• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror Fiction |OT| For all things that go bump in the night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
Cool concept, will check it out. I just jumped around your videos though and it seems all audio? Why YouTube and not podcasts?

scotcheggz

Cool concept, will check it out. I just jumped around your videos though and it seems all audio? Why YouTube and not podcasts?

Yeah, it's all audio, I don't know how to do podcasts but I run a different (entirely unrelated) youtube channel, so it just seemed like a logical way to go. I'll be honest, I only listen to one or two podcasts, is there a 'standard' platform for this kind fo thing? I should probably look into that now...

Oh I just remembered something not too long ago that would be enjoyed by some people in this thread. It wasn't scary per se but great atmosphere reminiscent of The Order 1886. Namely, Anno Dracula. It's about a society divided into vampires (upper crust for the most part) and regular humans in 1800s London. There's also a side plot about Jack the Ripper. It's really well done. I highly recommend it.

(For anyone that has read it already, can you recommend something similar?)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
41bZJX9rEoL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons.

This very well may be one of the best horror novels I have ever read. Its a big book with a ton of content, characters, and fucked up shit to go around and I'd say it stands with the best of the best ever written including Stephen King and others. I don't want to say too much about the story but imagine if there was a very very tiny portion of the population that had a special ability that allowed them to influence and control the people around them and of course abuse this ability to make them do horrific things. Now imagine these people as one of the reasons for the truly huge horrors committed through out history and you have a very small idea of what the book is about. Truly riveting and terrifying stuff.

Edit: I'd also recommend some of Dan Simmons other horror novels like The Terror and Drood. The man writes historical horror fiction like few others.

God Enel

Dead Sea by Tim Curran? It's good.

The only other one that comes to mind for me is The Hope. Give that a shot, I thought it was decent.

I will see if I can think of anything else.

hey yeah it was by Tim Curran! I forgot his name when I was posting.

Will keep an eye out for the hope and see if I can find it over here in germany.

Any other tips?

Carcetti

41bZJX9rEoL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons.

This very well may be one of the best horror novels I have ever read. Its a big book with a ton of content, characters, and fucked up shit to go around and I'd say it stands with the best of the best ever written including Stephen King and others. I don't want to say too much about the story but imagine if there was a very very tiny portion of the population that had a special ability that allowed them to influence and control the people around them and of course abuse this ability to make them do horrific things. Now imagine these people as one of the reasons for the truly huge horrors committed through out history and you have a very small idea of what the book is about. Truly riveting and terrifying stuff.

Edit: I'd also recommend some of Dan Simmons other horror novels like The Terror and Drood. The man writes historical horror fiction like few others.

When I started reading this the book felt so bloated and kinda dated but the payoff for reading it was amazing. What a cavalcade of truly disgusting and evil people and 'people'.

Too bad Simmons went insane.

Also have to echo Curran's Dead Sea being good esp. if you like creature features.

HStallion

When I started reading this the book felt so bloated and kinda dated but the payoff for reading it was amazing. What a cavalcade of truly disgusting and evil people and 'people'.

Too bad Simmons went insane.

Also have to echo Curran's Dead Sea being good esp. if you like creature features.

Yeah the start is slow as you don't really know what's going on and I also
saw Nazis and thought it was going to be the played out trope of Nazi's tapping into supernatural powers to rule the world
but thankfully I was mistaken on that and it was something a lot more disturbing and disgusting than originally thought.

HStallion

Dan Simmons The Terror

Its also one of the few books where you can feel chilly while reading it even on a Summer day. That book just makes you feel cold and I think its one of its greatest accomplishments.

Aske

So do I really need a physical copy of House of Leaves or could I do a PDF scan on my iPad?

Having read the physical book, my (unpopular) opinion is that you could very easily. It'll be a different experience to holding the book in your hands, but I really don't think you'd miss much that was crucial.

Dascu

After first hearing about it in another horror fiction thread, I picked up, read and thoroughly enjoyed John Langan's The Fisherman. It feels like a great combination between a Stephen King (contemporary setting, personal loss) while merging it with HP Lovecraft (the awe-inspiring eldritch gods that lurk beyond reality).

I also urgently want a TV adaptation with Mads Mikkelsen in the role of Rainer.

DevilDog

That twillight episode was really good. Thanks gaf.

My favorite instance of cosmic horror was mass effect 1, I really loved how it crept in every corner of the game, even its mechanics, it made the impact insane.

Tired to read some Stephen King, but damn, I can't. Are there any good movies that don't have these 70-80's weird sounds that make you laugh?

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
That twillight episode was really good. Thanks gaf.

My favorite instance of cosmic horror was mass effect 1, I really loved how it crept in every corner of the game, even its mechanics, it made the impact insane.

Tired to read some Stephen King, but damn, I can't. Are there any good movies that don't have these 70-80's weird sounds that make you laugh?

The Mist or Cujo?

There's not a lot of good movies based on Stephen King's work. The best is The Shining, which also forgoes the point of the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom