• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Knack 2 acknowledges where the first game fell short, fixing a lot of problems

Glad this one is getting the sequel treatment, a lot of potential.

Hopefully the environments are a lot more varied, I think gameplay will be top notch.

Cheers to everyone who provided links to previews. Done reading through them all. All of the changes sound good and I genuinely look forward to this game now.

black070

I actually made a thread about how much I enjoyed the first title, so I'm seriously hyped for this one - people take games way too seriously sometimes, Knack is a blast.

I find it funny that so many people are asking the people who are shitting on it for receipts. Like, maybe you just enjoy a bad game?

It's a bad video game. Yes, it's quirky, yes it's colourful but it's also a brawler that has a single combo and level design so linear it puts FF XIII to shame. It's not a little B-Game, it was one of the most advertised launch games develoepd by Sony In-House.

It's not a misunderstand kid's game, it's a bad one. Not "Gaf" proceeds to shit on it, everyone does. Its Metacritic of 54 is entirely deserved. If the second game will be better: Great! But a bad game doesn't turn less bad because it's colorful and it's a platform exclusive launch game.

Trailer looked like it would be a re-release of an upgraded version of the main game because many of the levels and scenarios looked like they were copied exactly from the first game. Not a great sign.

Isnt that the whole point of these games, each LEGO and Skylanders game is barely upgraded. Dumb platforming fighting games are designed to be dumb and 7/10. Most critical ones is where they add special bosses/flashiness (LEGO Marvel Super heroes got 9/10 on IGN, despite the fact 90% of the game is generic LEGO)

Either is a dumb kids game or they make it complex like DMC (lol)

NYmanutd

My 4 years old is playing the game as i'm typing right now, we have tons of fun playing it together so yea i'm genuinely excited about Knack2, day 1 buy for sure. Did ign get to play the vehicle part? What was that all about?

NYmanutd

I actually made a thread about how much I enjoyed the first title, so I'm seriously hyped for this one - people take games way too seriously sometimes, Knack is a blast.
Yes, Knack is a blast. I love the game, my son and my gf too. So yea we are getting knack2 day 1.

SilentRob

Isnt that the whole point of these games, each LEGO and Skylanders game is barely upgraded. Dumb platforming fighting games are designed to be dumb and 7/10. Most critical ones is where they add special bosses/flashiness (LEGO Marvel Super heroes got 9/10 on IGN, despite the fact 90% of the game is generic LEGO)

Either is a dumb kids game or they make it complex like DMC (lol)

No. Knack is not a "dump platforming game 7/10". It's a bad brawler few a few bad platforming segments in between. The Lego games are good, simple games. Knack is a bad, simple game.

I find it funny that so many people are asking the people who are shitting on it for receipts. Like, maybe you just enjoy a bad game?

Or maybe games that are bad are not bad, but are games that just people dont like and say is bad, because bad is somewhat arbitrary of a word to just throw at all games?I don't know I just know I like Knack and want Knack 2.

Lady Gaia

No. Knack is not a "dump platforming game 7/10". It's a bad brawler few a few bad platforming segments in between. The Lego games are good, simple games. Knack is a bad, simple game.

That's not an objective truth, but rather something that will vary from person to person. After all the hype I tried a Lego game and couldn't be bothered to stick with it. I played Knack to completion and enjoyed it despite the obvious flaws.

NYmanutd

That's not an objective truth, but rather something that will vary from person to person. After all the hype I tried a Lego game and couldn't be bothered to stick with it. I played Knack to completion and enjoyed it despite the obvious flaws.
You have no idea how many lego games we have tried at home and not even my son likes them.

Loudninja

Polygon:Knack 2’s biggest surprise: It’s a lot of fun
The original Knack was a quintessential platform launch game: technically impressive at the time, but widely considered to be a fairly mediocre action-platformer. Knack 2, based on hands-on time with two of the game’s chapters, appears to address its predecessor’s shortcomings, offering greater depth in its mix of puzzles, platforming and beat ‘em up action.
On the platforming side, Knack also has more moves at his disposal in the sequel. In addition to his double jump, he can hover by spinning through the air. This not only makes the platforming a bit easier, it offers opportunities to reach new, previously inaccessible areas. Knack can also shed (and reclaim) the accumulated relics that make him grow in size at any time. Some secret paths and treasure rooms can only be accessed by pint-sized Knack — think narrow ledges or tiny doors obscured by traps — and Sony Japan Studio appears to have worked some cleverly hidden secrets into the game.
The original Knack was often criticized for its difficulty, with the game’s normal setting being overly challenging and its easy difficulty mind-numbingly simplistic. Knack 2 will offer four difficulty settings that feel more appropriately named. I played one combat-focused level on normal and found it pretty breezy, though not without taking the occasional beating from a group of foes. Bumping that level up to hard made things, well, harder, but not frustratingly so. (Thankfully, I had Knack co-creator and PlayStation 4 lead system architect Mark Cerny as my occasional co-op partner, and we somehow made it through.)
Finally, the original Knack also received some flak for its storytelling — Knack’s dialogue in particular. For Knack 2, Sony Japan Studio has brought Marianne Krawczyk, the BAFTA award-winning writer of the God of War series, onboard to write the script.
http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/5/13846112/knack-2-impressions-ps4-playstation-experience#0

Don't really care what the haters say, I found the original to be a fun, if flawed, experience. I don't think it was particularly original or even GREAT, but I'll check out the sequel. Why not? Let's not condemn it already. I've no doubt that the criticisms aimed towards the first game have been taken into consideration and (hopefully) addressed.

Let's try to be optimistic for a game. After all, surely we want as many games to be as good as possible. Ok, maybe my wallet will hurt in the morning - but I for one WANT Knack 2 to be good. Ratchet and Clank satisfied a platforming itch I've had for years now. Hopefully Knack 2 will draw inspiration from this and aim to repeat its success.

carlsojo

It's really odd that a tech demo where the team was told to aim for a 70 metacritic at best, (and didn't even reach that), is getting a sequel. Who even remembers Knack besides the ironic propping up of it's quality on GAF?

I liked it. It wasn't great but it was fun and I played through it a couple times.

Lol, I didn't even have a huge problem with the story in Knack 1. It was dorky and campy which added to the b-game charm. I was especially confused by people who complained about large-Knack's voice, which I thought suited him really well. So I hope they don't go changing that too.

Still, goes to show how seriously they're taking the criticisms of the first game. But shame on Sony for giving a franchise a second try right?
It's a bad video game. Yes, it's quirky, yes it's colourful but it's also a brawler that has a single combo and level design so linear it puts FF XIII to shame. It's not a little B-Game, it was one of the most advertised launch games develoepd by Sony In-House.

It's not a misunderstand kid's game, it's a bad one. Not "Gaf" proceeds to shit on it, everyone does. Its Metacritic of 54 is entirely deserved. If the second game will be better: Great! But a bad game doesn't turn less bad because it's colorful and it's a platform exclusive launch game.

Trailer looked like it would be a re-release of an upgraded version of the main game because many of the levels and scenarios looked like they were copied exactly from the first game. Not a great sign.

Everyone shits on it huh? Speak for your damn self. Tons of people on Gaf legitimately enjoyed it, myself included. This bullshit about people enjoying it because it was a launch game is laughable. I bought both Killzone and Knack on launch. By the logic around here, I should also be praising the platform-exclusive launch game, Shadowfall. Guess what, it put me to sleep and I didn't even bother finishing it- and there are posts from me and other here to prove it circa 2013. Knack however was actually fun and challenging to me.

It's not a perfect game, it's not even a great one. But it's the very definition of a 6-7/10 with a lot of flashes of fun and a lot of potential. Hey but around here any game scoring less than a 95 metacritic must be certified garbage right? Believe it or not, people can actually have a great time with an average game. Cut the shit.

Top Bottom