• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn Trailer (Guerrilla, post-apocalyptic pre-historic adventure)

jjonez18

This was my game of E3. Would have never expected something like this from the makers of Killzone. I'm guessing this is a holiday 2016 game?

balgajo

I felt a Zelda Wii U vibe in this game. Aonuma is probably jealous.

Different bows and arrows
Ability to slow down time to shoot arrows
Destructible environment
Robot enemies
Open(fucking beautiful) world

Best thing in e3 imo(until now).

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's pretty awesome that in an E3 where The Last Guardian, Shenmue 3 and FFVII remake were announced that a new RPG IP is garnering such a positive response. If I worked at GG, I'd be popping some bottles tonight.

KingK

This game looks incredible. This could easily be my favorite game of E3 in a year that wasn't this batshit crazy.

I'm really curious to see what the RPG parts are. I'm assuming it won't be as in depth as something like the Witcher.

Combat looks like what I wish Monster Hunter was. I think what I was most impressed by aside from the combat was the art/aesthetics. It just looks fucking gorgeous and the overgrown post-apocalypse with roaming robo-dinos is just too damn cool to not put a smile on your face. I've always been impressed by GG's artists and it's wonderful to see them put their talents towards something new. The KZ lore was actually really cool too, just under-utilized in the games. Maybe with this being an RPG they'll actually do some cool world building and story stuff. I'm really looking forward to this. I really need to get a PS4 and finally get into next gen this year.

takriel

Zero Dawn is a stupid subtitle. Everything else seems really nice!

Different bows and arrows
Ability to slow down time to shoot arrows
Destructible environment
Robot enemies
Open(fucking beautiful) world

Best thing in e3 imo(until now).

Zelda's art style is more beautiful though ;) And think of the music!

It's pretty awesome that in an E3 where The Last Guardian, Shenmue 3 and FFVII remake were announced that a new RPG IP is garnering such a positive response. If I worked at GG, I'd be popping some bottles tonight.

i think a lot of the hype comes from the fact that it's a first party exclusive and that the main character is female. i said a lot of the hype, though, not all of it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
i don't get it, looks pretty lame to me. why would robots who have taken over resemble giant robots and stuff? doesn't make sense.

The obvious answer is - because they look cool and fit the story,

But theoretically the robots left over can reproduce and maybe some form of evolution takes place between generations?

pswii60

I thought this looked stunning, but it seemed more action than RPG. In fact, I couldn't see any RPG in there at all. Is there any information on the type of RPG mechanics will be in there? Are we talking more Mass Effect or Fallout? Or Phantasy Star?

JimPanzer

I thought this looked stunning, but it seemed more action than RPG. In fact, I couldn't see any RPG in there at all. Is there any information on the type of RPG mechanics will be in there? Are we talking more Mass Effect or Fallout? Or Phantasy Star?

everything in it gives me a monster hunter vibe. so, character progression through equipment instead of exp.

Outside of the mecha elements that's pretty much how many people wanted a Zelda in the past since Wind Waker.

But the series is stuck in the old Zelda formula with an additional gimmick every time.

not a fan of the chatter and hair/forehead but any game that has giant robot dinosaurs walking around with horsdoeuvre trays seems pretty cool

Kvik

Looks really fun. Female protagonist as well? Sign me up.

I like the bit where she Macgyvered the dino's falling parts and shoot him with it.

Percy

Banned
This looked really really good. The mechanical design alone is exceptional.

Is this Witcher 3 style open world confirmed then or what?

Christ... to be so excited by a Guerrilla game...

In any other year this would have been my hands down game of show, and it still comes close standing right alongside Uncharted 4 and Fallout 4. Extremely impressive demo they had onstage. Wow.

Vaga

lkjzxdiyer.gif

Hated the protagonist making all the little remarks during gameplay, "Sorry, couldn't let you call for help", that cinematic style stuff pulls me right out of the game.

Other than that, the combat and world looks phenomenal, most likely a day 1 purchase.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Seriously, that demo following up Last Guardian put things into crystal clear contrast to me.

Everything going on in that demo visually, technically, mechanically all was goddamn astounding. Like... I wouldn't be surprised if this was the game that took 9 years to develop, not Last Guardian and its demo of a linear puzzle platformer sequence full of scripted "tension"

like a Zoids (favorite franchise) wrpg ± overgrown city (my favorite setting), I will buy a ps4 for this game if its good no question.

The character narration was obnoxious though.

Hated the protagonist making all the little remarks during gameplay, "Sorry, couldn't let you call for help", that cinematic style stuff pulls me right out of the game.

Other than that, the combat and world looks phenomenal, most likely a day 1 purchase.

As many others have stated, she probably wont talk to herself that much in game. That's probably just to give the trailer some added narration.

Talking out of my ass right now, but it really seemed like placeholder dialogue. Like they made the demo then had someone (Laura Bailey?) talk over it. I highly doubt all that banter will be in the final game. At the very least it won't be throughout the entire game.

Mutombo

But why are there robot dinosaurs?

AI Survived the apocalypse and decided to take a few million steps back in evolution and remake itself as dinosaurs?

Isn't this one big paradox, this robot dinosaur?

Yet, when a robot dinosaur occurs in a dimension, all your base are belong to... us?

SJRB

Gold Member
Man this demo was incredibly well done.

At the start you think it's some kind of post-apocalyptic yet remarkably pre-historic game and then suddenly ROBOT DINOSAURS. Holy shit that was so good.

Super excited for this one, hopefully we get more info about the game the upcoming days.

But why are there robot dinosaurs?

AI Survived the apocalypse and decided to take a few million steps back in evolution and remake itself as dinosaurs?

Isn't this one big paradox, this robot dinosaur?

Yet, when a robot dinosaur occurs in a dimension, all your base are belong to... us?

Its a video game man. Theyll either explain in game or skip around it, either way it looks cool and seems to play well so idrc.

KooopaKid

Banned
The design of everything is amazing. Looks spectacular. Not sold on the gameplay yet, reminded me of Monster Hunter which I don't like. Robots acting as living animals is a bit weird too.

This was definitely the biggest surprise this E3 for me and the one showcasing where Guerilla redeemed themselves after the somewhat mediocre launch title of KillZone Shadow Fall.

Looks like Sony has another system seller after the Uncharted franchise, something they always hoped KillZone would have done but never quite achieved.

Top Bottom