• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are you dealing with all this bullshit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogodei

I did the Women's March last weekend.

It sucks, because who really wants to give up precious personal time for activism? I'm still debating how deep i want to get in.

I've been attacking right-wing memes on facebook pretty relentlessly, but I'll admit that's a destructive action for my own gratification rather than helping anyone.

ACE 1991

I did the Women's March last weekend.

It sucks, because who really wants to give up precious personal time for activism? I'm still debating how deep i want to get in.

I've been attacking right-wing memes on facebook pretty relentlessly, but I'll admit that's a destructive action for my own gratification rather than helping anyone.

My new years resolution was to stop doing this. It adds nothing of value to anyone.

MrNelson

Banned
I've completely disengaged from Facebook.

I've spent the last few months since the election trying to fight the good fight with right-winged family members, but they either don't want to hear it or just write that shit off. I've realized you can't change anyone's mind with a back and forth comment chain, no matter how much evidence you bring to the table if they aren't willing to at least listen to you. This level of ignorance is going to require frank face to face conversation to fix.

Organizing. Protesting. Talking even more with family. Giving the thumbs up to my dem congresspeople when I see them on the street.

Protesting isn't going to do shit. If people really cared, they'd be riotting.

Peaceful protest is nice and all, but sometimes a stronger message needs to be sent.

necrosis

by distracting myself with the arts when necessary, seeking support as i see fit, and by attacking trump and his supporters via whatever avenues are available to me

Piggus

I'm looking forward to VOTING in the midterms and I will be encouraging fellow young people to vote as well.

Young Americans need to get off their lazy asses and vote. Complaining gets us nowhere. In 2014 less than TWENTY PERCENT of millennials voted. Look what happened. Last year less than half of eligible millennials voted. LOOK WHAT HAPPENED.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I've been in a pretty deep depression hole since an accident involving a family member months ago so I've mostly been getting fucked up, staring at the ceiling, sucking at my job and waiting for Zelda in the hope that maybe that will make things better. Also, been trying real hard to not say anything on the Internet that will get me put on a list. I go overboard when I'm in these holes and this whole situation makes self-censorship pretty hard.

Omadahl

Banned
Protesting isn't going to do shit. If people really cared, they'd be riotting

My family gets pissed at me when I say we should be charging the steps of congress and demanding our voices be heard. Signing a petition and following half an onion on twitter isn't going to accomplish anything. We're fast approaching a significant clash if this crap continues.

Ogodei

My new years resolution was to stop doing this. It adds nothing of value to anyone.

The excuse i tell myself is that letting them live in their own little bubbles is what caused this mess to begin with, but i think it's just coverage for the fact that i've developed a nasty streak in the last 10 weeks that wasn't there before.

A mix of things.

I've started walking more, usually getting in about 10 miles a day. I just started going on a diet.

But I've also found myself drinking rather heavily, getting horribly depressed, and getting into much more heated arguments with my brother, who, ever since he decided to become a conservative fuck has basically walled himself off from the rest of the family and been a racist, sexist, homophobic shit.

He's 16 and wants to go into the Marines. My other younger brother, who's 18 and in the Air Force right now (just finished boot camp) has stopped speaking to him.

So I'm just working through life as best I can.

The way I see it, the rich run america. They own all the politicians and the common folk are brainwashed by the media into viewing them as gods. Since the government cannot be relied upon to not be shit, you just have to get out that there, grind for those dollars, and then if you make it rich everyone will suck your dick and if anyone complains you can scream CLASS WARFARE at them

I've been shaken up since the brexit vote, trump just added more fuel to the fire. How can you deal with this bullshit? Nothing but bad news that grinds you down and makes you feel like you don't belong in your own country. I try to not think about it when i need some time off and occasionally blow off some steam on the internet.

JordanN

Banned
I look forward to when the media starts mocking Trump.

We need more anti-Trump messages in TV, Movies, Video Games and Music similar to when Bush was president.

tPMQkVP.jpg

mackattk

There was a lot of doom and gloom before Trump became president. I think he blew all that out of the water. Before I thought well, maybe he will be more moderate and just saying this stuff to get elected.. try to appeal to the rust belt. Apparently I was totally wrong about that. The damage he is doing now will take a LONG LONG time to fix. It is going to be a rough couple months.

Part of me thinks that the GOP is just pushing all this on Trump (from what I know he is easily persuaded), and then do a total 180 and blame Trump for everything when/if he gets impeached. The GOP gets what they want without having to look like the bad guy. This is all just speculation though, without any truth basis.

SmartBase

Trump's been great, I've previously considered moving to the states but Trump's really helped me in avoiding your corporate dystopia. Same goes for Brexit and the UK.

Still need to use keyword filters on GAF though, kinda sick of half of the OT threads being about your orange leader. I guess that's how I deal with it.

Rootbeer

Banned
Considering I live in one of the Sanctuary Cities that Trump and his administration are about to go at war with in a hard way... that on top of all the other shit that he is doing... yeah, it's just about all I think about lately.

And I know I'm not alone... my Twitter feed has been non-stop Trump shit all month long and no signs of stopping.

As bad as it is, I try to just take it all in and put it in perspective, that as a white male living in a liberal city on the west coast, I will be one of the least effected of all of Trump's various impacts. So I try to think about it more from other perspectives who are going to have it way way worse. That is what is helping to keep me on top of my thoughts.

Working on my novels/writing career that in the hopes they take off I can get my message out there and through them. Maybe influence people or at least the next generations.

mike6467

Confining my Facebook and current events time to a strict block of 20 minutes per day, no exceptions. OT GAF is harder to dodge, but I've reduced the time I spend in here and tried to spend more time in gaming.

It's not willful ignorance, as appealing as that may be, sticking all that shit into one block of time helps me stay sane the rest of the day while still being informed.

Before I made that change, I'd be checking my phone randomly and see more headlines/FB posts that made me depressed/angry out of nowhere. It was really hurting my quality of life.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Same as always, getting my friends together and figuring out how we're gonna organize and protest this shit.

With more internal screaming, of course.

smisk

Not well at all to be honest. Been more depressed, anxious and unmotivated the past few days than I can ever remember being. Went to the march and it was great, but I really need to find a way to do activist stuff regularly.
It would probably help if I cut down on twitter a bit..

HvySky

Surrounding myself with friends and loved ones. Trying to get together with people I care for more often. If nothing else, these hard times are reminding me how much I appreciate what I do have and live for.

Seventy70

He's doing a lot of damage, but everyone coming together to shit on him and his reaction to that is just hilarious. As long as I know he's suffering, I can make it through.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
1. Looking for any way I can get a math teaching job in New Zealand or Canada.

2. Immersing myself in Parks and Recreation.

Part of me thinks that the GOP is just pushing all this on Trump (from what I know he is easily persuaded), and then do a total 180 and blame Trump for everything when/if he gets impeached. The GOP gets what they want without having to look like the bad guy. This is all just speculation though, without any truth basis.

Definitely this isn't all Trump. He wouldn't have the inside knowledge and pre-existing agenda to push a lot of the bad stuff that's come down already. This is the GOP running around like a kid in a candy store and doing what they've wanted to do for decades, now that they lack substantial elected opposition to their plans. This goes for a good chunk of Trump's cabinet picks and a lot of the executive orders we've seen so far. This is full establishment bullshit, and Trump and the GOP are enabling each other for now.

Hoping & praying that some shit will happen that will cause Trump to be impeached & also hope that everyone in the GOP suffers.

NotSelf

I'm ok dealing with life the same way I dealt with life before trump. trump doesn't hold my mental well being and happiness in his hands or no man for that matter.

Donating. I mean, I'm a part time grocery store employee. But I already did $40 this month, another $15 to the ACLU this Friday. I also want to look into volunteering, be it for the ecosystem or soup kitchens, but asocial tendencies making it hard.

Linkura

Getting pretty fucking depressed and anxious here. I guess I'd say I'm not dealing.

Just called my Senators and Congresswoman (all Dems who are pissed off about this bullshit and actively working to do what they can) to thank them for their work and to tell them to keep fighting. Almost started crying on Warren's answering machine. I work for a pro-immigrant org. I still feel so fucking helpless that this country is going to shit right before our eyes.

I stayed away from Off Topic and my Facebook wall for two months. I still only visit sparingly.

I reignited my video gaming hobby after years of neglecting it and started going back to Gaming side.

I think about how Obama will continue to be active after his vacation, and I hold out hope that he will be a vocal critic of Trump and a champion of sanity.

In the back of my mind I seriously consider buying a gun, a guard dog, and a supply of MREs so that my family can be more secure in case the unthinkable happens. The only thing that stops me is the cost, combined with my credit card debt.

harSon

Banned
He has actually surpassed my expectations in the worst way possible.

I'm not taking it terribly well. Each day the nightmare somehow gets more and more awful.

Just been playing more video games, filtering out all the depressing threads in OT until all I see is comics, movies and TV show news.

It's depressing, and my brain can't handle it right now, thinking about it puts me into a state where I will have to self medicate with copious amounts of Marijuana.

So yeah, I'm dealing with it, not much to discuss.

Luckily I have a wife and kids to focus on so i'm not entirely engulfed in it.

I'm donating to organizations like planned parenthood, been to a few protests, going to local events, writing and calling my local/ state officials, planning how much i'll be able to volunteer in '18, etc.

Nepenthe

I plan on being more politically active through protests and calls, and I want to do some charity efforts to donate to socially progressive groups and causes.

Also, trying to take some Schadenfreude from the fact that liberals were right about how horrible the GOP and many of their constituents were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom