• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I wish Smash 4 had added more Event Mode battles for DLC characters

Malyse

Off the top of my head:
  • Bayonetta vs an army of Pit and Dark Pit with Palutena as the last enemy.
  • Corrin versus Fire Emblem veterans
  • Cloud vs Link
  • Your choice of character vs all the DLC characters
It's not a major thing, and I'm generally satisfied with the amazing game we have now, but I think it would have been a nice touch.

Any Event Mode scenarios you'd have liked to seen? Doesn't have to be DLC related.

-----

Also, I think that the assist trophies should have been enemies in Smash Run as well as Event Mode.

Platy

Cloud have to protect Zelda holding a Lip's Stick from every sword user in the game

Also, I always saw the lack of any event where you have to copy a certain amount of characters as kirby a serious lack of potential

Richie

NX remaster to take care of that, alongside giving proper trophy/music/assist trophy representation to Street Fighter and Final Fantasy, plus custom moves for DLC chars. I'd bet on it.

Malyse

How would that work unlocking-wise, given that players can theoretically purchase only some of the characters?

You get events for the characters you have playable. If the DLC character is the opponent, you also get the event (just like how you can fight characters you don't own online).

But honestly, who doesn't have all the Smash DLC? Do those people exist on this site?

Het_Nkik

How would that work unlocking-wise, given that players can theoretically purchase only some of the characters?

I guess a separate page on the Events screen where the events are only available if you have the required characters for them. No branching paths like the main page. Just whatever you can play is available to select.

Revven

I wish they'd patch in a RESTART/RETRY button for Event matches. The single reason I stopped playing that mode after I got the unlockable stages/characters.

They're far branches and don't unlock anything but more DLC challenges for that character. Not hard.

Then I can't have any events involving multiple DLC characters.

Unlocking everything not involving unbought characters technically works but eeeeh. The whole point of event mode to me is that it has some progression element to it.

I wish they'd patch in a RESTART/RETRY button for Event matches. The single reason I stopped playing that mode after I got the unlockable stages/characters.

THE TRUTH HAS BEEN SPOKEN.

Seriously, how do you fuck up so bad you forget something as basic as this small feature.
But no, nintendo wants to make you wait 2 minutes between each attempt.

Malyse

Then I can't have any events involving multiple DLC characters.

Unlocking everything not involving unbought characters technically works but eeeeh. The whole point of event mode to me is that it has some progression element to it.

Someone else had a brilliant idea: you just get all the DLC. If you don't have that character, then it's a demo for how they play and subtle encouragement to go get them.

There's a lot of weird tiny things like that that have been in the game for awhile but were never addressed in patches. Like how ROB's eyes don't work in the Wii U game.

Another good example: Pac-Man lacks his iconic death cry when KO'd, but he has that sound in StreetSmash, implying he was supposed to have it in the regular game.

Stopdoor

No custom moves for the DLC characters kind of makes the whole custom move system seem even more bad than it already is.

SalvaPot

Yes, more new events would be neat (Even if I got stuck in one event because the song won't load so I can't play it).

On the other hand, we got an absolutely gargantuan amount of characters, like, holy shit just looking at the CSS is enough for anyone to go "Daaaaaaaamn".

Hopefully we do get an enhanced NX version with Ice Climbers
and Kumatora

smash 4 dropped the ball on single player content in general
Yep.

I love the game, it's been my favorite smash bros by far. I'm still playing it with friends and having fun learning new characters, which is more than I can say for any of the previous titles.

However there is no Adventure mode to go through. Classic and All Star mode just keeps pitting me in chaotic 8 player battles, where my smash attacks seem to KO characters like it's a multi-man event. Events are alright but as mentioned I get really irritated restarting the hard ones over and over.

If I didn't have a few friends to play this with I'd be really unhappy with it.

Devil

smash 4 dropped the ball on single player content in general

It's not just SP content, it's content or all the modes in general. Online MP is also lackluster as hell, which is a shame for a modern fighting game. No wait, even local MP modes like that boardgame are trash.

The biggest strength of Smash 4 is that the general gameplay is awesome as it is, which is luckily the most important thing to make it fun. Most of the things built around that heavily disappointed me, though. As did Brawl.

I'd just like to see the character select scree on the Wii U version given a proper alignment if you purchase all of the characters. That thing gives me a headache looking at it.

Malyse

Some more ideas:

Throwback Showdown: You vs Ganondorf, Mewtwo, and Giga Bowser on Final Destination, three stocks each.

Roy vs. Ike (Reference to a few FE:A DLC missions, which themselves were a reference to their previous appearances in Smash, full circle).

Ryu vs. Little Mac (Blue Costume, Red Gloves), Lucina (Yellow Costume) and Ganondorf (Red Costume) (Ryu vs. Shadowloo (Boxer, Claw, and Dictator))

Top Bottom