• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just watched Avatar, and I have some thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
As the movie Avatar came out 7 years ago spoilers in this text will not be marked or hidden.

First off, I think I should state that on a technical level, and as a movie, Avatar is pretty good. As far as film making goes, James Cameron did well. On a visual front, there's lots of interesting art with bright colors and adroit animation. The movie has well defined bad guys and good guys, all the characters are distinct and play unambiguous roles, and the movie explores reasonably original science fantasy ideas. Even when one examines the often misunderstood concept of pacing (which in most movies means "how much can I afford to cut out because a guy in a suit told me the runtime is too long?") the movie does very well; Even though as a whole I think the movie might have been too drawn out, on a moment to moment basis it never feels like it's taking too long for what it's trying to do. New events come along at a rate that's not so fast that you lose track of what's happening, but not so slow that you've already understood the point of a scene and are just waiting for it to end.

But, when you move past the point of view of observing moviemaking technique, and start to look at the story the movie is trying to tell, things start to fall apart.

The most important issue that this movie has, which is something that as a viewer you can't even see until quite a ways in, is that the storytellers have misattributed the status of hero to several characters. As a viewer, you're supposed to think that these people are there to save the day, but the reason for this is nothing other than that they are the protagonists. One of the reasons this happens, it seems, is that the storytellers failed to acknowledge to themselves what these characters are doing in the world, in the story, or why they are there, and this has happened in spite of the fact that two different characters in the story bluntly state those things.

The worst offending characters are these two:
AuSs8GS.jpg

EbpwZPv.jpg

Both of these characters work for a mining company as part of a division that was established to study and communicate with the locals. Within the first 30 minutes of the movie, the audience it told why they're there through conversations these characters have with their bosses: make the locals understand that mining operations are happening and are not going to be held up. Convince them not to interfere or stand in the way, make sure that they understand that if they do they will be removed, and that any that resist will be killed. Even though the film makers make this abundantly clear by stating it twice in two separate scenes, the viewer is expected to completely forget about this around forty minutes in.

The problem of these two protagonists being framed as heroes isn't immediately clear, but it starts to show at the point when a time limit (which is also stated twice) is coming to a close and neither of these characters has done anything at all to let the people they're there to talk with know that their land has been seized and they're expected to be gone. It is stated, literally said by a character, that these two are part of a diplomatic team meant to attain mineral deposits, but neither of them does the one thing that diplomats are supposed to do: send messages back and forth between groups of people. Not only do they not tell the locals that their land is going to be taken, they don't tell them why it's going to be taken or even that the people that they work for want it. On top of that, they don't tell the mining company that the locals are still in place or that they're not going to move (or, more importantly, that the locals have no idea the miners are moving in to do their job and, you know, mine.)

Next we have Giovanni Ribisi:
TYzjxWP.jpg

His character isn't really an important kind of character. He's just a corporate muckety muck, the guy the mining company sent in to head up the mining. His job description could be summed up this way:
Go to the planet with the magic rocks, dig up the magic rocks, ship them back to Earth.
While the character isn't really a nice guy, the storytellers want the viewer to believe that he's a bad guy because he's doing the job that he's paid to do there. If you've forgotten what that is (since the film makers expect you to) let me remind you: dig up magic rocks and send them back to Earth.

Now, one issue that he's run in to while trying to dig for magic rocks is that there's an indigenous population that doesn't get why he or his miners are digging holes in the ground and strapping the magic rocks they find to rockets and sending them away. The local populace is technologically primitive, so from their point of view there's no reason to be digging up magic rocks and sending them into space. When you add on that they have a religion that is highly reverent of the value of the lives of woodland creatures and plants, they get pissy when guys in space suits start cutting down trees, killing space dogs, and using high explosives to get at these magic rocks that they see no reason to even mess with. So, since they think these invaders are a bunch of disrespectful murderous assholes, they've developed a tendency to kill them on sight. Which brings us to our next character.

Now, if you're the kind of corporate stooge that's surpassed the level of muckety muck and moved on to being a bigwig (and you have dreams of becoming a fatcat,) you'll hear about the guys you've hired to dig up magic rocks (which you sell for lots and lots and lots of money) getting killed by locals and think "holy shit! My cashflow!" You don't want locals messing with your cashflow, and since they're doing that by killing your miners, you're going to want to protect your miners. So you hire scarface up there to head up a mercenary team to keep the locals from killing your miners.

Much like mister muckey muck above, the storytellers want to frame this guy as a bad guy because he's doing the job he was hired to do. Now, since you've already forgotten what that is (because the writers etc.) let me remind you: When the miners are digging up magic rocks and strapping them to rockets, don't let the locals kill them. Since the people he's trying to protect the miners from are using lethal force, he's matching them in kind.

Now, for a moment we need to go back to mister muckety muck. He doesn't really give a flying fart about the locals, all he's there for is magic rocks and a paycheck. But, being a reasonable person, he doesn't want them to die if it's unnecessary. Life is valuable, even if you're a muckety muck. Since he doesn't want people to die needlessly (and the mercenaries that have been sent to pretect his miners are killing any natives they see) he decides to hire an anthopologist to reach out to the locals and get them them to
A) Stop killing miners
B) Vacate lands that have mineral deposits so that the miners don't scuffle with them
When he sends out the job notice he really hits paydirt when he stubles on Sigourney Weaver, because not only is she an anthropologist, she's also a genius bioligist, neurologist, electrophysicist and all around scientific polymath wonderkind. She gets on site and starts getting shit done: She learns the local language, develops incredible insight into the local culture, starts figuiring out crazy facts about the local flora and fauna and how they function, starts cataloging local life forms of all types, and sets up a whole science team to keep all of these facets of research progressing.

It must be that one day, when the issue of the actual job she's there to do (remember, since you're supposed to have forgotten: stop miners from getting killed, secure rich land) she suggested a Trojan Horse. With her skills in biology, neurology, and electro engineering, she has come up with an idea: splice the genes of the natives with those of capable members of her science team and create hybrid clones which can be controlled by the human side genetic donor through a neural-telepathic link. This would make diplomatic relations much easier, she says, because they wouln't have to deal with xenophobic reactions by the natives; these clones would look and sound just like them. Imagine how mister muckety muck must have reacted to this; he must have had spontaneos ejaculative orgasms until his genitals burst. "Fuck the cost" he must have said to the bigwigs, "we'll get these natives to stop attacking us and give up any land we want within a year!"

But when the movie starts it's obvious this hasn't worked. Not only have relations with the natives not improved, we're told that it's been several years (at least) since this program started, and Sigourney Weaver not only hasn't gotten the natives to stop attacking the miners, she's gotten herself barred from their lands. Now, the implication from the storytellers is that this is due to the miners aggressivly pushing onto the lands of the natives, and mercenaries killing natives indescriminately, but I don't think that's really the case.

One thing that's very clear throughout the movie is that during no part of the story that we directly see does Weaver or any member of her team make any attempt to communicate with the locals, tell them what the miners are going to do, or ask them to leave the miners alone. What's more, when she finds out that the mercenaries, tired of skirmishes with locals, have reached out the newest member of her team and asked him to do those things after he shows an uncanny ability to get along with the natives, she not only discourages him from doing them (which is his job,) she picks her whole team up and moves them to a different physical location so that corporate and the mercenaries have less influence over him. She doesn't even hide that that's why she's doing this, she says directly to this team member that she doesn't want her team being micromanaged by the other parts of the outfit.

In fact, any time we see her doing anything, it has to do with secondary and tertiary functions of her role there; she's always catalogging native wild life and running studies on it, never reaching out to the local people and trying to build relations. The only historical instance of her interacting with the locals has less to do with easing tensions with them and more with her own identity as an itellectual: in the past, she set up a school for the children of the nearest local tribe, something it seems that neither the company nor the natives asked her to do. It seems that her only real desire, her only driving motivation, is to do things which build up her reputation as a scientist. It seems like she wants to write papers and send back studies which make it look like she's a trailblazer in this new, exotic frontier, but anything that doesn't directly help her stroke her own anthropologist/ecologist boner is something she will not do.

So, when we look back on the idea that miners are carelessly stomping all over the natives important, holy, sacred, or even just heavily used places, and the mercenaries are blatantly murdering any natives they find to make room for the miners, I do have to ask if that would be the case if there was any communication going back and forth between the mining company and the locals. And since the person the company hired to communicate with the locals never does any communicating with the locals, it's impossible to know.

Next I'll discuss the Australian guy. I'd explain his origin, but it's insubstantial. He exists because the story needs a main protagonist, and that's his entire function. Anyway, after it's explained to him that the purpose of the team he's on is to keep open diplomatic channels with the local populace and improve relations with them, he goes out with the rest of the team and Sigourney Weaver makes sure they do absolutely no diplomacy. Blah blah blah, he gets separated and Pocahontas Zoë Saldana stumbles upon him. She has snuck up on him, has an arrow knocked and is about to murder him for no reason whatsoever when some hippy bullshit happens and she changes her mind. Segue to more hippy bullshit and now she has to take him to meet her parents. What a meetcute!

Anyway, he gets back to the mining base, explains everything that happened, and this is when the mercenaries make their overture to him about actually getting done what Sigourney Weaver is supposed to have been doing but refuses to do. He says "hey, that's a great idea" and then proceeds to also refuse to communicate with the locals for no apparent reason.

I would like to go on about other issues the story has, but it would mostly amount to me transcribing large segments of the plot. The story really never gets past the fundamental issue that there are characters who could be making things better for everyone involved, but they just won't do it. Now, that's not a bad thing per se, if the filmmakers had taken a closer look at why those characters were making the decisions they were, and told the story in a more honest light and shown much of the bloodshed to be a result of the failures of a few people to fulfil the function they've been hired for. This could have been a really interesting, gritty look at the breakdown of relations between two societies that have recently met, set in a new, intersting scifan setting. But that's not the story they told; they took a common scenario and made a really cliched story out of it, while trying to push the blame for all the problems onto characters who are easy to villainize, but weren't actually the reason so much of what occured happened.

After the credits rolled, I couldn't shake the feeling that Sigourney Weaver and the Australian guy were the real villains of this movie. They kept acting like (and Weaver kept saying) that they had the interests of the Navi in mind, but they never gave the Navi any headsup about the mining company, and never advocated to the mining company on behalf of the Navi. When they knew (because once again they were litterally told) that the Navi would be displaced, and it would be violent and lethal if necessary, they never did anything to keep it from happening. They never asked for more time, they never searched for alternate solutions, they never warned the Navi that they should leave.

In fact, the Australian guy implores the Navi to fight back in one scene, to stand their ground using bows and arrows against enemies who have machine guns, airplanes, and bombs. What kind of person claims to care about a group of people, but tells them to fight a battle that they are technologically incapable of winning, knowing full well that the only outcome is that all of them would die? From that moment forward, I could only see the Australian guy as some kind of mustache twirling psychopath, hellbent on getting his supposed friends murdered while he watched. The only reason the Navi won that battle is because James Cameron very conveniently pulled a victory for them out of his ass.
(One of the science fantasy elements of the world of this story is the ability of the natives to brain fuck each other, their magic horses, their flying magic horses, and dragon horses. This particular ass pull was achieved when the Australian guy brain fucked with a tree and told it that everybody was gonna die if all the animals didn't help with the battle. It was much stupider than it sounds, considering he didn't even know it would work.)

you are over thinking and analyzing the movie . It was spectacle movie nothing else. The same story has been told many times before. Frankly I did not enjoy the movie at all. Most the characters were one sided.

Sulik2

What a lovely refreshing criticism of Avatar. Instead of complaining about Pocahontas similitaries you came up with a story critique I have never seen discussed before. Why didnt the diplomats ever try diplomacy? I think you were supposed to assume they tried in the past but it was never shown. But it does make sigourney weaver seem villainous.

TheXbox

I like the part where Jake's girlfriend leaves him for dead after betraying her race and then forgives him when he swoops in on a fat bird.

Xero

you are over thinking and analyzing the movie . It was spectacle movie nothing else. The same story has been told many times before. Frankly I did not enjoy the movie at all.

Same opinion but I loved the movie. Movies are a visual medium, so a movie can still succeed as a more visual piece with a story to carry it along, in that regard the world building and visual feast of Avatar absolutely delivered. The story wasn't wholly original, but as a vessel to build this world for us it succeeded in its role.

Razorback

Good points. Don't have anything to add to the conversation, just want people to know that I read the whole thing.

The worst part about all this is that Cameron's original treatment written in the 90s was AWESOME. Its fixed virtually every plot hole presented here, fleshed out all the characters (especially the walking cliche that was Quaritch) was nowhere near as cliche and the alien creatures actually looked ALIEN rather than just dinosaurs/horses and dogs with extra limbs.

LionPride

Banned
This is a movie that I love for the technical aspect of everything, but hate in regards to literally everything else. It's just bad man

The worst part about all this is that Cameron's original treatment written in the 90s was AWESOME. Its fixed virtually every plot hole presented here, fleshed out all the characters (especially the walking cliche that was Quaritch) was nowhere near as cliche and the alien creatures actually looked ALIEN rather than just dinosaurs/horses and dogs with extra limbs.

That part is such truth. I do not know how anyone can say design is original of any of the monster. They just added either one more leg or hand or eye.Dragons were standard dragon design. Horse had more legs. It was such a bad design. And navi were big people with blue colour and tail. unique thing for them being sex via hair lol.

DavidDesu

I feel like you're fixating on your one main gripe while forgetting these characters are emotional and are operating on their emotions. while I've not watched it in a while I cannot possibly believe that they don't make it pretty clear at some point in the movie that diplomacy has basically failed and the Navi aren't listening anymore. And I'm pretty sure Jake does eventually reveal to them the severity of their plight.

He becomes emotionally involved in their species and indeed even emotionally attached to his new body (remember his real body is disabled). Avatar is far from a perfect film but I feel it gets criticised way too much. You're obviously not a fan of the "hippy dippy shit" you keep mentioning it in that tone. I feel that one element of the film is the first thing picked upon, which is a real shame, and really highlights what the film is trying to say and how it contrasts with the people that just don't appreciate that outlook on life. The film shows just what atrocities our modern capitalist way of life brings, and shows how entire civilisations have been trodden over and wiped out because of it.

My main takeaway from the film came from that ending. This man literally chose to stop being human anymore, he was so disgusted by it and so enamoured in the alternative which he had that he made that choice to stop being human. I genuinely found that a really profound notion and it lingered with me long after the film ended. Totally unfairly bashed film as far as I'm concerned.

The only thing I'd really change would be toning down the main army villain, he was like a parody of the kind of character they were going for, it didn't need to be that obviously portrayed and he would have been an even more repugnant character if he'd been played straighter.

jett

D-Member
It's not a deep movie, it's pure blockbuster spectacle, but done extremely well as you noted. The movie Cameron finally made just was never going to address the diplomatic and social issues of encountering and engaging with an alien species. That would be a cool idea.

maomaoIYP

It's a classic "white man savior" movie trope. Navi (the primitive savages) are too fucking dumb to figure out how to unite and save themselves until a white man swoops in literally to lead them.

I hated it.

Rest

I feel like you're fixating on your one main gripe while forgetting these characters are emotional and are operating on their emotions. while I've not watched it in a while I cannot possibly believe that they don't make it pretty clear at some point in the movie that diplomacy has basically failed and the Navi aren't listening anymore. And I'm pretty sure Jake does eventually reveal to them the severity of their plight.

I don't think that it's ever stated that the Navi have stopped listening, I can see how it is implied in a few places, but it wasn't really fleshed out enough to know for sure.

And you're right, he does tell them that the miners are going to come and destroy their city. He tells them while it's happening, like every villain from every cartoon ever. The guy, if nothing else, didn't really care about the Navi.

Boney

Banned
They're mining for unobtanium ffs

It's a movie made for morons and the reason it did so good. 7 years yeesh

Rest

It's a classic "white man savior" movie trope. Navi (the primitive savages) are too fucking dumb to figure out how to unite and save themselves until a white man swoops in literally to lead them.

I hated it.

I hadn't noticed that, I was seeing more the Magical Indian trope with the Navi. Also, since I felt like he was doing more to hurt them than help them I didn't see him as a savior.

PSqueak

Banned
Next we have Giovanni Ribisi:
TYzjxWP.jpg

His character isn't really an important kind of character. He's just a corporate muckety muck, the guy the mining company sent in to head up the mining. His job description could be summed up this way:
Go to the planet with the magic rocks, dig up the magic rocks, ship them back to Earth.
While the character isn't really a nice guy, the storytellers want the viewer to believe that he's a bad guy because he's doing the job that he's paid to do there. If you've forgotten what that is (since the film makers expect you to) let me remind you: dig up magic rocks and send them back to Earth.

My problem with this guy is when he asks grace to explain why they shouldn't destroy the tree, the fucking scene goes something like this:

CEO guy: okay ms. Sciency smarty pants who has all the degrees known to humankind because you're the smartest person in the universe and that's why we hire you to study the shit out of this planet with hat gigantic brain of yours, tell me why i shouldn't destroy the tree.

Grace: Regardless of these ass backwards savage religious beliefs, the tree functions as a gigantic data base that the inhabitants of pandora have evolved to be able to access, downloading and uploading information in a chemical level and allowing communication between the flora and fauna of the planet, basically its a fucking biological internet and if we are able to tap into this fucking awesome system it will revolutionize comunications on a planet wide scale, and this shit is HARD SCIENCE i can verify with all the fucking data and research you have been paying me to conduct and extract!

CEO Guy: lol, u crazy bitch, let's destroy the tree!

Rest

My problem with this guy is when he asks grace to explain why they shouldn't destroy the tree, the fucking scene goes something like this:

CEO guy: okay ms. Sciency smarty pants who has all the degrees known to humankind because you're the smartest person in the universe and that's why we hire you to study the shit out of this planet with hat gigantic brain of yours, tell me why i shouldn't destroy the tree.

Grace: Regardless of these ass backwards savage religious beliefs, the tree functions as a gigantic data base that the inhabitants of pandora have evolved to be able to access, downloading and uploading information in a chemical level and allowing communication between the flora and fauna of the planet, basically its a fucking biological internet and if we are able to tap into this fucking awesome system it will revolutionize comunications on a planet wide scale, and this shit is HARD SCIENCE i can verify with all the fucking data and research you have been paying me to conduct and extract!

CEO Guy: lol, u crazy bitch, let's destroy the tree!
But she stated it wasn't the only one, and this wasn't even the super magical super tree of super internets, it was just a big magical tree they lived in. Plus, all the trees were internet trees, she gave him no reason not to go after the giant pile of magic rocks under this particular tree.

For example, she could have made suggestions that would have saved the tree and allowed them to get the magic rocks under it. She made no mention of alternate mining methods; at the beginning we see giant ore haulers, and later on we see giant bulldozers, which mean they mostly did open pit mining. She could have suggested they used oldschool tunnel mining to get under the tree city without damaging it. She didn't even try to convince them to do anything else. Again, she didn't do anything diplomatic, like try to find a compromise that would help the people she claimed she wanted to protect.

To my mind, the conversation went more like this:
"No, no, don't hurt internet tree city!"
"Well, yeah, but money..."
"No, you can't hurt internet tree city!"
"Yeah, but still money. So, money."

Blues1990

What bugged me the most about the ending, is that it implied that the earthlings had waved the white flag & would never return, while the Na'vi went all "Kum By Ya" & shit.

The funny thing about our species, is that if we want something, we will do ANYTHING to obtain it. What's stopping the Earth's governments to unleash their full military might on that planet?

Dipper145

I like the part where Jake's girlfriend leaves him for dead after betraying her race and then forgives him when he swoops in on a fat bird.

I mean when you come in with a whip like that, who could resist?

Even Jake's girlfriend's intended husband changed his mind.

aadiboy

What bugged me the most about the ending, is that it implied that the earthlings had waved the white flag & would never return, while the Na'vi went all "Kum By Ya" & shit.

The funny thing about our species, is that if we want something, we will do ANYTHING to obtain it. What's stopping the Earth's governments to unleash their full military might on that planet?
Well, there are several sequels coming out, maybe your question will be answered there?

Rest

I was thinking the same thing, but I don't think the government would need to get directly involved. They acted like that was the end, but that company would come back, and with an actual army of mercenaries, not just a small team.

And, I wonder what laws there are to protect indigenous life from prospectors and miners? If there are none, they'd just come right back and start murdering everything, but I think it would be much worse than that.

A mining company is exactly the kind of group that would be able to buy uranium on Earth, Uranium is a lot harder and denser than steel, so they'd be able to say "when we go back, we're going to need uranium tooling on our drills to make a profit" or some other excuse. Once their ships were out in the void, where there aren't any laws, I think they'd start enriching it and making bombs. The Navi are fucked.

Solid blockbuster. I'm not enamored with it or anything but I think it was a very enjoyable time in theaters. It's certainly better than most of the big movies weve seen every year since.

Exotoro

Is there anywhere i can check this out?

jelly

The humans turn up for ground warfare but it's all underwater now, in your face humans, you brought the wrong tools!

SeanC

It's a big well-made blockbuster that rests its story and characters on the tropes and archetypes Cameron has always relied on and works well under. He didn't push any boundaries there, (he hasn't in some time), but in making a big space-war-spectacle and focusing on action and world-building which has always been his strengths, he did pretty darn good.

I like that you didn't once say "Errr..it's a Ferngully ripoff" like some hack critics, BTW. You bring up points and actually explore them, I appreciate that.

mantidor

I didn't even liked the only salvageable part of the film, the visuals. The alien designs were so uninspired and generic, the Navi weren't particularly interesting as aliens either, neither was the technology shown. You have zero reasons to care about anything or anyone presented here, it's just a marvel of marketing and spectacle.

Giolon

They're mining for unobtanium ffs

It's a movie made for morons and the reason it did so good. 7 years yeesh

This made me laugh more than what it should.

Fucking dumb movie.

It's an actual word and scientific concept. What specifically it is or is called doesn't matter in the least to the story. I'll admit it does sound kind of goofy.

Also, OP seems to have missed the part of the story that Jake and Grace's mission is to get the Navi to trust them, so they can convince them to move. It's said in the story, and expanded upon in the extended edition, that trust is at an all time low because of an incident where the company guns came in and mowed down a school of Navi children that was being run by Grace to teach them English (and presumably about humanity).

darscot

Holy shit TLDR, Avatar is the definition of a Spectacle movie. Kick back and enjoy the show, you don't break it down.

It's not a deep movie, it's pure blockbuster spectacle, but done extremely well as you noted. The movie Cameron finally made just was never going to address the diplomatic and social issues of encountering and engaging with an alien species. That would be a cool idea.
But didn't he do that well with Abyss?

lead_large.jpg

I was under the impression they did try to negotiate relocating the natives but Sigourney Weaver and her team had basically written off negotiation once the Navi revealed that the giant tree, in addition to their home, was also the center to their brain connection to the planet. Business guy either didn't understand or didn't care; he wants the rocks under the tree which is why he basically sidelines the science people and goes to the Marines.

Real negotiation was never an option, it was implied they'd already mined a lot of the surrounding area for unobtanium but the demand was still there and the largest, purest deposits where in the one place the natives wouldn't let them go.

What always got me was that they chased away the humans, sure, but apparently Weaver didn't bring any history books with her when she was teaching the alien kids or else she'd know that natives using force to deter human business efforts never, ever ends well for the natives. Especially when the settlers are desperate. The odds are good 20 years later humanity shows up again only this time with a fleet of warships, nuking the planet from orbit and taking the unobtanium unopposed.

That or Jake Sully just condemned all of humanity to extinction for alien poontang.

mantidor

But didn't he do that well with Abyss?

lead_large.jpg

The alternative ending of that movie is pretty much what a 12 year old hopeful would come up with, I felt pretty embarrassed to be honest, thankfully someone was smart enough to cut it. And I say this as someone who loves the movie.

So basically no, it was more about how a small group of people would deal with aliens, but not the social/religious/economic implications of it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Avatar was an amazing visual experience in 3D in the theater at release. And that's about it. But I really enjoyed it back then. Watching it on a TV just isn't the same.

Rest

For the record, I will state that I haven't seen it and have no desire to do so either.
You don't really need to. It would be something good to have on in the background at a party or something.

Lurch666

Part of the problem with communicating with the locals is that they don't take anyone serious who isn't a member of the tribe.that's why they only listened to the main dude when he had passed into 'manhood' by taming a flying dragon thing.

The problem I have is that the biggest unobtainium deposits within 200 klicks was under the home tree.Why didn't they just go mining somewhere else there was a big deposit?They could have just set up another mine in an uninhabited part of the planter with good deposits.

Rest

Part of the problem with communicating with the locals is that they don't take anyone serious who isn't a member of the tribe.that's why they only listened to the main dude when he had passed into 'manhood' by taming a flying dragon thing.

The problem I have is that the biggest unobtainium deposits within 200 klicks was under the home tree.Why didn't they just go mining somewhere else there was a big deposit?They could have just set up another mine in an uninhabited part of the planter with good deposits.
They're not bad enough badguys if they're not displacing helpless natives. I mean, how can you give indians smallpox blankets if you haven't sent them on a forced march out of their own land?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom