• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

drotahorror

I love that everyone here has a positive view on the Evil Dead remake, most of my friends hated that movie. Great to hear that Don't Breath is stellar, I almost forgot it was coming out next month.

It's one of the dirtiest, grimiest, goriest movies to come out in the 21st century imo. Just a joy to watch. I loved the practical effects (sucker for them) too. Major props for not going the weak way of cgi.

I don't understand the negativity around Evil Dead 2013. Seemed like people generally liked it when it came out, but now people decided it's actually bad or something

Maybe they got caught in the hype of "yeah we're getting a sequel to this, and a sequel to Army Of Darkness! Then a crossover!"

"Oh wait no we aren't doing any of that"

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I dont remember a lot of modern horrormovies that create such a great atmosphere like when the rain starts to fall.

also a great case of bait & switch regarding the main character

Evil Dead remake was great. I agree with Brian that the look on it was probably soured when all that immediately came of the aftermath was the show, but that doesn't mean that's the end. The creators have specifically said those things are still planned, the show's success is just the big priority right now and eventually the crossovers will come.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Evil Dead remake was great. I agree with Brian that the look on it was probably soured when all that immediately came of the aftermath was the show, but that doesn't mean that's the end. The creators have specifically said those things are still planned, the show's success is just the big priority right now and eventually the crossovers will come.
I dont think the sequels will happen.
I would bet on this.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
And that's why I only go to the movies for big action spectacles. Horror movies are best enjoyed in the dark quiet of your home

or if you're lucky enough to live in a city with an alamo drafthouse. I've seen 10 horror movies so far in one and each has been quiet as a mouse (especially early afternoon screenings when there's no one there :)

kai3345

Banned

Alvarez and Raimi reportedly had a falling out. The crossovers aren't happening.

Melchiah

I don't understand the negativity around Evil Dead 2013. Seemed like people generally liked it when it came out, but now people decided it's actually bad or something

Maybe they got caught in the hype of "yeah we're getting a sequel to this, and a sequel to Army Of Darkness! Then a crossover!"

"Oh wait no we aren't doing any of that"

I enjoyed it, although the ending could have been better. I'm glad it went for the horror direction of the original, instead of the comical one of the sequels. From what I read at the time, that was exactly why some of the newer fans didn't like the remake.

HiiiLife

Is there a thread for favorite horror scenes/jump scares yet?

I honestly feel conjuring 2 with the
nun painting in the dark
was one of the coolest scenes I've witnessed in a long time.

Is there a thread for favorite horror scenes/jump scares yet?

I honestly feel conjuring 2 with the
nun painting in the dark
was one of the coolest scenes I've witnessed in a long time.

The Witch is my fave horror movie of the year so far, but that particular scene is easily one of the best sequences in a horror film ever I think. Damn near perfect.

obin_gam

I love that everyone here has a positive view on the Evil Dead remake, most of my friends hated that movie.

maxresdefault.jpg

I want this frame on my wall

DireStr8s

Just found this thread!

There is something to be said for watching a horror film at the theater & then walking out into broad daylight. I saw a noon showing of Ju-on at the Cincinnati Art Museum years ago & enjoyed that weird walk to the car. Similar experience with Goodnight Mommy.

Melchiah

Just found this thread!

There is something to be said for watching a horror film at the theater & then walking out into broad daylight. I saw a noon showing of Ju-on at the Cincinnati Art Museum years ago & enjoyed that weird walk to the car. Similar experience with Goodnight Mommy.

The best theater experience I've ever had was when I wento to see [REC] early on the usual hangover day that follows the Walburgis Night. There were less than 10 people in the theater, and it was eerily and blissfully quiet throughout the film. It felt like I stepped into another world, when I exited the dark theater hall into the sunny streets, that were crowded due to annual market.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Just found this thread!

Hell yea man. Just recently getting out of Green Room it was like I could finally breathe after leaving the theater. I actually sat down at a bus stop for a minute to just catch my breath. Great theater experience.

Watched Bone Tomahawk which I liked and Excision last night. Good lord that movie is bananas but I loved it. I turned my head at certain parts because the grossness of a couple parts. I loved the main characters acting she was legit crazy.

So I ended up biting the bullet and doing the Shudder Add-On to Amazon Prime. Free 7 days and 4.95 a month for so much horror. Excision was in the Extreme section. I will probably live in that section for a bit. Currently watching Theater of the Bizzare.

DireStr8s

Hell yea man. Just recently getting out of Green Room it was like I could finally breathe after leaving the theater. I actually sat down at a bus stop for a minute to just catch my breath. Great theater experience.

Actually caught a bus after seeing G'nite Mommy. In broad daylight...

Took a drunken bus home on Halloween night as Lester Ballard replete with scalped fright wig. Glad I saw this thread!

drotahorror

Watched Bone Tomahawk which I liked and Excision last night. Good lord that movie is bananas but I loved it. I turned my head at certain parts because the grossness of a couple parts. I loved the main characters acting she was legit crazy.

So I ended up biting the bullet and doing the Shudder Add-On to Amazon Prime. Free 7 days and 4.95 a month for so much horror. Excision was in the Extreme section. I will probably live in that section for a bit. Currently watching Theater of the Bizzare.

Nice!

Excision is one of my favorite movies from the past few years. I thought it was hilarious to be honest. I still need to watch Bone Tomahawk.

Zombine

Banned
Had a hard time falling asleep last night, so I decided to watch Hush on Netflix. It's a typical Slasher/Stalker flick with one twist: the girl is a deaf mute.

Hush-850x560.jpg

I found the character design of the killer to be very fun with a wicked freaky mask, which is why I was disappointed when
he goes from a mute character to compliment the protagonist, to a maskless obsessed robber who won't shut the fuck up.
He went from about a 9 down to a 3 after that, and the film suddenly turns into a horror version of that one Jennifer Lopez movie where she learns karate. It was still a very tense film, but it goes from horror to Lifetime faster than you can say John Carpenter.

I enjoyed it, it was filmed well, and made use of the location and I enjoyed the gimmick. I think everyone should watch it at least once because it is pretty good, if not a little bit predictable.

7/10

drotahorror

^^^
Stuff like that seems kind of tame after reading about shit like this happening in real life

5mybaCh.jpg

Without any context that could be anyone, homeowner, residents of the home, murderer, friend, robber, etc.

Did a google image search and nothing.

Also not sure how a movie can be tame because something like it happened in real life. You could say the same for basically any home invasion movie. Shit like that happens all the time in real life.

Without any context that could be anyone, homeowner, residents of the home, murderer, friend, robber, etc.

Did a google image search and nothing.

Also not sure how a movie can be tame because something like it happened in real life. You could say the same for basically any home invasion movie. Shit like that happens all the time in real life.
To be fair, that was a partially-facetious comment

But the story of that pic is legit nightmare fuel.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1254414

vityaz

Finally found The Battery in BD and currently rewatching it

Still one of the best zombie movies around imo

I really need to re-watch The Battery. I did not like it at all and been wondering what people saw in it. I remember thinking it felt very pretentious.

kai3345

Banned
You guys should watch Marble Hornets at YouTube

i got way into that show in high school, but after a while it started to turn into the same thing over and over again.

though i do have fond memories of huddling around a laptop late at night with friends and binging a bunch of episodes.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
i got way into that show in high school, but after a while it started to turn into the same thing over and over again.

though i do have fond memories of huddling around a laptop late at night with friends and binging a bunch of episodes.
I am not that far into it but its still fun.

Most disturbing things are the tone errors and the few times you notice
Slender Man
standing around :D

T.O.P

Banned
Had a hard time falling asleep last night, so I decided to watch Hush on Netflix. It's a typical Slasher/Stalker flick with one twist: the girl is a deaf mute.

Hush-850x560.jpg

I found the character design of the killer to be very fun with a wicked freaky mask, which is why I was disappointed when
he goes from a mute character to compliment the protagonist, to a maskless obsessed robber who won't shut the fuck up.
He went from about a 9 down to a 3 after that, and the film suddenly turns into a horror version of that one Jennifer Lopez movie where she learns karate. It was still a very tense film, but it goes from horror to Lifetime faster than you can say John Carpenter.

I enjoyed it, it was filmed well, and made use of the location and I enjoyed the gimmick. I think everyone should watch it at least once because it is pretty good, if not a little bit predictable.

7/10

Watched this last night, surprisingly good (Netflix italian's catalogue is so shit for horror movies, didn't even notice this being added)

Just realized that this is the same director from another really damn good movie

faa1b23b8f15de79f4abcv6zw9.jpg

He also made Oculus but fuck that pos

DireStr8s

Being new here I'm a little worried this might be stretching whats cool to post here but...

Lately a "spattering" of classic/cult horror soundtracks have been given the deluxe reissue vinyl treatment. I can only dream what it's like to hold these beautiful objects in my grubby poor person hands. Just posting a few notable examples here:

http://www.forcedexposure.com/Catalog/morricone-ennio-amanti-d-oltretomba-lp/ODR.034LP.html
http://www.forcedexposure.com/Catalog/tempera-vince-paganini-horror-2lp/SUBOST.002LP.html
http://www.forcedexposure.com/Catalog/korzynski-andrzej-possession-lp/FKR.062LP.html
http://www.forcedexposure.com/Catalog/frizzi-fabio-manhattan-baby-lp/SUBOST.001LP.html

And lookit! A cassette edition of Phil Glass's Candyman II soundtrack:
http://www.forcedexposure.com/Catal...on-picture-soundtrack-cassette/OWS.010CS.html

Bay of Blood is awesome.

I'm fairly excited about being able to add Phantasm: Remastered and Phantasm: Ravager to the October list this year.

Grabbed the trilogy of recent super hyped horror/ish movies on blu ray today (The Witch, Green Room, It Follows)

Just finished The Witch and GOD DAMN. That there was some cinema

Glad I managed to stay blind on that one. Perfect pacing, endless tension, and some horrifying reveals. Damn near every scene looks like a painting. LOVE the twisted branches everywhere

The reveal of the raven pecking at the woman's breast was unbelievable

The guy at Best Buy really didn't want me to buy it (he said he rented it and thought it didn't make sense, glad he didn't actually buy it)........I'm glad i bought it

Top Bottom