• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn: What they didn't show at the conference + Interview (PS Access)

Going by the few interviews they (GG) gave and their focus on answering its an "action RPG" with emphasis on the action part, im expecting light RPG elements. I think wishing for something close to The Witcher or Mass Effect is wishing for something thats not going to happen. My recommendation is to keep your hopes low in that department.

I just want the story to have dialog wheel with branching paths. Combat already looks like it will be way above anything in The Witcher or Mass Effect so not an issue. She's a hunter so I assume her skills will focused around combat, crafting and survival. No magic or other fantasy staples.

I'm still amazed...

The PS4's GPU is a Radeon HD 7850 downclocked to 800 MHZ. Yeah it has a big VRAM pool but it's still on paper, very weak by today's GPU standards.

Very entry level.

I am simply amazed that they are pushing so much in the screen given the PS4's specs. Simply amazing.

Just how...?

GG are very talented indeed.

Closed system with low level API. GPU compute. Excellent toolchain and know how. Custom game engine built purposely for the hardware. Magic Sony first party dust. While the GPU on paper may resemble a 7850, no developer on PC was able to max it out due to limitations of DX11, windows etc. On PS4 they can pretty much customize how the GPU handles work and can push it further to theoretical Max.

kyser73

Imru’ al-Qays;169528252 said:
I guess I'm still hoping that this game won't just be a third person shooter, but does the fact that they specify that Aloy's class is machine huntress imply that there might be other classes?

It's not a 'class'. It what she, and as explained in the trailer her tribe, do. Much like Rivalt is a Witcher and doesn't have a 'class' as such, she from a tribe that hunt machines - and who were the first ones to do it.

What is it with RPG people and the need to put everything into a 'class'?

Which begs the question - are Aloy's tribe the only ones who hunt the robots? Maybe there will be conflict with tribes who view the robos as sacred, or who view what her tribe do as too risky.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's not a 'class'. It what she, and as explained in the trailer her tribe, do. Much like Rivalt is a Witcher and doesn't have a 'class' as such, she from a tribe that hunt machines - and who were the first ones to do it.

What is it with RPG people and the need to put everything into a 'class'?

Which begs the question - are Aloy's tribe the only ones who hunt the robots? Maybe there will be conflict with tribes who view the robos as sacred, or who view what her tribe do as too risky.

The D&D effect.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm still amazed...

The PS4's GPU is a Radeon HD 7850 downclocked to 800 MHZ. Yeah it has a big VRAM pool but it's still on paper, very weak by today's GPU standards.

Very entry level.

I am simply amazed that they are pushing so much in the screen given the PS4's specs. Simply amazing.

Just how...?

GG are very talented indeed.

Its been said but, Liverpool(PS4 GPU)is still 10x more powerful than Xenos(360 GPU)for example.

What devs got out of the Xenos was absolutely amazing, and if this is 10x that, even if its a low to midrange card in the modern era, its still going to produce amazing results when properly coded for, because we are only used to 7th gen graphics as a barometer.

I think the only thing the PS4's GPU says about power is that GPU's in between the 7th and 8th gen got really powerful for a low to midrange card to produce results like this. I don't think anyone would have complain about the PS4's GPU, its the CPU that usually holds everything up

Rpg term is so broad, hard to tell what he meant as rpg. Is it rpg with dialog options and branching story, do they mean rpg in character skill as in you can specialize your playstyle so my Aloy will play very differently than your Aloy etc.

How about "role play"? The abbreviation of the terminology does not make it separate from the term it is derivative by just like I expect "FPS" to be in "first person".

Looks fuckin good. I don't even have a PS4 and I'm hyped for this. Might sway me in that direction if it gets good reviews. I just love the character and enemy design, and the world they're putting forth here. Can't wait to see more.

How about "role play"? The abbreviation of the terminology does not make it separate from the term it is derivative by just like I expect "FPS" to be in "first person".

I mean there are so many kind of rpg that him stressing that the game is very much an rpg didn't tell us much about what kind of game it is.

I mean there are so many kind of rpg that him stressing that the game is very much an rpg didn't tell us much about what kind of game it is.

He quoted inspiration from Monster Hunter. And judging from the video, I believe that is the kind of RPG feature he was referring to.

That it's dumb as hell.

The game doesn't look bad, but if the 'mystery' behind the robos is the driving force? Good luck to them.

The mystery behind the robots is probably linked to the fate of the previous human civilization. What else would or could it be about?

IndustryX

Sony published the following titles between February 2009 & March 2010 (1 calendar year).

- Killzone 2.
- inFamous.
- Uncharted 2.
- Heavy Rain.
- God of War 3.
- Demon's Souls.
- Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time.
- Singstar.
- Flower.
- Fat Princess.
- Mag.
- MLB: The Show.

That was probably the best 1 year period for any publisher ever, so having a stacked year is not foreign to them.

I forgot what an unbelievable year that was.. 4 of my top 10 favorite games of last gen in that year.

Jigorath

Banned
Sony published the following titles between February 2009 & March 2010 (1 calendar year).

- Killzone 2.
- inFamous.
- Uncharted 2.
- Heavy Rain.
- God of War 3.
- Demon's Souls.
- Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time.
- Singstar.
- Flower.
- Fat Princess.
- Mag.
- MLB: The Show.

That was probably the best 1 year period for any publisher ever, so having a stacked year is not foreign to them.

That was an insane year. So far for Sony published titles 2016 looks like...

- Uncharted 4
- Ratchet & Clank
- Horizon: Zero Dawn
- Dreams
- The Last Guardian
- Rigs
- Gran Turismo 7?
- Gravity Rush 2?

Not 2009-tier but going to be a great year regardless.

Psoelberg

- Every single location seen in the trailer is explorable.

w9RlLZO.png

hnRrcld.png

Does that mean I can explore this city (just in a more decayed state)? Damn!

Peru

I wish it wasn't so RPG-y in leveling up. I wish skill only (and weapons) determined your success in battle.

Pimpbaa

Probably my most wanted game that was shown at E3. Sequels and remakes of fan favourites are good and all, but potentially awesome new IPs will usually be far more interesting to me. Especially when it's a developer that is making something drastically different from what they usually do.

Game4life

Banned

- Uncharted 4
- Ratchet & Clank
- Dreams
- The Last Guardian
- Rigs
- Gran Turismo 7?
- Gravity Rush 2?

With UC4, Horizon ,Last Guardian , SF5 in the same year along with the rest of the games It def has the potential to top 2009!

Walpurgis

Banned
I wish it wasn't so RPG-y in leveling up. I wish skill only (and weapons) determined your success in battle.

It looked very skill based in the demo. I think it will be like The Witcher 3 where even when fighting weaker enemies, you must keep your guard up (on Death March at least). Killzone 2 was very skill based so I think this is a reasonable assumption. I also think the character progression will be like Geralt's. Geralt is a monster hunter and only uses a sword but there is a surprising amount of customisation when it comes to his progression, skills and playstyle. I expect Aloy to have skill trees like traps, offense, defense, etc. Maybe there will be a skill tree for technological things like dino pets or piloting machines.

Walpurgis

Banned

- Uncharted 4
- Ratchet & Clank
- Dreams
- The Last Guardian
- Rigs
- Gran Turismo 7?
- Gravity Rush 2?

If you consider the fact that MLB is annual, no one cares about Singstar, Morpheus is launching with a bunch of games in 2016 and that we have no idea what is coming in holiday 2016, I think it has a good chance at topping 2009.

I hope this doesnt suffer the same fate as Legend of Dragoon.

Why would you think it would? The situations are nothing alike, and TLoD came out at a time when the different divisions of Sony were much more disparate. They're not going to half-arse the release of a game like Horizon when it's probably going to come in about $50 million before marketing.

That would be a ridiculous lineup. Street Fighter V, Uncharted 4, Ratchet & Clank, The Last Guardian, Horizon, GT7 and God Of War 4 in one calendar year? Seems unlikely. Plus Dreams and the new Quantic Dream game will probably get major attention at the Paris show in addition what is revealed at TGS.
Gravity Rush 2 has to be next year.

Meaty

Why would you think it would? The situations are nothing alike, and TLoD came out at a time when the different divisions of Sony were much more disparate. They're not going to half-arse the release of a game like Horizon when it's probably going to come in about $50 million before marketing.

Im talking about lack of sequels =/

so what youre saying is they are living in an enclosed world and that everything even the sun/weather is being controlled by someone.

Yoo I think you're right. In the manga
Claymore
the character's think they're monster hunters in a medieval time, but they where actually a weapons testing world for an advanced race the whole time. I can totally see that happening.

Top Bottom