• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Housemarque teasing something for tomorrow

Castle-speechless.gif

............................................................................................................

The best PS5 game so far if we don't count excellent Demon's Souls Remake.
Sold my PS5 copy and bought it again on PC, can't wait to play it again and DLC (which I haven't played at all) when I'll be in the mood.
It's not like he didn't praise the game a lot in his post. If you just want to look at the roguelike structure alone, it's pretty bad when you compare it to great ones like Hades. You keep virtually nothing, so your runs really do feel like wasted time instead of slowly unlocking some kind of minor buffs / collectibles that can at least increase enjoyment a bit while you grind to get better. Build variety is very, very low. Parasite system isn't great. They don't know how to handle the roguelike element of the game. It didn't even launch with a save.

Zheph

I loved EVERYTHING about this game, the stellar atmosphere, the mystery behind it all, the OST, the artistic direction, the gameplay, but...the game's rogue-like nature can go fook itself, 3rd boss was what did it for me, I just didn't want/didn't have the time to make an almost perfect run of the 1st biome every G'damn time just to power-up the character as to be able to stand a chance against the 3rd biome and its boss even with the various level short-cuts unlocked, i found it to be just wasted time in the end and unfortunately I had to drop the damn game...

How I wish for this to have been a "normal", story driven TPS instead of the rogue-like/rogue-lite we got, ain't nobody got time for this shit and this is why I generally dislike rogue like games.

What a shame, I really, REALLY wanted to adore it, instead, I just ended up liking it and unfortunately never finished it ffs...

These type of games are literally made for me (dark sci-fi) and while I love a good challenge, the repetition from everything rogue-like is where I draw the line...
Getting destroyed by Owl/Genichiro/Ashina again and again ? No problem.
Getting spammed by off-camera IS ninjas on Master ninja in NG2 ? Sure, I can deal with it.
Backtracking all the way to where you died as to get your souls back in souls-likes? that's Ok.
Playing the same randomly generated level over and over and over and over again though ? Fuck off with that shit, why ?
giphy-downsized-large.gif

just messing brother, shame you are not enjoying it

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
It's not like he didn't praise the game a lot in his post.
Oh, for sure. It's not like I didn't noticed.
If you just want to look at the roguelike structure alone, it's pretty bad when you compare it to great ones like Hades. You keep virtually nothing, so your runs really do feel like wasted time instead of slowly unlocking some kind of minor buffs / collectibles that can at least increase enjoyment a bit while you grind to get better. Build variety is very, very low. Parasite system isn't great. They don't know how to handle the roguelike element of the game. It didn't even launch with a save.
Here's what I will say, it's not the best roguelike system and not only Hades but also a few other games killed it with fire. But for me personally, it wasn't such a big issue overall, especially considering that I got better and better at the game the more I played it. What I would say though is that there's a few enemies in the desert biome and in the underwater one which is just BS, but I eventually found a way to deal with them like they were nothing.

I'm pretty sure that Housemarque knows what they didn't do well and if we're looking at Returnal 2 here, I guarantee you that it's going to be nothing like the first game in terms of roguelike elements, or at the very least there's going to be a shit ton of accessibility options and an option to play the game like the first one as well, for those who liked how original game was.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Quality control went in to the shitter at level 3

Stages 1 and 2 are insane after that oof then near the end it got great again.

It was a flawed game with mediocre roguelike element. I would pick up hades above this any time of the week

Last edited:

Holammer

It's not like he didn't praise the game a lot in his post. If you just want to look at the roguelike structure alone, it's pretty bad when you compare it to great ones like Hades. You keep virtually nothing, so your runs really do feel like wasted time instead of slowly unlocking some kind of minor buffs / collectibles that can at least increase enjoyment a bit while you grind to get better. Build variety is very, very low. Parasite system isn't great. They don't know how to handle the roguelike element of the game. It didn't even launch with a save.
Splatoon 3's Side Order DLC beats Returnal in mechanical complexity and fun factor, splats circles around it IMO. The story is not a dreadful descent into madness where everything is a metaphor, instead you help a character fix a wrong and defeat the big bad with the power of friendship (and lots of ink). Super satisfying.

DonF

I played it when I had plus extra and I liked it but I could never get very far into it. Like I defeated 3 bosses but got hard stuck. Great looking game that Im never finishing :(

ButchCat

On second thought, it's not Sony to announce new games outside of State of Play so I don't think this is Returnal II.

Markio128

Unlikely, but if it is sequel related, it may just be a teaser for tomorrow, with more to be shown at the next SOP.

black and white please GIF

Returnal is one of my favorite games of all time. I put about 200 hours into it and it's in my Top 10. I'll absolutely buy and try anything House do going forward but the director's departure is definitely fucking worrying. That game is very Demon's Souls-y to me, a kind of "fuck it" dream project for the creator. Hard to imagine anything withput him will measure up.

Still butthurt that the Returnal director left the company
Yeah, I doubt he left mid-development on great terms. I wouldn't be surprised if Housemarque had some turmoil creating this new IP of theirs. And because of this announcement, I am even more skeptical they won't have anything to show come the SOP or showcase next month

tommib

I think this is huge guys
Maybe they were doing new ip and secretly developed returnal sequel
Omg omg omg megaton if true
I'll be very, very surprised if it's a sequel. Returnal was an expensive oddity for Sony that didn't sell that well. I honestly don't think they made money with that game - and Sony is all in the profit these days. Krueger is gone and it was his dream project, his baby.

I really think that gif is Housemarque breaking away from Selene for something new.

I'll be very, very surprised if it's a sequel. Returnal was an expensive oddity for Sony that didn't sell that well. I honestly don't think they made money with that game - and Sony is all in the profit these days. Krueger is gone and it was his dream project, his baby.

I really think that gif is Housemarque breaking away from Selene for something new.
And they are not a big enough studio to work on two new IP's, even if they are smaller games, like Returnal. VR for Returnal makes the most sense

And they are not a big enough studio to work on two new IP's, even if they are smaller games, like Returnal. VR for Returnal makes the most sense
If you could play it from a god perspective like Astro's Playroom that would be sick. Even though the combat is great, it still is a little annoying at times having TPS visibility on a shmup where you usually can see the whole stage. If you're looking down at the whole stage from above that would be more like a 3D shmup. But yeah, who knows.

tommib

I couldn't imagine the shooting sequences in VR so this VR talk was making no sense for me. Until I remembered the "house" sequences in first person. You know what would be fucking cool, a horror Returnal spin off in first person/VR with more narrative elements to flesh out Selene's background. I'm in for that. Like a horror adventure game.

It would also sell 600 copies.

Last edited:

tommib

Only time will tell if it means something for the studio when it comes to quality of their games.
What we know is that Krueger was the one obsessed with horror elements and horror art - bringing all that to Returnal. As a horror fan, he was the most exciting thing in the industry for me. I doubt they keep the horror vibe to their next game.

One of the writers for Returnal is the creative director at Housemarque now, so he's calling the shots there:

Gregory Louden

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
What we know is that Krueger was the one obsessed with horror elements and horror art - bringing all that to Returnal. As a horror fan, he was the most exciting thing in the industry for me. I doubt they keep the horror vibe to their next game.

One of the writers for Returnal is the creative director at Housemarque now, so he's calling the shots there:

Gregory Louden
I fuckin' love the art and the atmosphere in Returnal (as pretty much everything else except not so great roguelite stuff and even then not everything related to it), but I don't think that sequel must be similar art wise. Whatever they're doing with art and stuff for potential sequel, we have to wait and see if it's good or not.

I had Platinum on the PS5 before free DLC was released. Haven't played much of the PC version, only played it for a bit to check performance after many patches.

Last edited:

tommib

Returnal is one of my favorite games of all time. I put about 200 hours into it and it's in my Top 10. I'll absolutely buy and try anything House do going forward but the director's departure is definitely fucking worrying. That game is very Demon's Souls-y to me, a kind of "fuck it" dream project for the creator. Hard to imagine anything withput him will measure up.
I like your comparison with Demon's Souls. Both games put you in this purgatory/inescapable hell environment that wants you to just give up. At different points I really thought I would never be able to complete them. They're the best representations of what in my head spiritual hell is. Selene is still trapped in her own head forever fighting guilt. It's so fucking dark.

Zheph

I fuckin' love the art and the atmosphere in Returnal (as pretty much everything else except not so great roguelite stuff and even then not everything related to it), but I don't think that sequel must be similar art wise. Whatever they're doing with art and stuff for potential sequel, we have to wait and see it it's good or not.

I've Platinum on the PS5 before free DLC was released. Haven't played much of the PC version, only played it for a bit to check performance after many patches.
I saw that, was just messing with you. The platinum prepatch (not helping you finding missing collectibles) was a lot of work and I was super happy when I got it.

tommib

I fuckin' love the art and the atmosphere in Returnal (as pretty much everything else except not so great roguelite stuff and even then not everything related to it), but I don't think that sequel must be similar art wise. Whatever they're doing with art and stuff for potential sequel, we have to wait and see if it's good or not.

I had Platinum on the PS5 before free DLC was released. Haven't played much of the PC version, only played it for a bit to check performance after many patches.
How's the performance on PC? Sometimes I fantasise about buying a state of the art PC just to replay Returnal on the highest settings possible but then I read about traversal stutters and crashes and I'm like, no, not happening.

Top Bottom