• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think Microsoft might surprise a bunch of people

Hoo-doo

Banned
meaning what? Do you seriously believe that MS is shitting themselves?

What? No. But you're extracting some hidden meaning from a man's twitter who's job description is hyping up the Xbox. It's not like they started marketing it.

I think both MS and SNE are going to come out of the gates swinging at E3. Based on the press conference last night (which i enjoyed) it is apparent that SNE did not show all their cards. Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, & Polyphony Digital, etc... have yet to drop a hint. And isn't GG apparently working on something other than Killzone Shadow Fall?

I am sure MS is playing things close to the chest, but the question is, how close...? Have they secretly been cultivating new studios with new IP's?... because SNE has (not secretly) for the last few years.

I am very much looking forward to seeing what both camps drop on us at E3. But i like my tech, and i think MS may have a hard time selling their console to the hardcore considering they are in the shadow of 8GB of GDDR5.

I've gotta root for the underdog (SNE).

abadguy

Banned
I think both MS and SNE are going to come out of the gates swinging at E3. Based on the press conference last night (which i enjoyed) it is apparent that SNE did not show all their cards. Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, & Polyphony Digital, etc... have yet to drop a hint.

I am sure MS is playing things close to the chest, but the question is, how close...? Have they secretly been cultivating new studios with new IP's?... because SNE has (not secretly) for the last few years.

I am very much looking forward to seeing what both camps drop on us at E3. But i like my tech, and i think MS may have a hard time selling their console to the hardcore considering they are in the shadow of 8GB of GDDR5.

Yeah. In fact there is a big ass thread on it.

Put your MS boner away sir. It's not needed here.

Yes only Sony boners allowed here!

Burt

First of all, I just want to tell you how much I loooove the assertion that everyone who likes Halo is a dude bro.

On topic, Microsoft is most certainly in a position to surprise us. Don't count on it though. They've made their hand pretty clear with Windows 8, GFWL, XBL management with patches, publishing, and indies, Kinect, letting their IPs die, all the talk about the focus being on entertainment more than games and the amount that Xbox is used as a Netflix device compared to a games console, etc.

Next generation, Microsoft is going to be two or three solid IPs locked behind a paywall covered in advertisements and surrounded with apps that will matter very little to anyone on this forum.

FrankT

I like your theory about 2008 and ties into what I was thinking early( and discussing in another theead; around when I think things changed a lot for MS. However, I really think the changes started when RROD hit the fan with the $1 billion set aside for it. Summer 2007. 2008 crises just added to it. The 360 team really pulled off some great wins early on, but things changed a lot after those first few years.

We will see what the 720 team can pull off.

Vol5

People never learn.....

MS will drop any of their products like a bad habit to persue a new revenue stream or make themselves look like they have a grasp of technology. If Kinect wasn't the biggest kick in the teeth to the core 360 owners I don't know what is.

Seriously, the only surprise MS can come up with now, as you have said in a round about way, is they haven't forgetter about the core....alas I think it will be lip service and nothing more.

DocSeuss

"300 million earmarked for AAA games."

So what's that mean? Three games?

Eh, Gears of War cost ~$10-20m a pop, iirc.

MS have a countdown where they are going to reveal the next xbox, i think it ends on E3 and was set last year or something. react? lol. Microsoft will pull out the big guns and some of you will be eating crow. lol

No, Microsoft has a countdown to E3. That is all. It was posted in January, iirc.

Fan speculation is always better than what the reality is, unfortunately. What you're saying isn't impossible but the vast majority of the cards have already been laid out on the table. MS may be able to pull off a surprise or two, but we basically know what they have, just like we basically knew what the PS4 had (or completely knew what it had, sans an extra 4gb of ram).

It all comes down to price, games and if anyone can create a new market like Nintendo did with the wii. My speculation is the Microsoft will be in the lead out of the gate based on a lower price point and people being attached to their friends list/gamerscore/etc. It's in years 2-4 where some excitement might start brewing.

Wat.

It's like you didn't read the OP at all. I said nothing about hardware, only software, in terms of new IPs.

I think xbox 720 will not be like xbox 360 and all the reasons i liked 360 so much will nto be there

1. JRPGs - 360 had one of my top, Lost Odyssey and many more

I dont think 720 will get any exclusive JRPGs this time around, so that will be a 50% loss of its appeal to me

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft abandons that route, since the 360-exclusive JRPGs sold poorly after Level 5 or somebody apparently screwed with Microsoft, getting their game canceled, and riled a bunch of people.

2. Fable - the main reason i liked xbox 1 and went to xbox 360 at launch, Fable has been a constant dissapointment, in Fable 3 they did away with any fairy tale atmopshere and cool bosses/monsters and added .... robots

Robots were in the DLC. I don't remember them being in the main game. Personally, I love all three Fable games, though I think Fable 3 has the best story of the lot. My problem is that they've always seemed like games that were tremendously gimped by a control pad. The philosophy behind their design seems very simulation oriented, but then they tried to consolify that, and I don't feel it's really worked all that well.

3. Alan Wake - one of my top games, now is on PC, so why get a xbox for Alan Wake 2 if it even comes when i can get it on PC later

I will double dip.

So these are the main points that can make or break xbox 720 for me, if they can deliver real exlusives (not also on PC), a good Fable not on PC and JRPGs, then i will consider getting one

Right now PS4 is my top priority and WiiU 2ond (plus my trusty 3DS that hopefully gets Bravely Default at some point)

Um, what if Microsoft doesn't have any of those things, but has new things to try?

Additionally, the PS4 announcement had no JRPGs or RPGs either.

I feel like a lot of people, yourself included, are writing Microsoft off because of their past showing. I really wish people would wait for E3.

I like your theory about 2008 and ties into what I was thinking early( and discussing in another theead; around when I think things changed a lot for MS. However, I really think the changes started when RROD hit the fan with the $1 billion set aside for it. Summer 2007. 2008 crises just added to it. The 360 team really pulled off some great wins early on, but things changed a lot after those first few years.

We will see what the 720 team can pull off.

I had totally forgotten about the RROD. I think that actually strengthens my argument.

People never learn.....

MS will drop any of their products like a bad habit to persue a new revenue stream or make themselves look like they have a grasp of technology. If Kinect wasn't the biggest kick in the teeth to the core 360 owners I don't know what is.

Seriously, the only surprise MS can come up with now, as you have said in a round about way, is they haven't forgetter about the core....alas I think it will be lip service and nothing more.

As a core 360 owner, I actually think my Kinect is super cool.

Also, Microsoft's history isn't one that backs up what you're claiming, like, at all. As Jtyettis pointed out, the RROD was another billion dollars on top of the few billion they lost with the original Xbox. They made that money back this generation, largely because of core games. I think they're going to diversify this gen, particularly because the PS3's superior title diversity is part of the only reason it was even close to the 360 in terms of sales.

First of all, I just want to tell you how much I loooove the assertion that everyone who likes Halo is a dude bro.

On topic, Microsoft is most certainly in a position to surprise us. Don't count on it though. They've made their hand pretty clear with Windows 8, GFWL, XBL management with patches, publishing, and indies, Kinect, letting their IPs die, all the talk about the focus being on entertainment more than games and the amount that Xbox is used as a Netflix device compared to a games console, etc.

Next generation, Microsoft is going to be two or three solid IPs locked behind a paywall covered in advertisements and surrounded with apps that will matter very little to anyone on this forum.

Believe me, I hate that assertion. I'm not a dudebro guy, but I think Halo is one of the most brilliantly-designed franchises out there. That said, Halo 4 has some huge issues, and I'm thinking about writing up a thread on it.

I think both MS and SNE are going to come out of the gates swinging at E3. Based on the press conference last night (which i enjoyed) it is apparent that SNE did not show all their cards. Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, & Polyphony Digital, etc... have yet to drop a hint. And isn't GG apparently working on something other than Killzone Shadow Fall?

Naughty Dog and Santa Monica are presently hard at work on The Last of Us and God of War: Ascension, which is why they haven't shown anything. Naughty Dog's other team only finished Uncharted 3 last fall, so they aren't necessarily very far ahead on anything either. Guerilla is rumored to have a second team that might be doing stuff.

Yes, Microsoft has apparently cultivated around 8 and 12 new studios, some of which are AAA, some of which are family, some of which we know next to nothing about.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I remember Gore Verbinski's game announced at E3 2011. Something about the ball. Where is it now? It's supposed to be an interesting experimental title.

Anyway I think MS has rotten from the inside. They care about profits only but they don't quite understand that their profits come from consumers how Jobs had undertood. Consumers are just numbers in excel spreadsheet for them. Ballmer LOVES excel spreadsheets. And their unhealthy corporate culture won't lead to anything good.

They wanted core market in 2001-2006, they got it. Now they want casual market. It's a right business decision and I see where they are coming from but there is not a single hint of passion in what they do even though some people inside the company are really passionate and talented. I also speak from my personal experience of working with MS. It was a long time ago but when I spoke to people who work with them it seems that MS didn't change, if only for worse.

It's not a surprise what they're going to do. Just look at everything they've opened over the past couple of years. They're going to have a bunch of exclusive retail and downloadable titles, a slew of content apps, and also new original video content. Based on their recent past, they'll also have a bunch of timed exclusives of games and DLC. Sony likes that plan so much they copied it (See Blizzard and also The Witness).

Arklite

They'll show "core," but it's going to be the next COD, Battlefield 4, and Halo Infinite.

Hardly surprising and not a bad thing, but OP post starts off reminiscing of the old days when MSoft was investing in unique games, quirky titles, and Japanese titles. I very much doubt you'll see them posing with that kind of content upfront. They don't need to do that anymore. Literally all they have to do is show a new COD with PC graphics and it's done, their US market holds.

GavinGT

Banned
like a metro start menu :p

I'm thinking more along the lines of features like achievements, party chat, background downloads, and demos for all XBLA games. Xbox 360 surprised us all with its feature set, and I expect the next Xbox reveal to elicit a similar reaction.

abadguy

Banned
At least, due to recent events, you can actually understand why there might be some for a few days.

Yeah but it's pretty much always like that here so....

They'll show "core," but it's going to be the next COD, Battlefield 4, and Halo Infinite.

Hardly surprising and not a bad thing, but OP post starts off reminiscing of the old days when MSoft was investing in unique games, quirky titles, and Japanese titles. I very much doubt you'll see them posing with that kind of content upfront. They don't need to do that anymore. Literally all they have to do is show a new COD with PC graphics and it's done, their US market holds.

And yet they keep opening all these new studios and one of them( Black Tusk) announced they were working on a new IP not too long ago. But yeah lets ignore all that, only Halo/Gears/kinect from this point on, folks!

Yeah, I know.

But I like to think people can read as fast as me.

If they've fallen as a games leader, why do they continue have the highest metascore of the three first-parties? Personally, I feel that while Sony and Nintendo are releasing more diverse games, they're not quite as good as Microsoft's output. I've enjoyed pretty much every AAA game I've played that Microsoft has released so far.
I disagree completely...Besides Halo, which I've grown quite tired of, despite Halo4 being great, not amazing like some reviewers think, there first party stuff has been lackluster IMO. Gears is still awesome, but Forza, Alan Wake, Fable etc...meh, I don't care what makes the most money, or what websites say, there first party isn't touching the other two.

The difference will be who 3rd party decides to go with or if they choose a preference at all....that's about it I think...

Edit, could just be my personal hunch, but I feel Nintendo and Sony are more invested in the industry than MS is now. And I have to support the companies that I feel are best for my favorite past time. Not taking away anything from there innovations, but they have the means to grow there first party lineups considerably, and if I don't see a ton of new Ip's from them on there reveal, big chance I won't support them. I'm pretty much done with COD/Battlefiled/Killzone shooters anyway. So money hatting still won't get a buy from me.

Alx

I agree with the OP. Features like kinect will be an important part of MS communication for the "cool factor" that will make people talk about their console, but it doesn't mean they won't provide traditional games too.
Unless they're very agressive on the hardware price and count on a phenomenon similar to the Wii, they know that their first customers will be gamers. They cannot expect to sell a $300-$400 console just for Netflix features.

Oh, and can we please stop saying "entertainment" like it's a bad thing ? In case you didn't notice, video games are entertainment too.

gaming_noob

They may... Aaron Greenberg gave Sony's conference last night a 6 out of 10 on his twitter. Considering this, he may or may not believe MS will have "better" things to show (please note: putting words in his mouth)

They may... Aaron Greenberg gave Sony's conference last night a 6 out of 10 on his twitter. Considering this, he may or may not believe MS will have "better" things to show.
microsoft could come out and literally drop a deuce on stage and greenberg would think they had a better conference.

Kinect
Media
Ads
Halo
Gears

Expect that on Durango.

They've made it quite clear that they're going to be focused on "entertainment"

They must try very hard after Sony.

1361427598_106026659.gif

Vinci

Danish
Kinect
Media
Ads
Halo
Gears

Expect that on Durango.

Don't be so dramatic. The fact that Sony is interested in 'Sharing' didn't turn them into a wannabe Nintendo, and Microsoft's interest in garnering a mainstream audience doesn't mean they'll abandon games. People are so black and white about this shit when it's clear we're headed (and destined) for convergence.

WTF does that GIF mean?

How hard it is to impress Russian drivers, seemingly.

DocSeuss

I remember Gore Verbinski's game announced at E3 2011. Something about the ball. Where is it now? It's supposed to be an interesting experimental title.

Anyway I think MS has rotten from the inside. They care about profits only but they don't quite understand that their profits come from consumers how Jobs had undertood. Consumers are just numbers in excel spreadsheet for them. Ballmer LOVES excel spreadsheets. And their unhealthy corporate culture won't lead to anything good.

They wanted core market in 2001-2006, they got it. Now they want casual market. It's a right business decision and I see where they are coming from but there is not a single hint of passion in what they do even though some people inside the company are really passionate and talented. I also speak from my personal experience of working with MS. It was a long time ago but when I spoke to people who work with them it seems that MS didn't change, if only for worse.

I thought that game was E3 2012, and I'm guessing it was delayed until next gen. The motorcycle game from the Gunstringer guys is MIA as well. That New Gods game, or whatever it's called, got some press a week or so ago.

Part of me suspects that next gen is where those games and Crimson Dragon have gone.

Yeah, I think Ballmer's really been a toxic force against Microsoft's growth. Gates and Allen seemed to have a much better idea of Microsoft's future (and Gates had a sharper business sense). I disagree with your assessment of Steve Jobs.

It's not a surprise what they're going to do. Just look at everything they've opened over the past couple of years. They're going to have a bunch of exclusive retail and downloadable titles, a slew of content apps, and also new original video content. Based on their recent past, they'll also have a bunch of timed exclusives of games and DLC. Sony likes that plan so much they copied it (See Blizzard and also The Witness).

It is a pretty good plan.

I'm going to guess that Microsoft will have a much more diverse approach than Sony did, but that there will still be a big focus on games, with a healthy mix of new IPs (Sony's only new first-party IP was, what, Knack?).

I disagree completely...Besides Halo, which I've grown quite tired of, despite Halo4 being great, not amazing like some reviewers think, there first party stuff has been lackluster IMO. Gears is still awesome, but Forza, Alan Wake, Fable etc...meh, I don't care what makes the most money, or what websites say, there first party isn't touching the other two.

The difference will be who 3rd party decides to go with or if they choose a preference at all....that's about it I think...

As someone who has studied game design a lot, I'd argue that the technical qualities of Forza, Alan Wake, Fable, Gears, and Halo absolutely trounces Sony's first-party output. Some of their games are solid A-quality titles, like God of War, then you've got 80+ range games, like Infamous and Resistance, then you've got genuinely bad games like Uncharted and Killzone. Nintendo's treatment of gamers like they're children ('ohey, the game will skip this bit for you if you want' 'hey, let's repeat everything TWICE!') holds them back a lot.

I agree with the OP. Features like kinect will be an important part of MS communication for the "cool factor" that will make people talk about their console, but it doesn't mean they won't provide traditional games too.
Unless they're very agressive on the hardware price and count on a phenomenon similar to the Wii, they know that their first customers will be gamers. They cannot expect to sell a $300-$400 console just for Netflix features.

Oh, and can we please stop saying "entertainment" like it's a bad thing ? In case you didn't notice, video games are entertainment too.

I personally have no interest in their media output, because in the end, they'll never beat an HTPC. It's just not possible, because an HTPC, is, by definition, customizable. If XBMC were possible on the Nextbox, I'd be a lot more interested, but there's no way Microsoft's going to advertise that.

My crazy theory (read: WISH) is that Microsoft would release Xbox as a brand, and while they'd have a cheap, PC-like device (the specs we've been seeing), it turns out that the Nextbox is actually a media center software/subscription service that can be installed on any PC, which is why games can't be traded in, because it's like Steam, except this time, Microsoft's entire entertainment division is behind making it awesome.

I can dream, right?

My guess would be, GTA V is released for 360/PS3 on 17.09.2013...BUT, MS and XBox 720 has next-gen exclusivity (possible DLC exclusivity) for 6 months or so on GTA V.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
The goal is to increase marketshare and profits. The Xbox brand is now in jeapordy of losing market share. Bungie is now multiplatform and the the PS4 looks to have better specs. To core Xbox fans the PS4 becomes more enticing. Paying for online a higher spec console is more appealling.

The perfect storm is brewing for Sony. The Wii U is flopping and the Xbox strategy looks to be the equivalent to the Maginot Line.

abadguy

Banned
The goal is to increase marketshare and profits. The Xbox brand is now in jeapordy of losing market share. Bungie is now multiplatform and the the PS4 looks to have better specs. To core Xbox fans the PS4 becomes more enticing. Paying for online a higher spec console is more appealling.

The perfect storm is brewing for Sony. The Wii U is flopping and the Xbox strategy looks to be the equivilent to the Magionet Line.

What "strategy" exactly? MS hasn't even talked about what they are doing with the next xbox.

Macattk15

Yeah but it's pretty much always like that here so....

Oh. I try not to console fanboy argue because its really not worth the time. If someone is a fan of something ... you're not going to convince them otherwise.

My guess would be, GTA V is released for 360/PS3 on 17.09.2013...BUT, MS and XBox 720 has next-gen exclusivity (possible DLC exclusivity) for 6 months or so on GTA V.

No way would that happen.

slider

I think MS will surprise, well if not us as Gaffers... then the general market. They're no fools.

But I'm not sure on what aspect of their box that surprise will be. I've read a few rumours (on GAF) about an integrated entertainment approach. So if they launch a massively subsidised box I still think price of entry will sway many folk.

Will that localise their strategy to North America? I'm not sure but can't wait to find out. It'd be great to have two day one purchases to look forward to. For now I'm salivating at the PS4; MS's time will come (March or May?).

buhdeh

I can already see what'll be there:

1. Kinect, Kinect, Kinect
2. Casuals
3. More pay-walled features you can get for free with an internet browser
4. Massive push on tie-ins with Windows 8 tablets and WP8 that no one will ever use because no one buys these devices

Dlacy13g

PS3 technically was superior to the 360 yet we pretty much saw them both on an equal foot all this generation. I suspect we will see more of the same in the next gen.

.GqueB.

Banned
I imagine MS is going to kick ass honestly. Sony and MS have different goals for the next generation and I'm excited to see what they do. Sony seems to be focused on gamers while MS wants to take over your livingroom. It's REALLY hard to do both so I look forward to E3 big time this year.

shandy706

Kinect
Media
Ads
Halo
Gears

Expect that on Durango.

I can already see what'll be there:

1. Kinect, Kinect, Kinect
2. Casuals
3. More pay-walled features you can get for free with an internet browser
4. Massive push on tie-ins with Windows 8 tablets and WP8 that no one will ever use because no one buys these devices

Would this stupidity please stop.

It will have those things in some form (most likely)....but lets just keep ignoring the new studios and the other new IPs in the pipe.

Derp Derp Derp Derp

GavinGT

Banned
What "strategy" exactly? MS hasn't even talked about what they are doing with the next xbox.

People just assume Microsoft will continue down the same course early next gen that they've been on late this gen. But they won't. They'll have to reorient themselves with hardcore gamers because that's the crowd that buys consoles in the early years.

So, for the past three years, Microsoft has been kinda a disappointment

NeoGAF lives in a bizarro world where success equals failure and failure equals success. About 3 years ago is when Xbox started selling really well and putting the red ring debacle behind them.

My take on this is if the Xbox unveiling is anything like the PS4 event I will consider it a real world failure, not a NeoGaf failure. They need to create a box with broad appeal, with innovative uses and original games and exclusive interactive video content. MS needs to come up with functionality and features that make the box not just better but unique. They need to make games more fun with ideas like achievements and other rewards for playing. Spamming facebook timelines with captured videos is not going to get more people playing games, it's going to get you unfriended.

The box also needs to be affordable. $500 and $600 gaming boxes are not going to take the world by storm in this economy. I don't care if it pretends to cure cancer it's still not going to sell.

I'm not saying polygons and graphics hardware aren't important, but they're also not exciting to most normal people. A normal person is not going to rush out for more polygons. Video games have gotten stale and consumers are looking for new experiences, things they never expected an Xbox to do. The puppet dancing was the extent of the creativity we saw from Sony and that lack of creativity is not going to keep anyone alive in this business.

harSon

Banned
Kinect
Media
Ads
Halo
Gears

Expect that on Durango.

They've also opened up new 1st party studios, and it's confirmed that they have new intellectual properties on top of their existing properties in development. And of course they're going to be focused on Kinect and entertainment, those are two of the few elements they can differentiate themselves from the rest of the pact with.

Pistolero

Microsoft will come up with new IPs and produce sequels, same thing for Sony. Not seeing any surprises on the horizon, nope...

Top Bottom