• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IFixit Xbox One S teardown reveals Wireless AC and SATA III

MCD

Wi-Fi is handled by a MediaTek MT7612UN (Likely a variation of MT7612U 2x2 802.11ac Wi-Fi Module)

We find a Samsung Seagate Spinpoint M9T ST2000LM003 2 TB 5400 RPM with 32 MB Cache SATA III 6.0 Gb/s hard drive. Try saying that ten times fast.

Luckily, the One S packs a sweet SATA III drive, an upgrade from the original's SATA II. Plus, you can always add an external hard drive, thanks Microsoft!

Thanks to:
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Xbox%20One%20S%20Teardown/65572

Not sure if known but the S uses SATA III and 802.11ac

Not sure why this isn't advertised.

Finally SATA III.

Now Sony needs to put SATA III in the Neo so we can see how ridiculous an SSD is at full speed in a console.

ekim

DIVlHaoPowNQaLsi.huge

tehehe:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1206958
(compare the model numbers or FCC ID)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wireless AC? Sorry but what is that for those of us that don't know?

the standards that describe how wireless internet works are described in the document IEEE (this is the standards organization) 802.11 (this is the number of the standard). the initial consumer wireless standard was 802.11b. later, the replacement was 802.11g. then 802.11n. then 802.11ac. each standard is backwards compatible, so you can use 802.11ac gear with 802.11b networks, but not forwards compatible (so if you want to use 802.11b gear with 802.11ac networks, the ac network needs to slow itself down and be a b network). 802.11ac is the fastest current standard. it's not just speed but also how speed is shared between clients, distance you can get a signal, etc. that's affected by the standard version.

Man. Too bad the internal HDD isn't replaceable. Stellar redesign besides the lack of this feature. AC support is definitely nice to see as well.

c0de

Because the hard drive isn't user-replaceable and SATA III makes no real difference to 5200rpm mechanical drives.

SATA 2 to 3 doesn't make a big difference at all. No matter if it's user replaceable or not. The external is the better solution if you want speed.

Finally SATA III.

Now Sony needs to put SATA III in the Neo so we can see how ridiculous an SSD is at full speed in a console.

Even with SATA2, SSDs are hella faster than a crappy HDD platter.

I had a SSD in a 1st Gen i7 PC (sata2, usb2, PCIe2) and boot times, load times and shutdown times were awesome.

The Read/Write speeds alone are huge boost, nevermind the bus.

SATA III is pretty much not going to make a difference on a drive that is 5400 RPM. But its not like they could fit a regular 7200 rpm drive either considering the size especially with the power brick now being internal.

icespide

Banned
is wireless ac actually enabled though? correct me if I'm wrong but the original fat xbox one has the chip for wireless ac as well but its not enabled

SATA 2 to 3 doesn't make a big difference at all. No matter if it's user replaceable or not. The external is the better solution if you want speed.

Mainly because of the game loading from a different hard drive than the main hard drive I'm guessing. I'm curious how a SSDD would function internally compared to externally with SATA III on XB1.

Maybe they are trying to do what Apple does and not advertise the more minor quality of life inprovements so often.
Hmmm

They still have old XB1s sell.

zedge

is wireless ac actually enabled though? correct me if I'm wrong but the original fat xbox one has the chip for wireless ac as well but its not enabled
Huh? I connected to ac with my old xbone. This already existed no?

I'm confused.

c0de

Mainly because of the game loading from a different hard drive than the main hard drive I'm guessing. I'm curious how a SSDD would function internally compared to externally with SATA III on XB1.

First: Yes, it is because the external only does games while the internal will do caching, logging and mainly os stuff which is “expensive“ as seek and access times are still bad on mechanical disks.
Second: you can exchange the internal disk, there is a tutorial on the internet. But you lose your warranty.
It will of course make things better like booting and it will be faster than USB most probably but not really something you will feel.

kaioshade

So, there is no way to clone the existing HDD onto a SSD? i swore people had methods to do that with the first revision Xbox One. people were even putting 2TB drives into their systems before Microsoft did.

icespide

Banned
Does your modem/router support ac? My modem does both and both networks would show up in WiFi settings so I connected to the 5g one.

yes my router supports AC, I use it on my phone, iPad and laptop.

your 5GHZ network is AC only? or N/AC mixed?

zedge

yes my router supports AC, I use it on my phone, iPad and laptop.

your 5GHZ network is AC only? or N/AC mixed?
Not sure. Two connections display when you search WiFi. My iPad, phone etc all support ac so those I connect to the 5g. I assume that's AC.

icespide

Banned
Not sure. Two connections display when you search WiFi. My iPad, phone etc all support ac so those I connect to the 5g. I assume that's AC.

I can't speak for your own set up obviously, but if you have a dual band router you would see the 2 different networks for 2.4 and 5ghz. my 2.4 band is G/N mixed and my 5ghz band is N/AC mixed because I have 5gz devices i'd like to connect that don't support AC.

I'd suspect your 5ghz band is AC/N mixed unless you specifically set it to be AC only

Gxgear

Neo better step up, I'm sure Scorpio will receive the same treatment. Desperately needed upgrades for consoles.

hodgy100

If it were user replaceable you could stick an SSD in it which would most certantly benefit from SATA 3

THE:MILKMAN

Looks nice, simple and clean like the latest PS4 but those 16 RAM chips stick out. I guess the cost of the 16nm shrink and UHD upgrades took all the budget.

Interesting that the PSU uses a standard 6-pin PCI-E power connector. The Scorpio render also had one. Was the render more representative than thought?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
There is no way that external drive through USB is faster than the same type of SATA3 internal drive.

ps3ud0

Have MS confirmed its using a SATA 3 controller? The southbridge has an identical name as the one found in the XO so I wouldn't be surprised if it's still using SATA 2.

Also not brought up anything on the PSU - still thinking it's 180W.

ps3ud0 8)

ethomaz

Banned
Little question... is it confirmed SATA3 controller??? Because you can use SATA3 HDD in SATA2 controller... the speed is limited to SATA2.

If you can replace it and put a SSD then SATA3 makes a big difference.

Top Bottom