• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive international prices leaked (899€ / £689)

PnCIa

899€???
Okay then. Maybe there is another explanation other than ripping off customers?

/edit...oh yes, VAT :(

We get a 50$ USD surtax on the american price? lol

Yeah, not buying the vive.

edit: That's probably cause they think the exchange rate will go down vs USD.

KKRT00

Thats crazy and for Polish people its even crazier...

3930 PLN = 899€

3003 PLN = Average Salary (Netto) in Poland in 2015

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Looks like Pie and Beans has got to turn tricks again :(

Hoo-doo

Banned
Lol, good luck with that kind of pricing, dudes. I really can't imagine a lot of people are willing to gamble away nearly a grand on a first-gen peripheral which future is yet unsure and unproven.

Catch me in a year or two buying the actually good headsets for half price. Not worth jumping in on day one.

Nzyme32

899€???
Okay then. Maybe there is another explanation other than ripping off customers?

The difference between the Euro price for the Vive vs the US price and the Oculus Rift in Euro vs US price, actually shows that you are more "ripped off" with the Oculus Rift, with almost double the excess cost vs Vive. It's sad that sales tax is lost on some people, and the buffer applied to products to counteract changes in currency value.

As I mentioned earlier in the space of time since the £689 was rumoured when Vive pricing was announced, the UK price has gone from £16 in excess, to £4 cheaper including the added tax after conversion. If you look at any products out there, this is commonplace.

Makareu

I am not sure about the euro price outrage. As already stated, once factored the 20% VAT, it is pretty much the expected price.
799$ * 1.2 = 959$ -> 876€

Melon Husk

The difference between the Euro price for the Vive vs the US price and the Oculus Rift in Euro vs US price, actually shows that you are more "ripped off" with the Oculus Rift, with almost double the excess cost vs Vive. It's sad that sales tax is lost on some people, and the buffer applied to products to counteract changes in currency value.

As I mentioned earlier in the space of time since the £689 was rumoured when Vive pricing was announced, the UK price has gone from £16 in excess, to £4 cheaper including the added tax after conversion. If you look at any products out there, this is commonplace.

Shipping costs are unmentioned. This deal is more fair than Rift's if it's free.

artsi

I am not sure about the euro price outrage. As already stated, once factored the 20% VAT, it is pretty much the expected price.
799$ * 1.2 = 959$ -> 876€

And the tax could be even 23% or 24%, it all depends on the country where they ship from to other EU countries.

$799 * 1.23 = $982.77 = 899€

Oculus ships from Ireland and the VAT is 23%.

Are people in here oblivious to VAT or something? 900€ was what a lot of people predicted. And this includes people the US price announcement thread. And now everyone's surprised again...

$799 is 730.88€. *20% (the general value, but can be 23 or 24 depending on country) is 877.056€. For which they took an excess of 21.944€ to round it up to 899, or I guess they're including the maximum amount of VAT in that. It's shitty, but not surprising. Is shipping included or not or it's free, that's a good question.

iNvid02

expected

considering how much more it could have been e.g. if they were shipping from the US, being in line with comparably priced products isnt bad

Nzyme32

Thats crazy and for Polish people its even crazier...

3930 PLN = 899€

3003 PLN = Average Salary (Netto) in Poland in 2015

This is something I have always been annoyed buy. It would be great to support countries based on their own local value, however the ability to import / trade physical products means that companies are more willing to protect their pricing by currency rather than value, out of fear the market will exploit that regions price.

Since you can't do that easily with digital products like games, it was great to see companies like Valve attempt to follow a pricing structure for those regions suiting the local value of commodities. Sadly that barely works since people still exploit regional pricing over their own, so those guys either get the price hiked, no release at all, or are forced with region locking and other restrictions.

God damn I hate how this stuff works

Also remember Italy Spain Portugal have higher than 20% VAT.

Italy
$800=731euro + 22% VAT = 891.92 euro, just 8 euros off. Spain is 21% VAT so its around 16 euro roundup which isn't a lot. Some other EU countries are even higher.

Lol, good luck with that kind of pricing, dudes. I really can't imagine a lot of people are willing to gamble away nearly a grand on a first-gen peripheral which future is yet unsure and unproven.

Catch me in a year or two buying the actually good headsets for half price. Not worth jumping in on day one.

Agreed. I hope early adopters get their money's worth but 1st gen VR is just out of reach for me.

UrbanRats

More or less expected, but probably too much to justify buying a first gen device, in my case.

We'll see how much the PSVR is.

Nzyme32

Also remember Italy Spain Portugal have higher than 20% VAT.

Italy
$800=731euro + 22% VAT = 891.92 euro, just 8 euros off. Spain is 21% VAT so its around 16 euro roundup which isn't a lot. Some other EU countries are even higher.

Oh damn. Is that a recent change? I thought it was pretty much 19-20%. Not sure how Oculus is charging almost double in excess as a buffer vs Vive. Figured it would be the other way around with HTC since they have reasoning to go after the profit margins.

Indeed.

Think I'm gonna be one of the few people here that is actually pleasantly surprised.
Still out my price zone though lol.

Also pleasantly surprised, and way out of my price range and priorities right now. Second gen is more likely for me, or if I happen to run into a lot of time and throwing around money

artsi

Oh damn. Is that a recent change? I thought it was pretty much 19-20%. Not sure how Oculus is charging almost double in excess as a buffer vs Vive. Figured it would be the other way around with HTC since they have reasoning to go after the profit margins.

Not too long time ago VAT was 22% here in Finland, then it was 23% and now it's 24%.

The economy is pushing countries to raise it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Not too long time ago VAT was 22% here in Finland, then it was 23% and now it's 24%.

The economy is pushing countries to raise it.

Ah fuck it - round up to 25%, will make the math easier.

(Might sound silly but I was a little relieved when the UK went from 17.5% to 20% for the same reason)

Yes, Italy gone up in the last 3-4 years

Dr Dogg

Nah it's been like it for decades (as in while we were happy with 17.5% for a long long time the rest of Europe had much higher VAT rates). Plus combine that with different countries have exemptions and some different brackets for specific goods and you get situations where Amazon base all their invoicing from Luxemborg thanks to lower VAT rates than the rest of Europe. Though that all changed with the introduction of VAT MOSS at the start of the year where no it's the purchasing countries VAT band, rather than the invoicing one, that sets the rate at which it is to be paid. Speaking of Amazon they used to have a breakdown of how much VAT you'd pay on goods for your country. Somewhere like Hungary I think goes up to 28%.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

You don't try and make profit from any exchange rate buffering. You're just hedging against volatility. The profit is in the original price.

I'd guess HTC are better placed to understand the various markets they sell into from their phone units, and so should have a good handle on what exchange rates are likely to do. That may allow them to have a more narrow buffer

Nzyme32

You don't try and make profit from any exchange rate buffering. You're just hedging against volatility. The profit is in the original price.

I'd guess HTC are better placed to understand the various markets they sell into from their phone units, and so should have a good handle on what exchange rates are likely to do. That may allow them to have a more narrow buffer

I've always assumed that the hike in prices towards Australians (which to my knowledge is often above included tax) was part of scraping a bit of profit that many collectively engaged in. A horrifying favourite being Adobe's "Creative Cloud" which the CEO hilariously and infuriatingly couldn't reasonably argue regarding excess pricing.

Nah it's been like it for decades (as in while we were happy with 17.5% for a long long time the rest of Europe had much higher VAT rates). Plus combine that with different countries have exemptions and some different brackets for specific goods and you get situations where Amazon base all their invoicing from Luxemborg thanks to lower VAT rates than the rest of Europe. Though that all changed with the introduction of VAT MOSS at the start of the year where no it's the purchasing countries VAT band, rather than the invoicing one, that sets the rate at which it is to be paid. Speaking of Amazon they used to have a breakdown of how much VAT you'd pay on goods for your country. Somewhere like Hungary I think goes up to 28%.

Ah damn, forgot about VAT MOSS too. Totally lost track of what happened in other countries.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've always assumed that the hike in prices towards Australians (which to my knowledge is often above included tax) was part of scraping a bit of profit that many collectively engaged in. A horrifying favourite being Adobe's "Creative Cloud" which the CEO hilariously and infuriatingly couldn't reasonably argue regarding excess pricing.

Ah damn, forgot about VAT MOSS too. Totally lost track of what happened in other countries.

My guess there is that you can get away with charging the Aussies more. Isolated island, probably used to paying more for stuff generally?

Top Bottom