• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive international prices leaked (899€ / £689)

HTC to Canada be all

giphy.gif

More that average monthly salary here :D

Then again if you need like 20 m^2 room to use it then price will be smallest of Vive problems ;)

Animator

I think I will sit VR out this year. It's not even a money thing at this point I can easily afford it but I know for a fact it is going to be cool for a week and then it will collect dust because I am not big into sims and there is hardly anything coming out this first year that doesn't look like a phone game from 2009.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think I will sit VR out this year. It's not even a money thing at this point I can easily afford it but I know for a fact it is going to be cool for a week and then it will collect dust because I am not big into sims and there is hardly anything coming out this first year that doesn't look like a phone game from 2009.

Wow.

I would like to say I don't see what's going on with the euro prices being numerically bigger than dollar prices now that the exchange rate for the two is somewhat smaller, but first I have to ask one simple question. Isn't it like EU prices include VAT and US ones don't include sales tax?

(I'm pretty sure someone told me once that some EU countries don't enforce showing VAT until you're billed, but this has never happened to me when traveling, so...)

I would like to say I don't see what's going on with the euro prices being numerically bigger than dollar prices now that the exchange rate for the two is somewhat smaller, but first I have to ask one simple question. Isn't it like EU prices include VAT and US ones don't include sales tax?

(I'm pretty sure someone told me once that some EU countries don't enforce showing VAT until you're billed, but this has never happened to me when traveling, so...)

The picture in the OP literally says the prices below US and Canada include VAT while US and Canada don't lol

El Topo

Expected price. Euro is weak. Conversion seems slightly more in our (i.e. Eurozone) favor than the one for Oculus Rift.

Melon Husk

Rationalization to the MAX! Your defense mechanisms are showing, you're overdoing it..

edit: ack - no - remembering my psych 101 wrong, excuse me.

Akai__

Seriously though, all those prices seem fair based on exchange rates

899€ are currently 982,7868 US$. Not sure how that is fair based on exchange rates?

If anything, that is probably fair based on shipping cost, taxes and other things, but solely on echange rates? Nah.

DieH@rd

Banned
That is so expensive... that for me it makes it as if this device does not exist. I will simply cannot purchase it [and that's even if I had fully ready PC for VR, which I dont].

Maybe next decade.

They could obviously cut the price by 50€ on their end to keep it down at least a little bit. Arguing with VAT is fine and all, but come on. 900 is just ridiculous.

Dead on arrival. Feel bad for the OP getting ridiculed for that thread. He was right.

Pretty much. 900€ is a tough one, even for enthusiasts. If PSVR hits the market at a reasonable price, I can see the Vive losing support very quickly.

What I wonder though is from where they are shipping.
If they ship from each country, the shipping fees shouldnt be high.

Btw. why is it so cheap in Taiwan??? 765€.

What will the euro price be for the oculus rift?

If I think how expensive phones are today, the price can even seem reasonable, but this is certainly impossible to be marketed to the masses. Right now the only reason I could justify spending this kind of money would be if I'd be able to use it professionally too for architecture design which seems like it will be a big thing very soon.

DavidDesu

Expensive. I just want to know how many people think PCVR offers a justifiably higher quality of VR over PSVR when you look at these prices, and factoring in the cost of the PC/PS4 in the mix? I'm not sure it really does.

If you have a spare room to set up as your VR cave fair enough, but that will be a niche experience with a limited amount of software taking advantage of it.

EDIT: If you have the money great! I'd buy one too if I had the cash. I don't but I don't think I'll be hugely missing out on VR with the other options I have.

Melon Husk

What, you think there'll be a ton of software to choose from when it comes to room-scale VR in the first year? I doubt it. Sit-down VR will still dominate the software market, most likely.

They will dominate the Oculus store for sure. On the contrary Vive will have more experimental gameplay. With this high entry costs the market is so niche I don't see any particular title dominating over the rest. It's a whole new platform, so it would be odd to say that software like Tilt Brush, NASA's virtual experiences or Lucky's Tale will be comparable to each other.

I for one want to walk around in VR and look for the platform that will offer the broadest spectrum of experiences.

Nzyme32

Expensive. I just want to know how many people think PCVR offers a justifiably higher quality of VR over PSVR when you look at these prices, and factoring in the cost of the PC/PS4 in the mix? I'm not sure it really does.

If you have a spare room to set up as your VR cave fair enough, but that will be a niche experience with a limited amount of software taking advantage of it.

Put simply, they are not designed to be a "mass market" multi million selling device out of the gate. They don't need to be. They went for the highest quality experience and longevity for that PC ecosystem and that will drive prices for the tech down as production scales to demand and pricing can come down, as well as the lowered price of PC hardware / increased power over time. This will also be crucial for many other uses outside the gaming industry and general consumer use. Iteration will be fast with PCs and chances are there will be more headsets for different audiences or utilising different tech and driving the industry towards different ideas.

PSVR is likely to have a different outlook for a different type of customer and the hardware available. Meanwhile mobile VR is the real "for the masses" pathway with high rate of iteration.

Sanctuary

It was already one thing to consider $499 or $599 with no "must play" games for the first few years, but $799? Lol. I will wait the five to ten years from now that it will take for VR games to actually be worth the investment. For that to happen, they need to figure out the problems with actually moving from place to place that isn't teleporting.

They went for the highest quality experience and longevity for that PC ecosystem and that will drive prices for the tech down as production scales to demand and pricing can come down, as well as the lowered price of PC hardware / increased power over time. This will also be crucial for many other uses outside the gaming industry and general consumer use. Iteration will be fast with PCs and chances are there will be more headsets for different audiences or utilising different tech and driving the industry towards different ideas.

Maybe, but then 2-3 years after launch, the second iteration will have appeared and will most likely be equal, if not superior to the original, and most likely slightly cheaper as well.

Nzyme32

It was already one thing to consider $499 or $599 with no "must play" games for the first few years, but $799? Lol. I will wait the five to ten years from now that it will take for VR games to actually be worth the investment. For that to happen, they need to figure out the problems with actually moving from place to place that isn't teleporting.

How would you even know what a "must play" VR game is? No one knows. The medium is so utterly different to traditional gaming that the game types and ideas that work best are not known yet. When even a small amount of people start to use them regularly, it might become more clear. I can attest that Job Simulator, as plain and boring as it may sound, is something wonderfully amazing as an experience, that I wouldn't remotely class as a novelty. Of course I'd want to see what else is in the game, but even the small sample I had was enough to show how great these games can be. Looks are definitely not what makes a great VR game or a "must have"

Maybe, but then 2-3 years after launch, the second iteration will have appeared and will most likely be equal, if not superior to the original, and most likely slightly cheaper as well.

I'm almost certain there will be a second generation in 2-3 years, with significant leaps forward in tech. The price for that first generation will be significantly lower at that point, and while "out dated" will still remain functional and useful against other competing headsets. Meanwhile, something like OSVR may not.

Sky Chief

I'm already planning on upgrading HMDs and GPUs every year for at least the first 3 or 4 and probably well after that. There's just so much more that can be added, most importantly higher resolution.

I mean I'm still buying 1-2 new smartphones every year and they're still making massive improvements to those and those are even more expensive than HMDs.

I'm almost certain there will be a second generation in 2-3 years, with significant leaps forward in tech. The price for that first generation will be significantly lower at that point, and while "out dated" will still remain functional and useful against other competing headsets. Meanwhile, something like OSVR may not.

My guess is that for at least the first 3-4 years there will be generational leaps that are worth an upgrade annually. This is really new tech.

I've already preordered the Rift, will order the Vive on Monday, and Oculus Touch as soon as its available. This is just the very tip of the iceberg.

spannicus

I'm already planning on upgrading HMDs and GPUs every year for at least the first 3 or 4 and probably well after that. There's just so much more that can be added, most importantly higher resolution.

I mean I'm still buying 1-2 new smartphones every year and they're still making massive improvements to those and those are even more expensive than HMDs.
G5 playa!

EVIL

It's 742€ including shipping.

I guess because it's manufactured there. No taxes, customs or shipping to pay.

Is that including import tax? Because I don't think it is. Our customs (netherlands) will slap another 20% off the total value ontop in import tax.

I expect the HTC vive to use its regional distribution capabilities to circumvent those taxes somehow, like shipping within Europe instead of from the US like oculus.

Nzyme32

My guess is that for at least the first 3-4 years there will be generational leaps that are worth an upgrade annually. This is really new tech.

I've already preordered the Rift, will order the Vive on Monday, and Oculus Touch as soon as its available. This is just the very tip of the iceberg.

Seems likely. I also don't expect Oculus and HTC to be the only players involved in bringing headset leaps forward. I wish I could order a Vive, but for now I will have to sit out and prioritise other things. Second gen is probably where I dive in

artsi

Is that including import tax? Because I don't think it is. Our customs (netherlands) will slap another 20% off the total value ontop in import tax.

I expect the HTC vive to use its regional distribution capabilities to circumvent those taxes somehow, like shipping within Europe instead of from the US like oculus.

Yes, it includes VAT. They ship from Ireland so we in EU don't have to pay anything after that 742€.

Gabe outsourced most of the risk to HTC. Valve will be fine even in the worst case scenario.

I've been saying it for a while but I don't think Valve really is in the game to sell HMD's.

They're pushing Vive now to push SteamVR, but sooner or later Facebook / Oculus (with their vast amount of capital) is bound to get the upper hand in the hardware market.
Facebook clearly wants to dominate and really, how can you win Facebook unless you're Apple or Google?

On the mobile side they're also partnered with Samsung who is 100 times the size of HTC, and they're pushing Oculus branded Gear VR already to millions. The "mainstream" can already go to their nearest phone retailer and get one.
Can Valve or HTC expect to compete with that? I doubt it.

So I would bet that Valve is already preparing for the loss on the hardware front and all this is just to keep their current foothold in software sales. That's why they're so focused in supporting the Rift with both Steam and SteamVR.

Top Bottom