• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are you dealing with all this bullshit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fairly certain this is true? Its been a while. They were presidential "proclamations" back in the day, essentially the same thing.

The actual proclamation from Library of Congress: http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/GW/gw004.html

That's for a single day of Thanksgiving - to observe just that day in 1787. Not a federal holiday- Abe Lincoln instituted the holiday. Washington's first order was that no citizens shall interfere with the war between England and France.

A script has helped me with this haha. Most of the "call your senators" sites have good ones to go off of.

I've been doing petitions and calling senators several times per week since the election. I'm really kicking myself for not going to the march this weekend. I'd like to find somewhere to donate to, as well. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking Planned Parenthood or Sierra Club. It's hard to tell which organization(s) are going to need it the most.

The AAAS is good for donations as well.

Sotha_Sil

That's for a single day of Thanksgiving - to observe just that day in 1787. Not a federal holiday- Abe Lincoln instituted the holiday. Washington's first order was that no citizens shall interfere with the war between England and France.

Ah, I see. I stand corrected then, but those are fairly minor distinctions to the point of the head executive making his own determinations without oversight or predetermined mechanism.

thinking about the eventual heat death of the universe and how to not be a detriment to society at a local level. That and girlfriend, music, games and books occupying my time.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Well.. if you can somehow figure out a way to unroot that Senator, that would go a looong ways. That's an ultimate grass roots campaign you and your fellow dems in your state will have to work on. At the very least, at least it seems that it's going to be a challenge with fewer obstacles than if the reps were super conservative.

It's a lost cause in Georgia unfortunately. The state is just too majority republican outside of the Atlanta Metro area. The longer term incumbent is well liekd in the state (Isakson) and wins re-election easily and Perdue won easily to replace Saxby Chambliss a couple years back.

Any democrat who'd win at the state level (senate or governor) is one of the blue dog types that's republican in all but name, just not as extreme as actual republicans in the Deep South.

Living in Atlanta its really just the primaries for state and local stuff that matter as the general elections go heavily democrat for local things, state reps and our congressional district (John Lewis).

I always vote, but the general elections are an excercise in futility for the most part.

Might be a better question for ParentGaf.

But parents, how are you dealing with this? I know you might feel like crawling into a hole and just let things go, but as parents we can't really do that.

Also, How do you talk about this kind of stuff with your kids? How are your Kids dealing with it (If they even know what is going on?)

For me personally, I'm sort of glad that my kids are too young to understand what is going on (My son is 6). We were watching Nick Jr one night, and a Ron Paul commercial came on talking about how the World was going to end. That freaked out my son.

One thing I'm doing is reading more. I've got a stack of books on authoritarianism as it currently exists in the world, Putin, Erdogan, and the white working class to go through.

Currently this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1421419971/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's a little dry, but it's up-to-date and shows a pretty chilling picture of how democratic liberalism is in danger of going into decline, if it's not already. And it shows how authoritarian governments like Russia, China, and Iran use propaganda and state-run media to try to influence the liberal world to be more accepting of autocracy.

I want to seek out some historical reading on successful resistance movements and revolutions.

messiaen

Medical marijuana

Seriously though, it's making me write more music than I wrote all of last year and it's only January.

I'm doing more game reviewing than ever it feels like.

Used to be I'd write about 1 or 2 games a week. Now it's closer to 4-6. At least I'm being productive and spending less time agonizing over how quickly this country is going to Hell.

The two party system sucks in a ton of ways, but voting third party does nothing at all to fix it and only serves to potentially help the candidate that is farthest away from you. It's also especially ignorant when one of the two main candidates is utterly unqualified for the job, dangerously narcissistic and in general a terrible human being.

So long as the two party system is in place, you have two candidates to vote for. Trying to 'protest' the system by not participating in it will only work against the candidate who is closest to your interests.
What if it's not just about protesting the system but actually feeling like a 3rd party candidate would be a better president than the top 2 (which may have actually been true)?
I would never fault anyone for having a problem with the 2 party system. But that's what we have, and we would need to fundamentally change how our voting system works for third party votes to be anything more than cutting off one's nose to spite their face. The only fantasy where a third party rises to power is if one of the two main parties completely collapses and leaves a void to fill. In which case we would again have a 2 party system and be back to square one with people voting for new third parties to cut off their noses with.
Then what would be a realistic step in giving other parties a chance? If just voting for them in general election is wrong how is this problem of the 2 party system ever gonna be solved?
I wonder how she would answer if you asked her now.
We had this conversation after Trump won.
so is getting rights taken away so....
What's that got to do with anything?
"Both candidates are just as bad! I'm going to vote 3rd party out of spite to show how dissatisfied I am!"

Anyway, to answer the OP, I'm just trying to tune it out right now. There really isn't much I can do at the moment, so I'm focused on improving my own personal situation.
I really don't think it was just about spite. Maybe she liked Stein more.

It is time for a woman to be president, but that woman is not Hillary

I watch lots of Netflix. Then again I, unlike many have faith in the press, the institutions we have in place and America as whole to overcome. As bad as it is, and it will get worse trust me, I refuse to lose faith in my country that has given me everything I know and love, I refuse to lose faith in it's people. I like to have an optimistic view instead of the gloomy ones I constantly see on the Interwebs including here.

People donating millions to the ACLU over the weekend is proof of this. Peaceful protest in JFK and around the nation is proof of this. Sally Yates (as political as it may have been) is proof of this. "Fake News" is proof of this.

Posting and shouting "Fuck Trump" or "Trump this or Trump that" isn't going to resolve anything. In fact he will use it as ammo, as fuel to cater to his base to affirm to them that everything they believe about us, the "opposition party" is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom