• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors Legends |OT| Linkle, Linkle, Little Star.

I don't really get how Adventure mode works. I burned a bush to reveal a staircase and the game said I earned a reward, but I don't know what the reward is or if I'm supposed to be able to do something else with the staircase. It isn't clear at all if I've played a square before or if I'm really 'done' with it.

Once you reveal a secret, you beat the stage.

colorlust

I don't really get how Adventure mode works. I burned a bush to reveal a staircase and the game said I earned a reward, but I don't know what the reward is or if I'm supposed to be able to do something else with the staircase. It isn't clear at all if I've played a square before or if I'm really 'done' with it.

Once you use an item card on a square, you still have to beat (or re-beat) that square AND get an A-rank usually to unlock the item. Sometimes, you just have to beat the square if the item is just listed under 'battle victory' (mostly characters and costumes).

VandalD

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how I should approach this game. Does playing those adventure maps make sense before finishing the story? How does setting the difficulty impact the progression in the game?

What I'm asking is "what's your gameplay loop like". Currently I'm just playing the story on easy in order to learn the base mechanics - especially reading the map and splitting my attention between combat and tactics.

Does the combat have depth to it on harder difficulties? Is this a DMC/Bayonetta situation where the "real" game is in the hard modes? Or, say, like Earth Defense Force where you can choose between super easy and shitty loot or challenging and rewarding?

This is my very first Musou and I definitely find it intriguing, especially since it's unlike anything else I played before. Am I correct in assuming that this game is more about putting out fires and keeping control of the map rather than the moment to moment combat?
Parts of adventure mode will be locked off until you get to certain points in the story, so it makes sense to me to finish the story first. You still might want to go to adventure mode for a bit to get and feed your first fairy though.

As far as I know, higher difficulties just change how much damage enemies give and receive. Playing on hard in the story missions will unlock a second skulltula though. I forget if you have to beat the game first to enable that, but you definitely have to get the first skulltula before the second, which means you'll be playing through the stage at least twice.

The combat doesn't have too much depth. What I did when I was learning the characters is find the best attacks to clear out large groups of enemies, and the best attacks to lower an officer's weak point gauge without breaking the combo. The difficulty does ramp up, but that's mainly because of you needing to dodge everything to avoid taking too much damage and losing your A rank in adventure mode. The depth is more about knowing where you should be fighting to help your objectives stay alive long enough for you to not only get your objectives done, but also grab any treasures or skulltulas in the mission. So your assumption about putting out fires and keeping control is correct. This becomes more of an issue in adventure mode, where you have to beat (most) missions within 15 minutes to get an A rank, so you can't always just take your time defending and clearing everything out to be safe.
Any advice on A ranking the Great Sea level -Defeat all Bosses feat. The Imprisoned, Phantom Ganon, and Ganon? I was using level 98 Link, level 60 Ganondorf, and level 50 King Daphnes. I can beat them all well within the 10 minutes, but it is really hard to not take damage when they start to team up, and it is hard to kill them before they team up when it takes lvl 95 Link 4 breaks to kill the Imprisoned.

Would any potion make a difference or maybe some fairy strategy? I just want Young Link's lvl 2 weapon!
Have you checked the apothecary lately? There's either a "do more damage to bosses" potion, or at least one that lets you reduce their weak point gauge faster. Try one of those. The potions can be very helpful. If you don't have many potions to choose from, it's because you've been neglecting finding skulltulas.

colorlust

Have you checked the apothecary lately? There's either a "do more damage to bosses" potion, or at least one that lets you reduce their weak point gauge faster. Try one of those. The potions can be very helpful. If you don't have many potions to choose from, it's because you've been neglecting finding skulltulas.

I have found 50 skulltulas but I don't have a specific boss potion yet. I wonder if it unlocks at 90? I haven't been able to bring myself to replay Legends mode on hard to collect the second ones other than the first two to finish the True Friends map.

VandalD

I have found 50 skulltulas but I don't have a specific boss potion yet. I wonder if it unlocks at 90? I haven't been able to bring myself to replay Legends mode on hard to collect the second ones other than the first two to finish the True Friends map.
That might be something to go back and do then. You can get the skulltulas in Free mode also, which in a lot of cases lets you bring someone you want to use, along with the person/weapon that lets the skulltula appear. But I only have 48 skulltulas. You should have Weak Point Smasher and Boss MP Absorber, since that's what I've got. It's not more damage, but could be helpful.

colorlust

That might be something to go back and do then. You can get the skulltulas in Free mode also, which in a lot of cases lets you bring someone you want to use, along with the person/weapon that lets the skulltula appear. But I only have 48 skulltulas. You should have Weak Point Smasher and Boss MP Absorber, since that's what I've got. It's not more damage, but could be helpful.

Yeah I remember how huge of a game changer it was in the WiiU version when I finally realized that activating and ending your magic automatically caused bosses to break. I love that when you gather people around a boss you get to absorb MP. It makes bosses generally go down much quicker than the WiiU version. Plus the ability to break the imprisoned in one go.

magnetic

Parts of adventure mode will be locked off until you get to certain points in the story, so it makes sense to me to finish the story first. You still might want to go to adventure mode for a bit to get and feed your first fairy though.

As far as I know, higher difficulties just change how much damage enemies give and receive. Playing on hard in the story missions will unlock a second skulltula though. I forget if you have to beat the game first to enable that, but you definitely have to get the first skulltula before the second, which means you'll be playing through the stage at least twice.

The combat doesn't have too much depth. What I did when I was learning the characters is find the best attacks to clear out large groups of enemies, and the best attacks to lower an officer's weak point gauge without breaking the combo. The difficulty does ramp up, but that's mainly because of you needing to dodge everything to avoid taking too much damage and losing your A rank in adventure mode. The depth is more about knowing where you should be fighting to help your objectives stay alive long enough for you to not only get your objectives done, but also grab any treasures or skulltulas in the mission. So your assumption about putting out fires and keeping control is correct. This becomes more of an issue in adventure mode, where you have to beat (most) missions within 15 minutes to get an A rank, so you can't always just take your time defending and clearing everything out to be safe.

Thank you for the detailed answer! Really enjoying this so far.

L.O.R.D

umm, whats up with that room filled with link photos in the castle?

for reference

jpGHjfw.png

f7vTurk.png

QO5j5SZ.png

MANUELF

Banned

for reference

jpGHjfw.png

f7vTurk.png

QO5j5SZ.png

Have you finished the game? In any case
Cia loved the Hero so much and she was hurt not being able to be with him that darkness formed in her heart and Ganon took advantage of that to divide her in two and control the evil part

Anteo

I'm pretty sure it was explained earlier in the game that the goddess of whatever watched Link through the ages and she is the original form of Cia and Lana.

I dont remember the Ganondorf stuff but I stoped paying attention after a few chapters

Anyone have a good online resource for going through adventure mode on this game? I know the IGN wiki was handy for me when it came to what little adventure mode I did on the Wii U, but I thought they changed the location of secrets in some of the adventure mode maps for the 3DS version.

VandalD

Anyone have a good online resource for going through adventure mode on this game? I know the IGN wiki was handy for me when it came to what little adventure mode I did on the Wii U, but I thought they changed the location of secrets in some of the adventure mode maps for the 3DS version.
I don't know of a good online resource for the rest of the maps, but at least for the starting adventure map, you can pretty much use an old Legend of Zelda overworld map for all of the bombable walls and burnable trees. It's probably the same for the master quest map, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

I don't know of a good online resource for the rest of the maps, but at least for the starting adventure map, you can pretty much use an old Legend of Zelda overworld map for all of the bombable walls and burnable trees. It's probably the same for the master quest map, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Okay, thanks! Hopefully something comes online soon, I don't want to buy the guide for it, that seems so barbaric for this day in age!

L.O.R.D

That "use a card to find random object on the map" is BS,how i am suppose to do it?
Search every pixel in the map and use all my cards? and how do i get enough cards? i am getting them very randomly.

Finished legend mode,it was fun, but oh god i switched to easy mode to finish the last level.
How i am suppose to finish it on hero mode?

Protecting cia in level before that was very very hard for me.

Jucksalbe

Banned
That "use a card to find random object on the map" is BS,how i am suppose to do it?
Search every pixel in the map and use all my cards? and how do i get enough cards? i am getting them very randomly.

You can use a compass to find the right square. Or, you could just look it up on the map for the original Legend of Zelda. Almost every secret is in the same place as on the original map. Some squares didn't have secrets, they have some other obvious objects (like boulders for water bombs or a green spot with an X for the digging mitts) instead.
But yeah, without very good knowledge of the first game or a map it's a bit too much guessing, since there aren't that many compasses.

L.O.R.D

You can use a compass to find the right square. Or, you could just look it up on the map for the original Legend of Zelda. Almost every secret is in the same place as on the original map. Some squares didn't have secrets, they have some other obvious objects (like boulders for water bombs or a green spot with an X for the digging mitts) instead.
But yeah, without very good knowledge of the first game or a map it's a bit too much guessing, since there aren't that many compasses.
Thanks,i think i am going to edit the save file to give myself 999 compass.
i already got my self 9999999 rubies and 99 for every food item and leveled up all my characters to level 50,oh man,leveling only 1 level after 50 will cost 134000 Ruby.

NeonZ

Finished legend mode,it was fun, but oh god i switched to easy mode to finish the last level.

Your characters do more damage when they're at a higher level. There are also level 3 and level 4 weapons in later Adventure maps (Master Quest, Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask) which do more damage than the initial Master Sword (although the Master Sword itself has those two skills that are unlocked later that increase its damage by a lot).

colorlust

Please forgive me if this has already been mentioned/discovered, but I was looking at the DLC menu this morning just for fun to see if any more details had been added, and now the dates for the four packs are listed by month instead of the generic late spring, summer, fall, they were listed as before.

Master Wind Waker - May
Link's Awakening - July
PH/ST - September
LBW - November

Which means we will have Medli in just a few weeks! (and also means I have nearly 3 more adventure maps to beat in the next few week)

Razmos

Please forgive me if this has already been mentioned/discovered, but I was looking at the DLC menu this morning just for fun to see if any more details had been added, and now the dates for the four packs are listed by month instead of the generic late spring, summer, fall, they were listed as before.

Master Wind Waker - May
Link's Awakening - July
PH/ST - September
LBW - November

Which means we will have Medli in just a few weeks! (and also means I have nearly 3 more adventure maps to beat in the next few week)
Ooh awesome, well spotted.

Anyone who played the Wii U version find it odd how they changed the Adventure Mode boss maps? Usually, you find the elemental fairy and use it on the appropriate keep. Now, that often has no reward and the boss key is in some random keep. I think one even had it near where you start. Felt so out if place.
And also, what's with no bomb flowers anymore?

NeonZ

Anyone who played the Wii U version find it odd how they changed the Adventure Mode boss maps? Usually, you find the elemental fairy and use it on the appropriate keep. Now, that often has no reward and the boss key is in some random keep. I think one even had it near where you start. Felt so out if place.
And also, what's with no bomb flowers anymore?

I guess the later is just to avoid performance issues on the 3ds. I've noticed that the game even seems to make some enemy attacks invisible at times rather than show them and sacrifice the performance.

Regarding the odd chest placement though, that started in the DLC for the original Hyrule Warriors. Legends is just following that. It made some sense in Master Quest's case, since it's supposed to be the tricky map, but it's kind of odd that they carried it to the later ones too.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

Use a compass to see the location and then Home Menu > Quit. You can reload your game and keep your Compass and now you know the location!

colorlust

Use a compass to see the location and then Home Menu > Quit. You can reload your game and keep your Compass and now you know the location!

I am all about this method. I do not have the time or the energy to constantly replay levels for compasses. I feel like Great Sea was pretty well balanced and didn't require too much replay, especially since the spaces that needed item cards were very obvious. But I just started Master Quest and am already annoyed that all the spaces blocking my way have lvl 3 weapons hidden behind items I don't have yet. This game already has so much content that they didn't really need to force us to replay levels more than we already are.

MANUELF

Banned
Finally got the code for the WiiU DLC and the new characters play awesome, the same with Ganondorf new weapon, also they look soooo good on the WiiU version, very happy with them

colorlust

Finally started carving out the Master Quest map. Now knowing that I basically have no other Nintendo games to play until March, I don't feel badly about taking my time to finish the game. However, I got the the 'Don't get Hit' Lvl 3 Spinner stage and lost three separate times during the final fight with Sheik and had to take a bit of a breather for fear or throwing my ds at the wall.

Aizo

Banned
I hope it's okay to ask this. I checked the op and didn't see anything saying I shouldn't.

I just picked up Zelda Musou (Japan) the other day, and I was wondering if anyone had a Japanese Wii U download code from the 3DS version they didn't need and would be willing to give it to me. Totally understandable if it's not okay to beg for codes, but I just thought I would ask. I'd greatly appreciate it!

CengizMan

So I got some codes for the classic costume set. Enjoy, guys.

B0JFPGBG2XLX6L1K
B0JFPGBH2XYY0F0H
B0JFPGBX4KJCY45N
B0JFPGBJ3N0WC1C1

Plum

Got this last week and I've got to say I've been enjoying it a lot more than the Wii U version. The portability of it really makes me want to play it more often as I don't have to commit as much time to each play session. I've already finished Legend Mode and a lot of the first Adventure map.

Anyone know how long it will take to unlock all characters? Do I just have to beat Legend Mode and the first Adventure map to get them? I don't see many of the Wii U DLC characters on there.

Razmos

Got this last week and I've got to say I've been enjoying it a lot more than the Wii U version. The portability of it really makes me want to play it more often as I don't have to commit as much time to each play session. I've already finished Legend Mode and a lot of the first Adventure map.

Anyone know how long it will take to unlock all characters? Do I just have to beat Legend Mode and the first Adventure map to get them? I don't see many of the Wii U DLC characters on there.
All the unlockable characters are on the first adventure map yeah. Twili Midna, Young Link and Tingle are all along the top row of the map

Plum

All the unlockable characters are on the first adventure map yeah. Twili Midna, Young Link and Tingle are all along the top row of the map

Ah, great! That is my biggest criticism with the game, the fact that the adventure mode map is so zoomed in on the top screen. They should have moved the mission details into the touch screen.

OmegaFax

So in maps where you can command other characters, like send them to a position on the map, is there a way to cancel their position? Then they just stand around there instead of being active like they would have been if I didn't send them to a certain place. I feel like they're better when they act automatically before I gave any commands.

I was just about to post something about this. I was wondering the same thing because I couldn't find any way to cancel commands once they're inputted.

Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 uses the same character swapping/command system. There was even Link and Zelda costumes in the Japanese version to cross-promote with Hyrule Warriors. SWC3 has a dedicated button on the N3DS to bring up commands. The thing is: you could tell characters whether to stay or roam; they were way more proactive/effective when it came to fighting enemies and automatically moved towards new or closer objectives. Game released in the States around the time Legends was announced at E3. Playing this game in anticipation for Legends makes the whole swap/command system feel like a step back. I hope they tweak this in an update.

Link_enfant

Okay, despite reading OP I'm still confused about many things while playing Legends.

Many things were unlocked directly on Wii U after purchasing DLC (or with simple updates), like Ganon mode, Epona (Link's new weapon), Young Link, some costumes...

They have to be unlocked on Legends, don't they? I guess we can get them on the Adventure maps but I'm not sure.

Also I only have the regular Adventure map, can I unlock the next ones after I've completed it? I remember Wii U having a few additional maps and again, they were unlocked directly iirc. (I've bought every Wii U DLC so far)

I've bought the Hyrule Legends DLC for both 3DS and Wii U, so there's only one last Wii U characters DLC to be released this summer right?

Razmos

Okay, despite reading OP I'm still confused about many things while playing Legends.

Many things were unlocked directly on Wii U after purchasing DLC (or with simple updates), like Ganon mode, Epona (Link's new weapon), Young Link, some costumes...

They have to be unlocked on Legends, don't they? I guess we can get them on the Adventure maps but I'm not sure.

Also I only have the regular Adventure map, can I unlock the next ones after I've completed it? I remember Wii U having a few additional maps and again, they were unlocked directly iirc. (I've bought every Wii U DLC so far)

I've bought the Hyrule Legends DLC for both 3DS and Wii U, so there's only one last Wii U characters DLC to be released this summer right?
Ganon mode isn't in legends, all of the DLC weapons and Characters are unlockable on the original adventure map, with the costumes being more spread out among the maps.

Adventure maps unlock when you clear the previous one. Classic > Great Sea > Master Quest > Twilight > Termina.

There are 4 new characters coming to the Wii U version, and 2 new weapons. Medli is coming this month as a free update, with Marin coming in the summer as part of the season pass and then 2 more unannounced characters coming later in the year. Along with a new weapon for Linkle and Toon Link

Link_enfant

Ganon mode isn't in legends, all of the DLC weapons and Characters are unlockable on the original adventure map, with the costumes being more spread out among the maps.

Adventure maps unlock when you clear the previous one. Classic > Great Sea > Master Quest > Twilight > Termina.

There are 4 new characters coming to the Wii U version, and 2 new weapons. Medli is coming this month as a free update, with Marin coming in the summer as part of the season pass and then 2 more unannounced characters coming later in the year. Along with a new weapon for Linkle and Toon Link
Many thanks for the clarification. I wish Nintendo made it less confusing in general but well.
Too bad for the lack of Ganon mode in Legends, I'm glad I have both versions!

I've just finished the main story yesterday in Legends, so I still have a lot to do left like the
Cya story
, and those adventure maps are huge!

MANUELF

Banned
I just got the last weapons from the adventure map(zant level 3, summoning gate level 3 and great fairy level 3) now only skulltulas and heart pieces are left

I've been on the first adventure map for a while. I keep going to old levels to farm items to unlock hidden map stuff. Is there a good tactic for taking down the imprisioned? I can never get an A rank on levels that include them and a small room.

Also, when do I unlock the other adventure maps? Do I have to fill out all the spaces on the first one?

I've been on the first adventure map for a while. I keep going to old levels to farm items to unlock hidden map stuff. Is there a good tactic for taking down the imprisioned? I can never get an A rank on levels that include them and a small room.

Also, when do I unlock the other adventure maps? Do I have to fill out all the spaces on the first one?

You have to beat the mission where you defeat Ganon, its location on the Zelda 1 map is here:

Is there a good tactic for taking down the imprisioned? I can never get an A rank on levels that include them and a small room.
Taking too much damage? Use ranged attacks whenever possible. Dodge. A lot. You'll need it to go in, attack, and get out. The dodge frames are very generous.

Top Bottom