• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House Republican compares American Tax Code to Zelda; Nintendo founded in 1985

This is just... weird. like, why make the comparison? and it's not even Nintendo's best selling franchise, and they weren't even founded in 1985.

DMONKUMA

In before the Triforce becomes a symbol for white nationalists.

The_1f488a_6104328.jpg

CamHostage

Not to pile on the Republican party, but some constructive criticism: if your argument is that the tax code is ancient and worthless and broken, maybe don't compare it to a product that's still good today, that still has a place on GOAT lists, that just last year was part of a release (NES Classic) that was highly sought-after for its enduring quality and value...

Freaking Aliens came out in 1986. How about an analogy based on how crappy and painful Alien sequels have become since then, that'd at least make some sense?

Neiteio

Zelda is quite obviously Nazi propaganda.

Two blonde-haired/blue-eyed Aryans fighting The Foreigner Ganondorf, with his dark skin and prominent nose and red hair, harnessing the power of the Third Reich (Triforce) to save the kingdom for white people everywhere.

I see what you're doing there, Miyamoto!

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Didn't a single Mario Kart game sell over 25M units on the Wii? How's Legend of Zelda Nintendo's best selling franchise? I would have assumed the Mario games would be astronomically higher.

Plum

Not to pile on the Republican party, but some constructive criticism: if your argument is that the tax code is ancient and worthless and broken, maybe don't compare it to a product that's still good today, that still has a place on GOAT lists, that just last year was part of a release (NES Classic) that was highly sought-after for its enduring quality and value...

Yeah but The Legend of Zelda was never good.

Sonic was never good either.

The Last of Us is shit.

Didn't a single Mario Kart game sell over 25M units on the Wii? How's Legend of Zelda Nintendo's best selling franchise? I would have assumed the Mario games would be astronomically higher.

I thought about making fun of this, too, but it occurred to me that they're using that term the same way commercials use the phrase "#1 movie in America."

This was 100% guaranteed written by a Gamergator

can't be. aren't they all about truth and accountability in games journalism?

/s

Chittagong

Gold Member
Is there a single person on this board who has a first hand experience of the Nintendo brand before 1985? We might have been fooled by fake news all this time!

Crayolan

Ignoring all the factually wrong information, what was the point of bringing up Zelda? He's not even making a metaphor of some kind, it's just a bunch of random (incorrect) facts.

True Fire

Ignoring all the factually wrong information, what was the point of bringing up Zelda? He's not even making a metaphor of some kind, it's just a bunch of random (incorrect) facts.

I'm guessing it was an intern who only knows about video games and /pol/itics

Banned
Everytime I think the Trump administration can't surprise me anymore they prove me wrong. Bravo.

ChrisD

I thought about making fun of this, too, but it occurred to me that they're using that term the same way commercials use the phrase "#1 movie in America."

can't be. aren't they all about truth and accountability in games journalism?

/s

it is fun how every movie is the #1 in America
every book is the #1 Best Seller
every song is #1 somehow

In America everything is #1

The Legend of Zelda series is Nintendo's best-selling video game franchise enjoyed by more than two generations of gamers. The action-adventure game was released in 1986, only one year after Nintendo's founding in 1985.

And you know what else was released in 1986? Yeah, you do. The last major reform to the American tax code was signed into law in 1986.

These dates are all fucked.

NES released in America in 1985, but the Famicom released in 1983, but even then Nintendo opened up in 1889.
Zelda on the other hand, didn't release in America until 1987, but released in Japan in 1986.

I mean it makes sense that the GOP would fuck up such readily available information, but still

uhhhh

what kind of fake news bullshit is this? they can't even leave Zelda alone.

I will gladly give them the benefit of the doubt for the first one. Often people use the phrase 'best-selling' to simply mean high sales. They don't, I don't think, literally mean, Nintendo's highest selling franchise.

They are, in fact there are two Mario subseries that are higher as well as the Wii Series.

And just like Nintendo these sum bitches ain't releasing anything in the near term.

Although this joke would have been funnier last year.

Joqu

I will gladly give them the benefit of the doubt for the first one. Often people use the phrase 'best-selling' to simply mean high sales. They don't, I don't think, literally mean, Nintendo's highest selling franchise.

I guess you're right about that one. There's enough to ridicule here without getting into their usage of best-selling.

APF

If that's what they meant they would have phrased it ala: "The best-selling video game franchise is enjoyed by..." instead of: "is Nintendo’s best-selling video game franchise enjoyed by..."

Top Bottom