• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Housemarque teasing something for tomorrow

I like your comparison with Demon's Souls. Both games put you in this purgatory/inescapable hell environment that wants you to just give up. At different points I really thought I would never be able to complete them. They're the best representations of what in my head spiritual hell is. Selene is still trapped in her own head forever fighting guilt. It's so fucking dark.
It immediately reminded of Demon's Souls in how particular it is. I mean in that there seems to be a really confident internal logic and strong will to its whole aesthetic and design. It feels like a game someone wanted and needed to make rather than most other stuff we get.

And I agree with you 100%. I have a lot of theories about the story and everything but oh boy is Returnal daaaaark. It's like Metroid Prime getting bludgeoned by Silent Hill 2.

tommib

It immediately reminded of Demon's Souls in how particular it is. I mean in that there seems to be a really confident internal logic and strong will to its whole aesthetic and design. It feels like a game someone wanted and needed to make rather than most other stuff we get.

And I agree with you 100%. I have a lot of theories about the story and everything but oh boy is Returnal daaaaark. It's like Metroid Prime getting bludgeoned by Silent Hill 2.
We're soulmates. ;) I'm sure you'll find me somewhere on GAF writing that Returnal felt like Metroid Prime via Silent Hill 2 guilt-ridden symbolism. It's all there.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
My favorite game of all time is getting a sequel???!!!!!

Season 3 Thank You GIF by The Office

All I need is this and the PS5 Pro to make this one of the best years of all time for me. Any and everything else would just be icing on the cake, and there will be LOTS of icing.

Topher

Gold Member
What if it's a better one? They're an arcade house. They're rogue-like by default. I'm not sure they know how to make a non-arcade game. Returnal is 1-coin game when you think about it.

Don't think it will matter for me. I just don't care for rogue-likes. But I totally get if they decide to stick with what they are good at. Not every game is for everyone.

Tomi

My favorite game of all time is getting a sequel???!!!!!

Season 3 Thank You GIF by The Office

All I need is this and the PS5 Pro to make this one of the best years of all time for me. Any and everything else would just be icing on the cake, and there will be LOTS of icing.
We love you man

Gonna cry tomorow with you when they announce Returnal 2

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
How's the performance on PC? Sometimes I fantasise about buying a state of the art PC just to replay Returnal on the highest settings possible but then I read about traversal stutters and crashes and I'm like, no, not happening.
Everything set to max incl. RT on a 3080Ti, 8700K @4.8GHz on all cores and 32GBs 3600 CL17 RAM - https://imgsli.com/MjYwMDg1 (with and without DLSS - not the 3.7) Benchmark showing the wrong version of the game for some reason.

Needless to say it's way better than at launch and if you consider the fact that the PC version is miles better when it comes to image and asset quality with even better RT implementation etc., I think performance is acceptable. I haven't played of the PC version much, there's traversal stutters which are a lot less noticable than at launch, but I think it's mostly related to my CPU which is 7 years old. I need to upgrade the whole platform (CPU, Mobo, RAM), but I don't think it'll happen anytime soon or makes sense yet.

Last edited:

tommib

its more fun to come hate on a thread about a game you don't care about heh...
Isn't that the whole driving motor of GAF? I honestly can't understand coming into a thread for a game you'll never play or just don't like to shit on it. Were you here when Returnal came out? What a shitstorm that was.

Except the Horizon games, I can shit on those any day of the week. I'm as weak as everyone, I guess. :(

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
How's the performance on PC? Sometimes I fantasise about buying a state of the art PC just to replay Returnal on the highest settings possible but then I read about traversal stutters and crashes and I'm like, no, not happening.

Runs and looks amazing for me

I just want a Returnal sequel that's more like Metroid . . . is that asking too much? No more rogue.
Could you imagine a Metroid game in 3rd person and had Returnal gameplay and graphics?!?!?!

Last edited:

Zheph

Isn't that the whole driving motor of GAF? I honestly can't understand coming into a thread for a game you'll never play or just don't like to shit on it. Were you here when Returnal came out? What a shitstorm that was.

Except the Horizon games, I can shit on those any day of the week. I'm as weak as everyone, I guess. :(
I was too busy playing that mofo 🔥 (but no I was on a break from boards in general)

I see why people like to shit on Horizon but at the end of the day its a 15M+ franchise somehow

GHG

It's not like he didn't praise the game a lot in his post. If you just want to look at the roguelike structure alone, it's pretty bad when you compare it to great ones like Hades. You keep virtually nothing, so your runs really do feel like wasted time instead of slowly unlocking some kind of minor buffs / collectibles that can at least increase enjoyment a bit while you grind to get better. Build variety is very, very low. Parasite system isn't great. They don't know how to handle the roguelike element of the game. It didn't even launch with a save.

The difference is that Returnal is more of a roguelike in its game design whereas Hades is a roguelite. Nothing to do with them "not being able to handle" anything, it's simply down to game design choices. Vagante, Quasimorph and Spelunky are all similar in design, it doesn't make them bad, far from it.

Whether you prefer the meta-progression heavy roguelite style of game or player knowledge/skill based style of "progression" that is synonymous with roguelikes is down to personal preference. Personally I prefer the former over the latter so didn't have a great time with Returnal, but that doesn't make it a bad game in the same way that souls-like games are not bad just because some people don't like the punishing mechanics.

tommib

The difference is that Returnal is more of a roguelike in its game design whereas Hades is a roguelite. Nothing to do with them "not being able to handle" anything, it's simply down to game design choices. Vagante, Quasimorph and Spelunky are all similar in design, it doesn't make them bad, far from it.

Whether you prefer the meta-progression heavy roguelite style of game or player knowledge/skill based style of "progression" that is synonymous with roguelikes is down to personal preference. Personally I prefer the former over the latter so didn't have a great time with Returnal, but that doesn't make it a bad game in the same way that souls-like games are not bad just because some people don't like the punishing mechanics.
This is such a fair point. People mistake their idea of "bad design" with dev ideas and intentions. A lot of people were saying that Demon's Souls at the time of release was just broken and unplayable. Look where we are now.

Returnal has a vision from a team of highly competent designers who have made some of the best arcade games of the last decade. This is not an amateur team. It's just that the game is unforgivable and that definitely matches the hell that the character is going through.

Not being able to save the game by quitting was the ultimate fuck you and they did compromise there.

Markio128

I’m going to bet on a new VR mode for the original Game - not necessarily a hybrid of the main game, but a standalone VR mode. If so, I’m in.

Neon Xenon

I haven't played Returnal (yet, waiting for a deeper sale on PC), but I do like what Housemarque does. Nex Machina was one of my favorite games that released during that year. I'm interested in whatever they do next.

It is, and with Demon's Souls and Stellar Blade it gives me some hope for a more leftfield Sony to at least keep bringing these types of games. I'm beyond done with their mainstream output.

But why ? the writing in GOW Ragnarok is stellar with Atreus being one of the best characters in existence, plus, don't forget the amazing puzzles AND beautiful, non linear Angrboda levels.
Same thing with spiderman 2, just an amazing product which subverts all expectations with 0 pandering to boot.

I don't get it

Last edited:

tommib

But why ? the writing in GOW Ragnarok is stellar with Atreus being one of the best characters in existence, plus, don't forget the amazing puzzles AND beautiful, non linear Angrboda levels.
Same thing with spiderman 2, just an amazing product which subverts all expectations with 0 pandering to boot.

I don't get it
I can't stand those games, dude. They're real global products with no unique voice in them. Super polished, and sky-high production values, etc., but you don't hear an auteur voice in them. They're made for the masses and sell accordingly. They just don't appeal to me. It's what it is.

Nintendo is pretty good at making global products while still being its own thing. They have a special sauce that no one else has (maybe From?). Being gameplay focused helps here.

Last edited:

tommib

I don't get it
OMG I FAILED WITH YOUR SARCASM

LOL

you got me there ;)

I can't stand those games, dude. They're real global products with no unique voice in them. Super polished, and sky-high production values, etc., but you don't hear an auteur voice in them. They're made for the masses and sell accordingly. They just don't appeal to me. It's what it is.

I know brother, i was being facetious 😉
Think I'm also at that point, after having an XSX since day1 I jumped ship again having missed all the PS exclusives but, truth be told, all these Horizon, GOW, Spiderman and other Sony games which cater to the masses just ain't doing it for me between all the pandering, political correctness and gameplay which feels like it's made by a committee (it is).

Ironically, I absolutely loved Days Gone, TLOU2 , liked Demon's remake and Returnal very much but, again, most of the "AAAA" offerings have been politics and spectacle first, gameplay second which doesn't sit well with me anymore.

Cheers

Alebrije

Looks like Returnal 2 or DLC for one.

Saddly not my kind of Game, tried to finish Returnal but found it difficult and I AM used to games like Sekiro. It's a different difficult stuff that My Skills can not hadle.

Good for the people that liked the first one of this reveal ends as R2.

Fredrik

I loved EVERYTHING about this game, the stellar atmosphere, the mystery behind it all, the OST, the artistic direction, the gameplay, but...the game's rogue-like nature can go fook itself, 3rd boss was what did it for me, I just didn't want/didn't have the time to make an almost perfect run of the 1st biome every G'damn time just to power-up the character as to be able to stand a chance against the 3rd biome and its boss even with the various level short-cuts unlocked, i found it to be just wasted time in the end and unfortunately I had to drop the damn game...

How I wish for this to have been a "normal", story driven TPS instead of the rogue-like/rogue-lite we got, ain't nobody got time for this shit and this is why I generally dislike rogue like games.

What a shame, I really, REALLY wanted to adore it, instead, I just ended up liking it and unfortunately never finished it ffs...

These type of games are literally made for me (dark sci-fi) and while I love a good challenge, the repetition from everything rogue-like is where I draw the line...
Getting destroyed by Owl/Genichiro/Ashina again and again ? No problem.
Getting spammed by off-camera IS ninjas on Master ninja in NG2 ? Sure, I can deal with it.
Backtracking all the way to where you died as to get your souls back in souls-likes? that's Ok.
Playing the same randomly generated level over and over and over and over again though ? Fuck off with that shit, why ?
I hated it too, spent replaying the first level for 9 hours, pure hatred inside, made Elden Ring seem like a kids game.

Then I found out you could pause your cycle and upload to the cloud and then when you die you could just download your saved cycle from the cloud again.

= 1 save
All I needed.

The cloud trick turned the game into my favorite Sony game of all time. Played through it and loved it enough to keep playing it for awhile after seeing the end.

Last edited:
Top Bottom