• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn will offer frame rate mode with the Day One Patch on PS4 Pro

I disagree, 30fps is choppy and has laggy controller response. I would much rather play at 40-60 variable. The only way an unlocked framerate can be worse is if a game usually stays in the low 30s.

If you think 30fps is smooth, its probably because your TV has really good frame interpolation. I have seen some TVs make locked 30fps games look almost as smooth as 60fps.

I disagree, nothing choppy about it. Destiny is as smooth playing a game as there is.

Peterthumpa

That's not what I said, the reasons why movies look smooth at 24fps is nothing to do with it.

A game CAN look smooth at 30fps, but a game at 60 will (mostly) always look smoother.

The reason is mostly related to proper motion blur and frame consistency, AFAIK.
And yeah, I do agree with your second statement, I'm just saying that "30 FPS games can't be smooth" is just not true.

danowat

Banned
The reason is mostly related to proper motion blur and frame consistency, AFAIK.
And yeah, I do agree with your second statement, I'm just saying that "30 FPS games can't be smooth" is just not true.

It's a tough one, "smooth" is subjective, as a metric different people feel different things about it, but even the smoothest 30fps experience will feel sluggish after a 60fps experience.

Technically, it can be smooth, if it's solid with no drops or tearing, but 60 will be smoother.

Give me 30 or 60. Unlocked is all over the place, the inconsistency is super jarring to me. I tried the Pro patch for FFXV last night and nope'd right out of it. A stable 30 is vastly superior IMO.

Conduit

Banned
I disagree, 30fps is choppy and has laggy controller response. I would much rather play at 40-60 variable. The only way an unlocked framerate can be worse is if a game usually stays in the low 30s.

If you think 30fps is smooth, its probably because your TV has really good frame interpolation. I have seen some TVs make locked 30fps games look almost as smooth as 60fps.

Forza Horizon 3 and Driveclub are 30fps games and they are smooth as fuck.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Coming very soon.

The performance mode is not yet available, however, but we'll test it when it is!

Awesome to hear.

Keep up the strong work. (Any reason why Pro wasn't in the For Honor video? I appreciated the PC but was interested in Pro differences as well) great videos lately!

Fredrik

Nice! Yet another reason to jump in on a Pro. Hopefully it stays close to 60fps, TR DE was fine imo and I think it hovered around 45-55fps, made the XB1 version look really dated. No lower than that and I'll go for the smoother option over the prettier option any day.

Dahaka

variable 30-60 is good for forward compatibility, assuming the PS5 offers easy BC to PS4 games. In that case you will have a stable 60fps through brute force.

Should always be an option.

DieH@rd

Banned
That's surprising, they were fully focused on promoting it as 30fps-only game.

I presume it will have a level of performance like First Light had on base PS4, hovering between 35-45.

Nowhere sold 60 fps. More like unlocked 60 fps.

Also they likely updated the engine and added more features to it after Shadow Fall, which is a launch title.

That's not the point. The point is that KZ:SF targeted 60 FPS (and it's pretty close on Pro) especially in MP and so the engine has been used in 30+ FPS games before. And it wouldn't make sense to add limitations to the engine instead of improving it.

Lucifon

So 1080p with unlocked framerate. Unless it's mostly 60 I think I'll stick to the better visuals, the game looks stunning.

BigTnaples

So 1080p with unlocked framerate. Unless it's mostly 60 I think I'll stick to the better visuals, the game looks stunning.

Thing is, the 1080p mode will likely have other enhancements. Like effects, LoD, etc.

I guess we'll have to see.

I'll probably run 4K mode, but definitley interested in seeing what the HFR mode visual enhancements are.

heringer

variable 30-60 is good for forward compatibility, assuming the PS5 offers easy BC to PS4 games. In that case you will have a stable 60fps through brute force.

Should always be an option.

This is actually a very good point. Never thought of that.

He means in terms of total market, not just GAF which is mainly core gamers.

and he'd still be wrong. I don't know why everyone assumes the mass market is just down for whatever. People still complain when a game doesn't 'feel right'. My friends still notice and complain when BF1 drops below 60fps on PS4 Pro, for example.

(although there can be a bit of an uncanny valley affect at 60)

There's no 'uncanny valley' affect at 60fps. It only feels that way when you view 60fps footage as a bystander who's used to 30fps gaming. Actually playing 60fps games is another story entirely.

BigTnaples

I remember reading once that the engine is not designed to run at 60 fps so I guess it will be a locked 30 fps.

What?

Their launch game ran at 60fps. Albiet not perfectly. (By the way where is the NX Gamer analysis on Boost Mode and Shadowfall?)

anddo0

In this thread I'm in the minority I guess.

Having played countless PC games with fluctuating FPS due to average hardware. I'm fine with this; Killzone, Infamous, none of these were an issue.. However, given the option I'd probably lean towards locked 30 with better visuals.

Van Bur3n

Try playing a 60 fps game extensively and then go back to a 30 fps one and tell me that's "silky smooth". It looks choppy as hell and it takes a while for your eyes to adjust back to it. If anything, we should be calling 30 fps "cinematic", to quote the ever wise Ubisoft.

That said, I'm all for more of these options for console games that let players choose their own preferences. Me personally, I'll take the game running smoothly over resolution any day. HD is HD to me.

If I can get a toggle, it's fine by me. More options are always good. Like they did in Killzone SF. But don't force me to live with an uncapped framerate like some recent titles.

Rellik

Try playing a 60 fps game extensively and then go back to a 30 fps one and tell me that's "silky smooth". It looks choppy as hell and it takes a while for your eyes to adjust back to it. If anything, we should be calling 30 fps "cinematic", to quote the ever wise Ubisoft.

That said, I'm all for more of these options for console games that let players choose their own preferences. Me personally, I'll take the game running smoothly over resolution any day. HD is HD to me.

Yep. I went from a 60fps game to 4K mode on Tomb Raider and it was really weird on my eyes for the first 10 minutes. But it was too blurry in the framerate mode.

Options aren't a bad thing so I welcome this in Horizon.

Jonboy

The wording is a bit odd. It sounds like there will be no visual sacrifices while running in the higher framrerate mode...other than no 4K or supersampling on 1080 displays.

Is that correct?

So the enhanced shadow maps and better anisotropic filtering.are confirmed to be in the 1080p mode only, alongisde the improved FPS. I wish those graphical additions were in the high resolution mode too.

BigTnaples

So the enhanced shadow maps and better anisotropic filtering.are confirmed to be in the 1080p mode only, alongisde the improved FPS. I wish those graphical additions were in the high resolution mode too.

Nice. It would be nice to have both, but there is only so much power to work with.

Awesome to see options like this though.

dr_rus

Very interesting. The problem with these modes is that they're completely useless unless they're running at a locked 30/60.

A variable framerate in the 40-50 range is worse than a locked 30, for most people.

They are not useless and 40-50 is a lot better than locked 30 for a lot of people.

Tripolygon

Banned
Whiners are always the loudest. Gane reviews well, thread will be full of people that pick it apart. Just the norm here. Also that thread just started not long ago give some time.
Ain't that the truth. I remember that TLoU remaster thread when digital foundry noted that 1800p 60fps dropped some frames. People went crazy, games media ran with it. Naughtydog fixed it and removed the option for 1080p TV owners.

Ferr986

I just hope the 30fps mode is locked as fuck and without framepacing.

I like 60 fps games better, but unlocked variable is a mess, and I'm sure the Pro can't handle this game at steady 60 fps.

Ain't that the truth. I remember that TLoU remaster thread when digital foundry noted that 1800p 60fps dropped some frames. People went crazy, games media ran with it. Naughtydog fixed it and removed the option for 1080p TV owners.

And this is why the complaining was good and why Naughty Dog was at fault here:

1) complaining was good because ND actually fixed the framerate because of it.
2) ND fucked it up because it took out that fixed framerate with downsampling to 1080p users without a reason.

Blaming the users for this is mindblowing, regardless what do you think about the performance of the game pre-patch. ND fucked it up.

martino

Very interesting. The problem with these modes is that they're completely useless unless they're running at a locked 30/60.

A variable framerate in the 40-50 range is worse than a locked 30, for most people.

imagine they could patch the console to support hdmi 3.0 variable refresh rate...
brbusingimaginationsinceimprobable.gif

pottuvoi

Banned
imagine they could patch the console to support hdmi 3.0 variable refresh rate...
brbusingimaginationsinceimprobable.gif
Proper widely available support for consoles and displays would change console gaming and development. (And perhaps movies.)

Top Bottom