• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huge Nintendo Switch exploit (potential hack) found on firmware 3.0.0

NeOak

Welp, seems the local GS has a Neon Switch in stock.

Gonna keep my launch grey as the regular console I think and have the neon as the homebrew one.

AzaK

This would be awesome for one thing....a Steam stream API client. Then I could play all my Steam games anywhere in my house. That would be holy.

Neith

Banned
Ugh, way too early in the consoles lifecycle for my liking. As if third parties need another excuse.

Ehh you literally have to be against all modern gaming on Switch to do this, or you have to have another Switch with just 3.0 on it. No one in their right minds is just going to do this with their main Switch and never upgrade to new firmware lol.

Comet

Got home and checked and sure enough my Switch had the auto update sitting there waiting to be applied. Here's what I did, I rebooted the system and held down the volume buttons to force recovery boot mode. Then I chose to reinitialize the console saving my game saves and when I rebooted the update was gone and it showed 3.0.0. Also my game saves were deleted anyway.... rip 100 hour session of Breath of the Wild

gaiadyne

Got home and checked and sure enough my Switch had the auto update sitting there waiting to be applied. Here's what I did, I rebooted the system and held down the volume buttons to force recovery boot mode. Then I chose to reinitialize the console saving my game saves and when I rebooted the update was gone and it showed 3.0.0. Also my game saves were deleted anyway.... rip 100 hour session of Breath of the Wild

Ouch, Cloud Saves can't come quick enough

BigEmil

Worth it

JDdelphin

Ehh you literally have to be against all modern gaming on Switch to do this, or you have to have another Switch with just 3.0 on it. No one in their right minds is just going to do this with their main Switch and never upgrade to new firmware lol.

Uh...

Well... glad it worked? Enjoy?

There's going to be a in home streaming app coming to the eShop this year for this exact purpose

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/06/rainway_developer_shows_app_in_action_on_nintendo_switch

Nier Automata on Switch
https://twitter.com/Andrewmd5/status/880806319095242752

Yep, with how open Nintendo seems to be about switch official software, it's hard not to take this news as piracy and.... Piracy and..... Piracy, but also...............

You can't even use the excuses of "but region protected software" or "but I don't want to keep a bunch of carts around" like 3ds.

There is almost no reason for switch hacking but piracy.

Yep, with how open Nintendo seems to be about switch official software, it's hard not to take this news as piracy and.... Piracy and..... Piracy, but also...............

You can't even use the excuses of "but region protected software" or "but I don't want to keep a bunch of carts around" like 3ds.

There is almost no reason for switch hacking but piracy.

I've been wondering something... You know how people always say "I own a real physical/digital copy of the game so getting a hacked version or whatever for personal use is fine"? (Like, I own Melee but I have 20XX). Are there laws that actually say that's OK or is it just people making themselves feel better? lol

I've been wondering something... You know how people always say "I own a real physical/digital copy of the game so getting a hacked version or whatever for personal use is fine"? (Like, I own Melee but I have 20XX). Are there laws that actually say that's OK or is it just people making themselves feel better? lol

No, but technically you paid your money to that company and modifying the software you purchased shouldn't be illegal except for laws held up by the companies themselves.

The strict answer is no, but some people feel better buying the product and supporting the creators. Some don't care.

D.Lo

The Switch will force updates for software regardless, and there's no stopping that unless you don't want to use your software.

It'll patch from the cart. Everything going forward will force 3.0.1 or it just won't run.

The security on the Switch is considerably more robust than what was on the 3DS, so don't expect the same behavior.
Good to hear.

I hacked the 3DS and Wii U for region free, but there is no reason to do so with the Switch apart from piracy so I have zero interest in it.

qko

This would be awesome for one thing....a Steam stream API client. Then I could play all my Steam games anywhere in my house. That would be holy.

From my understanding, Rainway is supposed to do that and they are supposedly developing on the Switch.

Drain You

all they had to do is put up some dope virtual console titles during the launch

Seriously though. They really should have launched with like 2 first party Nes, Snes, N64, and Gamecube games. 3rd party publishers could have jumped onboard if they would have liked, and it would have left Nintendo with enough back catalog to trickle down to us over time.

KyleCross

While this is cool for the homebrew it could be years before something is made of this exploit, in the mean time you miss out on all the new Switch games unless you buy another one.
Is it possible to downgrade to 3.0.0? I'm guessing it's not.
System has downgrade fuses to prevent downgrading on a hardware level.

Spy

Seriously though. They really should have launched with like 2 first party Nes, Snes, N64, and Gamecube games. 3rd party publishers could have jumped onboard if they would have liked, and it would have left Nintendo with enough back catalog to trickle down to us over time.
First they wanted to sell us the NES Classic Mini. Perhaps after we buy the SNES (and N64) Classic Mini we'll be able to purchase the NES virtual console titles they plan to slowly trickle out over the next few years.

J@hranimo

Banned
So like what are people doing with this exploit? Or can someone point me to the direction of this.

It sounds cool and all but when I don't see any results it's hard to be interested.

Drain You

System has downgrade fuses to prevent downgrading on a hardware level.

This is interesting and something I've never heard about, anywhere you can point me where I could read up on it?

First they wanted to sell us the NES Classic Mini. Perhaps after we buy the SNES (and N64) Classic Mini we'll be able to purchase the NES virtual console titles they plan to slowly trickle out over the next few years.

Sadly I think you are correct.

Griss

I've enjoyed homebrew features on my DS, 3DS, Wii and Wii U, but still, I do hope that this doesn't come to fruition for at least another year. We don't want anything scaring publishers off - this moment, when the Switch is surprising everyone with the scale of its success, is exactly when publishers will be planning on how to support it over the next 2-3 years.

But on the other hand, if it leads to Nintendo getting their finger out when it comes to the virtual console... fire away.

Piracy, awesome. It never was going to take very long for this to get exploited, being android-ish based.

Didn't the last Nintendo homebrew thread end with a ModBot warning people who equated piracy with homebrew? ;:^)

Anyways, it'd be funny if the homebrew emulators turned out to be way better than Nintendo's eventual VC ones. It's not unprecedented, but it'd still be worth a chuckle or two.

night814

Vena is my favorite poster.

People saying they won't update are crazy, if this exploit was found just a few months ago Homebrew is likely years away like it was for the last few Nintendo systems. Give it some time and installing cfw and Homebrew on your switch will most likely not be very difficult.

KyleCross

I always feel like the people who downplay Homebrew and just jump on the "Bull, it's only for piracy!" train have no idea how many awesome things Homebrew has given us. Christ sake, it even sometimes exposes the platform makers shady bullshit and gives us features we should have. My favorite is the revelation that all PlayStation 3's have software PS2 backwards compatibility, something Sony "removed." They just turned it off and started selling PS2 Classics which were just a PS2 ISO inside a wrapper that tells the PS3 to "turn on the software backwards compatibility for this." Homebrewers were able to reverse this and restore the software PS2 backwards compatibility that works on the majority of the PS2 library.

EraErr0r1

Somewhere under the depths of Kyoto, a katana is unsheathed

This made me laugh far more than it should have!

Somewhat on topic though; my enthusiasm for the homebrew scene will never eclipse what it was during the Wii era. Particularly with the ability to rip my entire library of disc based games onto a single USB hard drive and play them off that, completely region free.

With the downloadable era truly apon us, the only welcome feature to entice me these days would be emulation, but even now I already have an abundance of machines capable of that.

What features are people excited for in the homebrew scene today on Switch other than
piracy
and emulation?

Edit:

My favorite is the revelation that all PlayStation 3's have software PS2 backwards compatibility, something Sony "removed."

Wow that is amazing, I did not know this! There's no denying the benefits of data mining, that's for sure!

KyleCross

What features are people excited for in the homebrew scene today on Switch other than
piracy
and emulation?

One interesting thing that Homebrew could possibly do, tho I don't know how possible it would be for them, is allowing you to switch between Docked and Undocked modes without actually docking and undocking. So potentially playing the beefed up TV mode version in handheld mode.

BigEmil

This made me laugh far more than it should have!

Somewhat on topic though; my enthusiasm for the homebrew scene will never eclipse what it was during the Wii era. Particularly with the ability to rip my entire library of disc based games onto a single USB hard drive and play them off that, completely region free.

With the downloadable era truly apon us, the only welcome feature to entice me these days would be emulation, but even now I already have an abundance of machines capable of that.

piracy
and emulation?
Look up all the cool stuff you can do with Homebrew on 3DS, New 3DS, Vita, PSP etc.
With Switch homebrew will be even more awesome
There's no need to evoke the boogeyman of piracy here.

That's not really what this is for, and the Switch isn't so poorly put together that it cannot shutdown old firmware from playing new software. New software will not run on "bad" firmware, that means anything not 3.0.1 or more.

That's not getting fixed because of "homebrew finds a way" unless someone cracks the newer firmwares, which is a completely different discussion for something that does not currently exist.

Those fuses aren't in there just for shits and giggles.
Exactly its the same people saying the same stuff over and over again in every thread having to do with Switch hacking scene just keeps derailing

Vena

There's no need to evoke the boogeyman of piracy here.

That's not really what this is for, and the Switch isn't so poorly put together that it cannot shutdown old firmware from playing new software. New software will not run on "bad" firmware, that means anything not 3.0.1 or more.

That's not getting fixed because of "homebrew finds a way" unless someone cracks the newer firmwares, which is a completely different discussion for something that does not currently exist.

Those fuses aren't in there just for shits and giggles.

I always feel like the people who downplay Homebrew and just jump on the "Bull, it's only for piracy!" train have no idea how many awesome things Homebrew has given us. Christ sake, it even sometimes exposes the platform makers shady bullshit and gives us features we should have. My favorite is the revelation that all PlayStation 3's have software PS2 backwards compatibility, something Sony "removed." They just turned it off and started selling PS2 Classics which were just a PS2 ISO inside a wrapper that tells the PS3 to "turn on the software backwards compatibility for this." Homebrewers were able to reverse this and restore the software PS2 backwards compatibility that works on the majority of the PS2 library.

Besides your next post's example (right above mine now), what are some other potential uses on Switch? I don't really know how any of this stuff works. I just know that I hacked my Wii for 20XX, but I don't know what the difference between Homebrew and Dios Mios or Dolphin or whatever is. In a vacuum what does homebrew do?

Vena

Exactly, noticed it's mainly the same people saying the same stuff over and over again in every thread having to do with Switch hacking scene just keeps derailing

Conversely, if you are doing this in the secret hopes for piracy, congratulations on your new 300$ paperweight (because you are going to be stuck in 3.0.0) for a long, long time with no library available to it.

If any one is curious on this same exact thing happening in the past, look up the PS4's 1.76 firmware. A different but major exploit allowed for the PS4 to be turned into a linux PC if you so chose or run unsigned code to your heart's content. It was subsequently patched out but people still hunt down those TLOU PS4 Bundles because thats the only way to 1.76. Other firmwares were cracked to much more limited degrees. The PS4 didn't suddenly see rampant piracy on all its software.

Anth0ny

Besides your next post's example (right above mine now), what are some other potential uses on Switch? I don't really know how any of this stuff works. I just know that I hacked my Wii for 20XX, but I don't know what the difference between Homebrew and Dios Mios or Dolphin or whatever is. In a vacuum what does homebrew do?

emulation (Everything up to GC gen?)
mods (Project M?)
media player for your movies/tv/music

Usually region free would be a part of that list too but at least Nintendo got that one right finally.

Just those three things I listed on a platform as powerful as Switch AND portable would be sweet.

Drain You

One interesting thing that Homebrew could possibly do, tho I don't know how possible it would be for them, is allowing you to switch between Docked and Undocked modes without actually docking and undocking. So potentially playing the beefed up TV mode version in handheld mode.
Wonder what battery length would be with performance docked while the system is actually undocked.

Top Bottom