• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: "Maisie Williams 'Looking Like Yes' For The Last Of Us Movie"

UrbanRats

it's not like it matters one bit whether or not the actor looks like the character from the fucking game.

For real.
In these casting threads (whether they're from videogames, comicbooks, whatever) 90% of the suggestions are based on looks alone and most of the time just because that particular actor happened to have a role with a similar outfit/haircut.

All shit that doesn't matter, because you can change outfit and haircut to any actor around.
And there's more to portraing a character than looking exactly like them.

... unless you were sarcastic.

HeelPower

I honestly hope the director is someone who can handle the emotional depth and weight of the characters.

Someone who can do action well but is also capable on the artsy side.

David Fincher would be a good choice for this,I think.But that's kinda impossible I bet.(to get him on board this project I mean)

wowlace

Would prefer - Mackenzie Foy

MV5BMTk3NTczODg1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDY0NTUxMw@@._V1_SX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

i don't think people truly understand how difficult it is to find someone her age who can act competently, let alone well.

and the obsession some people have with adapted characters looking exactly like their comic/book/game counterpart is just silly. just get the best actor for the role that honors the spirit of the character. everything else is secondary. you'd think 25 years after michael keaton killed it as batman people would understand this

i don't think people truly understand how difficult it is to find someone her age who can act competently, let alone well.

and the obsession some people have with adapted characters looking exactly like their comic/book/game counterpart is just silly. just get the best actor for the role that honors the spirit of the character. everything else is secondary. you'd think 25 years after michael keaton killed it as batman people would understand this

This annoys me so much.

Andvary

I don't think she is a very good actress, she is popular because her character in GoT is one of the best of the books/tv show. (my second favorite, just after Tyrion.)

televator

I'm conflicted about it. On one had she's a great young actress. On the other, she's getting older quick and looking like it and she doesn't look even remotely like Ellie.

munchie64

Potentially good choice. I'm more concerned about a director right now, as should all the people complaining about looks.

batbeg

This thread is cracking me up, not just because people clearly have no concept of actors acting, but because apparently she doesn't look like Ellie. Like... Who gives a fuck if movie Ellie looks different from game Ellie? Was the teenaged girls only redeeming factor her physical appearance? Lol.

Superflat

I honestly hope the director is someone who can handle the emotional depth and weight of the characters.

Someone who can do action well but is also capable on the artsy side.

David Fincher would be a good choice for this,I think.But that's kinda impossible I bet.(to get him on board this project I mean)

The director and script are far, far more important to me than some recognizable people they can cast. Sadly, I have little faith in Sony execs to actually give it good treatment as a film. It'll be a minor miracle if there's a Sony executive up there who will actually give a shit and give it the proper treatment it deserves, and not be a cheap, cynical cash-in. Fincher would be a dream director with this material.

I said it earlier, but Maisie can probably play this character really well. I don't know why people think she'll play the exact same character as the one she plays in GoT.

Not sure what the issue is with Maisie Williams with so many people aside from folks wanting to type cast or have someone who looks the same as Ellie. She does well with her material in GoT, so I'd expect she can be a good or even great Ellie with the proper writing and direction.

Then again, not sure who would be a good alt if somehow she couldn't be involved as I haven't seen many films lately.

As for Raimi, I'm not too confident with him as a director. Danny Boyle sticks out to me, though that might be too similar of genre work with 28 Days Later. Spielberg I always wanted to see tackle post-civilization stuff, but something like this might be beneath him. I do not want to see Alfonso Cuaron or John Hillcoat as their projects Children of Men and The Road were far too similar.

Joel should be pretty competitive casting with a lot of good choices out there. Will be fine with whoever lands it most likely.

This thread is cracking me up, not just because people clearly have no concept of actors acting, but because apparently she doesn't look like Ellie. Like... Who gives a fuck if movie Ellie looks different from game Ellie? Was the teenaged girls only redeeming factor her physical appearance? Lol.

But we don't have any pics of Massie Williams riding a horse next to a guy in a flannel shirt so how can we be sure she can pull this off?!?

DR2K

Banned
Ellen Page would have been too perfect for the role and have made the other lead look silly.

Page is pissed at them. She wouldn't touch this anyway, at this point. I'm surprised she's still willing to appear in X-men films, but then I'm sure that pay is pretty fantastic.

I hardly think Page is pissed, considering it was only the initial trailer that looked like her, and one second of research shows that Ellie is pretty much modeled after Ashley Johnson to a reasonable degree. She said something about it on twitter or something, but I'm pretty sure Naughty Dog pointed out Ashley Johnson to her or something.
something something something

Either way, Page is far too old at this point for this, even if she would say yes.

Also, it's a good thing nobody in this thread works for production companies.

"Hey this girl looks like the source material! Screw her acting credentials! (HINT: That girl from Interstellar that everyone is mentioning isn't a good enough child actor to hold the supporting role.)

AlexBasch

Why people keep bringing Page?

Aside from Juno and Hard Candy I can barely recall other roles she was in, I agree with Marrec back in page one.

Also, she's 27 FFS.

Renekton

No way. Raimi is a mediocre director. His only great movie is Spider-Man 2 and I'm convinced it was a stroke of luck. And despite what everyone would have you believe, The Evil Dead is not a masterpiece; it's "okay" at best.
Well that's just your opinion, man.

No way. Raimi is a mediocre director. His only great movie is Spider-Man 2 and I'm convinced it was a stroke of luck. And despite what everyone would have you believe, The Evil Dead is not a masterpiece; it's "okay" at best.

You're right, Evil Dead was a hack job that turned out to be great because it failed so hard to be good.

Army of Darkness is the masterpiece.

I hardly think Page is pissed, considering it was only the initial trailer that looked like her, and one second of research shows that Ellie is pretty much modeled after Ashley Johnson to a reasonable degree. She said something about it on twitter or something, but I'm pretty sure Naughty Dog pointed out Ashley Johnson to her or something.
something something something

People are taking the extreme implication of her Reddit AMA statement of her likeness being "ripped-off" being "not appreciated" due to her being actively involved in Beyond Two Souls.

"I guess I should be flattered that they ripped off my likeness, but I am actually acting in a video game called Beyond Two Souls, so it was not appreciated."

I don't think there's enough to go on there to say she is pissed off/angry as a fact.

People are taking the extreme implication of her Reddit AMA statement of her likeness being "ripped-off" being "not appreciated" due to her being actively involved in Beyond Two Souls.

I don't think there's enough to go on there to say she is pissed off/angry as a fact.

Yea I remember that, then Naughty Dog messaged her on twitter about the mis-understanding and she was like "lol k all cool brah".

Or her agent was like "yo bro, both companies are tied with Sony, cool it"

Cerberus

my pick would have been Kaitlyn Dever (Loretta on Justified)

Kaitlyn Dever would be my first pick. She did amazing work on Justified. I need to watch Short Term 12.

I didn't have anyone else in mind until I watched Interstellar. I think Mackenzie Foy would be great as Ellie, and she's currently Ellie's age too.

Top Bottom