• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors Legends |OT| Linkle, Linkle, Little Star.

Piers

UUUUGH. Why did they not add fast travel points to the adventure mode, ffs.
It's really pissing me off.
Trying to do a mission and literally the first thing that happens is Cia going "rescue me!", Lana going "rescue me!" and the base getting nearly murdered.
Yeah this is fun.
And then the manhandla stalks that pop up all across the fucking map just murder the keep anyway.

That's a good point, actually. Presumably it's to stop giving players an easy ride to A-ranking the time.
One thing I do half-seriously want them to add is the option to remove Hylian/Goron captains from missions outright. They really don't amount to anything worthwhile other than a quick, temporary blockade for other competent captains. Hearing the *DUUUN* alarm, followed by cries for help, every 30 seconds just grates. It's legitimately annoying.

Rizzi

I forgot how much better looking the Wii U version was than the 3DS version. Went back and watched a gameplay video, and damn I forgot what that game looked like.

Berordn

A lot of the adventure maps did have them added, but it really should've just been all of them outright. Barely any point in having the ocarina if you only get to use it 40% of the time.

Piers

I forgot how much better looking the Wii U version was than the 3DS version. Went back and watched a gameplay video, and damn I forgot what that game looked like.

Especially with the cinematic scenes missing in the 3DS, where Special Attacks have the camera static for the first half and boss weak-point smashes just unleash a boring explosion.

It's particularly odd for Special Attacks, though, because the first few seconds actually provide some context. Skull Kid has him just standing there and suddenly an explosion; in the Wii U version, you get a cinematic zoom-in to his wiggling face, complete with spooky purple auras which is all a throw back to Majora's Mask.

Same with Linkle — there's awesome camera cuts that occur between each shot she makes, before finishing off with the twirling action.

georly

Especially with the cinematic scenes missing in the 3DS, where Special Attacks have the camera static for the first half and boss weak-point smashes just unleash a boring explosion.

I like the boring explosion, it speeds things up. Animations are only fun the first handful of times they happen, after that they're getting in the way, I think.

Camjo-Z

I agree that some of them lose a bit of pizazz, but ultimately I'll take faster gameplay over watching a cool animation play a million times every level.

Saoshyant

I can't seem to find this information and it's not spelled out in the OP: I have both HW games so, obviously, I would like to use the DLC code on my U version, but it doesn't seem to work on the eShop. So, I assume it's one of three things:

1) it's not live yet, even though it's been several days/weeks since the release hit here in Europe
2) it's not supposed to be used on the eShop, but I can't find anywhere to add it on the game itself either
3) it's a dud, code is bad/wrong/already used

Help?

Jucksalbe

Banned

It's not 1) or 2), but are you sure you're using the right code? I don't have the 3DS version yet, but as far as I know there's also a code to be used in the 3DS version in there (something to do with those fairies?).
Other than that, you should be able to redeem that WiiU code in the WiiU eShop. It worked with the code I got from someone else at least.

Saoshyant

as far as I know there's also a code to be used in the 3DS version in there (something to do with those fairies?)

Well, I'm going to hope it's this option number 4) you mentioned because, otherwise, the code's a dud then.

Background info: I bought the game alongside Valkyria Chronicles (PS4) and, Amazon, who used to ship stuff separately when the availability dates between items were too far apart isn't doing that anymore apparently, so I have to wait until half way through May to get both. The thing is, they also emailed me a code for HWL DLC. Since I was assuming there was only the one code, I didn't imagine that it's some sort of unrelated fairy thing?

So, uh, can anyone confirm that there's really a second code.that has nothing to do with providing the new characters for the U version of the game? And if yes why is it not working on the eShop anyway?

Camjo-Z

So, uh, can anyone confirm that there's really a second code.that has nothing to do with providing the new characters for the U version of the game? And if yes why is it not working on the eShop anyway?

Maybe it's the code for the 3DS Home theme?

TDLink

So my game appears to be bugged out unless I'm doing something wrong...

I'm on the story mission "Shining Beacon". My current objective is "Capture the last sanctum!" x2. It is not completed. Below that is the objective "Capture the sealed Sanctums!" which is marked as Success. Both of the flashing keeps/sanctums on the map are under my control. The only keeps on the map not under my control are gated off still. I can see Volga behind one.

Do I just have to restart the mission? Feels like something fucked up. Or am I missing something obvious?

Kouriozan

I'm on the story mission "Shining Beacon". My current objective is "Capture the last sanctum!" x2. It is not completed. Below that is the objective "Capture the sealed Sanctums!" which is marked as Success. Both of the flashing keeps/sanctums on the map are under my control. The only keeps on the map not under my control are gated off still. I can see Volga behind one.

Do I just have to restart the mission? Feels like something fucked up. Or am I missing something obvious?
I remember something like that happening to me twice in the Wii U version, I was completing all the objective while cleaning the map, then I arrived at the boss keep while all the map was under my control and it was still closed
After running around the whole map again, I realized one of the objective didn't complete and was completely stuck I had to restart the whole fight since reloading from the previous point still triggered the bug.
It was in the Skyloft and Twilight dungeon map.

TDLink

I remember something like that happening to me twice in the Wii U version, I was completing all the objective while cleaning the map, then I arrived at the boss keep while all the map was under my control and it was still closed
After running around the whole map again, I realized one of the objective didn't complete and was completely stuck I had to restart the whole fight since reloading from the previous point still triggered the bug.
It was in the Skyloft and Twilight dungeon map.

That really sucks. But I guess it's only 20 minutes.

Is that one while on the Valley of Seers? I think
there is a third Sanctum (which looks like a keep, but doesn't show up as a keep). Once you reach it, it becomes an enemy held keep and it says you found the third Sanctum.

Edit: Oh, I should probably add that
It's located at the center of the southern edge of the map.

TDLink

Is that one while on the Valley of Seers? I think
there is a third Sanctum (which looks like a keep, but doesn't show up as a keep). Once you reach it, it becomes an enemy held keep and it says you found the third Sanctum.

Edit: Oh, I should probably add that
It's located at the center of the southern edge of the map.

That was it! Thank You. Good thing I didn't reset. Pretty sneaky of them, definitely isn't clear that that is what you had to do.

That was it! Thank You. Good thing I didn't reset. Pretty sneaky of them, definitely isn't clear that that is what you had to do.

Yeah, I just played that mission the other day and I remember wondering what was going on for a few minutes. They might have mentioned it in the conversation the characters were having, but those are so easy to miss important information in.

NeonZ

Huh. I just got to the Wind Waker adventure map and finished the first "dungeon" square. It's kind of interesting
how linear the map is compared to the other ones. The game pretty much forces the player to go through the early Wind Waker progression in a way - starting from Windfall, but with all areas surrounding the island locked until you go to Dragon Roost and beat Gohma there, which gives a Wind Waker item to open a path to the sea area with the Deku Tree and such. And then that seems to follow a similar format. Volga's Valoo colored armor and a Rito beak for the Fairies are both obtained in the Dragon Roost squares, which was neat too.

It's kind of odd how they didn't use the actual Dragoon Roost stage for either area from the map though.

MANUELF

Banned
I can't seem to find this information and it's not spelled out in the OP: I have both HW games so, obviously, I would like to use the DLC code on my U version, but it doesn't seem to work on the eShop. So, I assume it's one of three things:

1) it's not live yet, even though it's been several days/weeks since the release hit here in Europe
2) it's not supposed to be used on the eShop, but I can't find anywhere to add it on the game itself either
3) it's a dud, code is bad/wrong/already used

Help?

Is a Fariy code that you can use only in a ingame menu of the game so is of no use until you have the game, the game will also include two codes, one for a 3ds theme and one for the dlc on wiiu

colorlust

I double-dipped and am now re-obsessed with the game. Is it just me or is the Great Sea map generally easier than the first Adventure map? I have 7 more spaces to clear on GS and I still haven't even unlocked Young Link in the original map! Oops. There is this terrible Twili Midna map blocking the way up there.

I double-dipped and am now re-obsessed with the game. Is it just me or is the Great Sea map generally easier than the first Adventure map? I have 7 more spaces to clear on GS and I still haven't even unlocked Young Link in the original map! Oops. There is this terrible Twili Midna map blocking the way up there.

It is easier. And honestly that is a good thing since it lets you get more comfortable with other characters that can't use the Master Crutch.

Tomita

Advice on roughly what level most of my characters should be for
Grand Finale: Liberation of the Triforce
? I played it last night and it was impossible to complete because Zelda, Fi, and Midna keep dying really quick which equaled Game Over, and I'd have to waste time switching to them to heal them to no avail. :/ I think I need to do something to weaken
Ganon
so everyone stops freaking dying, but I never got a chance to do it. So frustrating having no time to figure out what to do before someone dies.

Also I hate how it takes forever for the level to quit when you've failed. Like I get it game, I screwed up, so shut up so I can redo it and not fail this time. :p

Piers

Advice on roughly what level most of my characters should be for
Grand Finale: Liberation of the Triforce
? I played it last night and it was impossible to complete because Zelda, Fi, and Midna keep dying really quick which equaled Game Over, and I'd have to waste time switching to them to heal them to no avail. :/ I think I need to do something to weaken
Ganon
so everyone stops freaking dying, but I never got a chance to do it. So frustrating having no time to figure out what to do before someone dies.

Also I hate how it takes forever for the level to quit when you've failed. Like I get it game, I screwed up, so shut up so I can redo it and not fail this time. :p

My characters were Lv. 25-30 or so when doing this chapter, although I was making my way through Adventure Mode at the same time as well.
Ganon is effectively a gauntlet of all the other bosses — you've seen him do the same attacks as them (Fire ball, laser blast, seed spray), so that'll tip you on what item to hit him with. Bear in mind he'll start throwing in some nastier attacks once he's in 'phase two' of the fight.

colorlust

It is easier. And honestly that is a good thing since it lets you get more comfortable with other characters that can't use the Master Crutch.

One change I love A LOT are the adventure levels you get to bring second, stronger characters on. I think with all of the actual gameplay changes I actually fail missions drastically less often than on the wii u version. Its a lot easier to get an A rank time when you dont have to spend minutes running up and down the map because you can send a different character where they need to be.

I am making an effort to learn more characters...but I still rely on Link for harder missions because I am lazy trash.

I keep seeing people mention Fairy Shade and I have no idea what it is. I need to find a more comprehensive My Fairy guide, I am only using mine to get KOs.

One change I love A LOT are the adventure levels you get to bring second, stronger characters on. I think with all of the actual gameplay changes I actually fail missions drastically less often than on the wii u version. Its a lot easier to get an A rank time when you dont have to spend minutes running up and down the map because you can send a different character where they need to be.

I am making an effort to learn more characters...but I still rely on Link for harder missions because I am lazy trash.

I keep seeing people mention Fairy Shade and I have no idea what it is. I need to find a more comprehensive My Fairy guide, I am only using mine to get KOs.

I do too. Although right now I grasped Ganondorf's greatness that the Trident was less impressive to me.

colorlust

Yeah, Ganondorf is currently my second highest leveled character. I am using him a lot more this time, which I think is partially related to how good his Wind Waker costume looks.

Richie

Finally beat the first map in Adventure Mode, convinced I'd unlock the Master Quest map and thus, could stumble across those wonderful KO Count events, and I could begin leveling up my Warriors by the loads.

Great Sea map unlocks instead.

I'm all for experiencing the new content this game has, but

Why

colorlust

This is definitely my other reason. It looks utterly fantastic.

My biggest complaint with him in the original was how much damage he would take during his ridiculously slow combo. Pretty useless on harder adventure maps when captains would just pummel him. The trident feels so fast and fun!

Richie

Also, does anyone know what enemy drops Monster Horn? Ridiculous how after beating Legend Mode and the first Adventure map, both around 90% complete, I haven't come across any. Skull Kid will appreciate your help.

colorlust

Also, does anyone know what enemy drops Monster Horn? Ridiculous how after beating Legend Mode and the first Adventure map, both around 90% complete, I haven't come across any. Skull Kid will appreciate your help.

I am pretty sure they are common drops from the Wind Waker dudes with the shields. I don't think I got one until I unlocked the Wind Waker story. Have you beaten Linkle and Cia's stuff?

My Toon Link, Tetra, and Skull Kid had a really bad badge situation until I started working my way through the great sea map.

Richie

I am pretty sure they are common drops from the Wind Waker dudes with the shields. I don't think I got one until I unlocked the Wind Waker story. Have you beaten Linkle and Cia's stuff?

Oooh, that explains it! I'm in the last Cia chapter, the Wind Waker missions are right ahead...

I was confused because if you haven't found a Warriors' material, it shows as "?????" in the Badges until you get it; since the Monster Horn has been visible for a while, I assumed I had already picked it up somewhere. Thanks a lot!

colorlust

Oooh, that explains it! I'm in the last Cia chapter, the Wind Waker missions are right ahead...

I was confused because if you haven't found a Warriors' material, it shows as "?????" in the Badges until you get it; since the Monster Horn has been visible for a while, I assumed I had already picked it up somewhere. Thanks a lot!

Yeah I was confused about that as well. I think there may have been one enemy that produced it in the first map where you Unlock Toon Link, which I did fairly early on, and then didn't see one for a very long time!

I think one of the benefits of all of the new characters having unique materials is that it seems much easier to get a badges for people.

My biggest complaint with him in the original was how much damage he would take during his ridiculously slow combo. Pretty useless on harder adventure maps when captains would just pummel him. The trident feels so fast and fun!

Thankfully they made strides in improving characters like Zant as well.

georly

So, once you unlock food (found in a jar on certain missions), does it just become a random drop off enemies with health bars? I seem to get one every 2-3 missions sometimes, but only ones i've 'unlocked'. Is that correct?

Tomita

My characters were Lv. 25-30 or so when doing this chapter, although I was making my way through Adventure Mode at the same time as well.
Ganon is effectively a gauntlet of all the other bosses — you've seen him do the same attacks as them (Fire ball, laser blast, seed spray), so that'll tip you on what item to hit him with. Bear in mind he'll start throwing in some nastier attacks once he's in 'phase two' of the fight.

Okay...off to play more Adventure Mode then. Everyone not Link and other "story default" characters is basically at twenty-five at the most, haha. Also when I played it I played as Impa so I guess I'll play as my OP Link too. (Seriously, I try not to play Link too often and he's still always way overleveled. It's nuts)

colorlust

So, once you unlock food (found in a jar on certain missions), does it just become a random drop off enemies with health bars? I seem to get one every 2-3 missions sometimes, but only ones i've 'unlocked'. Is that correct?

I would like to know this as well. It would make sense because I am still only unlocking Lon Lon Milk and Magic Beans.

georly

I would like to know this as well. It would make sense because I am still only unlocking Lon Lon Milk and Magic Beans.

Same, and I can't find a pattern for getting it. It just shows up at the end of the mission. Not sure if they're coming out of jars/pots or if they're rare enemy drops.

NeonZ

Yes, the tutorial message explains that. You get the first food by breaking jars in enemy keeps in stages marked with food, and afterwards that food becomes a rare random drop from enemy officers.

colorlust

Yes, the tutorial message explains that. You get the first food by breaking jars in enemy keeps in stages marked with food, and afterwards that food becomes a rare random drop from enemy officers.

Does Food+ just make those drops more common?

Definitely rare. Almost not worth to use the potions for them.

So in maps where you can command other characters, like send them to a position on the map, is there a way to cancel their position? Then they just stand around there instead of being active like they would have been if I didn't send them to a certain place. I feel like they're better when they act automatically before I gave any commands.

Master Quest map definitely started off rough for me, as the rulesets as well as the increase in commanders is a time drain, as well as coming to terms that Heart Containers are rather useless thanks to the ranking system.

It feels bad to come across Impa's crowd control options and fail at killing things within fifteen minutes. And in Zelda's case, not enough things to kill to get an A rank from KOs, so I have to figure that part out.

Rack up your KOs (where you get Wizzro's Heart Container) ends up being hell because they give you 10 minutes to rack up KOs.... but you were given less time on the Great Sea Map, and it was incredibly easy to rack up KOs. So 10 minutes to rack up KOs is more like 10 minutes to survive, in which we have 3 Giant Bosses and morale boosts. And of course, you have a PARTNER this time, which means extreme micromanaging to not get them killed since once the morale boost kicks in, their HP gets shredded FAST. This also makes switching incredibly risky as the same can happen to the character you were previously using. And there's no healing have fun!

Meanwhile Young Link's level 3 was incredibly easy since it's just a speed run level.

TDLink

Having problems with a story mission. It's where you have Ganon, Ghirahim, and Zant in the Valley of Seers. Lana splits into 3 near the end and runs in completely different directions. You need to stop her before she escapes. The AI is being dumb and even though I tell the 2 I'm not controlling to go after separate Lanas they both kind of chill near the Fairy Fountain and don't do anything. I can't get to all 3 fast enough, one escapes within like 30 seconds of the objective starting no matter what I do. Any tips?

Vhalyar

Having problems with a story mission. It's where you have Ganon, Ghirahim, and Zant in the Valley of Seers. Lana splits into 3 near the end and runs in completely different directions. You need to stop her before she escapes. The AI is being dumb and even though I tell the 2 I'm not controlling to go after separate Lanas they both kind of chill near the Fairy Fountain and don't do anything. I can't get to all 3 fast enough, one escapes within like 30 seconds of the objective starting no matter what I do. Any tips?

When you send a character to intercept, take control for a moment and punch Lana around a few times, then switch back to another character. This should make them fight for a bit, as otherwise just sending a character after Lana won't do any good.

magnetic

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how I should approach this game. Does playing those adventure maps make sense before finishing the story? How does setting the difficulty impact the progression in the game?

What I'm asking is "what's your gameplay loop like". Currently I'm just playing the story on easy in order to learn the base mechanics - especially reading the map and splitting my attention between combat and tactics.

Does the combat have depth to it on harder difficulties? Is this a DMC/Bayonetta situation where the "real" game is in the hard modes? Or, say, like Earth Defense Force where you can choose between super easy and shitty loot or challenging and rewarding?

This is my very first Musou and I definitely find it intriguing, especially since it's unlike anything else I played before. Am I correct in assuming that this game is more about putting out fires and keeping control of the map rather than the moment to moment combat?

colorlust

Any advice on A ranking the Great Sea level -Defeat all Bosses feat. The Imprisoned, Phantom Ganon, and Ganon? I was using level 98 Link, level 60 Ganondorf, and level 50 King Daphnes. I can beat them all well within the 10 minutes, but it is really hard to not take damage when they start to team up, and it is hard to kill them before they team up when it takes lvl 95 Link 4 breaks to kill the Imprisoned.

Would any potion make a difference or maybe some fairy strategy? I just want Young Link's lvl 2 weapon!

Any advice on A ranking the Great Sea level -Defeat all Bosses feat. The Imprisoned, Phantom Ganon, and Ganon? I was using level 98 Link, level 60 Ganondorf, and level 50 King Daphnes. I can beat them all well within the 10 minutes, but it is really hard to not take damage when they start to team up, and it is hard to kill them before they team up when it takes lvl 95 Link 4 breaks to kill the Imprisoned.

Would any potion make a difference or maybe some fairy strategy? I just want Young Link's lvl 2 weapon!

Split off characters. Don't get hit. Rejoin characters as they score a kill.

Morts

I don't really get how Adventure mode works. I burned a bush to reveal a staircase and the game said I earned a reward, but I don't know what the reward is or if I'm supposed to be able to do something else with the staircase. It isn't clear at all if I've played a square before or if I'm really 'done' with it.

Top Bottom