• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Activision Uses Matchmaking Tricks to Sell In-Game Items

kliklik

Banned
It wouldn't necessarily put you against them though. It could make them your teammate.

But then you wouldn't likely notice what gear they're using, right? Usually that info is surfaced to you in your death screen "killed by ___ with ___".

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Positive spin: the fact that Activision has a patent on this means other publishers can't do the same thing

This will be fun to watch how other big pubs who want that money will innovate to find their way to get it.

kiguel182

Applying current machine learning techniques to stuff like this was the natural step for games as a service.

Game design is all about tricking the player to feel stuff so when you mix that with micro transactions you get this. Parts of the game made just to make you want to buy stuff and you are unaware of that most of the time. But the message still gets to you.

This is found all over advertising and web services. It’s how the world runs today and this big companies will use whatever they can to make money.

Strakt

In Cod (or at least the last couple) each new DLC introduces new weapons for buyers but they can only be obtained through supply drops.

Essentially triple dipping. Buy the game, buy the season pass, buy (or earn) loot creates to get the items you already paid for in the season pass.

I've experienced instances in Black Ops 3 of playing against players who have these weapons (sometimes really powerful weapons) that I don't have access to because I'm not a season pass holder, even on base game maps. Which in turn, means I'll never buy another CoD game again till they change this.

Ahh thats pretty whack

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Applying current machine learning techniques to stuff like this was the natural step for games as a service.

Game design is all about tricking the player to feel stuff so when you mix that with micro transactions you get this. Parts of the game made just to make you want to buy stuff and you are unaware of that most of the time. But the message still gets to you.

This is found all over advertising and web services. It’s how the world runs today and this big companies will use whatever they can to make money.

Most games, especially older arcade games, use interesting tricks as well to get people to spend time playing it. It's a fascinating look, at how the best way is to make leaderboards, how to brand certain people who have spent a certain amount of time or money. Lots of really cool stuff out there.

Shady859

So in theory all those purely cosmetic gotcha game items could be pay to win as they'll match you with lower level/new players.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So in theory all those purely cosmetic gotcha game items could be pay to win as they'll match you with lower level/new players.

That's a stretch - they just want to increase visibility of what you don't have, reminding you of what you don't have as often as it can to make sure you feel like you need to keep up.

mugwhump

That's insanely scummy, but are they actually going to implement it? Or will it remain nothing but a patent, like MCDONALD'S!!!

The part about deliberately matching players with those above their skill level seems very risky. I think the data has shown that players don't like getting destroyed, and it can make them drop a game pretty quick.

However, making your store highlight items that better players were using seems like it could work. It's just changing the matchmaking algorithm itself that seems dangerous.

Aters

Glad Activision filed the patent. That means other companies can't use it, and I don't give a fuck about Activision games.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I think this is a difficult thing to prove. Unless a developer comes out and says this is the algorithm we created for this very scheme, I have a tough time believing it.

If your gaming logic ends up regulated like it is for slot machine manufacturers, then you submit your code and documentation to GLI for testing, review, and certification.

Audioboxer

Should we pair new players together for the best matchmaking experience for learning?

"For instance, the microtransaction engine may match a more expert/marquee player with a junior player to encourage the junior player to make game-related purchases of items possessed/used by the marquee player. A junior player may wish to emulate the marquee player by obtaining weapons or other items used by the marquee player."

"In a particular example, the junior player may wish to become an expert sniper in a game (e.g., as determined from the player profile)," according to the patent. "The microtransaction engine may match the junior player with a player that is a highly skilled sniper in the game. In this manner, the junior player may be encouraged to make game-related purchases such as a rifle or other item used by the marquee player. "

51rKwe6.gif

Bizazedo

But then you wouldn't likely notice what gear they're using, right? Usually that info is surfaced to you in your death screen "killed by ___ with ___".
Micro transactions are cosmetics a majority of the time and Destiny as an example has several interludes in PvP where you can admire them.

tebunker

Banned
You should have finished reading the article before naming the topic as such. The article doesnt explicitly say this is what Activision does. Merely that they filed a patent for the practice. Article mentions that they reached out and would like to hear back from

It is the title of the effing article. I copied directly from glixel. If you have a problem point it at them.

Wait.. does this mean COSMETIC micro-transactions can become Pay-2-Win because you will get matched against more junior (and thus inexperienced) players more often? Or if it's "match WITH", as in same team, does this mean cosmetics can be Pay-2-Lose?

Nope. Just the opposite really. If you are a junior you may want as few items as possible so the system matches you up with players with better gear. So really, the least amount that you spend on MTs the better chance you get pairs with higher quality players!

Nightbird

That's insanely scummy, but are they actually going to implement it? Or will it remain nothing but a patent, like MCDONALD'S!!!

The part about deliberately matching players with those above their skill level seems very risky. I think the data has shown that players don't like getting destroyed, and it can make them drop a game pretty quick.

However, making your store highlight items that better players were using seems like it could work. It's just changing the matchmaking algorithm itself that seems dangerous.

As long as the game doesn't constantly do that, the gamer will probably not notice.

Like if one out of 10 matches is against a player much stronger than you, that still leaves you with 9 matches against people of equal (or lesser) skill.

joecanada

In Cod (or at least the last couple) each new DLC introduces new weapons for buyers but they can only be obtained through supply drops.

Essentially triple dipping. Buy the game, buy the season pass, buy (or earn) loot creates to get the items you already paid for in the season pass.

I've experienced instances in Black Ops 3 of playing against players who have these weapons (sometimes really powerful weapons) that I don't have access to because I'm not a season pass holder, even on base game maps. Which in turn, means I'll never buy another CoD game again till they change this.

lol I quit cod years ago due to the fact they don't give a shit about their servers hence neither do I........ but at least I know where all that effort went now.

kuYuri

Article title is misleading as it makes it sound like Activision already does this. It should be more like “How Activision Plans to use Matchmaking Tricks...”

But yeah, I’m glad I don’t plan on playing any CoD or Destiny games that may use this anytime soon.

brad-t

Article title is misleading as it makes it sound like Activision already does this. It should be more like “How Activision Plans to use Matchmaking Tricks...”

It's just as much of an assumption to assume that they don't do this. But I agree it shouldn't be stated as if they definitively are. Hopefully we'll get more insight into this.

Oh you motherfuckers.

Exactly the kind of underhanded bullshit made possible with online microtransactions.

Article title is misleading as it makes it sound like Activision already does this. It should be more like ”How Activision Plans to use Matchmaking Tricks..."

First paragraph:

Activision was granted a patent this month for a system it uses to convince people in multiplayer games to purchase items for a game through microtransactions.
The "System and method for driving microtransactions in multiplayer video games" was filed in 2015, but granted on October 17th, according to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

Opa-Pa

This is a very obvious tactic that I assumed at least a couple big publishers were already using, but I'm surprised it's patented lol.

A system like that is downright psychological exploitation.

You're not wrong but this is how the big majority of microtransaction based stuff works in games, hence why we make a big deal out of them. They just don't toss them into games, they design the whole thing around the idea of making you want them.

But hey, it doesn't bother some very smart players, so it's ok, trust me.

nynt9

Gotta say, this is pretty clever. Taking from the ad industry (which is also, to quote that post above, "downright psychological exploitation").

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much. People not even blinking an eye at the amount of ads we get served nowadays is a testament to this.

Yes, and the old "advertising doesn't affect me!" load of horseshit people don't realize. Yes, it works on you. YES IT DOES

I know. And it is too. But I don't pay for advertising.

You might! Got any name brand clothing? You might not, but it's easy to pay to advertise for others

Toki767

When I constantly lose matches to a super skilled player, it doesn't make me want to take a look at what they're using. It makes me want to stop playing.

I get their logic, but I don't know that it really works the way they think it does.

Was playing COD last night, master prestige.

Every game had no other masters and I have quite a share of the high end loot in the game... before I would always get master players plus I have the DLC installed so it's even more worrying this might not be wrong.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
When I constantly lose matches to a super skilled player, it doesn't make me want to take a look at what they're using. It makes me want to stop playing.

I get their logic, but I don't know that it really works the way they think it does.

If it doesn't, then it will get trimmed and adjusted so it does. Money will talk in the end.

Ugly truth is for a lot of people it probably does work, or they wouldn't work so hard developing this.

Aomber

Article title is misleading as it makes it sound like Activision already does this. It should be more like ”How Activision Plans to use Matchmaking Tricks..."

But yeah, I'm glad I don't plan on playing any CoD or Destiny games that may use this anytime soon.

I mean, the article definitely says it's a system they currently use & is something they filed for in 2015. I don't know if they are basing that on fact, but in theory there's nothing stopping them from using a system while it's being patented. Regardless, I'd assume Rolling Stone has done their research.

it would've worked if i saw the 1887's in action and they offered it to me.

if they had a micros transaction to nullify noob tubes, they make a lot of money back then.

Top Bottom