• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think my apartment may be haunted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Beard

This is all some of the worst imaginable non-science I have ever read. Your professor should be barred from filling impressionable students' heads with such nonsense.

Dude, it was an art school, ease up a bit. So what if a few of us humans get told some off the wall shit? We'll be dead in 50 or 60 years anyways. It sounds like the students took some of the things he said with a grain of salt. But, omg they used their imaginations for a few hours of their lives!! Society will crumble. It's sounds like DirtyLarry was severely damaged by being told these things!! Let's Fire the teacher!

Dude, it was an art school, ease up a bit. So what if a few of us humans get told some off the wall shit? We'll be dead in 50 or 60 years anyways. It sounds like the students took some of the things he said with a grain of salt. But, omg they used their imaginations for a few hours of their lives!! Society will crumble. It's sounds like DirtyLarry was severely damaged by being told these things!! Let's Fire the teacher!

No dude, ALL SCIENCE ALL THE TIME!

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
When I went to art school we were as most all art colleges required to take some elective courses that were "regular" courses.

The course entitled "Modern Physics For The Artist" sounded interesting to me, so I enrolled in it. We are assigned Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" and the professor assured us that although we would possibly not understand most of what we were reading, he would try his best to explain it all in a way that as Artists we should understand.

A few weeks later as we were talking about the Space-Time Continuum, he shared with us that there were a few physicists out there who believed that ghosts were actually people who had "carved" themselves a unique position on the Continuum itself. That these were usually people who had a very set routine in life and because they did the same things at the same time of day for years and years upon end, that they wound up "burning" their spirits into Time itself. That there was a well documented story of a man who owned a newspaper stand just outside of Penn Station in NYC who after his death, multiple people reported seeing him behind the news stand at the same time of day every day.

So yeah, while I am not sure about the existence of ghosts myself, I thought it was an interesting take on them and a way to try and use science to explain why they might in fact exist.

This sounds like a really interesting story and explanation. Any good links to read about this?

Kurdel

Banned
It sounds like the students took some of the things he said with a grain of salt. But, omg they used their imaginations for a few hours of their lives!! Society will crumble. It's sounds like DirtyLarry was severely damaged by being told these things!! Let's Fire the teacher!

Oh yeah you're right, no real reason to suspect anyone will actually believe this bullshit.

This sounds like a really interesting story and explanation. Any good links to read about this?

Oops

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah you're right, no real reason to suspect anyone will actually believe this bullshit.

Oops

I found it interesting. Doesn't mean I believe in the explanation :p
I also want to read about that ghost because I like ghost stories.

I don't mean to bump this, but I can't make threads, and I don't think it's really thread worthy.

But lately weird things have been happening in my house. Last night the bathroom lights turned themselves off, and you could hear the distinctive click when you turn the light off. The bedroom door forced itself open (I have two cats, but they were both on the bed sleeping with us when this happened) and been hearing creeks and slams, and my computer played Adventure Time (what I was last watching) one night.

Now I'm not sure if this is paranormal, someone is living in my house that I don't know about or that this is all repercussions of when someone broke into my house while I was home a few weeks back, and my mind is just playing tricks on me. Its getting harder and harder to fall asleep and stay asleep, cause now I'll wake up at almost every little noise and inspect the house.

I don't mean to bump this, but I can't make threads, and I don't think it's really thread worthy.

But lately weird things have been happening in my house. Last night the bathroom lights turned themselves off, and you could hear the distinctive click when you turn the light off. The bedroom door forced itself open (I have two cats, but they were both on the bed sleeping with us when this happened) and been hearing creeks and slams, and my computer played Adventure Time (what I was last watching) one night.

Now I'm not sure if this is paranormal, someone is living in my house that I don't know about or that this is all repercussions of when someone broke into my house while I was home a few weeks back, and my mind is just playing tricks on me. Its getting harder and harder to fall asleep and stay asleep, cause now I'll wake up at almost every little noise and inspect the house.
And Act 2 begins...
Its probably stress from the break in cus I know that would freak me out for a while. Get that camera though and set it up, that way you know its nothing and can sleep well

If someone had once broken into your house, it's possible they could have made a spare key although your story doesn't seem to suggest there's a man lurking around just to turn the bathroom lights after you. I may have told this story many pages back, but after spending some time on your pc, maybe watching adventure time again, try holding something reflective like the back of a cd and see if you can see something behind you. I did.

You're probably stressed from the break-in. I've heard that can really affect people for awhile afterwards. You probably don't feel safe in your house and are picking up small things that you would normally ignore as a sign that someone is in your house. Can you get a security system or heavy locks set up to give you some peace of mind?

I can't believe GAF is so hard on science and has no mind for ghosts. I remember how well the Ouija board thread went down. You guys are legit sticking your heads up your asses if you don't believe in ghosts.

I have watched a planchette move by itself and move into sequences of letters that no random thing could ever do. These sequences went on to tell a story that this "planchette" had done something to his daughter that he was not willing to share with me. He claimed he was being mentored by a "demon" (some old fart who also has issues letting go of his physical energy I guess) and that he wanted to be a "demon" too. It did this for an hour or two, and communicated just like any other human would, albeit spookily through moving a planchette across a Quija board. Yes it was pretty scary but you have to open your mind a little bit. And of course GAF will just tell you it's the whatever phenomenon where you move the damn thing by yourself and are basically talking to yourself. Yeah right. For over an hour.

I'm not going to argue with you scientists though. However, we truly do need to know what happened to the OP, given the circumstances.

The scientific explanation given by that one poster for ghosts by his art teacher aligns with every notion I have had about ghosts. That you can get "stuck" in the place between your body and the pure energy world of the "spirit realm". Lots of "people" that become aware of this start using their position to pose as "demons" or "ghosts" to us, when they're really just a bunch of assholes who couldn't release from the grip of the physical realm when they died. Anyways. You guys need to stop being so hardcore logical, it's a cancer to your development and the understanding of life

Alright alright fuck that, who cares if you guys are deadpan blocked off to anything you can't see smell or touch. We really just need to know what happened to the OP

I'm fairly convinced mine is haunted...or maybe the complex. It never made sense that ghosts couldn't just go one room over if they felt like it. Anyway I feel like the more attention I paid to the signs, the more weird things started to happen so I just tried to chill and be accepting of it and I haven't had any weird things occur in months.

I can't believe GAF is so hard on science and has no mind for ghosts. I remember how well the Ouija board thread went down. You guys are legit sticking your heads up your asses if you don't believe in ghosts.

I have watched a planchette move by itself and move into sequences of letters that no random thing could ever do. It did this for an hour or two.

I'm not going to argue with you scientists though. However, we truly do need to know what happened to the OP, given the circumstances.
I mean, without proof, not many people will just outright believe people they don't trust. I believe in ghosts based on personal experiences of myself and people I trust. I don't expect everyone to without proof because its a fairly far fetched idea if you are not religious (or even if you are for some)

Because there is literally, literally zero evidence of ghosts. People hard on science usually like at least a shred of evidence to support a theory.

Because there is literally, literally zero evidence of ghosts. People hard on science usually like at least a shred of evidence to support a theory.

Yeah tell that to me while I watch a damn piece of plastic with a lense move around a board with letters and choose letters to form a message. I'm sure I was just high off my ass or experiencing a phenomenon for over an hour. Dude I wouldn't believe it if somebody told me either. My Ex girlfiend was there too and she would have never believed this stuff unless she experienced either, and she did. We don't talk about it because it scares her. Anyways I don't want to get into that discussion with you guys, I just want to bring that perspective so we can start honestly asking wtf is up with OP

Yeah tell that to me while I watch a damn piece of plastic with a lense move around a board with letters and choose letters to form a message. I'm sure I was just high off my ass or experiencing a phenomenon for over an hour. Dude I wouldn't believe it if somebody told me either. My Ex girlfiend was there too and she would have never believed this stuff unless she experienced either, and she did. We don't talk about it because it scares her. Anyways I don't want to get into that discussion with you guys, I just want to bring that perspective so we can start honestly asking wtf is up with OP
Might help if people recorded these things and had some actual proof instead of "it really happened to me." Sure, it could have happened, but in most cases it is clearly made up or there are other valid reasons outside of ghosts or supernatural things.

bchamba

This guy is right. Why aren't we taking one person's story on a message board as proof of ghosts? You guys need to be more open minded.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

The scientific explanation given for ghost aligns with every notion I have about ghosts.

Stop right there GH. There is no scientific explanation for ghosts, that is just a fact, and that is also the source of the skepticism for most people. And I say this as a person who has experienced paranormal / ghostly / unexplainable phenomenon. Just because I can't explain it, and just because I might believe it was ghosts due to lacking any other reasonable explanations, does NOT mean it absolutely and scientifically HAS to be ghosts. The fact is that I just don't really know what the hell was going on in that restaurant.

A lot of people jump to "ghosts" being the explanation simply because they can't explain it any other way. Just like people used to explain the movement of the stars as being Gods at work, or how people once thought the world was flat. Don't confuse faith and belief with science, they are not the same!

This guy is right. Why aren't we taking one person's story on a message board as proof of ghosts? You guys need to be more open minded.

That's fine, pass it off as bullshit. The main thing here is how coincidentally the OP hasn't updated us. I haven't known ghosts to be into ketchup splattering so honestly that's not my first explanation. But it is still alarming that he hasn't responded. We can leave the esoteric stuff behind

Stop right there GH. There is no scientific explanation for ghosts, that is just a fact, and that is also the source of the skepticism for most people. And I say this as a person who has experienced paranormal / ghostly / unexplainable phenomenon. Just because I can't explain it, and just because I might believe it was ghosts due to lacking any other reasonable explanations, does NOT mean it absolutely and scientifically HAS to be ghosts. The fact is that I just don't really know what the hell was going on in that restaurant.

A lot of people jump to "ghosts" being the explanation simply because they can't explain it any other way. Just like people used to explain the movement of the stars as being Gods at work, or how people once thought the world was flat. Don't confuse faith and belief with science, they are not the same!

Fair enough. Was probably the wind or something. Like I said I'm not concerned with convincing anybody anything. But where is detective GAF. The man in between the walls must've got OP, I'm afraid

That's fine, pass it off as bullshit. The main thing here is how coincidentally the OP hasn't updated us. I haven't known ghosts to be into ketchup splattering so honestly that's not my first explanation. But it is still alarming that he hasn't responded. We can leave the esoteric stuff behind

OP was online today and posting yesterday. Last Activity: Today 06:02 AM. Or maybe the ghost is using his PC.

Yeah tell that to me while I watch a damn piece of plastic with a lense move around a board with letters and choose letters to form a message. I'm sure I was just high off my ass or experiencing a phenomenon for over an hour.
If it moved without anyone's hands being on it at all at the time, then I can understand why you'd believe in ghosts being responsible, at least.

OP was online today and posting yesterday. Last Activity: Today 06:02 AM. Or maybe the ghost is using his PC.

It was the ghost trolling all along?

uv9ebYD.jpg

If your point was that people "hard on science" are closed minded because they don't believe in ghosts it wasn't a very good point. Anecdotal evidence isn't a strong foundation for a theory. The only evidence we have of ghosts are thousands of anecdotal stories with zero scientific evidence to back them up.

You should watch this video too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69TOuqaqXI

If your point was that people "hard on science" are closed minded because they don't believe in ghosts it wasn't a very good point. Anecdotal evidence isn't a strong foundation for a theory. The only evidence we have of ghosts are thousands of anecdotal stories with zero scientific evidence to back them up.

You should watch this video too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69TOuqaqXI

You're right man, I'm totally full of shit on the subject. Oh well

boiled goose

good with gravy

It should havr been a scifi or fantasy class. The "scientific basis" for the ghost stuff is gibberish that sadly art students without a good background can't really evaluate as such.

Mascot

I have watched a planchette move by itself and move into sequences of letters that no random thing could ever do. These sequences went on to tell a story that this "planchette" had done something to his daughter that he was not willing to share with me. He claimed he was being mentored by a "demon" (some old fart who also has issues letting go of his physical energy I guess) and that he wanted to be a "demon" too. It did this for an hour or two, and communicated just like any other human would, albeit spookily through moving a planchette across a Quija board. Yes it was pretty scary but you have to open your mind a little bit. And of course GAF will just tell you it's the whatever phenomenon where you move the damn thing by yourself and are basically talking to yourself. Yeah right. For over an hour.

It did this, by itself, for 'an hour or two', and nobody present took a video with their phone?

And by 'by itself', you mean with nobody touching it, yes?

Do it again and record it with your phone, you will be famous.

kaye

Banned
I have been told stories by my father and step-brother. I have no reason to discount their experiences. An anecdotal experience is still an experience.

Gnome

All these ghosts threads are the fucking same. Claim here, claim there, never any record of repeatable observation or demonstration.

Dawg

an extremely vague "2spooky4you" story on neogaf where the OP ends up disappearing and stops replying even though he is still online/active?

sounds familiar

Apathy

Reading the post from pro ghost people is just hilarious. The burdon of proof is on the person making the claim. It does make for a good laugh at what shenanigans people actually believe in.

And Act 2 begins...
Its probably stress from the break in cus I know that would freak me out for a while. Get that camera though and set it up, that way you know its nothing and can sleep well
I don't know how well a go pro hero 3 can pick up stuff at night, but I can try that.
If someone had once broken into your house, it's possible they could have made a spare key although your story doesn't seem to suggest there's a man lurking around just to turn the bathroom lights after you. I may have told this story many pages back, but after spending some time on your pc, maybe watching adventure time again, try holding something reflective like the back of a cd and see if you can see something behind you. I did.
Very unlikely I'll see something behind me, besides a fishtank haha. I watch in my living room, and hook it up to the tv.
You're probably stressed from the break-in. I've heard that can really affect people for awhile afterwards. You probably don't feel safe in your house and are picking up small things that you would normally ignore as a sign that someone is in your house. Can you get a security system or heavy locks set up to give you some peace of mind?
Im really hoping its just stress, I got a new deadbolt so its a start.

kogasu

an extremely vague "2spooky4you" story on neogaf where the OP ends up disappearing and stops replying even though he is still online/active?

sounds familiar

Well he was gone for quite a few weeks... Though, honestly, that could be attributed to anything. Apparently OP forgot he made the thread anyway
or he's still too busy laughing at everyone here lol.

Mascot

Well he was gone for quite a few weeks... Though, honestly, that could be attributed to anything. Apparently OP forgot he made the thread anyway

Not at everyone. Just the 'believers'.

Arcia

Banned

Or maybe the person who has likely been breaking into the OP's apartment murdered him and is now using his GAF account!

I did the stupidest thing imaginable. I watched Ils (Them) tonight. It's an invasion horror film, and because of my recent invasion a month ago, I can't sleep. Every creek and sound bolts me up and I automatically think it's someone in my house.

I think the creeks are just my fridge, and I'm trying my best to convince myself that it is, but it's hard. I'm so fucking paranoid right now..fuck me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom