• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

appaws

Banned
Here is my new build:

i7 4790k
Gigabyte Z97x SOC motherboard
Coolermaster 212 evo
Fractal Define R4
G.Skill 16GB RAM
GTX 980
EVGA 850w modular PSU
This was my first real attempt at cable management. You don't want to see my last build.

Looks nice. Congrats!

Decided to re-wire my PC. Remind me to never attempt cable management on my Mid-Tower case again. Moving to Full-Tower asap. Lol

If you want it to really be easy, try in an Air 540.....makes everyone an instant cable management genius!

I have a small amount of coil whine in my new gigabyte 970, but I can only hear it when I put my ear RIGHT up against the left side of the card and it's under full load. And it's more of a very faint lower-pitched buzz. I'm probably able to hear it easier because it's 6 inches next to me in a temporary out-of-case build haha, and since the damn card makes almost zero noise otherwise.

I don't have experience with this... can they get much worse over time? I feel like I'll just deal with it no problem if it stays as is. It's so faint, it might not even be coil whine as the videos I looked up on youtube were really loud and terrible sounding. Like sand in a jet turbine. If I throw this guy in a case and move it a couple feet away, there's no way I'd hear a peep.

MoonGred

With Shadows of Mordor needing 6GB of VRAM for Ultra settings...this thread is about to become even more flooded with "can I run Witcher 3" posts!

That shadow of mordor thread is hilarious. I'm still surprised you didn't cave and buy a 970sli setup just for laughs.

Thrakier

I have a small amount of coil whine in my new gigabyte 970, but I can only hear it when I put my ear RIGHT up against the left side of the card and it's under full load. And it's more of a very faint lower-pitched buzz. I'm probably able to hear it easier because it's 6 inches next to me in a temporary out-of-case build haha, and since the damn card makes almost zero noise otherwise.

I don't have experience with this... can they get much worse over time? I feel like I'll just deal with it no problem if it stays as is. It's so faint, it might not even be coil whine as the videos I looked up on youtube were really loud and terrible sounding. Like sand in a jet turbine. If I throw this guy in a case and move it a couple feet away, there's no way I'd hear a peep.

Don't bother. You won't find one without coil whine anyway. This coil whine discussion goes back for years and years and years. It seems like there is no way for Nvidia to fix it...

Ugh, I hate how I bought a 550W psu yesterday. then I checked amazon to track my package and accidentally saw its 650W version got its price cut down to the price I paid for the 550W version.
6uHFm.png

Evo X

has anyone used Zotac video cards before? My first one died and is being sent for, hopefully, a replacement. Was that just a fluke, are they usually good?

I had a Zotac GTX 570 a while back. Had to raise voltage so it wouldn't crash at stock clocks. Never buying another one.

Ugh, I hate how I bought a 550W psu yesterday. then I checked amazon to track my package and accidentally saw its 650W version got its price cut down to the price I paid for the 550W version.
6uHFm.png

Amazon has great customer service. Contact them and I'm sure they'll sort it out.

I had a Zotac GTX 570 a while back. Had to raise voltage so it wouldn't crash at stock clocks. Never buying another one.

Amazon has great customer service. Contact them and I'm sure they'll sort it out.

Im gonna try. And correction, the 650W version today is actually $5 cheaper than what I paid for my version lol. If I somehow get $5 back i'll be thankful.

Evo X

Im gonna try. And correction, the 650W version today is actually $5 cheaper than what I paid for my version lol. If I somehow get $5 back i'll be thankful.

Bro, you'll be fine. Amazon is giving me a full refund for a 780Ti I bought in November of last year. Card works perfectly fine. I told them my reason of returning is that I want a GTX 980 as it's more power efficient. They're even paying for return shipping. I'm honestly amazed. What more could you ask for from a company?

jfoul

6uHFm.png

If you have the money, just order the 650W and return the 550W when it shows up. Amazon returns are usually no questions asked, and the refund will usually take around a week. You can create the return and print out the free return label in your account options.

Just chatted with Mohit, he Issued a refun for the PSU I bought even before it got here. Ordered the 650W ASAP right after the chat. Amazing.
Amazon...
youtherealmvp-300x166.jpg

axb2013

Nvidia caught me off guard with the 980/970. I expected a performance bump or a power requirement decrease but definitely not both. I bought and shelved this PSU (overkill for my current system) a long time ago, got it cheap (~$60) on HARD FS/T forums: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=101 First PSU to score a 10 for performance.

After the 295X2 came out, I figured I would have to step up for a future proof PSU. Not in a rush to build a new rig but definitely nice to see that an old PSU may become relevant again.

Evo X

Nvidia caught me off guard with the 980/970. I expected a performance bump or a power requirement decrease but definitely not both. I bought and shelved this PSU (overkill for my current system) a long time ago, got it cheap (~$60) on HARD FS/T forums: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=101 First PSU to score a 10 for performance.

After the 295X2 came out, I figured I would have to step up for a future proof PSU. Not in a rush to build a new rig but definitely nice to see that an old PSU may become relevant again.

That PSU will have no problems running 980 SLI if you wanted.

So I should finally get around to building that new PC soon but have a few Q's about the Haswell-E:

- Are there any good m-ITX mobo's around for them?
- Is the scoket gonna get replaced with the next gen of processor?

I only ask because I could comfortably hold off on the upgrade until into next year if a new socket is likely to be released with the next wave of chips. All talk I've seen suggest it could be quite a step forward from these latest chips.

I need some advice on sound from my PC. I'm planning to get a FiiO E7K so that I can plug my Corsair 1300 into it to make it sound better. I want to know if it's possible to connect my monitor to the FiiO so that I can use the FiiO when playing console games.

Is it possible to connect an audio cable from my monitor to the aux port on the FiiO and then have my headset and speakers coming out of the two output jacks on the FiiO?

Shaldome

Turned my computer on yesterday after work and after about an hour the screen got green/white and then the computer would not come back up after a restart. Turned out there was water on the board of the upper GPU and I have no idea where it came from. CPU water block and all fittings were dry.
I tried to start again this morning after letting it dry over the night, but still nothing. With some luck only the "wet" GPU is dead and the other is still working.
That is the disadvantage of water cooling your GPU(s): it is a hassle get them out if you have to test something.

Apt101

Building a Linux box with my spare parts. Is there a consensus on the best distro for Steam? I just assumed Ubuntu but figured I'd ask around. I also don't want to run SteamOS until it's more mature.

i7-2600, 8 GB RAM, and a GTX 750 1GB. I figure that's more than enough for productivity and light gaming.

ricki42

Building a Linux box with my spare parts. Is there a consensus on the best distro for Steam? I just assumed Ubuntu but figured I'd ask around. I also don't want to run SteamOS until it's more mature.

i7-2600, 8 GB RAM, and a GTX 750 1GB. I figure that's more than enough for productivity and light gaming.

I'm running Ubuntu on my PC and Fedora on my laptop. I have steam running on both. I think the Ubuntu package is directly provided by steam, while the Fedora one is build by the community; not sure if that is still the case.
List of distros that have prebuild packages available. You can also get the unpackaged version.

GOG has .deb packages for Ubuntu and Mint, and tarball archives for everything else. I have so far only tried the tarball on Fedora for games that run in dosbox and those worked just fine.

I prefer Fedora for some work stuff which I found easier to install than on Ubuntu, but went with Ubuntu on the gaming PC because of the better support from GOG and steam.

Specifically, I went with Xubuntu, the Xfce version, because I can't stand Unity which is the default desktop for Ubuntu. Unity uses the compiz compositing manager which can cause problems with all the 3D stuff it does. Xfce is a lot lighter and still very nicely customizable.

I think in the end you can probably go with whatever distro you like best, but if you don't have any preferences, (X/L)Ubuntu or Mint are maybe slightly better for gaming.

Prez

So I should finally get around to building that new PC soon but have a few Q's about the Haswell-E:

- Are there any good m-ITX mobo's around for them?
- Is the scoket gonna get replaced with the next gen of processor?

I only ask because I could comfortably hold off on the upgrade until into next year if a new socket is likely to be released with the next wave of chips. All talk I've seen suggest it could be quite a step forward from these latest chips.

I think I might wait another year too. Both Intell and AMD (the Beema chip in particular) are supposed to release much better CPUs by then. I'm specifically interested in Beema which will be only 15W and whatever AM1 version they release should be more powerful than the 5350. I'm just wondering how soon/late the next processors will come out.

Tendo

I'm looking to do a brand new build as many of my parts are old and I have the money so why not just start fresh for the most part. I'm looking at the enthusiast build but now I'll still, at least for right now, be gaming at 1080p. Is the 780 overkill, or with "next gen" consoles would it be worth it to get the 780 3gb? I've found some on newegg that'll be 489 after rebate.

I'm looking to do a brand new build as many of my parts are old and I have the money so why not just start fresh for the most part. I'm looking at the enthusiast build but now I'll still, at least for right now, be gaming at 1080p. Is the 780 overkill, or with "next gen" consoles would it be worth it to get the 780 3gb? I've found some on newegg that'll be 489 after rebate.

You can get a 970 3gb for $330-360, that would be better wouldn't it?

Apt101

I'm running Ubuntu on my PC and Fedora on my laptop. I have steam running on both. I think the Ubuntu package is directly provided by steam, while the Fedora one is build by the community; not sure if that is still the case.
List of distros that have prebuild packages available. You can also get the unpackaged version.

GOG has .deb packages for Ubuntu and Mint, and tarball archives for everything else. I have so far only tried the tarball on Fedora for games that run in dosbox and those worked just fine.

I prefer Fedora for some work stuff which I found easier to install than on Ubuntu, but went with Ubuntu on the gaming PC because of the better support from GOG and steam.

Specifically, I went with Xubuntu, the Xfce version, because I can't stand Unity which is the default desktop for Ubuntu. Unity uses the compiz compositing manager which can cause problems with all the 3D stuff it does. Xfce is a lot lighter and still very nicely customizable.

I think in the end you can probably go with whatever distro you like best, but if you don't have any preferences, (X/L)Ubuntu or Mint are maybe slightly better for gaming.

Thanks, I'll give them all a second look. I used to work with Redhat Ent Linux which, aside from some support options, was the same as Fedora if I recall - so I was a bit partial to that at first. Hell I'll just dual boot both that and Ubuntu and see which works out better for me prior to settling.

DontBlink

I will finally be upgrading my PC sometime within the next 2 months and so far I only have my eye on a 970, but still need to figure out which mb and cpu to get.

Would this comobo of 4690K and GA-Z97X be a good choice or should I go for something better, since I plan to use this set up for probably at least 3 years?

shandy706

Alright guys, just realized I that it has only been 86 days since I bought my EVGA GTX 780.

So I should be able to "step-up" correct? (and pay the difference)

Which version of the 980 should I get?

Both of these are the same price.

Dual or single fan design???

ricki42

Thanks, I'll give them all a second look. I used to work with Redhat Ent Linux which, aside from some support options, was the same as Fedora if I recall - so I was a bit partial to that at first.

I think Fedora and Red Hat are largely compatible; I think I once installed a Red Hat package in Fedora. Fedora is sort of a testbench for Red Hat and usually has slightly newer versions of packages. I don't know where Red Hat is currently at, but my Ubuntu installation is on kernel 3.13.0, while Fedora is on 3.14.17. So Fedora often has bug fixes and new features earlier. Of course you might also get new bugs earlier; personally I haven't had problems on Fedora though.

Hell I'll just dual boot both that and Ubuntu and see which works out better for me prior to settling.

If you want to test different desktops, just use a live CD iso on a thumbdrive. This is really down to personal preference. I tested a number of desktops before settling on Xfce.
Testing the actual distro is of course difficult just from a live cd, but as you say, you can just install as many as you want.

turnernader

Neo Member
Hey just got my PC build last night. will post pictures when i get all the cable management taken care of. Was able to use the spreadsheet from the OP. Thanks for the time and effort that was out into that to make it very easy to know what i want.

I5 4690
ASRock Z97 anniversary
NXZT phantom 410
G skill 8GB ram
GTX 750 superclocked
EVGA 500w PSU
320 GB WD blue hard drive and a separate 660 GB storage drive (plan on upgrading to an SSD around christmas

This is my first build so i was pretty excited to get everything in place last night. Anyone have any programs that are must have for gaming or just to have?

khaaan

I'm thinking of making a retro console emulator box for my TV, do you guys think I could get away with no graphics card and a good processor? I was thinking some something like an i5-3570k. I'm looking to Emulate NES, SNES, Genesis, and PS1 primarily. I wouldn't be using something like Higan. I imagine I could even go with an i3 and have no problem since my cheap laptop from four or five years ago does a decent job running those.

Anyone have overall build suggestions? Would an i5 be overkill? What if I also wanted PS2 and Arcade games? Would there be a significant cost increase? Is that UI that people mention every now and then (XBMC) intensive enough to have an impact?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Alright guys, just realized I that it has only been 86 days since I bought my EVGA GTX 780.

So I should be able to "step-up" correct? (and pay the difference)

Which version of the 980 should I get?

Both of these are the same price.

Dual or single fan design???

Did you register for the warranty? You also need to move fast - you have four days left in the window:

Register your Limited Lifetime Warranty product purchased new from an authorized reseller within 90 days of your original purchase date.
Register your qualifying 3 Year Warranty product purchased new from an authorized reseller within 14 days of your original purchase date.
If you should happen to miss your 14 day registration window on your qualifying 3 Year Warranty product then you may also purchase an extended warranty within 90 days of your original purchase date to enable the Step-Up option.
Don't worry, your Extended Warranty and Advanced RMA (EAR) purchases now transfers to your new Step-Up product!
The EVGA Step-Up program is currently only available to residents of the United States, Canada, and EU Countries.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hey guys, im about to pull the plug on this, anything I should know beforehand?

CPU I5 4690K 1150 3.53.9G 6MB 4C4T 88W IN BOX
MB GIGABYTE Z97X-GAMING 5 LGA1150 4DDRIII CF SLI DSUB DVID
Dimm KINGSTON 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866Mhz CL10 HyperX Predator
SSD SAMSUNG 2.5P 120GB SATA 3 Série 840 Evo Basic
HDD 3.5P SEAGATE 2TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA3
Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium

and then a gtx970, which im now wondering if Ill just wait for the 8gb versions

Saad

I hate the PSU that comes with the EVGA Hadron case.
To clarify, I don't do much PC gaming except for indies and as far as I was concerned, everything was going fine.
The real issue comes when I try to run a demanding game, the PSU fan goes insanely noisy as if it's going to explode. I bought rubber feet for the case trying to get a better air flow for the case but no difference. And since the PSU is custom made for the case, changing it isn't a valid option.

Now, I'm thinking about changing the whole case. Any suggestions for Mini-ITX cases?

More SSDs and/or HDDs? If just SSDs, you can put / tape them anymore. Then, you can remove the center drive cage.

Probably more HDDs. I do some video editing/photography with some chunky files and I have 1200 games on steam with not the fastest internet so I like to keep backups of larger games. That way when I feel the need to install one, I don't have to waste half my day off waiting for it to download.

plenilune

Is it worth upgrading my 3 year old i7 2600k?
I have a GTX 760 and don't want my CPU to be bottlenecking.
I just OC'd my 2600k for the first time today, went from 3.8GHz to 4.141GHz. Maybe I'll get another year or so out of it.

IMACOMPUTA

One thing I'm noticing is that when I'm downloading something on Steam my PC runs like SHIT.
Stutters, slow, especially if I'm playing a game.

What can I do to prevent this?

g3258 @ 4.3ghz
4gb ram
500gb 7200rpm seagate hdd (16mb cache, 3.0 gb/s)

Is this a processor, ram, or a hdd thing?
Anyone?

To clarify, I don't do much PC gaming except for indies and as far as I was concerned, everything was going fine.
The real issue comes when I try to run a demanding game, the PSU fan goes insanely noisy as if it's going to explode. I bought rubber feet for the case trying to get a better air flow for the case but no difference. And since the PSU is custom made for the case, changing it isn't a valid option.

Now, I'm thinking about changing the whole case. Any suggestions for Mini-ITX cases?

I'm loving the Rosewill Legacy w1-s!

ricki42

One thing I'm noticing is that when I'm downloading something on Steam my PC runs like SHIT.
Stutters, slow, especially if I'm playing a game.

What can I do to prevent this?

g3258 @ 4.3ghz
4gb ram
500gb 7200rpm seagate hdd

Is this a processor, ram, or a hdd thing?

Is this just when downloading from steam, or generally when downloading anything larger?
Have you checked if there are any processes hogging RAM and/or CPU?

mkenyon

Banned
Is it worth upgrading my 3 year old i7 2600k?
I have a GTX 760 and don't want my CPU to be bottlenecking.
I just OC'd my 2600k for the first time today, went from 3.8GHz to 4.141GHz. Maybe I'll get another year or so out of it.
Nope, not worth upgrading at all. Overclock it a bit more.

Third post in thread are my recs, unless you have something very specific. Maybe a Silverstone SG10?

Shaldome

Well as I guessed it seems the upper GPU is dead. Unplugged the power connectors and the computer started without problems.

Ah well, wanted to upgrade anyway at the beginning of next year. And until Witcher 3 I can live with one 680.

mkenyon

Banned
Well as I guessed it seems the upper GPU is dead. Unplugged the power connectors and the computer started without problems.

Ah well, wanted to upgrade anyway at the beginning of next year. And until Witcher 3 I can live with one 680.
Should be covered by warranty still. 3 years is typical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom