time. Given that game's tales tend to be a lot longer these days due to continued praise, word of mouth, continued marketing... well, I think the sales have just started.

ch4fx_

Best game I've played,
since Bloodborne

Congrats GG, looking forward to whatever you have planned for Horizon. I've been throwing money at my TV for weeks now.

Donthizz#

With price drops and bundles Horizon is going to sell a shit ton of more copies.

For dlc please give co-op Dino hunting.

also GG is in the Sony big leagues now.

kirblar

It'll continue to sell fine. It's getting great word-of-mouth (from me included) and Sony is going to keep pushing this game alongside PS4s and Pros all year through the holidays, no doubt.
Yup, the word of mouth is absolutely unreal on this game. I don't normally play this genre, but I'm picking up Horizon once I'm done w/ Zelda. (was going to get ME:A ....but yikes)

Not bad for the first 2 weeks, but it needs to continue to sell to be actually good numbers, at this point there is a good chance it isn't all that above the recouping point.

The game cost over 45 million € to be made https://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2017/02/2...tie-van-nederland-is-gemaakt-6962270-a1547873 , this almost certainly does not include marketing budget which as a general rule is a very good % of the development budget, public rule of thumb is marketing = dev budget.
If we assume that was true for this title (it can be less it can be more), that would put it at roughly 97 million $ as currency conversion stands today (€ was stronger when this game started), so lets call it 100 million to make math easier.

If we assume all these 2.6 million copies were sold at 60$, and that Sony made a 40$ return on each copy, that is a 104 million $ revenue, or a profit of 4 million $.
Although ofc from now on it is all profit, and while console games tend to have short legs, this one being a sony exclusive should still sell a couple more million copies, so long term it should make a nice return, probably enough to pay for the sequel.
Not that it matters all that much to Sony ofc, from a business perspective the money they make from their games is chump change, it is all about growing the platform so they can take their cut from games released on their consoles, and get money from the online subscription.

It does however go to show why outside of some stupidly big titles like halo (which will probably stop being exclusive and show up on PC), publishers are not really doing AAA platform exclusives anymore (those the division sales jesus christ).

They would already be above that number thanks to DD ( around 20% to 30% industry average) and all the different version of the game that cost above $60 .
Either way they most likely in the black so that is good.

Skux

Hmm? We know what it sold, they released the exact number, so what's there to read into? It did well, but they should have just left it at that.

Not the article, but you saying "Sony hasn't exactly been putting out many great new first party IPs this gen" as if the only reason that it sold is because PS4 owners have nothing else to play. They have plenty to play and the game still sold millions.

Credit to SunhiLegend:
ltFC6rX.gif

Huntress = Predictions
Snapmaw = Horizon Sales
lol

GNOSIS

Well deserved! I just bought the game and a PS4 last night.

It was sooner than I planned because of this game. (I was actually waiting for Persona 5.)

Muffdraul

Pretty sure Horizon is my favorite new IP since Dead Space in 2008. I've been a Guerrilla fan since KZ1, so I assumed it was going to be good, but I had no idea they were going to hit it out of the park to this degree. Well done GG, congratulations.

Im already looking forward to a sequel/DLC and I haven't even finished the man story just yet. Its the best new IP this Gen for sure in my book. Im literally finding shit to do, because I don't want the game to "end" just yet lol.

Wouldn't they have done even better if Zelda/Switch hadn't come out? I know I would've bought and played it already.

i don't think zelda or switch had any affect on sales. Especially since this is tracking the same as UC4 which has sold 8.7 million life time.

Zackat

Did they nerf the ropecaster in 1.04 or something? I'm playing through the game a second time, and it seems like more than half of the shots I make with it don't stick. I'm not out of range, they hit the target and I hear them snap immediately. I didn't notice that happening at all during my first play through.

are you ripping off a piece of armor? ropecaster has a lot of tear

Jesb

Congrats. Looking forward to eventually joining in. The pressure had to be on to deliver this time. Another dud and they may of been history.

scoobs

Oh man, if they add DLC expansions ala Witcher 3 Heart of Stone and Blood & Wine.... oooooh I'm excited

I wasn't even planning on grabbing the game at launch due to too many other games to play but I caved in and bought it and I'm glad I did. The game is great. However...

Not sure how I feel about DLC though. I thought maybe, just maybe we'd finally been sold a complete package out of the box on day one. There was no mention of DLC or of a season pass before release which was a big part of me caving in and buying early. For games where DLC and the subsequent repackaged 'Game of the Year' or 'Complete edition' are a given I usually wait and pick it up later not only for the cheaper entry price but so I'm playing the complete package at the same time.

Radec

I wished they made a Stormbird statue like the Thunderjaw. Definitely my favorite machine.

Goes to show how pathetic that boycott from GameFAQs and KiA was.

Rabid fanboys complain about the games they will never play on a system they will never own.

100% deserved. Guerrilla Games is officially on the map now for me. Will closely monitor any future games.

To be fair, they've made nothing but okish shooters thus far...But it looks like they found their niche.

Edit: Resurgence of single player? Lol.
Resident Evil, Zelda and Horizon doing well doesn't mean MP games are suffering. Quite the opposite.

Grisby

Good deal. Game has some really great combat and enemy encounters. Story was decent too for what it was going for.

RDreamer

I wasn't even planning on grabbing the game at launch due to too many other games to play but I caved in and bought it and I'm glad I did. The game is great. However...

Not sure how I feel about DLC though. I thought maybe, just maybe we'd finally been sold a complete package out of the box on day one. There was no mention of DLC or of a season pass before release which was a big part of me caving in and buying early. For games where DLC and the subsequent repackaged 'Game of the Year' or 'Complete edition' are a given I usually wait and pick it up later not only for the cheaper entry price but so I'm playing the complete package at the same time.

You... think the game as-is isn't a complete package?

If you haven't played it yet, then rest assured, it definitely is.

Don't worry, Horizon is as complete as a game as you can get these days. ;)

I'm liking the idea of DLC, I'm not quite finished with the game yet, but from it doesn't seem as though the Banuk tribe feature too heavily in the story. I'd love to be able to visit Ban-Ur.

To be fair, they've made nothing but okish shooters thus far...But it looks like they found their niche.

Resident Evil, Zelda and Horizon doing well doesn't mean MP games are suffering. Quite the opposite.
No, they've made great games before this.

Who said anything about MP games suffering?

What if i told you........you get to play Ross in the expansion.
Then there'll be a lot of machines missing in that DLC, cause assuming it happens some time before Aloy is born and during that time there weren't key machines around, so don't think they'll go that way.
It'll be Aloy, not sure why they would want us to play as a different character when Aloy is new to all of us, I want to keep playing as her.

Then there'll be a lot of machines missing in that DLC, cause assuming it happens some time before Aloy is born and during that time there weren't key machines around, so don't think they'll go that way.
It'll be Aloy, not sure why they would want us to play as a different character when Aloy is new to all of us, I want to keep playing as her.

or maybe Aloy will go to other tribes outside the existing main game? I haven't completed the game but i am sure the world of horizon is much bigger than what's featured in the game..

or maybe we can visit other 'countries' in the world of horizon since the Zero dawn seems to take place in US....

You... think the game as-is isn't a complete package?

If you haven't played it yet, then rest assured, it definitely is.

Don't worry, Horizon is as complete as a game as you can get these days. ;)

I have played it but not that far into it yet (maybe 7-8 hours?) as my time is limited. I don't doubt that there is already a lot of content in the base game but the moment DLC is released then it is not the complete package anymore! ;) I basically never buy post launch DLC. I find that money is better spent elsewhere, on a new game perhaps. If I know a game is going to get DLC then I usually wait for the inevitable GOTY/Complete edition and go with that as it provides the best value and I get to play the entire game/vision of the developers in the one go.

gamerMan

I am so happy for GG. I was honestly surprised that this was their first open world game and it turned out to be so great. Sony has another great developer.

PulseONE

or maybe Aloy will go to other tribes outside the existing main game? I haven't completed the game but i am sure the world of horizon is much bigger than what's featured in the game..

or maybe we can visit other 'countries' in the world of horizon since the Zero dawn seems to take place in US....

More than likely it'll be continuing with Aloy following up on
whatever Sylens is doing with Hades

Guerrilla and Horizon thoroughly deserve this success, and much much more.

This game has easily been my favorite game of the generation so far, and thats not something I expected to happen lol

Yep!

Congrats to Guerrilla. This game easily joins that top tier of games that just feel really special.

Choo choo! This is what happens when you release a quality product and put some marketing efforts behind it. Gamers will shower you with cash!

Congratulations to GG and SCEI. Way to show the industry how exclusives are done.

Hopefully Sony treats all new IPs like this, give them a lot of time in the oven to develop and flesh out the gameplay components, world building and tech.

It pays off in spades and helps the sequels too so its a good investment. Although when you craft so much attention to a single game, the sequel might actually not look as good.

GoW is the next big game I think from them and that one looks to have the same quality and polish as Horizon. That is going to be a real doozy.

Amir0x

Banned

I mean I don't even dislike the Killzone games, I think Killzone 2 is quite good. And Liberation. But this is clearly the next level for them. This is a great game

I can't wait to see how they build on this foundation, because it's already very special.

Top Bottom