• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: 13 Things you should know about Resident Evil 7

Lets wait and see how it does. Resident Evil is a huge name, unless the game is actually garbage and gets panned I'm pretty sure it will sell well because its Resident Evil. I personally don't think RE 5 and 6 sold so well because they were action focused, I think it was because Resident Evil is a huge name.

Look how REmaster and Zero sold,
You literally can't make a better Resident Evil than REmake(It didn't do well originally as an exclusive) and even a half priced remaster of it is only doing well.

I know. Resident Evil 6 sucked. It's time for a change.

I hope they at least use RE6's combat system in a new game, maybe that Umbrella Corps one. I haven't seen much footage of that. The problem is RE6 has the most dogshit campaign I've ever played. It's SO poorly designed in nearly every single way that makes it feel like its trying to actively ruin all the fun parts of the game. It's total, total shit.

The way I see it, they can still continue RE in three forms -

1. RE7 route of first person, modern gaming inspired horror
2. Old School RE will be kept alive via Revelations, RE2 remakes and re-releases of Remake, CV, Zero etc
3. Action RE will continue in Umbrella Corps and likely more, 5 and 4 coming to PS4/XBO

So everyone should be happy. But that won't happen.

And when this does half of 4,5, or 6 everyone's tears won't be so enjoyable.

You're nuts. RE is Capcom's biggest series, its still a relevant name due to the movies and constant re-releases and even mediocre games like RE0 manage to do gangbusters when re-released. RE5 and RE4 releases on PS4/XBO will end up selling a ton. Resident Evil is a series people know.

And considering Capcom's rather dire financial straits, they don't necessarily need to have it sell 10m copies because they don't have 600 people working on it like RE6, at least I would assume.

You literally can't make a better Resident Evil than REmake(It didn't do well originally as an exclusive) and even a half priced remaster of it is only doing well.

...What are you talking about? REmake on PS4 smashed records and did extremely well for Capcom. Zero is a pretty bad game and it still sold well.

Boke1879

I just need Capcom to come out and say what the deal is with the axe and the dummy finger in the demo and we're all good.

Combat? Resource Manangement? puzzles? impossible.

Reading the reveal thread a bunch of gaffers said it was just a slow walking simulator where all you do is hide

Shauni

Dat elistism

LOL

Yeah, unfortunately, a bad side effect of this RE7 new direction is it's brought up a lot of the bullshit elitist from "old school" RE fans. For the most part that had subsided over the last year or so, but I guess a lot of them were just waiting for something to bring out that shit again.

so1337

I never would've guessed that they would drastically change the direction of RE a second time. It's such a bold and exciting thing to do. Mikami would be proud.
Xnngg5P.gif

It's sounding like a great direction for the series. I'm really looking forward to this.
SETTING THE TONE

-MD-

Honestly this all sounds great. Between this and RE2 they've won me back, I haven't been interested in a RE game in a long time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How you can tell this is a shitty clickbait article title: Because there are not 13 real items in the list, but clickbait demands that if the list has an unusual non-multiple-of-5 number that psychological engagement is higher so they stretch it out to 13.

Fuck Buzzfeed, fuck shitty click lists, and I hope the person writing this weighs their culpability in making the world a dumber place against their need to pay the bills.

Yeah, unfortunately, a bad side effect of this RE7 new direction is it's brought up a lot of the bullshit elitist from "old school" RE fans. For the most part that had subsided over the last year or so, but I guess a lot of them were just waiting for something to bring out that shit again.

I loved RE4 but to me the series was going downhill fast. Yes I'm glad they are making big changes to the series. It's also funny that people who loved the departure 4 took and continued with 5 and 6 seem so upset that they are doing something different again.

I don't think you can really compare a remaster of a remake and zero remake to a new title. There will be a huge push for this game that those games didn't get.

Wedzi

Banned
7. Fewer But More Meaningful Enemies

Love when games take this approach to enemy design. Can't wait to see more.

14. WHAT THE FUCK DOES THE FINGER DO!!!!!!!!!?????

Well, I don't like what I'm hearing. Unless this gets great reviews or MiamiWesker says it's good, I'm forgetting about this.

Thanks for the vote of confidence but as a VR owner I may be viewing this differently than most. I am putting aside my disgust for the first person viewpoint because I will play this in VR and that may change my opinion a bit if I was just playing it normal. That said I am still a RE fan at heart and if this doesn't do the series justice I will be pissed. But something about it makes me think everything is going to be ok. I bet the first time we see locked doors, keys, random fountain puzzles and awesome monsters we will all be excited.

vpance

Sounds like a reboot to me.

I don't believe Capcom could have given us an action TPS for RE7 even if they wanted to make it. They are completely destitute and devoid of the manpower needed to make a game of that scale now.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear

Srsly.

It's not even cute.

Shauni

I loved RE4 but to me the series was going downhill fast. Yes I'm glad they are making big changes to the series. It's also funny that people who loved the departure 4 took and continued with 5 and 6 seem so upset that they are doing something different again.

It's fine if you feel that way, but there's really no reason to be an elitist asshole about it or anything, that was mainly what I was talking about.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's not necessarily a good thing to go
"We suffereres now it's your turn"

It's not so much that as it's that resident evil went through a significant change with 4 and lots of people in the gaming community acted as if the classic games were dated and a product of their time. I.e. outdated/unplayable games.

This return to a more classic style shows that there is room for both types of RE games. It's a good thing for everyone.

How you can tell this is a shitty clickbait article title: Because there are not 13 real items in the list, but clickbait demands that if the list has an unusual non-multiple-of-5 number that psychological engagement is higher so they stretch it out to 13.

Fuck Buzzfeed, fuck shitty click lists, and I hope the person writing this weighs their culpability in making the world a dumber place against their need to pay the bills.

Go Tell Aunt Rhody

I agree tho

13 interesting facts about salt.

silva1991

Criticism of Resident Evil 6 Was Heard............ so instead of fixing it's problems we made a totally new IP that looks like the games that made Pewdiepie popular and named it RE7

great. can't wait for DMC5 it's gonna be amazing.

Shauni

I don't think I've been an elitist asshole. Just stated I find something amusing.

I wasn't talking about you (unless you have been in the past? I don't know), just generally. It's a nasty little attitude that really shit up RE threads to the point of them being worthless for quite awhile. Seemed like we were getting away from that, but it seems some want to try and bring it back.

Astral Dog

Sounds like a reboot to me.

I don't believe Capcom could have given us an action TPS for RE7 even if they wanted to make it. They are completely destitute and devoid of the manpower needed to make a game of that scale now.

Its a soft reboot, ala God of War,

if it does not work they can always go back to the old characters and situations without throwing away the canon

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The tone of the demo single handedly sold me on buying a PlayStation VR. I feel like it's something I have to absolutely experience in VR.

We saw PT and were like, "...we can do that!"
I don't think I'm on board this one. PT's ability to be really trippy and provacative was the selling point for me.

We’re trying take it into a more personal and intimate scale of horror by there being fewer enemies, but each one poses a significant threat. That’s the kind of horror approach we’re going for."

Rather like the sound of this. Making each enemy horrifying and nervewrecking to face and I'll be satisfied.

"If it’s too scary, close your eyes inside the VR headset."

Heh.

fart town usa

Gold Member
6. Maintaining Mystery Is Crucial

That is really exciting to read. When the first game out, it was a total mystery playing it for the first time. Something I really liked about it.

Neiteio

OK, I'm warming up to this after reading the OP. It really sounds like they have a good idea what they're doing. This could work, although I still long to see the characters and creatures I like so much. And I hope the game isn't devoid of heart and humor.

Concept17

RE 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games of all time. But they can't go back to those kinds of mechanics, they have to modernize. PT showed us what that could be like and now RE7 is taking that and running with it.

That and everything that's being said is exactly what I want out of Resident Evil.

Astral Dog

I hope they at least use RE6's combat system in a new game, maybe that Umbrella Corps one. I haven't seen much footage of that. The problem is RE6 has the most dogshit campaign I've ever played. It's SO poorly designed in nearly every single way that makes it feel like its trying to actively ruin all the fun parts of the game. It's total, total shit.

The way I see it, they can still continue RE in three forms -

1. RE7 route of first person, modern gaming inspired horror
2. Old School RE will be kept alive via Revelations, RE2 remakes and re-releases of Remake, CV, Zero etc
3. Action RE will continue in Umbrella Corps and likely more, 5 and 4 coming to PS4/XBO

So everyone should be happy. But that won't happen.

And considering Capcom's rather dire financial straits, they don't necessarily need to have it sell 10m copies because they don't have 600 people working on it like RE6, at least I would assume.

you know, that is a very good list, nothing wrong with expanding and differentiating the series.

Criticism of Resident Evil 6 Was Heard............ so instead of fixing it's problems we made a totally new IP that looks like the games that made Pewdiepie popular and named it RE7

great. can't wait for DMC5 it's gonna be amazing.

Can you really not see how popular something like P.T. was or how games like Slender or Outlast or Amnesia and imagine that wouldn't get Capcom thinking? As you say they are reacting to the rise of Twitch/YouTube "influencers" but thats not inherently a bad thing. They are just following a market trend, and the game will likely be successful for them.

Really hate this idea that first person horror is somehow invalidated because of fucking Youtubers.

They're not making a new IP. The teaser alone is the most Resident Evil feeling thing in a long while. The ingredients are there. It's just a perspective.

Top Bottom