• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn will offer frame rate mode with the Day One Patch on PS4 Pro

Glomby

They really aren't. They are 30fps.

They are though. Like I played Horizon 3 on PC and get 30-90fps. When it's above 60 it's great and so much better but below 60 is way to inconsistent. I prefer 30 locked to 40-60 any day. That's why I need 120-144fps in competive games or I can't stand it.

30fps isn't bad when it is well executed for the game/genre. It's not great and 60fps would be way better but perfectly locked 30 with perfect frame pacing is better then 30-60 will ever be.

I might also be spoiled by my 165Hz g-sync monitor but I can easily go from that monitor to play a 30fps console game, as long as it's perfectly locked.

komorebi

Not buying this game anymore anyway, but this is disappointing to hear personally. I'm one who prefers locked frame rates at either 30 or 60.

NXGamer

What?

Their launch game ran at 60fps. Albiet not perfectly. (By the way where is the NX Gamer analysis on Boost Mode and Shadowfall?)
Yeah, really sorry but I was working all weekend and the week was a LoOng one. Plan to be home tonight and will edit togetheir and upload, a big and thorough test on Boost mode.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Ain't that the truth. I remember that TLoU remaster thread when digital foundry noted that 1800p 60fps dropped some frames. People went crazy, games media ran with it. Naughtydog fixed it and removed the option for 1080p TV owners.
Stop spreading misinformation.

Naughty Dog fixed the framerate issues in 1800p mode because "people went crazy". But they also locked people on 1080p TVs to 1080p, for no god damn reason, even in the 4k30fps mode. The narrative that it's DF's fault that we lost downsampling is entirely false.

Not buying this game anymore anyway, but this is disappointing to hear personally. I'm one who prefers locked frame rates at either 30 or 60.

OK. I mean, huh? What's disappointing about it. Why even have a metric for something you don't even want?

This is nice for those that want a higher frame rate. I will go with the improved visuals though. Looking forward to this. Day one digital

komorebi

OK. I mean, huh? What's disappointing about it. Why even have a metric for something you don't even want?

This is nice for those that want a higher frame rate. I will go with the improved visuals though. Looking forward to this. Day one digital

Amazingly, I listed my reason for disappointment in my very post.

Since you want to know, I WAS interested in this game. I am no longer interested in buying it now that it's out and I've seen enough to make up my mind.

Amazingly, I listed my reason for disappointment in my very post.

Since you want to know, I WAS interested in this game. I am no longer interested in buying it now that it's out and I've seen enough to make up my mind.

Again, you like locked frame rates, but why be disappointed something you don't want does not provide something you'd like? You didn't want the game in the first place.

Back in the day smooth unlocked framerates were a lot easier to achieve with graphic cards advancing faster into higher frequency instead of relying on more cores. Complex, dynamic lighting and reflections also make loads more uneven.

In the early 2000s you could find plenty of games that looked smooth at something like 42fps on PC, that's because of pretty solid framepacing and low standard-deviation.
You can still find games that look smooth at unlocked framerates in the high 40s, but it's rare and usually it's not in games with a pretty advanced lighting engine.

So, yea... I'd too say locked 30 is probably better here, but guerilla have some real magicians on their team so who knows,,,

Tripolygon

Banned
Stop spreading misinformation.

Naughty Dog fixed the framerate issues in 1800p mode because "people went crazy". But they also locked people on 1080p TVs to 1080p, for no god damn reason, even in the 4k30fps mode. The narrative that it's DF's fault that we lost downsampling is entirely false.
Id like you to specifically point out the misinformation in my comment. Highlight or put it in bold for me, will you?

Tripolygon

Banned
Blaming the users for this is mindblowing, regardless what do you think about the performance of the game pre-patch. ND fucked it up.
You are free to assign blame on whomever you want. I blame the users that whined and blew that whole thing out of proportion. ND released one of the most competent PS4 Pro patches. They had 1080p 30, 1080p 60, 4K 30 and 1800p 55 to 60ish.

I was happily content with playing at 1800p 60ish fps then the complaining started. So I blame the complainers, the devs worked hard on that patch so even though as a PS4 Pro owner I cant blame them because its just a game, and ill be getting a 4K TV sooner than I wanted to.

luffeN

Did everyone forget Vanquish on 360? People thought it was running at 60 but it was actually buttery smooth 30 (me included). So yes, 30 can be smooth.

Ferr986

You are free to assign blame on whomever you want. I blame the users that whined and blew that whole thing out of proportion. ND released one of the most competent PS4 Pro patches. They had 1080p 30, 1080p 60, 4K 30 and 1800p 55 to 60ish.

I was happily content with playing at 1800p 60ish fps then the complaining started. So I blame the complainers, the devs worked hard on that patch so even though as a PS4 Pro owner I cant blame them because its just a game, and ill be getting a 4K TV sooner than I wanted to.

Fair enough, but to me this reads as "this is fine by me so you're wrong".

Anyways, there's no justification for ND blocking the downsampling mode to 1080p owners no matter how you spin it. Everyone works hard with Pro patches, not just ND, and there has been more competent Pro patches than this one.

I don't care about downsampling because it doesn't affect me much, same as you with the 50 to 60ish fps, that doesn't mean it was wrong to take it out.

thelastword

Banned
Truant said:
Very interesting. The problem with these modes is that they're completely useless unless they're running at a locked 30/60.

A variable framerate in the 40-50 range is worse than a locked 30, for most people.

If it is already rock solid 30fps,why do they bother with the above?

A framerate that's mostly 40-60fps is superior to 30fps anyday, at least you have the option of running the game at locked 30fps as you prefer it that way, saying the unlocked mode is useless is asinine at best.....If this game runs 45-60fps at 1080p and Guerilla optimizes it further down the road we get smoother framerates, when the PS5 launches with BC, we get smoother framerates automatically...What exactly do we get if the framerate is capped 30fps only? As an aside, I and many others prefer to play these games at an unlocked mode, better for running around, better for traversal, better during combat (when you bob weave, tumble and roll), controller response is superior.....

Unless it's a steady 60fps they can keep it. I would much rather reap the benefits of UHD in such a beautiful open world game.
And my first time playing will be at UHD quality, however my successive playthroughs will be at 60fps or unlocked framerate....Options are a hell of a thing now innit..........So many are foreign to such a simple concept .

Can I have a mode with improved anisotropic filtering, please? :)
Games look so, sooo much better with competent texture filtering. It's such a small but so important thing to improve visuals imo. So far no one could confirm that the current 4K Pro version has improved texture filtering. :/
I saw slightly better LOD/DD and filtering on the PRO version, some parts I saw slightly better textures on rocks, but that may be the better filtering or lod...Nothing too eye catching mind you, saw more saturated colors on Vanilla PS4 against PRO too, but that may be HDR vs SDR type differences on the latter bit..

Nice! Yet another reason to jump in on a Pro. Hopefully it stays close to 60fps, TR DE was fine imo and I think it hovered around 45-55fps, made the XB1 version look really dated. No lower than that and I'll go for the smoother option over the prettier option any day.
Heh, those metrics have gone up since then, boost mode puts it closer to a solid 60fps than before....Another thumbs up and plus sign for the detriment that is unlocked mode eh! ;)

What?

Their launch game ran at 60fps. Albiet not perfectly. (By the way where is the NX Gamer analysis on Boost Mode and Shadowfall?)
Man I have been waiting for NXgamer for a minute, checked his site all this weekend for "dem boost mode videos"........Ehh, at least now that GG is finished with HZD, we can pepper their twitter for a Pro patch for Killzone Shadowfall with 16xAF, TAA and 2160p checkerboarding.....Hermen Hulst? Please make this happen if you're reading this post....

60 fps games do not have to be locked they just have to be stable for most of the game. Many celebrated 60 fps games are not locked lol.
Sometimes I wonder what games many of these persons have been playing, COD was never a locked 60fps even on the 360 last gen, you would have thought that such persons have just been showering with 60fps locked games for more than a minute..

Interestingly, the same people who want 30fps locked have no problems with games like WItcher 3 or games which tumble to the teens, but complain for days when an option is given to people to enjoy their games at 40-60fps.

This post is just bonkers, you are not interested in the game, ok great, why are you interested in telling people that unlocked framerate is no good when you're not interested in playing the game and also when there's an option for a locked 30fps anyway....I suspect the review thread will be quite loaded, if this post is any indication...

dr_rus

Did everyone forget Vanquish on 360? People thought it was running at 60 but it was actually buttery smooth 30 (me included). So yes, 30 can be smooth.

People really thought that? Maybe they forgot to turn off frame interpolation on their TVs?

Top Bottom