• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive is $799, ships early April 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fucking couldn't help myself

afaafaejou2.jpg

Here we go!

Uggh

I was considering ordering it, but the tax just kills it for me.

undecided

Are the fraud warnings coming from people using debit cards?

That amount doesn't seem like a big deal for credit cards, so I would not have expected to have an issue.

Riptwo

That amount doesn't seem like a big deal for credit cards, so I would not have expected to have an issue.
Happened to a friend in Canada with a VISA card, so I'm not sure exactly what's triggering the issue.

Hawk269

I have a Rift on preorder but I was late and I probably wont be able to get mine till June or so. A buddy of mine has the Vive and he thinks he will be charged any day now for his. He is having some financial trouble and said that if I wanted to buy his Vive off of him, he would not charge me more than what he paid. In short, he will have the Vive charged to his card and when the bill comes in I will pay it and he will give me the Vive.

However, I have not followed the Vive as much as I have the Rift. So I hope some of you that have been following it a lot more than me can answer some stuff:

I have the physical room to set the Vive up, but I am more of a sit down kind of gamer. As with other tech that had you up and about the novelty of moving around while playing a long game or such wore thin. How is the Vive and the some of the better games for a seated experience versus up and about? Is it designed to primarily be a up and about experience?

I appreciate any feedback as my time frame to give this a yes/no is probably in the next 48 hours or so.

Thanks!

Zalusithix

I've had far smaller values trigger fraud protection. It's not just a matter of how expensive something is, but also whether it fits into what they detect as a norm for you, and bunch of other black box level stuff.

I was on the submit order page, and then I just stared at the total price and thought fuck that's a lot of money.

I was thinking

"Well, of course I would have to pay for shipping. I'll bite the bullet and pay the extra $30."

Then I get to the confirmation page and see the tax.

"...Fuck"

Totally snapped me out of buying the Vive. I really want one, but spending almost a thousand dollars on it made me feel woozy.

Monger

I have a Rift on preorder but I was late and I probably wont be able to get mine till June or so. A buddy of mine has the Vive and he thinks he will be charged any day now for his. He is having some financial trouble and said that if I wanted to buy his Vive off of him, he would not charge me more than what he paid. In short, he will have the Vive charged to his card and when the bill comes in I will pay it and he will give me the Vive.

However, I have not followed the Vive as much as I have the Rift. So I hope some of you that have been following it a lot more than me can answer some stuff:

I have the physical room to set the Vive up, but I am more of a sit down kind of gamer. As with other tech that had you up and about the novelty of moving around while playing a long game or such wore thin. How is the Vive and the some of the better games for a seated experience versus up and about? Is it designed to primarily be a up and about experience?

I appreciate any feedback as my time frame to give this a yes/no is probably in the next 48 hours or so.

Thanks!

It's really just up to developers and what they want to make. The headset itself is perfectly capable of either.

MilShap

Couldn't hold out any longer, got May (probably end of) shipping date.

Gonna try to use some spare boom mic stands i have with tripod mount adapters for the lighthouses.

Tested the height with an item of similar weight and they seem steady. Maybe an option for some out there who can't or don't want to damage their walls.

Compsiox

Banned
Couldn't hold out any longer, got May (probably end of) shipping date.

Gonna try to use some spare boom mic stands i have with tripod mount adapters for the lighthouses.

Tested the height with an item of similar weight and they seem steady. Maybe an option for some out there who can't or don't want to damage their walls.

If they have them already yes but I think the support rods and pipe grips work best.

viveks86

I think I'm gonna start with 3M tapes before considering a mounting solution. These support rods would seriously ruin my living room aesthetic. And I don't have space in any corner for a tripod setup... Sigh.

Compsiox

Banned
I think I'm gonna start with 3M tapes before considering a mounting solution. These support rods would seriously ruin my living room aesthetic. And I don't have space in any corner for a tripod setup... Sigh.

Best of luck man. I really hope it lasts and doesn't fall. Be sure to keep pillows under them just in case.

Qassim

Also got charged here in the UK, Barclaycard didn't block it (I called up and ask for a note to be put on my account for the Rift and Vive, though I dunno if that made any difference). For what it's worth, I never received a "It's in the works!" / processing email, so if you didn't too, then I wouldn't worry about it. I completed my order :02 minutes past.

I was almost certain Barclaycard would block it - they've blocked my payments for GPUs and Phones before (last one being a Nexus 6P pre-order, but thankfully Google has a web facility on the Google store that you click to make them retry the payment, so didn't change my shipping) and they weren't as expensive as this.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oh shit - woke up this morning to a text from my bank asking to confirm transactions, including £750 to digital river. I confirmed and it then said 'you can retry any failed transactions'. Need to check if they blocked my bloody vive. Is there a contact number for digital river in uk/Europe?

Bloody stupid because only a coupledom months ago I bought a surface pro 4 from MS store which is handled by digital river, and that was more expensive and went through fine

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Best of luck man. I really hope it lasts and doesn't fall. Be sure to keep pillows under them just in case.

Well the command tape is rated to hold several kilos (depending which you get) so it should be ok - how heavy are the lighthouses?

Do the retail kits still come with shelf stands? The official vive setup video only showed wall mounts

Arulan

The problem with command tape isn't so much the weight but that the Lighthouse units vibrate, and will likely cause them to loosen over time.

viveks86

Well the command tape is rated to hold several kilos (depending which you get) so it should be ok - how heavy are the lighthouses?

Do the retail kits still come with shelf stands? The official vive setup video only showed wall mounts

320 grams. They only come with mounts.

So i got charged on Wednesday and my shipping notification came through yesterday, it says it should be here by the 8th. I'm hoping it gets here a day or two earlier though lol.

Durante

I received a second "It's in the works!" email today, this time in German though.

I'd rather get a tracking number, but hey it's something!

I watched that Realities.io video last night on Tribal Instincts YouTube channel, he actually seemed completely blown away by it. On the face of it it looks very simple, the immersion must be pretty incredible.

Woke up this morning to find my credit card has been charged \(^o^)/ (uk)

It means it should arrive on April 5th.
Timing couldn't be worse though. I go on holiday with the family for 1 week on April 4th......

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Woke up to another processing e-mail from HTC, this time in German. I guess it's not again the general one going out for everybody no matter what wave? Maybe shipping is indeed happening today. I can feel the emotion already.

Metal B

Woke up to another processing e-mail from HTC, this time in German. I guess it's not again the general one going out for everybody no matter what wave? Maybe shipping is indeed happening today. I can feel the emotion already.
I also got one today (showing the inside of the package), but it is the only one, i got yet. I guess, mine will still arrive in May.

catabarez

I want to get one of these but I really need to try it out first to see if I get any sort of motion sickness from it. I'm hoping they do another of those tours.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That Minecraft mod looks good. In the end it seems that teleporting is the most efficient locomotion method for traditional games.

I also got one today (showing the inside of the package), but it is the only one, i got yet. I guess, mine will still arrive in May.

Ok, so maybe it's again a general one.

Joejoe123

Neo Member
I got charged yesterday morning (USA, Wa State), so I'm hoping I get a shipping notification today! It's pretty exciting, I can't wait to try room-scale for myself.

Mikeside

I hadn't seen a charge with my bank yet, so checked with HTC Vive livechat:

(UK, btw)

Patryk:10:48 AM
i will check your order

Me:
Thank you

Patryk:10:50 AM
no, you are not charged yet

Me:
I'm within the first wave, though, right?

Me:
because I ordered within a minute of pre-orders going live.

Patryk:10:50 AM
but if you do not got info from your bank, it is ok

Patryk:10:51 AM
money could be withdrawn even on the day of shipment

Me:
OK, can you please confirm when it'll ship?

yes, you are in the first wave

shipment begins April 5th

Me:
oh, I thought it was confirmed that the first batch would be out for delivery on 5th?

Me:
Are you able to confirm this just so I know exactly what the situation is?

Patryk:10:54 AM
no, shipment begins on April 5th

Patryk:10:54 AM
you will receive your device couple days after

Me:
OK - what courier will be used?

Patryk:10:55 AM
dhl

Me:
Great - thanks for the information.

bj00rn_

Banned
HTC succesfully froze the money for the Vive on my account now.. (Norway) But I guess that happens for all first wave orders right now?

Mikeside

Checked again just now, totally different story!

Me:
Hi, my order is Order #xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Me:
could you please confirm when payment will be taken and when shipping starts?

Me:
I've seen confirmation that other regions are already shipping today

Eman:11:17 AM
from what I can see that the payment went through successfully and you should receive the delivery email within the next couple of days

Me:
that's great, thanks - are you able to check 100% on the shipping situation?

Me:
I need to ensure I'll be available on the day it gets delivered

Me:
and I've heard many different things about shipping

Me:
some saying it'll arrive on the 5th, some saying it won't ship until the 5th and some saying it may arrive even earlier

Eman:11:20 AM
Well we don't have confirmation about the shipment

Eman:11:20 AM
we will receive an email regarding the shipment shortly

Me:
Ahh OK - what's the best way for me to stay informed about it?

Eman:11:21 AM
Ys

Eman:11:21 AM
Yes

Me:
Sorry, what's the best way?

Eman:11:22 AM
email

Me:
So you'll email me as soon as you know when it will ship?

Eman:11:23 AM
Exactly

Me:
OK great, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom