• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IFixit Xbox One S teardown reveals Wireless AC and SATA III

Chris R

Awesome system. I'd love to see what one without the optical drive would look like though. I'd be buying one of these today if the Xbone games coming out later this year weren't coming to PC too :(

THE:MILKMAN

Have MS confirmed its using a SATA 3 controller? The southbridge has an identical name as the one found in the XO so I wouldn't be surprised if it's still using SATA 2.

Also not brought up anything on the PSU - still thinking it's 180W.

ps3ud0 8)

The PSU figures for DC are: 12V---10A so 120W?

Edit. I would love for someone to explain the difference between the AC input and DC output figures. Like I said before the PS4 figures for AC and DC tally but the ones on the Xbox don't.

i always look forward to IFixit teardowns, the true MVPs. cool on ms part to put in AC wireless and SATAIII, hopefully sony doesnt fuck up by not upgrading those parts as well but in that sense im not expecting much from them lol

My biggest with MS's approach. I don't want more wires and stuff dangling around in my entertainment center.

As much as I hate wires, I think the Xbox One has a more consumer friendly approach in this manner. I was able to just buy an external hard drive for my Xbox One and plug it in months after buying the system and downloading tons of games. I've just been dealing with 500GB for my PS4 because I don't want to have to re-download all of my games and put the OS on a flash drive to swap things out.

SATA III!

Finally, Sony better do the same on NEO

And I don't care if one or the other OS's don't benefit from increased drive speed, they need to get with the times

icespide

Banned
As much as I hate wires, I think the Xbox One has a more consumer friendly approach in this manner. I was able to just buy an external hard drive for my Xbox One and plug it in months after buying the system and downloading tons of games. I've just been dealing with 500GB for my PS4 because I don't want to have to re-download all of my games and put the OS on a flash drive to swap things out.

I agree its not as plug and play as the xbox one but you don't have to re-download all of your games when you upgrade your PS4 hard drive. you can back up everything to another hard drive and do a restore

also: do we have any confirmation of 802.11ac actually working on the Xbox One S? per my previous post the fat Xbox One has a AC chip as well but its not enabled

ps3ud0

Why are people celebrating SATA 3 when it doesnt have a SATA 3 controller? It has a SATA 3 HDD because in this day and age its probably harder/more expensive to source a SATA 2 HDD...

Hopefully the OP corrects that

ps3ud0 8)

I agree its not as plug and play as the xbox one but you don't have to re-download all of your games when you upgrade your PS4 hard drive. you can back up everything to another hard drive and do a restore

Thank you for the correction, I didn't know the PS4 supported backing up your game collection. I'm not sure if that's better or worse honestly. While re-downloading 500GB of games would suck, backing up my collection in this scenario would require a second hard drive just to back up games. That's junk if you ask me.

icespide

Banned
Thank you for the correction, I didn't know the PS4 supported backing up your game collection. I'm not sure if that's better or worse honestly. While re-downloading 500GB of games would suck, backing up my collection in this scenario would require a second hard drive just to back up games. That's junk if you ask me.

agreed, it's not as convenient as just plugging in a new hard drive

LordOfChaos

Wireless AC, noice. SATA III is nice as well, though it remains to be seen if there's any load time speedup or it was all CPU-bound anyways. EDIT: Oh, just a SATA III hard drive does not a SATA III system make. You can barely find SATA II hard drives new anymore. Guess it matters less for the XBO too since no internal swappable hard drive.

Sony has zero excuse to be shipping 2.4GHz N wifi PS4s for their next minor update, not even waiting till Neo, that stays slow even if the router is within spitting distance of the PS4.

It's nice but I don't get it.

Why have SATA3 when you're not allowed to upgrade to an SSD?

^^

I think Ifixit made a blooper, it's a SATA III drive but the southbridge is the same, so presumably still SATA II.

clav

SATA speeds don't really matter since there's no SSD.

Still limited by mechanical operation, not bandwidth. Number of platters/heads + cache.

the standards that describe how wireless internet works are described in the document IEEE (this is the standards organization) 802.11 (this is the number of the standard). the initial consumer wireless standard was 802.11b. later, the replacement was 802.11g. then 802.11n. then 802.11ac. each standard is backwards compatible, so you can use 802.11ac gear with 802.11b networks, but not forwards compatible (so if you want to use 802.11b gear with 802.11ac networks, the ac network needs to slow itself down and be a b network). 802.11ac is the fastest current standard. it's not just speed but also how speed is shared between clients, distance you can get a signal, etc. that's affected by the standard version.

AC hardware standard recently updated for wave 2 (MU-MIMO) although I highly doubt this Xbox supports it.

Trup1aya

Man. Too bad the internal HDD isn't replaceable. Stellar redesign besides the lack of this feature. AC support is definitely nice to see as well.

My biggest with MS's approach. I don't want more wires and stuff dangling around in my entertainment center.

I really feel like replaceable HDDs is an inelegant solution for consoles. You either 1) swap it out at launch, leaving you with an unused HDD that can't compliment you consoles storage or 2) upgrade later and have to deal with the annoyance of transferring your files.

Having both as an option is ideal ofcourse, but if I had to choose one, I'd go with external everytime. Especially since they make these. No wires at all!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I hope NEO has these upgrades in place along with 4K, BD and such, but since Sony have sat on these kinds of things with PS4 and all the way back to PS3, somehow i am doubting that unfortunately.

Especially for wireless AC or 5ghz, i think it would go a long way to fixing their connection issues in their consoles that is so prevalent compared to Xbox consoles going back 10 years. And Sata 3 is an obvious plus for load times and other things

Pagusas

Elden Member
Wait why do we care about Sata III when the drive is a 5400rpm mechanical drive that you cant upgrade to an SSD. There should be absolutly no performance difference between sata II and III on a 5400rpm drive. Why does anyone care?

Not sure. Two connections display when you search WiFi. My iPad, phone etc all support ac so those I connect to the 5g. I assume that's AC.

wireless n can still connect to wireless ac routers. your xbone is wireless n, which can work on 2.4ghz + 5ghz bands. that's why you're still able to connect to your 5ghz network.

Wait why do we care about Sata III when the drive is a 5400rpm mechanical drive that you cant upgrade to an SSD. There should be absolutly no performance difference between sata II and III on a 5400rpm drive. Why does anyone care?

It looks like it can be upgraded, but just not easily.

ZOONAMI

Perhaps Ms will eventually allow swapping the internal drive? Long shot I suppose.

No user replaceable HDD is unfortunate but theres still external drive support so it's not really a huge loss.

As for AC wifi, it's only going to be helpful for people with crowded 2.4Ghz networks or for streaming. N offers more range and is more affordable. If you can help it, wire your devices, no latency, no slowdowns, low cost. If you're gaming or streaming 4K you really should be wired.

Uh, wires are just a thing. I guess if your setup is just a tv and a console I can see how you would be annoyed because that's what you're used to. But if you have a proper setup with a tv, sound system and even a pc, tons of wires are going to exist if you like it or not. And if you have that setup you probably already had a few externals in your entertainment center and have went the extra mile to hide the wires. I know I had multiple externals in my entertainment area before the Xbox ever supported them. Not to mention external drives have a lot of pluses. I can just grab the external and plug It into a friend's console having all of my content without having to drag the entire console out with me. Sony needs to support them like right now.

Anyway, I love my Xbox One S so far. Small, looks great (wish I could have got it in black though), quiet as hell, and the OS definitely seems snappier than my launch XBone. Problem is I jumped into 4K fast and my set is missing a lot of features. Pretty sure the only 4k content I can really run right now is UHD Blu-Rays and Netflix if they update the app. The 4K settings screen on the Xbox is just a sea of unsupported red for me right now, soooooo I really want a new tv... I was happy with the set until I got the S. Thanks MS.

ethomaz

Banned
From Digital Foundry interview. So you're going to have SATA2 speeds.
So confirmed SATAII controller?

They just put a SATAIII HDD in a SATAII controller... it will only work in SATAII mode and even is you change the HDD it will be always SATAII.

Looking at IFixit the SouthBridge is the same than original Xbox... that means the same I/O controllers.

Is there a point in SATA III if you're only using a 5400 drive?
It is SATAII... not SATAIII... only the drive is SATAIII.

OP needs to be updated to be accurate.

Penello said it is the exact same southbridge, so this is only a Sata III drive on a Sata II controller. I figure nobody manufacture Sata II drives of that size, since there is no reason to do so.

Guess Who

Banned
The internals of this thing are so nicely designed and put together. They spent as much time making the inside look nice as the outside.

The internals of this thing are so nicely designed and put together. They spent as much time making the inside look nice as the outside.

Yeah looks great inside, simple yet well thought out design. Nice little touches like Master Chief on the Blu-Ray drive cover, power supply and other parts easily replaceable, Hello from Seattle etching on the outside, etc. Great job design team!

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is the secret best thing though
1470298173-little-master-chief-xbox-one-s-optical-disc-drive-bracket.jpg

Top Bottom