• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn won't be 'tutorialised'; RPG systems detailed

I'm getting very good vibes from them about the story and the world. Oh, and isn't the Fallout New Vegas the writer for this?

BTW, don't know if it's worth a thread but

Asad Qizilbash ‏@aqizil 7m7 minutes ago
Awards for #LastGuardian #HorizonZeroDawn #Uncharted4. Huge Congrats to all the studios! #E32015 #E3
DAMN

Look at all that recognition!

Hope so, really don't care for another open world action"rpg" with a forgettable 8hour linear story piercing through it, so far we have only seen rpg systems akin to the rpg "elements" found in these types of games; unity, mordor, batman etc

Don't wanna get this publicly available information taken down, so I'll quote with no context:

"hire writers to write thousands of lines of procedural dialogue"
"working with the template for a deeply complex, multivariable AI-driven system" - this in regards specifically to writing dialogue fyi.

This all but confirms proper dialogue trees. Also, they hired the Fallout New Vegas writer, it's in good hands that value dynamic story. Also, play The Witcher 3, while you're waiting for Fallout 4. Your dialogue tree interest can be satiated until Horizon releases, I imagine.

VanWinkle

"We don't tutorialise the game"

" [The character in the demo] is already an advanced character about level 12, I think."

Yet in the footage we still have a lot of handholding voiced inner monologue. This is the kind of tutorialising many of us wish I avoid.

Hopefully the footage was just a demo and not actually a latter part of the game.

I doubt that's in the game proper. If the reddit post I saw earlier is anything to go by, the same demo was played live behind closed doors and didn't have nearly the amount of talking.

Hastati

This game is sounding like their take on Monster Hunter to me. Which is AWESOME. Really looking forward to it. I just hope it has enough depth, customization and item-finding to warrant replays. Also I hope it has a lot of enemy variety, games like these are okay without a strong narrative but really need varied and interesting boss monsters. And a lot of them.

Not only Britain, basically all people's went through a tribal phase. I really worry about the people that fail to understand this. It's just silly reading comments like "Hey, they look like Indians yet they are white". Just look at early history Germans, Celts, Bretons, Franks, Saxons etc. etc.

Exactly. Anyone familiar with European history will know the continent was full of tribes not so different from the ones found in Africa and the Americas. Also in Asia, and the Ainu people of Japan.

The idea that tribal culture is exclusive to native americans and africans is really short sighted.

Afrocious

This all but confirms proper dialogue trees. Also, they hired the Fallout New Vegas writer, it's in good hands that value dynamic story. Also, play The Witcher 3, while you're waiting for Fallout 4. Your dialogue tree interest can be satiated until Horizon releases, I imagine.

Can someone confirm the bolded?

I have one real fear about this game. I hope they don't ignore the fact that the dinos are supposed to be at the top of the food chain.

It looked terrible how the girl was able to hunt gigantic robo dinos like it was a walk in the park. It should mimic real human history and we should only be able to tackle the bigger ones if we have traps, nets and a numbers advantage.

She looked like she was no1 on the foodchain there.

Hazanko

Banned

" [The character in the demo] is already an advanced character about level 12, I think."

Yet in the footage we still have a lot of handholding voiced inner monologue. This is the kind of tutorialising many of us wish I avoid.

Hopefully the footage was just a demo and not actually a latter part of the game.

That's the only issue I have.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I just hope the quest system is good. Bethesda is a good model to follow, not Dragon age origins for instance.

People couldnt figure out how to move to the next objective in shadow fall, a game as linear as they come. Cant wait to hear all the nonstop bitching when people get lost in horizon. I'll give it a week after launch before Guerrilla has to patch in tutorials.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Shadows of Mordor would've been a better example. It was also revealed as an open world RPG.
Was it? Oh man, if this game ends up being anything like Shadow of Mordor, I will be more heartbroken and bitterly disappointed than you can imagine.

So far, though, there's no evidence that it'll be the case. I still have faith.

VanWinkle

I just hope the quest system is good. Bethesda is a good model to follow, not Dragon age origins for instance.

Witcher 3's is great, too. But, yeah, I agree with you. I really hope it's got fun, interesting, and varied quests.

Was it? Oh man, if this game ends up being anything like Shadow of Mordor, I will be more heartbroken and bitterly disappointed than you can imagine.

So far, though, there's no evidence that it'll be the case. I still have faith.

SoM was never seen as more than AC type open world gameplay with the added Nemesis system. There's no reason whatsoever to worry this game might be like that.

"And it's the same case for learning about how the robos interact between themselves; who's protecting who and how they are all interconnected. You're always a little bit like David Attenborough where he's sitting in the bushes and studying these creatures trying to learn their behaviour, seeing how you can exploit that behaviour from them."
I noticed this in the demo. Not only did she kill the little one to prevent it from alerting the others to her presence, she seemed to be killing the medium-sized ones to lure the large one to her. I wonder just how complex the ecosystem is.

As far as progression and gameplay go, I can dig it. It sounds like it kinda plays like a Monster Hunter game, with most of your progression coming from crafting better and better gear, but they also have a bit of progression for the character itself, which sounds like it may help you to become a little more specialized.

Is there any multiplayer in this? Might be interesting to team up to take out some particularly large robos. Then again, soloing them could be fun too! lol

squidyj

I mean.... while I would hope the monologue for stuff would die off a bit after you have more experience I think it's a great diegetic way to introduce things to players without having to force them through a tutorial where "now you must press the jump button to jump, jump now, good, that was the jump button and you can press that button when you want to jump in the future" I'm sure there are players that want to be abused by the game and want it to deliberately withhold information (or maybe even mislead them? some people are sick) but I've never found that incredibly compelling even in all my time playing souls games and bloodborne.

moomoo14

The more I hear about this game, the more excited I am to see even more.

Legit excited for this game. Good job Guerilla.

squidyj

I noticed this in the demo. Not only did she kill the little one to prevent it from alerting the others to her presence, she seemed to be killing the medium-sized ones to lure the large one to her. I wonder just how complex the ecosystem is.

As far as progression and gameplay go, I can dig it. It sounds like it kinda plays like a Monster Hunter game, with most of your progression coming from crafting better and better gear, but they also have a bit of progression for the character itself, which sounds like it may help you to become a little more specialized.

Is there any multiplayer in this? Might be interesting to team up to take out some particularly large robos. Then again, soloing them could be fun too! lol

It seems like the medium sized 'herbivores' harvest valuable resources from nature and then you hunt them to get that resource and then the big bad predator comes in and protects the herd because he's supposed to protect the resource gatherers. I guess what I'm saying is given what we saw I think that green stuff in the tanks is probably quite important.

This entire E3 for Horizon has been a home run. Shame Sony's conference is getting poo pooed a little bit because there were 3 mic drop moments that play to nostalgia. Which is basically ignoring how great the demo was for this. By far the best new ip showing at the show. Dreams still has a lot of explaining to do, or I would give the nod to it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
SoM was never seen as more than AC type open world gameplay with the added Nemesis system. There's no reason whatsoever to worry this game might be like that.
You're right, of course. Napata says it was advertised as an action-RPG by some (?), though, and I can actually see how it could be spun that way ("open-world! skill trees! approach the combat with strategy and use your arsenal that you can level up! side-quests!" yadda yadda), but I'm confident enough that it was just a unique case of grossly misleading advertising, haha.

matmanx1

No hand holding and getting to figure stuff out on your own is right up my alley. This is sounding better and better all the time.

This seems to be the kind of game where you see the super-epic concept art and fan dreaming and go "yeah, yeah, but what is it actually like?"

...But then it's EXACTLY like that.

right!? thats pretty much my reaction when i first saw it.

I hope as you progress the more advanced the main character becomes as she becomes one of the old ones. :p

uhhh, that will never happen. The mystical "old ones" are us., or something like us. They are humanity in a technological age who died off and nature took over the world. Us, the "old ones" died off a thousand years ago in this game.

RPG elements always elevate games to another level for me.

Also great to hear there will be no/minimum amount of hand holding but in all honesly unless this is coming from From Software I will have to believe it when I see it.

This entire E3 for Horizon has been a home run. Shame Sony's conference is getting poo pooed a little bit because there were 3 mic drop moments that play to nostalgia. Which is basically ignoring how great the demo was for this. By far the best new ip showing at the show. Dreams still has a lot of explaining to do, or I would give the nod to it.

I hardly think that's a popular consensus. It's just a vocal minority.

Smoolio

"hire writers to write thousands of lines of procedural dialogue"
"working with the template for a deeply complex, multivariable AI-driven system" - this in regards specifically to writing dialogue fyi.

Awesome, that does sound very promising.

Also, play The Witcher 3, while you're waiting for Fallout 4. Your dialogue tree interest can be satiated until Horizon releases, I imagine.

Yeah It has been, but can always do with more games like these, maybe I just have too much time. A lot of games coming up though so i'm pumped.

MADGAME

Does anyone have a link to the clip where one of the GG employees explains the robo creatures aren't robo versions of dinos? He says they resemble other creatures from human history but couldn't reveal what due to plot spoilers. I really want to listen to his explanation again.

Servbot24

Banned
Minimal tutorials - Awesome
Skill trees - bleh. Fact of life I guess.
Weapon crafting - Yes! This is what should make you feel stronger rather than XP. As long as they create weapons in organic and believable ways, rather than "You combined 4x Branch and 8x Green Gel to craft Decadent Staff of Ezrezikikillio!"

The combat actually sounds really great. For those who didn't know, Thundermaul, the robo t-rex in the demo, had over 90 armor parts, each with their own Hit Points. If you manage to broke the outer armor and show the less protected part within, you deal three times the damage in that spot. Explosive arrow are also rare, so don't expect to spam explosive arrow at huge robodino. Instead you had to play smart. Focus your attack to 1 part to peel off the armor and then use the explosive arrow for massive damage.

Thundermaul also supposedly have like 15 different attacks.

M.D

Does anyone have a link to the clip where one of the GG employees explains the robo creatures aren't robo versions of dinos? He says they resemble other creatures from human history but couldn't reveal what due to plot spoilers. I really want to listen to his explanation again.

Not a 100% sure, but I think it was Hermen Hulst who said that on Gamespot

I have one real fear about this game. I hope they don't ignore the fact that the dinos are supposed to be at the top of the food chain.

It looked terrible how the girl was able to hunt gigantic robo dinos like it was a walk in the park. It should mimic real human history and we should only be able to tackle the bigger ones if we have traps, nets and a numbers advantage.

She looked like she was no1 on the foodchain there.

<_____>

Well there's no written history regarding if humans ever hunted dinosaurs nor how if they did. I mean...Dinosaurs in the end are animals. People can hunt bears, rhinos, elephants which maybe aren't as big as a Trex, but they're just as deadly.

Loudninja

Minimal tutorials - Awesome
Skill trees - bleh. Fact of life I guess.
Weapon crafting - Yes! This is what should make you feel stronger rather than XP. As long as they create weapons in organic and believable ways, rather than "You combined 4x Branch and 8x Green Gel to craft Decadent Staff of Ezrezikikillio!"
Hehehe

MADGAME

Not a 100% sure, but I think it was Hermen Hulst who said that on Gamespot

Thanks, found it. You were close, it was Hulst and another guy in an IGN interview.

At the 3-minute mark in the vid, he attempts clarify they aren't robo dinos. Seems like everyone is bent on calling them that and they certainly seem to be, but he says they are not. Probably won't stop anyone from calling them that however.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/06/17/horizon-zero-dawn-developer-interview-ign-live-e3-2015

Elfstruck

It should be though, because this kind of dialogue does exactly what they say they're trying to avoid: it holds the player's hand.

I remain cautiously optimistic, this all sounds great, but we've definitely heard it all before.

There is less to none dialogue in the actual game according to a person on reddit. He even wrote his impressions on there as well.

Top Bottom