• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much will No Man's Sky cost?

RedSwirl

I appreciate the more old-school way Hello Games is taking the presentation of NMS too. All I was saying is, it's not being marketed the way a traditional AAA game tends to be marketed, and that could have an affect on the perceived risk of the game both from the perspective of Hello Games and the perspective of the people buying it.

I didn't know this and I'm now expecting a lot of disappointed people when they find out the majority of planets are just rocks and don't contain life forms.

The point is making those life-filled planets more special and rare. And the universe wouldn't look believable at all if every planet in a system was a garden world. Plus, even the planets without life on them will still have points of interest as well as resources to mine.

The rarity feeling works. I've been exploring uncharted systems in Elite: Dangerous for 40 hours and have yet to find a single Earth-like planet. I keep playing partly in the hopes I'll find one. I've found a few water worlds but that's it.

This is stupid.

They are the first developer to make an algorithm for a universe on a... universal scale.

Seriously. I mean. Do you even.

Wait what? The Elite games have been doing most of what NMS has promised for decades. Elite 1 (1984) was pretty basic, but Frontier: Elite II actually looks a lot like NMS: you can seamlessly land on planet-sized planets, and it has an entire galaxy (galaxies?) of star systems to explore with many of the same activities going on. One person developed that game in 1993. The only major differences from NMS are NMS is doing procedurally generated life, NMS will let you walk around on the ground, NMS won't have realistic distances between planets, and Elite II has graphics that look like Star Fox 1.

RedSwirl

Judging by this thread, every Ubisoft game should be priced at $200+ considering how dozens of teams work on them.

Uncharted 4, $150. 400 people at one time touched it's development.

We should really be using manhours to account for how long those people were working on the game. Better start saving for that $1000 FFXV release.

That's assuming man-hours are the only factor involved in the price of a game. I've already explained in this thread how there are other factors including sales expectations, marketing, and so-on that all come together to paint a rough picture of how much risk a publisher is taking by selling a game for $60. And often times it isn't really $60 anymore because of DLC and season passes.

Ubisoft can do that for Assassin's Creed games because they reliably sell millions of copies now. Thus, Ubisoft can afford to spend more money and resources developing a game while still only selling it for $60. Rockstar could afford to pump $250 million into a game and sell it for $60 a unit because that game was Grand Theft Auto V and was thus guaranteed to sell in the tens of millions.

Similarly, Nintendo can get away with charging $60 for games that probably have far lower production budgets because their main games have high sales expectations. Nintendo characters and the Nintendo brand still mean something to a lot of people which is how they remain at full price for so long. The prices of Call of Duty games fall at a pretty slow rate for likely similar reasons.

Most indie games do not have that luxury. They not only have smaller budgets but also smaller sales expectations.

What I've stared to notice is the indie games that are going for higher prices these days tend to be the developers' second game (or at least second game since "indie gaming" became a well-known thing in recent times). Johnathan Blow likely got away with charging $40 for The Witness not just for content in it, but also because it had Braid as a stepping Stone. Blow probably had more resources to put into The Witness -- raising its cost (not to mention spending seven years making the game). The Witness also got a lot more notoriety, partly thinks to Sony, but also thanks to it being a game from That Guy You Know Who Made Braid.

Top Bottom