• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Humongous Entertainment brings games to Steam (Putt Putt, Pajama Sam, Spy Fox)

Thomper

There's a whole bunch of classic kids adventure games that will be released on Steam the next few weeks. I totally remember playing some of those games; I don't know if they still hold up, but they were definitely some of the better kids games.

For those that don't know: Humongous Entertainment was founded by Ron Gilbert, so these are definitely of a higher pedigree than the average kids game.

28 Classic Titles debut today on Steam including ‘Lost’ titles and Character Bundles.

LOS ANGELES, CA- (April 17, 2014)— Night Dive Studios, a classic games developer that specializes in the restoration and optimization of retro classic gaming titles, and Tommo Inc., a global game and entertainment company, have announced today that 28 all-time great Humongous Entertainment Adventure, Activity and Arcade titles are now available on Steam .

“An entire generation of 90s and Millennial kids grew up on Putt-Putt®, Freddi Fish, Pajama Sam and SPY Fox games. Night Dive is thrilled to be able to deliver these transcendent games to a new generation of fans” said Stephen Kick, CEO of Night Dive Studios “The Humongous Library is filled with hours of incredible animation, great dialog, beautiful soundtracks and fun for the whole family. Humongous set a standard in interactive and educational gaming for kids that has never been matched.”

“Tommo is truly passionate about the Humongous universe of games and characters, we are dedicated to bringing back the ultimate Edutainment experience to digital platforms everywhere and we’re thrilled to have these titles on Steam and to be working with a dedicated partner in Night Dive,” said Jonathan Wan, CEO of Tommo, Inc.

Night Dive is releasing standalone games and Collector’s bundles for each major Humongous Character including some previously ‘lost’ games that have never appeared in an authorized digital version before.

Steam Release Schedule:

4/17

Putt-Putt® Joins the Parade

Freddi Fish and The Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds

Pajama Sam: No Need to Hide When It’s Dark Outside

Spy Fox in: Dry Cereal

Putt-Putt® and Pep’s Balloon-o-Rama

Freddi Fish and Luther’s Maze Madness

5/1

Putt-Putt® Goes to the Moon

Freddi Fish 2: The Case of the Haunted Schoolhouse

Pajama Sam 2: Thunder and Lightning Aren’t so Frightening

Spy Fox 2: Some Assembly Required

Putt-Putt® and Pep’s Dog on a Stick

Freddi Fish and Luther’s Water Worries

5/15

Putt-Putt® Travels through Time

Freddi Fish 3: The Case of the Stolen Conch Shell

Pajama Sam 3: You Are What You Eat from Your Head to Your Feet

Spy Fox 3: Operation Ozone

Putt-Putt® and Fatty Bear’s Activity Pack

5/29

Putt-Putt® Enters the Race

Putt-Putt® Joins the Circus

Freddi Fish 4: The Case of the Hogfish Rustlers of Briny Gulch

Pajama Sam 4: Life Is Rough When You Lose Your Stuff!

Spy Fox in: Cheese Chase

6/6

Putt-Putt®: Pep’s Birthday Surprise

Freddi Fish 5: The Case of the Creature of Coral Cove

Pajama Sam’s Sock Works

Spy Fox in: Hold the Mustard

Pajama Sam’s Lost & Found
http://humongous.com/2014/04/humongous-entertainment-gets-the-steam-treatment/
As the press release mentions all the games will be rolled out over the next few weeks. You can buy the complete pack (of 28 games) for about a hundred bucks here: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/42723/

Pudge

I was really happy to see this today, Freddi Fish and Putt Putt were some of the first real video games outside of Mario on my dad's NES that I really got into and explored. Always happy to see good stuff preserved and rereleased for today's audiences.

I've been sitting here, contemplating buying that complete pack. I think these games still hold up, too, because I played a couple that were released on iOS and still found them fun.

The Llama

Oh my god I loved all these games when I was a kid. I will buy and enjoy all of these... once I have some money.

$100 complete pack? Yep I'm getting that once I get my first paycheck this summer.

Timeless

Pajama Sam 2: Thunder and Lightning Aren't so Frightening (not yet on Steam) and its predecessor, Pajama Sam In: No Need to Hide When It's Dark Outside are the best games Humongous Entertainment ever released. Pajama Sam 2 is the pinnacle of HE, and among the best point-and-click adventure games of all time.

The humor, puzzles, graphics, etc., are top-notch.

I plan on buying the entire publisher pack when it's heavily discounted.

And don't forget about Pajama Sam's lesser-known adventure:

They do use ScummVM.

It should be legal, since the sources aren't modified and they include a copy of the GPL (source: SCUMMVM IRC).

Someone claiming to work for Night Dive Studios (the publisher) is in the IRC as well.

[16:18] <Saleck> the source is included with all the games
[16:18] <Saleck> as well as GPL documents
[16:20] <Saleck> guh I can't count sometimes
[16:21] <@DrMcCoy> Saleck: Like I said in the other channel, I for one would still like to see a blurb how it uses ScummVM, and that ScummVM is GPLv2 free software on the game page
[16:21] <Saleck> I wrote the manuals and I was very short on time, I'll get it fixed asap thanks for pointing it out
[16:22] <@salty-horse> Saleck, employee? I just emailed HE support asking to make other languages available :D
[16:23] <Saleck> I work for Night Dive Studios and was responsible for every single one of the Humongous Games put on Steam today
[16:24] <@salty-horse> Saleck, thanks for the effort and compliance :)
[16:26] <Saleck> @salty-horse: thanks :) I just.. wanted to make sure I could get everything above board as best I could
[16:28] <@salty-horse> Saleck, all of the links to the "official website" on steam are broken. there's a http:// missing which makes them be relative to steampowered.com
[16:30] <Saleck> ok thank you I'll see about getting them changed
[16:30] <fuzzie> I'm just happy about anything which doesn't blatantly violate the GPL by putting up a crazy EULA
[16:31] <Saleck> well I'm happy you're happy :)
[16:32] <anon136376> Any Spy Fox experts in the audience? Is this guy correct? "I just downloaded Spy Fox in Dry Cereal and was met with some kind of British dub. This kills the nostalgia. What are the odds we'll get the original "Maxwell Smart-esque" dub?"
[16:33] <fuzzie> haha, did they ship the British versions? :)
[16:33] <Saleck> Spy Fox 1 has british voice actors
[16:33] <Saleck> Spy Fox 2 and 3 are American voice actors
[16:35] <@droid2727> Saleck: Will you guys be making a donation to ScummVM?

Timeless

Ilúvatar;108546951 said:
Give me Backyard Baseball on Steam -> I will give you all my monies

No Backyard Baseball?

Guess that's what ScummVM is for, then.
Every release but the very first one has licensed real-life baseball players. That would be tough to license. I don't understand why the first game can't be put on Steam though. Maybe another company owns the rights?

Anyone who still has their old HE discs lying around: Installing the games with SCUMMVM is exactly the same as paying for these games.

Thomper

Ilúvatar;108546951 said:
Give me Backyard Baseball on Steam -> I will give you all my monies

Atari used to own all of the Humongous Entertainment games. When they went bankrupt last year, most of the adventure games went Tommo Inc. Backyard Baseball, apparently, went to some other company. Thus, seems unlikely we'll get Backyard Baseball any time soon.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Count me in as another fellow who enjoyed the Putt Putt games as a child.

Anyone remember that one mini game on Putt Putt Goes to the Moon where you're a bear flying a biplane?

Also the voice actress who played Pyjama Sam was also the voice of Bobby Hill in King of the Hill.

rekameohs

Banned
Every release but the very first one has licensed real-life baseball players. That would be tough to license. I don't understand why the first game can't be put on Steam though. Maybe another company owns the rights?

Anyone who still has their old HE discs lying around: Installing the games with SCUMMVM is exactly the same as paying for these games.
Yeah I still have the Backyard Baseball / 2001 discs and have em on ScummVM.

graywolf323

never really played any of those games as a kid but I definitely remember seeing them on store shelves

not something I would have ever expected to come to Steam

TriGen

Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon?!

*Waves of nostalgia*

Yep, that title immediately stood out. My favorite kids game.

I also played a couple of the Spy Fox games (the Cereal one sounds familiar) and another Putt-Putt game.

Edit: Oh yeah, I love Backyard Baseball too.

Couldn't get Bobby Hill out of my mind when my daughter was playing Pajama Sam. Also Humongous, please make this available.

1147252-jikhzr.jpg

I had the first two Putt Putt games and a demo disc of Freddi the Fish 4. Played Spy Fox and Pajama Sam at friend's houses.

I won't be buying these, but damn if it doesn't make me feel like a kid reading those titles.

You know what I would buy again? Backyard Baseball! Developed by Humongous (these guys) and published by Atari, get me a Steam release and I'd be all over it.

The best part about these games is the fact that they have alternate paths that the game takes so its slightly different each time you play it.

Man I spent so many hours replaying these games.

Window

I remember playing Pajama Sam and Freddi Fish games in primary school as a problem solving, team building, computer interaction exercise. I had forgotten all about them.

KiraFA37

Freddy Fish... on Steam? I haven't played the others but this is part of my childhood on steam. Might be buying these.

The hidden gem here is Putt Putts Ballon-O-Rama. I remember the game seeming to just go on forever and having some really creative level layouts. Also Freddi Fish and Pajama sam afraid of the dark and You Are What you Eat are teh best of these.

Bacon

Count me in as another fellow who enjoyed the Putt Putt games as a child.

Anyone remember that one mini game on Putt Putt Goes to the Moon where you're a bear flying a biplane?

Also the voice actress who played Pyjama Sam was also the voice of Bobby Hill in King of the Hill.

I played that biplane minigame for hours. Probably never finished the actual putt putt game itself, but goddamn did I play the shit out of that minigame.

Bacon

Which Putt Putt game was the one where you could make fireworks? I think it was at the beginning of the game. I loved that shit.

No Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise? What is this sacrilege

I know, right? Aside from Putt Putt Goes to the Moon, that's the Humongous game nearest and dearest to my heart.

Pretty cool that these are finally available again though. I might pick up Pajama Sam and some of the others for old times' sake.

ajcacio

Banned
Spy Fox was my jam back in the day. Those games are so good. I actually played them in reverse order...but man they were great.

Necrovex

Putt Putt was my jam back in those days. Pajama Sam was also pure bliss! I only played a few Freddi Fish games, I remember having a difficult time with that franchise. I have never played a Spy Fox title. :-(

Top Bottom