• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror Fiction |OT| For all things that go bump in the night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great OP Hilbert. I added this thread to the monthly What Are You Reading thread's Gaf Recommendation section. I personally don't read much horror fiction but my favorite 'scary' book that I read recently was The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart. Its like a very dark fairy tale. Unique, interesting story. I definitely recommend reading at this time of year.

The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart by Jesse Bullington

Any recommendations for Lovecraftian stories/novels?

At the Mountains of Madness was great.

At the Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft

Dascu

I sort of implied Lovecraftian novels that aren't by Lovecraft himself, Maklershed. :p

Read The House on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgson this week, really liked it. It becomes a bit more scifi fantasy than horror though.

DodgerSan

Nice to see Brian Lumley on a list for a change. You say Necroscope is an insane vampire series. I hope you mean insane as in insanely amazing! For me, the Necroscope series is the best and most original take on the vampire mythos I have ever read. The twist and origin stuff in book 3 is fantastic, and the supporting cast of e-branch is superbly written.

Highly recommended.

Forkball

I've been reading a lot of Junji Ito stuff and highly recommend him. A lot of his stories have a similar setting or focus, but his stories range from Lovecraftian to Body Horror to psychological to just plain creepy. They are almost all supernatural, which really keeps you guessing. He is excellent at using a tired concept like a haunted house or a ghost or a monster and twisting it to where you have no idea where the story will go next. While he is known in the west mostly for longer stories like Uzumaki, Tomie, and Gyo, his short stories are really his masterpieces. In 30ish pages he can burn an image or idea into your brain forever. I have to admire his unique concept in all his stories. He has a ton of stories, and obviously some are better than others, but I was always impressed by the potential and initial idea. Here are a few recommendations:

Longer (several volumes):
Uzumaki: People become obsessed with spirals in a small town. Ito really impresses by taking a simple and non-scary thing and using it in many amazing ways.
Gyo: A horrible stench and fish with robot legs cause panic. Probably one of the more bizarre concepts, but I really enjoyed it. I think there's going to be an anime too.
Tomie: An immortal girl with strange powers ensnares all who come in contact with her. One of his earlier and more famous works.

Medium (about a hundredish pages or only a few chapters):
Frankenstein: An adaptation of the original story.
Hellstar Remina: A planet-sized monstrosity from another dimension heads for Earth. The Lovecraft influence is strong here.
Black Paradox: Four people plan to commit suicide together, only for strange events to postpone their death.
Souichi's Diary of Delights/Diary of Curses: More of a black comedy instead of straight up horror (although the Haunted House chapter could definitely be a standalone story, but the following chapter puts an amusing ending on it). About 12ish chapters, the story follows Souichi, a mischievous 11 year old who is obsessed with voodoo and curses. His powers are legitimate, but he always gets his comeuppances, largely thanks to his family.
Mimi's Ghost Stories: Four chapters that follow Mimi and her friends. A girl gets into all sorts of supernatural mishaps. The Seashore and The Woman Next Door are highlights.

Short stories (he probably has hundreds, but I'll list some I like):
The Enigma of Amigara Fault: It's been posted here before so I think most people know it. Strange human shaped holes in mountains appear after a massive earthquake, which cause people to flock to the site.
Anything but a Ghost: A man finds a woman covered in blood when driving. After rescuing her, he learns that there may be more to her innocent demeanor.
The Window Next Door: A family moves into a new house, but one member is constantly harassed by the neighbor across the street. Such a simple concept, but damn his art makes it so creepy.
The Groaning Drain: A family obsessed with cleanliness are tormented by a drain that won't come clean.
The Town Without Streets: Really it's three stories in one, but a girl who is creeped out by her family goes to visit her aunt in a strange town where no one has privacy.
House of Puppets: Your typically "puppets are scary" story, but with those classic Ito twists and creepy art.
Splatter Film: A group of friends become addicted to a mysterious honey. However, there may be side effects.
Library of Illusions: A man becomes obsessed with memorizing every book in his massive library.
Army of One: Strange murders where people are sewn together may have some connection to large group gatherings.
The Conversation Room: After being admitted to the hospital after a car wreck, the protagonist is disturbed by the other patients.
The Long Dream: INCEPTION uh I mean a man's dreams become increasingly long each night, where each dream can last lifetimes.
Blood Bubble Bushes: A couple find themselves in a town where people are obsessed with drinking blood.
Blood Sickness of White Sand Village: A doctor investigates a town where people lose a rapid amount of blood very quickly.
In the Soil: At a junior high graduation anniversary event, two former classmates discuss a student that nobody liked.

There are of course, many more. He's put out a massive body of work in his career. Now for dat art:

ito-ito.jpg

ito-tomie.jpg

ito-remina.jpg

uzumakis1of4.jpeg

tumblr_li10xv6jV71qzdcgho1_500.jpg

tumblr_lin1h6DMRj1qaurcho1_1280.jpg

tumblr_lihys6NsUo1qzdcgho1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ljt4ziTDFG1qbtdavo1_1280.png

tumblr_ljkue4lXcf1qa6yvko1_500.jpg

tumblr_lxxbvdzutu1qjkedbo1_250.jpg

I can't post the really good stuff due to spoilers/NSFWness.

JJD

Gyo: A horrible stench and fish with robot legs cause panic. Probably one of the more bizarre concepts, but I really enjoyed it. I think there's going to be an anime too.

Where have you heard this??? That would be awesome.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Amazing post, Forkball. Anywhere I can check out some of Junji Ito's work?

You can buy some of his American released stuff on amazon. I recommend starting with Museum of Terror, but it is all good. If you are looking for stuff online, I know I have seen it around the internet, but someone else will have to lead you to it.

Seeing this thread be mentioned in the Horror OT made me pull my HP Lovecraft complete fiction off the shelf and start digging in. I remember not liking it as much when I was younger because of the way it was written, but now I am absolutely loving it. Only one I have read was a short one called "The Picture in the House". I still have around 1000 pages of his stuff to read. Pretty exciting to finally get around to starting his work.

I would really like to read something akin to the movie "The Changeling". Something creepy about finding out mysteries of an old house. I read the Shining and quite enjoyed it.

Seeing this thread be mentioned in the Horror OT made me pull my HP Lovecraft complete fiction off the shelf and start digging in. I remember not liking it as much when I was younger because of the way it was written, but now I am absolutely loving it. Only one I have read was a short one called "The Picture in the House". I still have around 1000 pages of his stuff to read. Pretty exciting to finally get around to starting his work.

"HP Lovecraft complete fiction"? COMPLETE? Damn man, how big is that thing?

I have the Commemorative Edition Necronomicon - The Best Weird Takes of H.P. Lovecraft sitting here waiting to be read. It's not a complete collection, but it's nearly 900 pages so I'm sure it covers the important stuff.

Previously I've only read the Herbert West - Reanimator stories because I love the movie, but I enjoyed the hell of them so I'm really looking forward to digging into the book.

I can't wait to see how the original From Beyond, Dagon and Dreams in the Witch-House compare to their movies.

And I finally get to read the Call of Cthulhu and At the Mountains of Madness.

Hilbert

"HP Lovecraft complete fiction"? COMPLETE? Damn man, how big is that thing?

I have the Commemorative Edition Necronomicon - The Best Weird Takes of H.P. Lovecraft sitting here waiting to be read. It's not a complete collection, but it's nearly 900 pages so I'm sure it covers the important stuff.

Previously I've only read the Herbert West - Reanimator stories because I love the movie, but I enjoyed the hell of them so I'm really looking forward to digging into the book.

I can't wait to see how the original From Beyond, Dagon and Dreams in the Witch-House compare to their movies.

And I finally get to read the Call of Cthulhu and At the Mountains of Madness.

I have read most of Lovecraft, including all the major stories, but this year I decided to make a goal to read ALL of his fiction. I have been going along with this podcast:
http://hppodcraft.com/
I read the story, and then listen to the podcast discussing it. It is making it a lot of fun, whereas otherwise I might have found it a bit of a chore. I recommend trying it out!

I am happy to see this thread rising from the dead! I will start updating the OP again with people's suggestions. I recently found a new author that I am getting obsessed with, Tim Curran. I will add a little blurb about him soon.

Hats off to the OP for including Lee and Laymon.

Have you tried Wrath James White? If you are a Lee fan, definitely check out White.

I have read most of Lovecraft, including all the major stories, but this year I decided to make a goal to read ALL of his fiction. I have been going along with this podcast:
http://hppodcraft.com/
I read the story, and then listen to the podcast discussing it. It is making it a lot of fun, whereas otherwise I might have found it a bit of a chore. I recommend trying it out!

Awesome, thanks for that. I really enjoy listening to the Arrow in the Head podcast guys discuss movies I've seen, so I'll definitely give that podcast a shot when I dig into the book.

Too bad it looks like you have to pay for a membership for the newer eps. I'll just stick with the free ones.

Hilbert

Awesome, thanks for that. I really enjoy listening to the Arrow in the Head podcast guys discuss movies I've seen, so I'll definitely give that podcast a shot when I dig into the book.

Too bad it looks like you have to pay for a membership for the newer eps. I'll just stick with the free ones.

Yea, I haven't gotten to the membership episodes yet, I think the pure lovecraft episodes are all free, the other authors I think is when they require a membership.

GRW810

I'm not sure whether this qualifies for this thread because, although it is horror, it is aimed at a younger audience. But I've been recommended the collections Horowitz Horror and More Horrowitz Horror and wondered if anyone on here had read them?

I love short story collections and though I love Stephen King and Dean Koontz, I'm also fond of a less severe, quirky level of horror closer to the likes of Australian author Paul Jennings.

Hilbert

I'm not sure whether this qualifies for this thread because, although it is horror, it is aimed at a younger audience. But I've been recommended the collections Horowitz Horror and More Horrowitz Horror and wondered if anyone on here had read them?

I love short story collections and though I love Stephen King and Dean Koontz, I'm also fond of a less severe, quirky level of horror closer to the likes of Australian author Paul Jennings.

I do not know either Horowitz or Paul Jennings. What can you tell me about Paul Jennings? Also the Horowitz books look pretty good.

New author I will add to the op:

• [*]Tim Curran
    Amazon Page Link
    Wikipedia Page Link
    I discovered Tim Curran by browsing the books in the Delierium Novella Series(which is a recent method of mine for finding new horror books, now I browse by publisher as well). I started out reading The Underdwelling, which was a good little book. Then I moved onto The Hive, which was a really good sequel to Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness. Now I am reading Dead Sea, and it is really good. Really really good, actually giving me nightmares, and making me scared to read it at night. That hasn't happened in years. I am going to read everything by him now.

kmm182

Neo Member
I've been reading Ryu Murakami books (some may know him as the author of Audition, the movie has a cult following) and I started with "In the Miso Soup" which was amazing, then went to "Audition" which was meh and "Piercing" which was additionally, meh.
Moral of the story...READ IN THE MISO SOUP. Such a good horror :)

SteveWD40

1034 pages. Not too heavy. But I kinda wish I had it in two volumes lol

And that Lovecraft Podcast looks great. Gonna definitely augment my reading with that.

I grabbed his complete works on my Kindle for like £1 a while ago. So far I have read:

Mountains of Madness
Colour out of Space
Dunwhich Horror
Shadow over Innsmouth
Shadow out of time

Just started Whisperer in the Darkness and Call of Cthulu is next, any others I should prioritise?

Dascu

Read Tim Curran's The Hive and now going through The Spawning. Both are quite good. Generally feels a bit repetitive, as in it's the same kind of stuff that happens in At the Mountains of the Madness and in The Thing, but he pulls it off nicely.

So much has been covered already

I'd like to mention the online horror site/sequence/experiment

The Dionaea House

It's a subtle, creepy and unsettling experience (make sure to click all the links and follow all the side stories)

David Wellington originally published several horror novels as online serials, and all of them are still there to read for free: Monster Island/Nation/Planet, and Plague Zone (Zombies), 13 Bullets (Vampire), and Frostbite (Werewolf)

Joe Hill is writing an ongoing graphic novel/comic series called Locke and Key which I'm enjoying a lot. Here's a Trailer they made (to commission a tv series)

Other graphic novel quality sequences are:

Crossed - Garth Ennis, then David Lapham, then Ennis again. Extremely gory and nsfw neo-zombie plague story about a virus that reduces people to pure evil.

Preacher - Garth Ennis. About a preacher possessed by the offspring of a demon and an angel.

American Vampire - Scot Snyder and Stephen King. General vampire goodness from the A list.

and last but not least

Lovecraftian comedy (with anime in-jokes) in Ghastly's Ghastly Comic
which is nsfw (although not blatantly), very sick, and genuinely laugh out loud funny

GRW810

I do not know either Horowitz or Paul Jennings. What can you tell me about Paul Jennings? Also the Horowitz books look pretty good.
Jennings is a children's author whose stories are aimed at, I'd say, 10-15 year olds but have morals and themes that make them somewhat appealing older readers. His plots are usually gross or quirky horror, if horror at all. There's certainly a fair chunk in his short story collections that unsettled me as a child.

To be honest in a thread in which authors like Lovecraft are being discussed Jennings is borderline off-topic in comparison. But if you fancy a nostalgic return to children's literature I'd recommend checking out Jennings.

Hilbert

Jennings is a children's author whose stories are aimed at, I'd say, 10-15 year olds but have morals and themes that make them somewhat appealing older readers. His plots are usually gross or quirky horror, if horror at all. There's certainly a fair chunk in his short story collections that unsettled me as a child.

To be honest in a thread in which authors like Lovecraft are being discussed Jennings is borderline off-topic in comparison. But if you fancy a nostalgic return to children's literature I'd recommend checking out Jennings.

I don't have a problem with an author for younger audiences being included in the thread. There is a children's section in the OP actually.

Read Tim Curran's The Hive and now going through The Spawning. Both are quite good. Generally feels a bit repetitive, as in it's the same kind of stuff that happens in At the Mountains of the Madness and in The Thing, but he pulls it off nicely.

I reallly enjoyed the 2, but The Spawning isn't quite as good as the first. Also has some weird stuff in it. I really recommend some other books by him, as much as I love them, I think these are actually some of his weaker books.

Hilbert

I grabbed his complete works on my Kindle for like £1 a while ago. So far I have read:

Mountains of Madness
Colour out of Space
Dunwhich Horror
Shadow over Innsmouth
Shadow out of time

Just started Whisperer in the Darkness and Call of Cthulu is next, any others I should prioritise?

I would say be sure not to miss:

Rats in the Walls
The Music of Erich Zann
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward
The Temple

John Bellairs gave me so many nightmares as a kid, but it was mostly the Edward Gorey art that did it. Some of that stuff was chilling.

Hilbert

I haven't, but out of interest, why not?

It ended(as Lovecraft tends to end his fiction) with the italicized realization of the TRUE horror:
"It would be too hideous if they knew that the one-time heiress of Riverside—the accursed gorgon or lamia whose hateful crinkly coil of serpent-hair must even now be brooding and twining vampirically around an artist’s skeleton in a lime-packed grave beneath a charred foundation—was faintly, subtly, yet to the eyes of genius unmistakably the scion of Zimbabwe’s most primal grovellers. No wonder she owned a link with that old witch-woman Sophonisba—for, though in deceitfully slight proportion, Marceline was a negress."

Really dude? THAT'S the big reveal that you have been building toward? Barf.

I just read it yesterday and I was pretty blown away.

Slayven

Nothing special but a pretty good read. The only problem is it drags in bit, and one character speaks in 70s slang for no good reason. One interesting thing it does is some chapters are from the POV of the haunted house, I thought that was fun.

51aPOSAEXQL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX225_SY300_CR,0,0,225,300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

SteveWD40

It ended(as Lovecraft tends to end his fiction) with the italicized realization of the TRUE horror:
"It would be too hideous if they knew that the one-time heiress of Riverside—the accursed gorgon or lamia whose hateful crinkly coil of serpent-hair must even now be brooding and twining vampirically around an artist’s skeleton in a lime-packed grave beneath a charred foundation—was faintly, subtly, yet to the eyes of genius unmistakably the scion of Zimbabwe’s most primal grovellers. No wonder she owned a link with that old witch-woman Sophonisba—for, though in deceitfully slight proportion, Marceline was a negress."

Really dude? THAT'S the big reveal that you have been building toward? Barf.

I just read it yesterday and I was pretty blown away.

Yikes.

Then again there is some startling racism in a few of his books.

Hilbert

Yikes.

Then again there is some startling racism in a few of his books.

Oh without a doubt. Horror of red hook is pretty unreadable because of it, but this might be even worse. He also wrote a poem called "On the Creation of Niggers" [1912].

Very very racist guy, even by the standards of his time.

obin_gam

Now when I've read all of Lovecrafts works, I'm in the mood for more Lovecraftian horror - evil gods, sects, rutiual, sights that cannot be described unless the descriptor turn mad, etc, etc.

What author and what book should I continue on with? I'm looking mostly for a contemporary author(s).

I've been looking for some modern horror novels that aren't overly gross/violent/full of ogre, and aren't by Stephen King. Any suggestions?

Hilbert

Now when I've read all of Lovecrafts works, I'm in the mood for more Lovecraftian horror - evil gods, sects, rutiual, sights that cannot be described unless the descriptor turn mad, etc, etc.

What author and what book should I continue on with? I'm looking mostly for a contemporary author(s).

Thomas Ligotti and Tim Curran come to mind right away.

Ligotti writes short stories that really have a lovecraftian feel to them.

Tim Curran has novels, some of which are direct sequels to lovecraft stories, like Hive(mountains of madness) and Morbid Anatomy(Reanimator). Some of my horror friends dislike Curran because he gets a little overblown on descriptions, but I think that helps add to the Lovecraftyness.

14 by Peter Clines is a fun adventure that has some lovecraftian roots. It was a bram Stoker nominee last year.

Other authors that are known for lovecraftian works are Ramsey Campbell and Brian Lumley. perhaps look into them.

Edward Lee has some lovecraft based novels like Haunter of the Threshold and Trolly 1852. Just keep in mind Lee's books are heavily based in sex and extreme gore.

It isn't completely contemporary, but an all time favorite of mine is 'Strange Eons' by Robert Bloch. The novel begins with an art dealer buying the actual painting from Pickman's model.

Hilbert

I've been looking for some modern horror novels that aren't overly gross/violent/full of ogre, and aren't by Stephen King. Any suggestions?

Try author Brian Evenson, 14 By Peter Cline, novels by Giles Gifune, and The Pilo Family Circus.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Friends have recommended the recently concluded Locke & Key comic series by Joe Hill (son of Stephen King, author of Heart-Shaped Box, which I enjoyed) and Gabriel Rodriguez.

On my 50 Books for 2014 list, I have Arthur Machen's The Great God Pan, Chuck Palahniuk's Haunted, Colson Whitehead's Zone One, David Grann's The Devil and Sherlock Holmes: Tales of Murder, Madness, and Obsession, Hugh Howery's I, Zombie, Mark Danielewski's House of Leaves, and Michael Reeves and John Pelan's Shadows Over Baker Street.

It's probably an obvious recommendation, but you should check out Joe Hill. I haven't read his latest, but Heart-Shaped Box and Horns are excellent, as is his short story collection, 20th Century Ghosts.

Red Mage

-House of Leaves (an experimental novel about a fictional textbook examining a fictional movie in which a house is slightly bigger on the inside than it is on the outside)

Took far too long to mention this. Disappointed, GAF. = /

Any recommendations for Lovecraftian stories/novels?

The Dunwich Horror, Rats in the Walls, The Whisperer in Darkness, The Shadow over Innsmouth, Pickman's Model, Doom that Came to Sarnath, The Haunter of the Dark, The Statement of Randolph Carter, The Cats of Ulthar, The Nameless City, At the Mountains of Madness, Call of Cthulhu, The Hound, and The Dream-quest of Unknown Kadath (read this last).

Also, avoid The Horror at Red Hook. It's *really* racist.

Hilbert

Took far too long to mention this. Disappointed, GAF. = /

The Dunwich Horror, Rats in the Walls, The Whisperer in Darkness, The Shadow over Innsmouth, Pickman's Model, Doom that Came to Sarnath, The Haunter of the Dark, The Statement of Randolph Carter, The Cats of Ulthar, The Nameless City, At the Mountains of Madness, Call of Cthulhu, The Hound, and The Dream-quest of Unknown Kadath (read this last).

Also, avoid The Horror at Red Hook. It's *really* racist.

I am pretty sure Dascu wanted lovecraftian stories not by lovecraft.

obin_gam

Thomas Ligotti and Tim Curran come to mind right away.

Ligotti writes short stories that really have a lovecraftian feel to them.

Tim Curran has novels, some of which are direct sequels to lovecraft stories, like Hive(mountains of madness) and Morbid Anatomy(Reanimator). Some of my horror friends dislike Curran because he gets a little overblown on descriptions, but I think that helps add to the Lovecraftyness.

14 by Peter Clines is a fun adventure that has some lovecraftian roots. It was a bram Stoker nominee last year.

Other authors that are known for lovecraftian works are Ramsey Campbell and Brian Lumley. perhaps look into them.

Edward Lee has some lovecraft based novels like Haunter of the Threshold and Trolly 1852. Just keep in mind Lee's books are heavily based in sex and extreme gore.

It isn't completely contemporary, but an all time favorite of mine is 'Strange Eons' by Robert Bloch. The novel begins with an art dealer buying the actual painting from Pickman's model.
Thanks for these! Someone like the fictional author "Sutter Cane" in Carpenters In The Mouth of Madness, is what I'm searching for. I hope some of these will be satisfactory :)

Tim Curran looks most interesting and I'll look into the Hive series!
Re. overblown descriptions: You cant have Lovecraftyness without pages after pages of long descriptions of unimaginable things now can you ;)

Hilbert

Re. overblown descriptions: You cant have Lovecraftyness without pages after pages of long descriptions of unimaginable things now can you ;)

You should love Curran then! Look for Lovecraftian terms like Nuclear Chaos, Plateau of Leng, and frozen Kadath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom