• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: 13 Things you should know about Resident Evil 7

Jawmuncher

Revelations being for action fans is quite the wild card. Since both games have really tried different things. While both trying to tone down the action as well.

I hardly think it's a "bold new direction"...it feels more like a "me too" direction since these kind of first person horror games have been a streamer's favorite genre for years.

This is not Outlast, Slender, or Amnesia where all you can do is run and hide. He even points this out in the interview.

Shauni

Cry me a river and I'll drink it too.

It can still suck my asshole.

Gotta say, reading your posts have been amusing because it's clear you're deeply troubled by this game. lol

I'm actually not, I've very open-minded to it and have been following the demo discussion very closely. I'm open, but I've always spoken out against the elitism that supposed 'old school' fans like yourself like to shew to 'new school' fans and games. I'm actually a fan of all styles of RE. This is nothing new, and something I've called out long before RE7 was a thing.

I can see where you're confused, though, since I'm not screaming at people to toss my salad or wanting to drink others tears out of my own asshole. These are obviously the signs of a non-troubled individual.

Bishop89

I still think they dropped the ball on this. Even if the game is a great horror experience, I feel they have taken away what set RE apart from every other horror franchise.

The campiness, b-movie feel was very charming and I think is the "soul" of the franchise. Trying to "mature" and be serious isnt what I wanted from 7.

This feels like if kojima made mgs6, made it first person with a serious spy story like splinter cell and getting rid of all that Japanese humour.

I'm still getting the game but don't like the direction they are going

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
You're kidding yourself if you don't see that this new direction is based off what is popular in horror these days. Games like Amnesia, Outlast and PT. Which yes are very popular with Youtubers and streamers.

The action direction was Capcom chasing what was popular at the time and they are doing the exact same thing here.

So you are saying that RE7 will be a hide-and-seek simulator.

labx

Banned
Oh My Fucking God.!!!!!!!!!!!

They did it... they finally throwed those tired characters to the trash, an old wish of mine, to start anew with a fresh cash of characters, wich was needed a bit after how poorly have they handled them for years.

Dude... you know deep down that the game is going to be full of references and Easter eggs. I don't know why Capcom did not reboot the whole thing. And yes I'm down with new characters.

The funny thing is that I feel that in the long run this may satisfy classic needs more. I'm super beyond excited for that remake, but I think the first person view is really throwing people off and making folks think it's not gonna feel like Resident Evil and I think the exact opposite is about to happen.
I'd love for this to happen. I want to be excited here, I mean, it's Resident Evil 7. 7. Instead I'm confused and cautious because it's current Capcom. I'll remain open minded until I see actual gameplay but for now I just don't trust Capcom completely.

One thing I'm surprised at is that Capcom hasn't announced an Outbreak 3 yet. With the massive success of 200,000 open world zombie survival online games you would think Capcom would smell the money from a possible return of what's essentially the grandaddy of that entire genre.
This is a mystery. We're in the perfect climate for an Outbreak game and instead we have a competitive shooter. Ugh.

HardRojo

Why wouldn't you want this? I think it's perfect they're trying to change the formula with this one and it seems they're willing to hit all the right notes with it. Sounds amazing! Will never play it in VR though, I'm still young.

This feels like if kojima made mgs6, made it first person with a serious spy story like splinter cell and getting rid of all that Japanese humour.

weird example to use when Kojima made MGS V which was chasing the Western open world design handbook. No need to make up theoreticals.

You're kidding yourself if you don't see that this new direction is based off what is popular in horror these days. Games like Amnesia, Outlast and PT. Which yes are very popular with Youtubers and streamers.

The action direction was Capcom chasing what was popular at the time and they are doing the exact same thing here.
I'm not talking about that, you said pewdiepie game in order to put the game down, you got up on your stupid sarcastic elitist high horse the exact same way classic fans did during RE4's day. That's why I said you're no better.

Astral Dog

I'm just going to quote what I said in a different thread last night...

This interview doesn't really change that perception. He said there will be elements of Resident Evil like combat, and puzzle solving...but as cheesy as it is, I like the style of story telling in a typical Resident Evil game...I liked the action in RE4 and 5...it's just 6 that got out of hand, because they added some really shitty elements to it, and it had bad pacing, with not enough checkpoints. It needed to be worked on, but the RE formula didn't need to be scrapped completely. RE Revelations 2 showed me that those games are still fun as hell, and I will sing praises for that game as much as I have to. It had all the elements I loved about the series...this isn't what I wanted. It's not that I hate change, but...I don't like stripping away too much what people love about a series.
After Revelations 2, i kiiinda trust them,very glad Capcom is doing things to mix and shake Resident Evil a bit, im sure there are still going to make games in the old formula (REmake 2 was confirmed awhile back, Rev 3 only a matter of time)but seeing them being confident in bringing horror and more meaningful enemies back is exciting.

remember they did not come out with Revelations 2 after years of experimentation, REV and RE6 were unfocused, bloated or simply weaker games.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Exhibit A of regular RE encounters working as first-person

alien___working_joe_cyborg_by_chabbles-d82n2m8.gif

so I don't really see how people can be that concerned about the camera change because this is pretty much how it went in the early games.

People acting like First Person scares are somehow fucking cheaper than a dog jumping through a window.

I actually don't argue that this game can be very scary, and think the demo has made me very uneasy playing it, even when I kinda know what to expect. That's part of the problem for me though. I'm just older now, and I don't really like being scared the way I used to. I am fine with the type of scares that Resident Evil has been known for...tension based on not being sure you enough to survive an encounter, or having something jump out at you, and chase you. No matter what though, I felt like I could handle those circumstances via the combat in the game.

The series has ALWAYS been a combination of action and horror. This bull shit about going back to "horror roots" makes me think they aren't remembering what Resident Evil has always been. Even in the scariest games in the series, you always got something like a rocket launcher to mow down the enemies. Whatever combat they have in store for this game, I feel like I know it's going to be more like "you can fight them off, but can't kill them" based on what I know so far. I don't have proof I admit, but I just think that's what it's going to end up being.

It's clear that after the entire P.T./Silent Hills fiasco, Capcom saw a clear opportunity to capitalize. Now the game has been in the works since 2014 so theres no way the actual game will reflect on that as much as they might want, but the demo sure as shit does. When what is essentially the #2 horror game series in the business skyrockets in the public view and then explodes while still in the public view, you best believe the #1 horror game series noticed. Not like something like P.T. or the RE7 demo could work stretched out to 6+ hours for $60, that level of intricacy just isn't possible beyond a small scenario and it wouldn't make a good game either.

While at first I was in a bit of shock of this new direction, after playing the teaser experiences, I'm all on board. The fact that it's a sequel, it doesn't throw away all the canon, keeping things a mystery, and how they mention it will totally make sense how it al ties in... is just music to my fucking ears! I was a bit hesistant to keep my PS VR pre-order, but this experience with it will absolutely get me to keep it. I've been with you since inception Resident Evil and I'm not going anywhere.

Also if this proves very popular, I see the series doing this for a few entries with perhaps Revelations spin off taking the action side that the series main entries once houses? Also REmake 2 hopefully being more like the original style.

Real RE fans realise how good the first RE: Survivor was and want this to be like that but better anyway.

I really do think Survivor is pretty good.

KDC720

I've enjoyed pretty much every game in the series, but I still have really mixed feelings on 7 so far.

I like the returning focus on horror. As much as I like 6, I don't really want the mainline series to continue in that direction. On the other hand, I'm still not sold on the first person perspective as I have no interest in VR and would generally prefer mainline RE to be kept 3rd person.

The obvious influence from Amnesia, Outlast, and Alien: Isolation also brings some concerns for me. I like all three of those games, but both Outlast and Alien had the same problem of the main stalker enemy (the xeno and the big dude from Outlast) stopped being scary after awhile, and the games really ran out of steam towards the end. The quote where the director mentions a focus on fewer enemies would leave me to believe were going to be dealing with several stalker type enemies rather than your traditional RE monsters. Still not sure how I feel about that.

We still have REmake 2 in the pipeline, and Umbrella Corps although what little I've played of that isn't too great. But I'm willing to see what they can do with RE7 for now.

Sad that RE2make isn't here at the show, but hopefully TGS or PSX will show it in action.

There might be a teaser trailer by the end of the year, but it's still really early. The game started up from a pre-production standpoint only about a year ago.

But hey, I'll be pleased to have that expectation killed off.

The influence is there likely with the player's perspective, but there's a huge difference to what those games did and what this is doing. Combat is going to be very much a part of the game, just more focused on smaller encounters and no superhero moves.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I've become such a wuss in my older age. I couldn't last more than 20 minutes wandering the house in the teaser...(couldn't handle PT either)

I adore the series, but I am unsure if I can even play this thing.

Citadel

So the only way it's connected to prior RE games is the name itself, eh? I can dig the theme it's going for, as this new locale serves as a new residence of evil, just like Spencer mansion did to start off the series. Just a brand new residence (of evil), with a brand new story and characters.

Either way, I really loved the demo and can't wait to see more.

This addresses all of the concerns I had with the demo.

Lots of respect for Capcom for doing something so different and risky, when they could instead have easily put out an effortless RE6.5 instead and sold millions anyway.

I doubt they threw away the characters.

What I totally see happening is this game, as it's already doing seven months out from release, is making the long-time fans super uncomfortable. Hell, I'm feeling it too. I'm like, why am I here, who are these guys, how does this relate at all... but then I played the teaser, and my mind was changed a little. Right away I ran into a fuse box on the wall to the text "a fuse is missing." I don't give a shit who you are or what you think, that alone reminds me of originally playing Resident Evil for the first time. I'm in this seemingly abandoned place and there's mystery abound.

Fans are worried about the feeling of the unknown when it comes to the direction of the game, which is ironically one of the scariest, most effective things about horror. The fact that the game lends itself over to that on a conceptual level even before you pick up a controller already instills us with the fear that, you know, what if this isn't what I want, what if this isn't Resident Evil enough, etc. I was feeling weird about it at first, but when the teaser had this feeling of isolation, a missing fuse, item examinations, pressing triangle to open an inventory, and finding a photo lying on a dresser of a helicopter with the Umbrella logo faintly visible on it... I started to feel better about it.

The story and concept of the game are working in-tandem to instill fears and doubts in fans, and I think that's beautiful. Especially later in the game when you're surrounded by god knows what and Chris fucking Redfield shows up at the top of a cliff next to a giant boulder that, if he were to punch it, would roll directly into what's about to tear your ass open.

gelf

Not fully sold on the direction of this yet because of the first person perspective but it certainly sounds more relevant to my interests then anything in the series for a long time. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Astral Dog

Dude... you know deep down that the game is going to be full of references and Easter eggs. I don't know why Capcom did not reboot the whole thing. And yes I'm down with new characters.
there is no much point in throwing the canon as there are still things unresolved and its easier to go back and "please" the fans if something goes wrong.

yes i know they will be referenced or appearing one way or another, but for the first time arent the focus in a mainline for awhile, i love Chris and Leon and Wesker and Jill but they needed to rest a bit.Capcom can create intersting, charming new characters, right? specially the villains.

But a new Resident Evil game on a Mansion with completely new characters?

AAAAAHHHHH!!!

The obvious influence from Amnesia, Outlast, and Alien: Isolation also brings some concerns for me. I like all three of those games, but both Outlast and Alien had the same problem of the main stalker enemy (the xeno and the big dude from Outlast) stopped being scary after awhile, and the games really ran out of steam towards the end. The quote where the director mentions a focus on fewer enemies would leave me to believe were going to be dealing with several stalker type enemies rather than your traditional RE monsters. Still not sure how I feel about that.

I guarantee we'll see at least one stalker type pop up since many of the RE games had something similar (Tyrant, Nemesis, Trevor, Ustanak). However, that won't be the focus. There's going to be combat, and there are enemies in the trailer that can be seen that are rather run-of-the-mill that grab the player and look to be fightable.

BH was a terrible first impression in this aspect.

As for the character concerns (or otherwise), someone familiar is bound to pop up.

I doubt they threw away the characters.

What I totally see happening is this game, as it's already doing seven months out from release, is making the long-time fans super uncomfortable. Hell, I'm feeling it too. I'm like, why am I here, who are these guys, how does this relate at all... but then I played the teaser, and my mind was changed a little. Right away I ran into a fuse box on the wall to the text "a fuse is missing." I don't give a shit who you are or what you think, that alone reminds me of originally playing Resident Evil for the first time. I'm in this seemingly abandoned place and there's mystery abound.

Fans are worried about the feeling of the unknown when it comes to the direction of the game, which is ironically one of the scariest, most effective things about horror. The fact that the game lends itself over to that on a conceptual level even before you pick up a controller already instills us with the fear that, you know, what if this isn't what I want, what if this isn't Resident Evil enough, etc. I was feeling weird about it at first, but when the teaser had this feeling of isolation, a missing fuse, item examinations, pressing triangle to open an inventory, and finding a photo lying on a dresser of a helicopter with the Umbrella logo faintly visible on it... I started to feel better about it.

The story and concept of the game are working in-tandem to instill fears and doubts in fans, and I think that's beautiful. Especially later in the game when you're surrounded by god knows what and Chris fucking Redfield shows up at the top of a cliff next to a giant boulder that, if he were to punch it, would roll directly into what's about to tear your ass open.

That's how Chris should always make his entrances, punching a boulder no matter what the situation.

Imagine if in a way this makes players feel as if they are getting to work with some of their favorite characters from the franchise. That would be a very cool spin. Always been fun controlling them but actually working with them from a POV perspective... OH MY LANTA!

mdzapeer

This could end up being as revolution as Doom was or even the first RE, really got RE1 vibes in the demo too.

Good stuff seems the game industry is waking up and clawing it's way back to what makes gaming great.

Shauni

So the only way it's connected to prior RE games is the name itself, eh? I can dig the theme it's going for, as this new locale serves as a new residence of evil, just like Spencer mansion did to start off the series. Just a brand new residence (of evil), with a brand new story and characters.

Either way, I really loved the demo and can't wait to see more.

It's in the same universe, same canon. Literally number 1 on the list, guys. Literally number 1 on the list

Im not even mad really Capcom just gave me a Resident Evil last year that honestly was worthy of the 7 title.
Heck it felt more like a main Resident Evil in most story elements than 6.

Exhibit A of regular RE encounters working as first-person

alien___working_joe_cyborg_by_chabbles-d82n2m8.gif

so I don't really see how people can be that concerned about the camera change because this is pretty much how it went in the early games.

This game was so annoying to me in it's combat and 'stealth" if you call having to be ubber specific in the most strict paths stealth. Very forced, and a terrible example, not sure what you are saying. Ammo, situations, and even what guns or sittionas you will be put in is all super forced down to specific guns or when you dont have a weapon.

ElfArmy177

Calling it now... this game is gonna tank hard. It's gonna be praised by critics and gamers... and noone is gonna buy it outside it horror fans and hardcore fans of the series.. and it makes me sad to think about

RE7 is at most a soft reboot. It plays differently from 1-3 and 4-6, but you can see the Umbrella logo on the helicopter in the photo and a scarce mention of "The Family" which is the Illuminati-like institution from RE6.

Calling it now... this game is gonna tank hard. It's gonna be praised by critics and gamers... and noone is gonna buy it outside it horror fans and hardcore fans of the series.. and it makes me sad to think about

No clue why you would think that. RE is still a big name, RE6 was a pretty bad game and it sold gangbusters. The movies still come out. It's still in the public eye. Mediocre games like RE0 re-released with minimal effort sell. Fantastic games like REmake re-released sell very, very well.

Im not even mad really Capcom just gave me a Resident Evil last year that honestly was worthy of the 7 title.
Heck it felt more like a main Resident Evil in most story elements than 6.

It really was great. They managed to bring back Barry without it feeling forced, but also did his character justice I think. It was awesome. I was also REALLY skeptical about Moira when we first saw he design, but she ended up being a pretty well written character. I loved that game.

Imagine if in a way this makes players feel as if they are getting to work with some of their favorite characters from the franchise. That would be a very cool spin. Always been fun controlling them but actually working with them from a POV perspective... OH MY LANTA!

I kind of think it's going to be like Metal Gear Solid 2. Raiden? wtf? Big Shell? wtf? Colonel? wtf? OH SHITTTTTTT

Citadel

It's in the same universe, same canon. Literally number 1 on the list, guys. Literally number 1 on the list

Yes. Sorry, I meant more of a personal level - they mentioned that no characters or locations (?) from prior games would be used/seen. So while it could be considered "next in line" in the series, it could also be an entirely new cast of characters and location, right?

Yes. Sorry, I meant more of a personal level - they mentioned that no characters or locations (?) from prior games would be used/seen. So while it could be considered "next in line" in the series, it could also be an entirely new cast of characters and location, right?

Did they say that?

Top Bottom