• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think my apartment may be haunted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walpurgis

Banned
I still can't believe people believe in ghosts/the paranormal in 2015.

giphy.gif

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Not ghosts, but a creepy story. It was posted the other 'Ghost-Age' topic I linked on the previous page. If you've got a spare half an hour I recommend giving this excellent story about a pair of cavers a read: http://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/page1.html

Yes Ted's caving adventure is one of the best things I've read on the internet. Loved it when I read it like 10 years ago, still love it today

magnifico

Set up hidden motion cameras around your place. Wouldn't doubt if maintenance person or someone with master key could be coming in without telling you.

Yes Ted's caving adventure is one of the best things I've read on the internet. Loved it when I read it like 10 years ago, still love it today

Forgive the very stupid question, but I'm assuming it's meant to be missing the final entry, and it's not a broken link? I was reading it quickly before leaving work and didn't quite give it the time it probably deserved, but then I didn't think it would take so long to read when I started.

Jayof9s

Forgive the very stupid question, but I'm assuming it's meant to be missing the final entry, and it's not a broken link? I was reading it quickly before leaving work and didn't quite give it the time it probably deserved, but then I didn't think it would take so long to read when I started.

Yes, if I recall right it ends with the guy going off to explore one more time and then no 'final' entry.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Creepy.

Oh and if you guys haven't seen the documantary on Daniel Lutz(youngest son of the Lutz family-Amitiville) check it out ASAP.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?

Yep that's how the story ends

Oogedei

Not ghosts, but a creepy story. It was posted the other 'Ghost-Age' topic I linked on the previous page. If you've got a spare half an hour I recommend giving this excellent story about a pair of cavers a read: http://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/page1.html

Old but gold. It's such a brilliant story and it seems to be so authentic with this early blogging style. The cool thing about it is that the cave is real! Of course these fictional elements are not real, but it's still an exciting story.

Would love to write a part 2 to it. This video recorder he forgot in the cave...this would make a good found footage story!

Mascot

Mascot

... how could you think it was anything but fiction?

At the start, before the nonsense started - quite easily. Towards the end, obviously not. It could still have been presented as fact (like the vast majority of spooky stories), but the link I provided shows the author was just having a laugh.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
brown-lady.jpg

Here's a famous one. There are experts in photography who have already determined there was no Photoshop going on here because the picture is so old. In b4 matrixing argument.

Here's an experiment for you guys.
But a Ouija board and send your Friend down to a cemetery with a camera. That way you aren't like oh my mind just wants to see it and the person in this video just wants to trick me.

You've never heard of, say, double exposure?

Editing pictures didn't come into existence with Photoshop, you know.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
I wasn't at my house since jesus fell off the cross because I have to take care of my parents dog (they are on vacation or something). tbh I'm pretty glad atm to sleep somewhere else..urgh

My grandfather slapped me several times as a child. most of the the time he punched me at the back of my head or he grabbed my arm to toss me around. He was normally a calm person but when he went nuts, he was totally off the wall. He never screamed though or something like that.
He was a true and terrifying patriarch of the family. Everyone feared him and kept distance.
He suffered from polio as a child which scared him for life. He was maybe 5.1f at most and had a huge hunch (from polio). He basicly looked like Quasimodo (minus the face). You would think such a tiny and "crippled" man has no strength but in fact he was strong as hell. He worked for decades as a lumberjack but without anysort of machines or even chainsaws. all by hand.
You want to know how evil he really was? Get this!
One of the cats at our farm had babies. I think 4 or 5. you know, those supersweet kitties with the cute big eyes.
I was playing with the kitties (I was around 10 at the time) when suddenly my grandfather came and blabbed something about the cat mother not being able to care for it's babies. So he grabbed every single one of the kitties and threw(slammed) them, in front of me and my younger brother, repeatedly on the concrete till they died. I will never forget the screams of the baby cats, the blood and their shattered bodies all over the place.

Jesus fucking christ man, I'm sorry you had to live with that. : (

Eyewitness, photo, and video evidence? All worthless. What's left to believe?

When thinking of paranormal phenomenon, it's hard to think of any way proof can be brought forward that is completely convincing. If an entire group of people see a ghost or UFO, then there's immediately people crying, "Oh just group delusion. Its psychology affecting everyone at once. Or it's a big hoax"

If someone takes a photo of said phenomenon, "Oh it's just photoshopped"

You used to be able to think video would surely be enough to convince. But now it's "I can do the same thing with After Effects, etc."

Even so called experts who analyze photo and video can be duped if the fake is good enough.

So what is there left really? What possible evidence can someone share with you that a thing is indeed real, short of inviting you over for tea with Bob the Alien who likes to anal probe people?

If aliens and ghosts are real, personally I think it's only going to have to take something the size of an Independence Day event to convince people.

Rivitur

Banned

When thinking of paranormal phenomenon, it's hard to think of any way proof can be brought forward that is completely convincing. If an entire group of people see a ghost or UFO, then there's immediately people crying, "Oh just group delusion. Its psychology affecting everyone at once. Or it's a big hoax"

You used to be able to think video would surely be enough to convince. But now it's "I can do the same thing with After Effects, etc."

Even so called experts who analyze photo and video can be duped if the fake is good enough.

So what is there left really? What possible evidence can someone share with you that a thing is indeed real, short of inviting you over for tea with Bob the Alien who likes to anal probe people?

If aliens and ghosts are real, personally I think it's only going to have to take something the size of an Independence Day event to convince people.
Up hill Battle... Only yay they'll be love is to experience it themselves and even then they'll use a excuse they found after searching the dark corners of science websites.

Lions are real. People have captured lions into controlled environment, I can walk into a zoo and see one for myself, no one denies the existance of lions.

Why can't a haunted house be turned into a tourist attraction, walk in there and see a ghost for yourself? No one has ever been able to get a ghost to show up and have other people see it on demand.

I want to see a haunted house where I can basically walk in, and have a ghost show up on demand. Not some "ohhh the lights are flickering, ghooooooosts" bullshit.

Yet this seems impossible. I guess ghosts as a whole basically are.

Lions are real. People have captured lions into controlled environment, I can walk into a zoo and see one for myself, no one denies the existance of lions.

Why can't a haunted house be turned into a tourist attraction, walk in there and see a ghost for yourself? No one has ever been able to get a ghost to show up and have other people see it on demand.

I want to see a haunted house where I can basically walk in, and have a ghost show up on demand. Not some "ohhh the lights are flickering, ghooooooosts" bullshit.

Yet this seems impossible. I guess ghosts as a whole basically are.

Well, there's two problems with your post. The first is that we actually know HOW to trap a Lion. The second is that ghosts are basically still people and can do what they want when they want like any person, and just aren't going to appear when commanded to like a trained animal.

Well, there's two problems with your post. The first is that we actually know HOW to trap a Lion. The second is that ghosts are basically still people and can do what they want when they want like any person, and just aren't going to appear when commanded to like a trained animal.

There are seven billion people on earth, if you asked every one of them to start streaking naked in the middle of the street, at least a thousand of them would just do it, people do it every year just for fun, without any good reason.

Yet will all hundred-billion plus ghosts (considering only humans can turn to a ghost for some magical fairy illogical reason) none of them will accept to even show themselves fully dressed in their magical ghost tissue clothes? Sorry but I'm not buying it. Surely one of them would be an exhibitionist we would all be hearing about.

My grandmother was really into all of this 'weird and wacky' stuff Runes, Crystals, Tarot etc. and was convinced ghosts existed. She promised myself and the other grand kids that when she passed on she'd come and visit us to prove it.

Neither myself or my siblings have had any visits it's been 10 years and counting, so if as you say they are still 'people and can do what they want' why wouldn't she have come back.

Actually why hasn't any spiritualist come back to prove it?

My grandmother was really into all of this 'weird and wacky' stuff Runes, Crystals, Tarot etc. and was convinced ghosts existed. She promised myself and the other grand kids that when she passed on she'd come and visit us to prove it.

Neither myself or my siblings have had any visits it's been 10 years and counting, so if as you say they are still 'people and can do what they want' why wouldn't she have come back.

Actually why hasn't any spiritualist come back to prove it?

I'm sure not everyone who dies would turn into a ghost though. If there were billions of ghosts, everywhere would be haunted. And finding an exhibitionist ghost to catch on tape is probably like finding a needle in a haystack.

Also, If she is in a proper afterlife, ie heaven(or hell, sorry) then she probably couldn't just go ghosting about.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I really enjoyed reading this topic. Anyone else got any more ghost stories?

Well yeah, I kind of do, but I'm not sure it qualifies as a ghost story or not....

A friend I went to high school with who grew up just down the road from me had a bizarre experience a little over a year ago. He had just got done eating lunch at his parents house on a Saturday afternoon with his mom and dad, his sister, and his then girlfriend. They were sitting at the kitchen table talking when his dad noticed his sister (my friend's aunt, her name was Tammy) standing in the doorway to the hallway, out of the kitchen. They were all startled to see her, joking that she snuck in. Tammy just smiled and said that she just stopped by to say goodbye, and that she loved them. She waved and turned around and walked down the hallway out of sight. Everyone laughed as they thought she was being funny in a "just got here got to go bye" kind of way, so they asked her back to the table to help clean up leftovers. After a few seconds passed and there wasn't any reply or sound, Sam (my buddy) got up to go see where she walked off to thinking she was just in the living room waiting or something, but they couldn't find her anywhere in the house. The doors and windows were all closed, there wasn't a car outside, it was like she just vanished. His dad called her phone but didn't get any answer.

About two hours later they found out that she had died in a horrible car accident early that morning at roughly the same time they talked to her in the kitchen.

Really fucked up, as they all saw and heard her, and Tammy seemed as real as ever to them. The whole neighborhood talked about it for years afterwards. I know the whole family very well, I even knew his aunt Tammy a bit. Sam and his family are pretty down to Earth people, the dad was a farmer for most of his life.

I have no idea what you would call it though. Mass delusion? A ghost? Mental telepathy? If it was just one person who saw it I'd question it alot more but all of them witnessed this. This coupled with my time at Covatta's is why I firmly believe there is something to "ghosts". Even if it's not dead people walking around or spirits, there is some phenomenon at work here that we still haven't explained.

Well yeah, I kind of do, but I'm not sure it qualifies as a ghost story or not....

A friend I went to high school with who grew up just down the road from me had a bizarre experience a little over a year ago. He had just got done eating lunch at his parents house on a Saturday afternoon with his mom and dad, his sister, and his then girlfriend. They were sitting at the kitchen table talking when his dad noticed his sister (my friend's aunt, her name was Tammy) standing in the doorway to the hallway, out of the kitchen. They were all startled to see her, joking that she snuck in. Tammy just smiled and said that she just stopped by to say goodbye, and that she loved them. She waved and turned around and walked down the hallway out of sight. Everyone laughed as they thought she was being funny in a "just got here got to go bye" kind of way, so they asked her back to the table to help clean up leftovers. After a few seconds passed and there wasn't any reply or sound, Sam (my buddy) got up to go see where she walked off to thinking she was just in the living room waiting or something, but they couldn't find her anywhere in the house. The doors and windows were all closed, there wasn't a car outside, it was like she just vanished. His dad called her phone but didn't get any answer.

About two hours later they found out that she had died in a horrible car accident early that morning at roughly the same time they talked to her in the kitchen.

Really fucked up, as they all saw and heard her, and Tammy seemed as real as ever to them. The whole neighborhood talked about it for years afterwards. I know the whole family very well, I even knew his aunt Tammy a bit. Sam and his family are pretty down to Earth people, the dad was a farmer for most of his life.

I have no idea what you would call it though. Mass delusion? A ghost? Mental telepathy? If it was just one person who saw it I'd question it alot more but all of them witnessed this. This coupled with my time at Covatta's is why I firmly believe there is something to "ghosts". Even if it's not dead people walking around or spirits, there is some phenomenon at work here that we still haven't explained.

Great story, but what's the bolded part about?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Great story, but what's the bolded part about?

I talked about the haunted restaurant I worked at for many years a few pages back in this thread. "Haunted" in that I can't explain all the crap that used to go on there regularly.

Feeling in the mood for some creepy shit and I'm shortly going to be on my own in the office for a couple of hours. Anyone got any good scary stuff I could read, or scary TV shows/films on YouTube I could watch?

Surprised at the amount of non-believers! I'd say the possibility can always be there, however unlikely.

But it's far more likely that OP is hallucinating or loopy than paranormal forces, or even more so, that another human being got into his room. Why is that harder to believe than ghosts?

This fellow on the next page said it well:
Recap:
Something smells
Ketchup is on the wall
Conclusion: Ghost

My father watches ancient aliens and things like that. Somehow it seems to him, that the possibility of aliens being involved is somehow more likely than some other unknown, but very real method, of, let's say, building pyramids or whatever they talk about on those crazy shows..

I think the better way to look at it isn't to give up reason and suspect ghosts. Increase your reasoning and investigation. Consider the most unlikely of realistic situations, because they're always going to be reproducible and physically and actually possible, and therefore more likely than ghosts. Even if your apartment door was locked, it's a very real, and observed thing, that a lock can be picked.

It may seem odd or unusual that another person may have squirted ketchup on your wall, let alone, get into your home, but it's very possible. Even you having a split personality would be more possible and observable than ghost antics.

OP, there may be a great mystery here, and the more bizarre it seems, the more interesting the situation will be, because I assure you, something very real and not paranormal happened here, and it seems like a fun task to attempt to solve the mystery without involving ghosts. I'm counting on you to do your best. Become the next great detective!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom