• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to brick an Xbone in six easy steps.

Iacobellis

Why did Microsoft leave a debug mode in the retail OS, anyways? At least make the button combination a little harder to figure out.

Megasoum

Banned
Why did Microsoft leave a debug mode in the retail OS, anyways? At least make the button combination a little harder to figure out.

It's not a debug mode.... It's a screen that lets you access the debug mode. Anybody that goes in there but that doesn't have the proper entitlement on the Microsoft server won't be able to do anything special.

Savitar

Yeah that's a pretty shitty thing to put out there, I could see quite a few kids failing prey to this including the common not knowing better older type.

Megasoum

Banned
And the difference is...

The difference is that nobody can't do anything in there unless Microsoft let them do it.

It's like if you have access to the console in a PC game but none of the commands work.... Sure you can see "dev stuff" but you can't actually do anything with it.

Gaz_RB

The difference is that nobody can't do anything in there unless Microsoft let them do it.

It's like if you have access to the console in a PC game but none of the commands work.... Sure you can see "dev stuff" but you can't actually do anything with it.

Except put your console into an infinite reboot loop

oVerde

Banned
I.. want.. to .. try.

The dev kits could use fightsticks from X360, I won't use frezone.blablabla, I just.. *sigh*

I don't plan to ever own an Xbox One, but this is awful. Tweeting and posting it to my Facebook feed with a warning now. No one should be victimized by this, even if it is caused in part by the victims' own ignorance. Not everyone is tech-savvy enough to know their way around shit like this, and not everyone should have to be.

Shame on Microsoft for even making this possible for users to do on retail Xbox Ones, though. Hopefully a future firmware update will fix that.

erawsd

I want to know your organization's rationale for leaving such a dangerous developer menu so easily accessible in retail consoles.

The reason is because any Xbox can serve as a dev kit, which is a pretty cool feature for indies. I do agree there should be better safe guards.

Iacobellis

What's this thread for again?

Microsoft should have not left this portion of the OS included in retail boxes until ID@Xbox is ready to go.

Megasoum

Banned
What's this thread for again?

Microsoft should have not left this portion of the OS included in retail boxes until ID@Xbox is ready to go.

The reason it's like that right now is because that's how all the devkits have been working since the beginning.

L.O.R.D

kotaku just posted it

http://kotaku.com/dont-fall-for-thi...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

BZ9a9EoCIAAX_os.jpg

Cabal

Will MS help anyone who was silly enough to do this? I mean is there any steps to fix this besides sending your console off to MS?

I just wonder if this would be under warranty because of the dev menu being used. My guess is this would be treated just like tampering with the insides.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How would anyone know something like this? I wonder if a developer or someone at MS put this out there. Seems crazy anyone would run into that by accident.

Well, that bumper code is close to the "Clear system cache"/removing game patches on the 360 one. Not far of a stretch to know it enables dev/console mode on the 720. Then it's a matter of coding knowledge/system knowledge to know the code of "freezone" being some sort-of "sudo" command for the 720 to override prompts or something to ".reboot," obviously reboot the console in an endless loop.

I think Microsoft's intentions of having everybox be a dev kit will bite them in the ass because some people simply do not have the ability to read up on the commands and stuff they are going to do in that mode.

the "code" actually works but it will brick your console unless you have a dev id from MS to put in. they haven't started releasing them yet.

http://gamerant.com/xbox-one-dev-kit-microsoft-warning/

Ah, that explains it. But why not have the system refuse to change modes if you don't have a dev id? Give an error message saying you can't do that instead of outright bricking?

CCIE

Banned
Actually, I believe anyone gullible enough to try this deserves what they get. Sometimes, you just have to weed out the morons or society cannot thrive.

Biker19

Banned
No, you're making this up, no company is that STUPID.

Um, knowingly having faulty hardware with the 360 (RROD) & shipping out the console? Charging people $60 a year to access apps & TV features where they can be accessed everywhere else for free, including on Wii, Wii U, PS3, & PS4?

This is Microsoft we're talking about here.

Top Bottom