• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

id Software dev: Developers adopting DX12 over Vulkan literally makes no sense

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
They do it because people are literally morons who are willing to pay a premium to apple for less control over everything except their uninformed bragging rights. The apple crowd are a truly miserable bunch of people who really love being treated like shit.

You can criticize Apple for their closed down choices but calling people who buy Apple products morons is not the way to create proper discussion. Now I can't take anything you say seriously.

Widge

Big presser here for Civ6:

http://www.marketwired.com/press-re...eiers-civilizationr-vi-nasdaq-amd-2142057.htm

Today AMD (NASDAQ: AMD), 2K and Firaxis Games announced a technical partnership to implement a truly exceptional DirectX® 12 renderer for Radeon™ GPUs into the graphics engine powering Sid Meier's Civilization® VI.
Complete with support for advanced DirectX® 12 features like asynchronous compute and explicit multi-adapter, PC gamers the world over will be treated to a high-performance and highly-parallelized game engine perfectly suited to sprawling civilizations designed to win hearts, minds, and the stars.

"Radeon™ graphics cards have rapidly become the definitive platform for next-generation DirectX® 12 content," said Roy Taylor, corporate vice president of alliances, Radeon Technologies Group, AMD. "We're thrilled to bring our leading DirectX® 12 hardware and expertise to bear in the next installment of the Civilization franchise, which has long been adored by gamers for its intoxicating mix of beautiful graphics and hopelessly addictive gameplay."

"For 25 years the Civilization franchise has set the standard for beautiful and masterfully crafted turn based strategy," said Steve Meyer, Director of Software Development, Firaxis Games. "AMD has been a premiere contributor to that reputation in past Civilization titles, and we're excited to once again join forces to deliver a landmark experience in Sid Meier's Civilization® VI."

DirectX® 12 Asynchronous Compute

Asynchronous compute is a DirectX® 12 feature exclusively supported by the Graphics Core Next or Polaris architectures found in many AMD Radeon™ graphics cards. This powerful feature allows for parallel execution of compute and graphics tasks, substantially reducing the time other architectures need to execute the same workloads in a longer step-by-step manner. Asynchronous compute on many Radeon™ GPUs will perfectly complement the unit-rich late game of Civilization VI.

DirectX® 12 Explicit Multi-Adapter

Explicit multi-adapter represents the first time the DirectX® graphics API has officially supported multi-GPU configurations for gamers. Though past versions of the DirectX® API did not prevent multi-GPU support, there were no extensions that specifically aided its addition. DirectX® 12 explicit multi-adapter not only adds official Microsoft support, but augments that support with a range of powerful features and flexibility to unleash the imagination of a game developer. The benefit of multi-GPU can be legion: higher framerates, lower input latency, capacity for higher image quality and more. Explicit multi-adapter support will be an excellent feature addition for Radeon™ graphics customers who demand the very most from their Civilization VI experience.

tskeeve

They do it because people are literally morons who are willing to pay a premium to apple for less control over everything except their uninformed bragging rights. The apple crowd are a truly miserable bunch of people who really love being treated like shit.

Is this a joke? Way to paint millions of people with an incredibly broad brush. I'm well-informed. I buy apple laptops because I love the user experience of Mac OS - nothing more. Maybe you should reconsider your statement.

cakely

Wow! Edgy.

As far as I can tell, they don't actually block AMD or NVIDIA. They just have their own graphics driver as default.
Yeah, that's kind of the impression I'm getting as well. It seems that if the hardware is Vulkan-capable and AMD/NV are so inclined, they can release a Vulkan-compatible driver, which will then be pushed out as a system update, because just about everyone has a built-in GPU of some sort.

Then what? You just need a Vulkan-aware engine like Unreal or Unity, and up to date users, and you're set? Is there anything else that needs to happen in between?

leeh

Is this a joke? Way to paint millions of people with an incredibly broad brush. I'm well-informed. I buy apple laptops because I love the user experience of Mac OS - nothing more. Maybe you should reconsider your statement.
The only thing Mac is good for is the native Linux terminal, something Windows 10 now has, with a better subsystem and support.

I know I'm salty.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The only thing Mac is good for is the native Linux terminal, something Windows 10 now has, with a better subsystem and support.

I know I'm salty.

Oh well, I can install Windows 10 on it too... Just use macOS a lot more because I like it more and feel more productive overall (and working with Android and iOS it is pretty much a must)... Cannot say that between Apple's official BSD tools and libraries support that there is something I miss that either brew, Node's npm, or ruby gem will not provide
What I miss the most is the full Visual Studio, although the multiplatform and open source Visual Studio Code rocks all my non strictly native work, and the excellent search function... Spotlight is really not dependable. I do not game on PC a great deal and for what I cannot run good enough on macOS I have Windows really close by... a reboot or a VM away.

The integration of its UI tools and command line scripts, with and without explicit AppleScript hooks is great and the overall OS is still more customisable than people give it credit to.

Top Bottom