• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't believe how crap quality the Rise of the Tomb Raider CE was.

NastyBook

Hhh.JPG
Full circle again.

On the plus side, that face is hilarious. Show your friends and family! They will laugh at your pain!

Honestly, I with statues would finally wane from popularity. I'd rather have smaller, neater things and stuff you can use regularly like that Infamous 2 sling pack.

Replicant

steelbooks are superior and awesome, something you really have to check on before buying videogame LE's now days as I swear some companies call their metal case a "steel book" with a space which means it can be a nasty case.

Yes we do have to check these days, which is annoying. Sony seems to be the only one who really use Steelbook when they advertise Steelbook. Bamco, I don't trust with a 10-foot pole since they usually do Metal Case. SE usually gives Steelbook so this Tomb Raider incident is a shocker to me.

Interesting fact: ME3 CE in US got Metal Pack. ME3 CE in EU got Steelbook. :p

ev0

Yes we do have to check these days, which is annoying. Sony seems to be the only one who really use Steelbook when they advertise Steelbook. Bamco, I don't trust with a 10-foot pole since they usually do Metal Case. SE usually gives Steelbook so this Tomb Raider incident is a shocker to me.

Interesting fact: ME3 CE in US got Metal Pack. ME3 CE in EU got Steelbook. :p

Also funny. My first copy of Dragon Age 1 from Amazon was a Metalpak, arrived damaged in the mail. My replacement was a Steelbook.
I believe EU got the Steelbook and US was supposed to get all Metalpaks, so dunno what happened there.

I learned my lesson on the NA Bloodborne Collectors Edition.

1. It arrived 4 days after launch...(though amazon did give me a 20 dollar refund)
2. The lore book was shite, binding (glue) left a lot to be desired. Pages started falling out immediately

The steelbook was cool though. I threw everything out but it and the disc.

From now on, no more CE's....
except for Gran Turismo

Replicant

I learned my lesson on the NA Bloodborne Collectors Edition.

1. It arrived 4 days after launch...(though amazon did give me a 20 dollar refund)
2. The lore book was shite, binding (glue) left a lot to be desired. Pages started falling out immediately

The steelbook was cool though. I threw everything out but it and the disc. edit:... turns out it's a metal pack, not a steelbook............. sigh

Wait WAT? I got Steelbook for Bloodborne CE (from Amazon US). Did they replace that halfway through with Metal Pack?

Replicant

Just check again, I'm wrong. I do have a Steelbook. I was mistaking the BB case with a blu-ray I recently purchased.

Yeah, all Sony's Steelbooks I got are really Steelbooks, including Bloodborne. The only annoying thing about Sony's Steelbook is their tendency to print a HUGE ASS "PS4" letter on the Steelbook instead of on the plastic sleeve.

But I'm not touching Bamco's Souls series' CE because I know they're using Metal Packs. It's a lot less nasty than what's posted in the OP (WTF @ that removable plastic holder?) but still looks nasty.

I like collector's edition that has a replica of an item from the game's world.

For example Ni No Kuni. The CE includes a replica of the Wizard's Companion in the game.

Serious question, OP. Have you tried contacting them? Send them the picks and see what they say. Hell, I'm curious.

I was a bit disappointed with the Arkham Knight statue but for 40 dollars extra I'm not complaining. It's sitting at my desk and I get compliments on it.

plufim

I've learned via this forum never to trust CE unless it has an artbook and/or CD only. Mario Maker was my exception, but I could see the Amiibo quality before I got it.

I hate that CE is often a way to get extra cash from biggest fans, and yet reward them with utter trash. I feel for you OP, you deserve better. As does this franchise.

drotahorror

Anyone remember (or bought) one of The Order 1886 CE's? There were 2 of them, 2 different statues/w/e/they were. How were those? There were several MKX ones too I think.

Wasn't impressed with the Elise fig

fsAb.png

Maybe I'm asking too much but I find it hard to understand how poor the likenesses are. Rest of the fig looks decent though. It was on sale recently and was going to buy it then I saw the face.

edit:

Same deal with Arno, nothing like him
hsAb.jpg

Reminds me more of this guy, at least at this angle. Other angles looks like some random dude
isAb.jpg

Real shame, I was super tempted, even a basic likeness would be fine considering the cost.

carlsojo

The only CEs I still consistently buy are the Blizzard ones. They never disappoint. Except maybe Legacy of the Void since it didn't come with a mousepad >_> It still had a hardcover artbook, making of DVD, and soundtrack so meh. (Plus all the digital stuff) Wings of Liberty and D3 both had previous installments of their games included on flash drives which I thought was an awesome touch.

ItIsOkBro

because its a journal? like... for YOU to write in... was that confusing for people, that it would be a journal that you could use?

I would expect a relplica of her in-game journal..

Ya know, like if an Uncharted CE came with Drake's I wouldn't expect blank pages.

boltz

Damn, everyone just dogpiling on the CEs. There are some pretty good ones out there and with all the unboxing videos nowadays, it's easy to tell which is which.

KingV

Toys in general have been looking a lot worse than they use to.

neca's stuff use to look way better but they are looking so cheap now i hardly care to buy them.

A good mold for one toy can cost 10's of 1,000s of dollars.

Don't expect good looking toys unless you are paying decent money for them, those days are pretty much over as a lot of toys that look nice in this kind of market don't sell well enough perhaps.

Old mcfarlane stuff still looks way better than half the new stuff today.

All the good stuff is Japanese now.

S.H. Figuarts Star Wars toys are amazing.

Replicant

Anyone remember (or bought) one of The Order 1886 CE's? There were 2 of them, 2 different statues/w/e/they were. How were those? There were several MKX ones too I think.

The MKX Coarse one was FANTASTIC. I can't believe people prefer the other statue. The coarse one has a nice simplicity but also very clean sculpt. The statue looks exactly like how it was advertised. Pure quality through and through:

zrRHsq5.jpg

Ya know, like if an Uncharted CE came with Drake's I wouldn't expect blank pages.

The journal that came with Uncharted 2 CE was really impressive. It was pretty much a re-creation of Drake's journal in the game.

KiraXD

fsAb.png

Maybe I'm asking too much but I find it hard to understand how poor the likenesses are. Rest of the fig looks decent though. It was on sale recently and was going to buy it then I saw the face.

oh god the statue looks a million times better. Elise was one of the ugliest characters... something wrong with her eyes... like too far down and too far apart and too outwardly angled. She looked super derpy in-game.

I bought a Tony Daniel Wonder Woman statue and the paint job wasn't as bad as yours but it still didn't look nearly as good as advertised. The painting was kinda messy so that was my first and last experience purchasing figures until them bitches are painted by machines! No more humans!

zoozilla

Super detailed figures with perfect faces just aren't gonna be packed into a $150 CE.

Figures by dedicated figurine companies like Sideshow Collectibles start at $150 for the statue alone, but at least you know you're guaranteed a high quality product.

They're almost always the better option if you really want something you can put on a shelf.

That Lara face is hilarious, though.

spookyfish

That is the coolest collectors edition bonus I have ever seen. Hands down. I just went and looked on Amazon because that thing is so good I might want to get one. It's $140 for the 360 collectors edition (Don't care about the game.) That's almost worth it.

I hear you. I bought the Xbox One version from Amazon for $99 just for the statue. Played the game for a bit, but I just wanted the statue.

I nabbed this when it bombed in price to £20.

latest

Defiance.

The Hellbug statue is actually pretty decent (and much larger than the image implies) and since not human doesn't suffer the effed up faces that non promotional figures always receive.

The messenger bag is great quality, I've been using that thing for 2.5 years now on a near daily basis, that alone hasmore than made the purchase worth it.

Artbook was great quality too with lots to look at.

Shame the game was complete shit.

Steelbooks are garbage, period. They look nice but do the discs no favours.

Why anyone would want to have an expensive and treasured game disc in such a shitty case, with such a dangerous/difficult hub type is beyond me. I'd never pay extra for that garbage.

Mariolee

Is that statue part of the Collector's Edition because it'll be collecting dust in the basement where it belongs?

Exaggerating obviously, but still yikes that face.

Ratrat

fsAb.png

Am I crazy or does that look exactly like Quiet?

big_z

Looking at some unboxing's a few of the faces don't look quite as derpy. Seems like theres no consistency to the quality of the eyes some are more squinty and while others like the one the OP got look like she just sharted.

hirokazu

Companies know that collectors will pay out the rear for CE's just because they can't fight the urge to resist buying them. So naturally, they will make products as cheaply as possible so they can profit more.

It's a shame on their part, but unless people stop buying them, this will continue. Gamers need to do their part in this as well.
Yep. I kept coming back even though I've only been satisfied or impressed by less than 1 in 5 CEs I bought. I even bought the MGSV CE even though it was $250 and the arm wasn't even 1:1. Looks good quality in the photos, I said to myself.

Then when I got it and it was just cheap plastic that was scuffed and scratched out of the box... Yeah. Never again.

Top Bottom