• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Activision Uses Matchmaking Tricks to Sell In-Game Items

hollomat

Banned
Very poorly written article. Activision filed and received the patent, but the article makes it seem that Activision is using this system in its games. It may very well be, but the article doesn’t offer any proof or cite any examples from games. All it does it say what the patent is for.

Because its not just a patent filing - according to the article these techniques are in use.

The article says the techniques are in use, but provides no evidence or any examples of it being used in Activision games.

kuYuri

I mean, the article definitely says it's a system they currently use & is something they filed for in 2015. I don't know if they are basing that on fact, but in theory there's nothing stopping them from using a system while it's being patented. Regardless, I'd assume Rolling Stone has done their research.

Oh I see. So that means that Destiny and CoD would be the games affected by this. Do you know if Destiny has noticeably powerful weapons that can be received via MTs?

nampad

I am not surprised by this and I think many other devs might also do this, especially in the mobile F2P market.

tebunker

Banned
Oh I see. So that means that Destiny and CoD would be the games affected by this. Do you know if Destiny has noticeably powerful weapons that can be received via MTs?

Bright engrams in destiny 2 can definitely drop gear like weapons and armor. I wouldn't call the the best, I wouldn't call them worst. I haven't seen too many using them either though.

Destiny's mts are more cosmetic than anything right now. Much like Overwatch.

yuraya

This industry sure became a lot of fun eh? And people ask why I play retro games.

Don't worry. Its only a matter of time until they bring back retro games with tacked on multiplayer locked behind a monthly subscription.....And better yet they'll figure out a way to sell you unneeded hardware to play them.

Oh wait a minute.

Toki767

Bright engrams in destiny 2 can definitely drop gear like weapons and armor. I wouldn't call the the best, I wouldn't call them worst. I haven't seen too many using them either though.

Bright engrams don't drop weapons. Only 1 armor set that isn't really any better than the normal ones.

roytheone

As someone that isn't that good in online games so good skill based matchmaking is vital for me, this sounds disgusting and a way to totally ruin an online game for me.

but guys, remember it's all optional

The article says the techniques are in use, but provides no evidence or any examples of it being used in Activision games.

And how exactly would Rolling Stone be able access backend code? They'd have to ask an employee to leak that kind of information.

Yes and no. Bright engrams can be bought with real money and will sometimes drop powerful gear, but it's definitely tuned more for cosmetics.

The best guns as of now need to be acquired by playing the game normally.

Raven117

I mean...so they are implementing real life in a game...gotcha.

Really, gamers need to check how they are being manipulated.

Pay to win is different though.

Daffy Duck

Activision, you fucking cunts.

Coming from the fucks that offer 50% off their supply drops but only when you spend CoD points and not crypto keys none of this surprises me.

tebunker

Banned
Bright engrams don't drop weapons. Only 1 armor set that isn't really any better than the normal ones.
Hrm maybe I got it from another package. It was definitely a power level 10 weapon in the same vein as that armor that drops.

Eitherway, like was posted, Deej just went on twitter and confirmed that Bungie doesn't use the tech. Which confirms it exists and that it is in use elsewhere.

Let's stop the doubting now.

As Destiny doesn't have this, and Overwatch is entirely about cosmetics, this pretty much leaves Call of Duty as the only game that could have this. And the last three COD games have had some horrible microtransactions. It's why I refuse to buy COD WWII.

Fisty

Oh look, another reason to never buy Activision games. Hopefully this means other pubs won't be able to use this.

Daffy Duck

As Destiny doesn't have this, and Overwatch is entirely about cosmetics, this pretty much leaves Call of Duty as the only game that could have this. And the last three COD games have had some horrible microtransactions. It's why I refuse to buy COD WWII.

Yeah it was obvious it was CoD that had this.

Callandor

No weapons in Destiny 2 come from microtransactions, so that's not an issue at all.

There is an armor set that rarely drops from the Bright Engrams, but it's perks are no different than all the other armor sets, so it's strictly cosmetic.

So, no, nothing game-breaking comes from the mictotransactions.

ViviOggi

Not surprised in the least. Right now nothing is stopping developers from pulling next level fuckery behind the scenes of their online games. But hey, games still only cost 60 bucks!

SoulUnison

Banned
If I were matched with a much better player who was using highly effective weapons bought through microtransactions, my reaction wouldn't be to also buy those weapons.

Instead, I'd quit playing the game for its piss-poor matchmaking.

We're all heavy hobbyist gamers, though - we know and probably have other games to play.

The people they're targeting probably fall into a sunk-cost paradigm where they just spent $60 bucks on a game and everybody's so far ahead of them that they feel they'll never catch up, so why not drop a few bucks to try to level the playing field and not make that original $60 feel like a waste?

Compsiox

Banned
Is it not enough to just let people by them as they wish? While there are games that are built around microtransactions, this is on a whole other level.

Manipulating people through multiplayer gameplay to buy them is terrible.

ViviOggi

I hope the posters reassuring themselves that this specific patent only applies to CoD don't actually think e.g. OW's lootboxes aren't based on algorithms built specifically to maximize income?

Fisty

We're all heavy hobbist games, though - we know and probably have other games to play.

The people they're targeting probably fall into a sunk-cost paradigm where they just spent $60 bucks on a game and everybody's so far ahead of them that they feel they'll never catch up, so why not drop a few bucks to try to level the playing field and not make that original $60 feel like a waste?

Oh wow, I never even thought of it that way. Guess this "everything was unlocks" bullshit that infected shooters at the end of last gen morphed into something far more insidious. That was one of the reasons I basically quit playing those types of games.

Daffy Duck

So this is the reasoning behind the headquarters mode and ability to show everything off, they’ve been tuning the system the last few years and WWII will be pushing the system massively.

Budi

I hope the posters reassuring themselves that this specific patent only applies to CoD don't actually think e.g. OW's lootboxes aren't based on algorithms built specifically to maximize income?
Loot boxes definitely are exploitative, it's not even hidden mechanic. But still many people don't seem to realize it or they just accept it since they feel like exploiting players makes the game better by allowing funding of future updates.

The only way for this system to do so is to make sure you're paired with people with lots of rare items. Overwatch is entirely cosmetic, so it doesn't affect every player. I have left all my OW loot boxes unopened, just sitting there.

a916

They are all designed to entice players... I don't know why anyone is surprised or appalled about them going to this much effort of, well, enticing players. This has probably been going on for a while (**) or are people just feeling duped now that the "blind fold" has been taken off?

** and by for a while I mean in one form or another. They want to push you towards this stuff, some games do it well enough if you don't buy it you don't notice it while others force it and hamper the game.

Don't worry. Its only a matter of time until they bring back retro games with tacked on multiplayer locked behind a monthly subscription.....And better yet they'll figure out a way to sell you unneeded hardware to play them.

Oh wait a minute.

thank god emulators will always exist

plus the original systems themselves

We're all heavy hobbist games, though - we know and probably have other games to play.

Exactly. "I'll just play something else" works when you have a ton of options and buy 10, 15, 20 games a year.

But there are millions of people that *only* play CoD, so they don't care for the opportunity cost of spending that money to get another game. To them it's they play CoD and spend tons of time playing it every year, what does it hurt to drop a few extra dollars throughout the year on mictrostransactions and lootboxes?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't even know if scummy is the word for it, it's straight up built to undermine players in a competitive space if they're not throwing money at the game.

This is SUPER fucked.

Sulik2

Even though I don't buy mts I think I might need to stop buying games that include them. It really seems like in the last year game design has started shifting to supporting mts in AAA games as the games entire goal instead of being about gameplay.

Crash331

Bright engrams only drop 1 armor set, the Optimacy set. It looks kinda cool, but you get it all at 10 power. It is by no means pay 2 win. I have 3 pieces of the set and have spent $0 on bright engrams.

For a massive multi-billionaire dollar company to employ such sly and rapacious tactics like this is... is... shocking?

But seriously this is worryingly invasive.

Dmax3901

If I were matched with a much better player who was using highly effective weapons bought through microtransactions, my reaction wouldn't be to also buy those weapons.

Instead, I'd quit playing the game for its piss-poor matchmaking.

Yeah that or it's apparent use of pay-to-win MTs.

I was matched with people in TLOU:R MP where they had all the top tier items and perks. It encouraged me to turn off the game and never play that MP mode again.

That game took a turn for the worse. You should've been there back when it launched on PS3. One of my top multiplayer games of all time, it was INCREDIBLE.

but yeah, this is predatory. I'm the same way, I either gitgud or just stop. This preys on people who easily open their wallets. Sucks that we've come this far, but I'm not surprised. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Top Bottom