• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn won't be 'tutorialised'; RPG systems detailed

KaoteK

I really like that the game leaves you to your own devices to learn on your own, it makes the world more believable and gameplay much more rewarding.

This game is one of the best surprises of E3, I'm really happy that Guerilla gets to make a game that isn't Killzone.

CHC

Please don't be destiny 2.0, please don't be destiny 2.0......

I mean it seems to have very little in common with Destiny. It's strictly single player, for one thing, and no one has said the word "loot" yet while promoting it. Seems more about the world and showing off a cool place rather than grinding out things for reward. That's my own speculation, but I'm pretty confident.

Man, that must feel good after 10 years of getting shit for making Killzone lol

This made me chuckle lol It must be overwhelming for them to receive so much DESERVED good from gamers.

Only thing we need to lock down is story and this is shapin up to be GOAT

Baalzebup

Everything I've heard and seen about this game so far has been good or better. I really hope they can deliver what they are selling, because it they can, Horizon can easily become GOTY.

Sevyne

While many games kind of got lost in the overwhelming hype of TLG, FF7, Shenmue 3, and Nier (the next day of course), this game still managed to stand out a lot for me. Looks great, and I'm really liking the things I'm hearing about it so far. Can't wait to see a little more of it.

You know, Britain was full of tribes before the Romans showed up. Yes, tribes of native white people, in clothes made of animal skins and furs.

Not only Britain, basically all people's went through a tribal phase. I really worry about the people that fail to understand this. It's just silly reading comments like "Hey, they look like Indians yet they are white". Just look at early history Germans, Celts, Bretons, Franks, Saxons etc. etc.

I mean it seems to have very little in common with Destiny.
Eh, wasn't referring to mechanics, gameplay etc. My concern is a PR bait and switch. Selling one game to the public then once in hand turns out to be something different with strings attached. I'm confident in gg as well and am hype. . I just take nothing at word, or even screen shot, value anymore.

Sorral

This just keeps on getting better and better.

Maaaan, I wish there was a way to get my hands on the demo and play it.

Eh, wasn't referring to mechanics, gameplay etc. My concern is a PR bait and switch. Selling one game to the public then once in hand turns out to be something different with strings attached. I'm confident in gg as well and am hype. . I just ke nothing at word, or even screen shot, value anymore.

Many sites and a lot of people already seen the demo being played differently and posted impressions. It would be a PR disaster and a disappointment for many to drastically change it like you're implying.

Yes, but does it in a way that sounds very "Tomb Raider 2013".
Tacked-on "RPG Elements" on Action games.

I have seen nothing to support what you said. What makes you think it is tacked on? We have not had access to enough information to make a judgment on that.

Tomb Raider was never classified as or supposed to a RPG. It just had light RPG elements.

Tratorn

The big thing is how repetitive hunting the dinos will feel.

Yeah, this is also one of my two concerns. The other one is: Is there something to do besides hunting?

I don't expect Witcher 3 kind of content since Horizon is probably more on the action than RPG side, but in an open world game there should be some variety in terms of things you can do.

Besides that, everything sounds amazing about the game. Can't wait to see more.

Yeah, this is also one of my two concerns. The other one is: Is there something to do besides hunting?

I don't expect Witcher 3 kind of content since Horizon is probably more on the action than RPG side, but in an open world game there should be some variety in terms of things you can do.

I think it was a stream, but it might have been an article where they described a city reminding them of a FFXII city. Just look at this city, pretty sure there will be enough to do besides hunting robosaurs. https://youtu.be/Fkg5UVTsKCE?t=1m58s

M.D

This made me chuckle lol It must be overwhelming for them to receive so much DESERVED good from gamers.

I'm getting very good vibes from them about the story and the world. Oh, and isn't the Fallout New Vegas the writer for this?

BTW, don't know if it's worth a thread but

Asad Qizilbash ‏@aqizil 7m7 minutes ago
Awards for #LastGuardian #HorizonZeroDawn #Uncharted4. Huge Congrats to all the studios! #E32015 #E3

CH0tlUsVEAAheeY.jpg:large

napata

I have seen nothing to support what you said. What makes you think it is tacked on? We have not had access to enough information to make a judgment on that.

Tomb Raider was never classified as or supposed to a RPG. It just had light RPG elements.

Shadows of Mordor would've been a better example. It was also revealed as an open world RPG.

There's quests with different factions, there's gathering resources from the world (not just from killing things), etc.

Boss Man

So like, all of the games that everyone has wanted ever were announced and this new game is still my most anticipated. How'd they do that

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to those hires hopefully paying off that will hopefully be addressing that previous weakness and get the cool lore into the actual game's story. I hope they deliver since this aspect is shaping up really good too, I'm already liking Aloy a lot.

spons

Gold Member
I'm ready to be blown away by the depth and complexity of this technological marvel to be.

Smoolio

Given the talent hired among other more explicit evidence, you can be pretty certain there will be non-linear dialogue systems. I am sure they'll get onto that at a later point.

Hope so, really don't care for another open world action"rpg" with a forgettable 8hour linear story piercing through it, so far we have only seen rpg systems akin to the rpg "elements" found in these types of games; unity, mordor, batman etc

Zakalwe

Banned
"We don't tutorialise the game"

" [The character in the demo] is already an advanced character about level 12, I think."

Yet in the footage we still have a lot of handholding voiced inner monologue. This is the kind of tutorialising many of us wish I avoid.

Hopefully the footage was just a demo and not actually a latter part of the game.

VanWinkle

Shadows of Mordor would've been a better example. It was also revealed as an open world RPG.

If I'm not mistaken, Shadows of Mordor was always described as an open world action game with RPG elements. Which is accurate. This game, from everything we've heard, is a legit open world RPG.

hawk2025

"We don't tutorialise the game"

" [The character in the demo] is already an advanced character about level 12, I think."

Yet in the footage we still have a lot of handholding voiced inner monologue. This is the kind of tutorialising many of us wish I avoid.

Hopefully the footage was just a demo and not actually a latter part of the game.

Clearly the dialogue was for the purpose of the trailer.

Eh, the talking is fine. That's not even the type of tutorialising they are taking about here anyway.

Also, in the demo, she was in the middle of a quest to harvest the containers from the deer robots. The fight with the dino looking machine was something that happened during the quest.

Tratorn

There's quests with different factions, there's gathering resources from the world (not just from killing things), etc.

I think it was a stream, but it might have been an article where they described a city reminding them of a FFXII city. Just look at this city, pretty sure there will be enough to do besides hunting robosaurs. https://youtu.be/Fkg5UVTsKCE?t=1m58s

Yeah, I read about these things too. But hopefully these quests aren't only limited to "kill monster X" or "gather 5 of ressource Y".

The "FFXII-like city" statement is from the gametrailers stream iirc and makes me hopeful though. It probably won't be only a place where you just buy/sell stuff then and leave for your next hunt.

Maybe i'm just too pessimistic because the game sounds a bit too good to be true for me. ;)

Zakalwe

Banned
Eh, the talking is fine. That's not even the type of tutorialising they are taking about here anyway.

It should be though, because this kind of dialogue does exactly what they say they're trying to avoid: it holds the player's hand.

I remain cautiously optimistic, this all sounds great, but we've definitely heard it all before.

Top Bottom