• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: "Maisie Williams 'Looking Like Yes' For The Last Of Us Movie"

I'm not sure of this. I think he has kind of retreated up his own ass as a result of the endless stream of praise and commendation and "genius" talk.

My basis for believing this is that he's now making a movie based on his video game.

That's not to say it can't or won't be good, but I don't think he's infallible, and if anything he does is going to be disappointing, it'll be this.

So? I don't how that makes you think he's full of himself. I remember Gamespot doing an interview with Bruce and Neil and Gamespot noted that one thing that they noticed is how much respect that they seem to have for their characters and both of them replied quickly "We love them". I think that's why he's writing. Not because of arrogance, which he's never came across as being in any way.

Jobbs

Banned
So? I don't how that makes you think he's full of himself. I remember Gamespot doing an interview with Bruce and Neil and Gamespot noted that one thing that they noticed is how much respect that they seem to have for their characters and both of them replied quickly "We love them". I think that's why he's writing. Not because of arrogance, which he's never came across as being in any way.

I'm worried about any video game movie, ever, period, and I think it takes a certain degree of nerve to decide to turn your video game into a movie.

Let's be clear, I love The Last of Us, it was the most effective and impacting video game experience of my life -- I was gripped by it -- which is all the more reason I'm skeptical of this endeavor and kind of wish they'd just leave it alone.

Jackman tends to embrace roles that have a lot of fandom like Wolverine, so he would be a good mouthpiece for the film and the role.

I'm worried about any video game movie, ever, period, and I think it takes a certain degree of nerve to decide to turn your video game into a movie.

Let's be clear, I love The Last of Us, it was the most effective and impacting video game experience of my life -- I was gripped by it -- which is all the more reason I'm skeptical of this endeavor and kind of wish they'd just leave it alone.

Even if the movie does turn out to be bad, it won't take away from the game. It'll still be the same when you boot it up.

Pretty much every other movie game has one thing in common, and it's that the actual developer behind it has next to no involvement in its making. It's just made and tossed out and that's about it. TLoU is the first one I can think of where the studio behind the game not only wanted to be close to the making of it, but actually required it to even allow the movie to be made. So if ND are that confident in it, then I don't see a problem with it happening.

marrec

Banned
The NERVE of that Neil Druckmann to turn his video game into a movie.

Who does he think he is right?! Fucking jackass.

disap.ed

Joel: Josh Brolin or Hugh Jackman.
Ellie: Mackenzie Foy from Interstellar.

QFT. Do it like this (didn't know that Mackenzie Foy is already 14, looks much younger IMO).

And looks good with a beard.

spl464976_009-wm900.jpg

And, for my money, is a better actor than Jackman or Brolin.

Would also be okay with that.

inki

I think she would be GREAT for this role. To everyone who says she is nothing like Ellie are you talking about appearance or are you comparing her GoT role to the role of Ellie?

She's got the chops to go against and steal the scene from other strong actors and actresses. She will do fine in the role of Ellie.

sappyday

These roles I would say aren't hard to cast or portray. The biggest issue is just finding something to please the fans which is a non issue really.

Sorral

So many bad posts in this thread....

That's good they picked her. Jake Gyllenhaal or Jack Hughman would be great for Joel's role.

So many bad posts in this thread....

That's good they picked her. Jake Gyllenhaal or Jack Hughman would be great for Joel's role.

Either of them would be great. I wonder if Gyllenhaal would pull of Tommy. Although I was thinking of Ben Foster as Tommy, I think that would be a good fit.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Could be a lot worse. Don't know if she can do an American accent, but she's capable.

I still like Anson Mount for Joel. Dudes got the look and demeanor to do it great justice and he's not so well known as to overshadow the role like some other actors people keep calling for.

Neiteio

Here's a link to the comic-con panel with Neil Druckmann and Sam Rami, very interesting and it'll answer a lot of questions you may have. http://youtu.be/xtgZhL8nays?t=7s

Neil talks about how they were approached and that they initially didn't want to do it but that they got a great offer by Sam Raimi (great director and producer) and that he/they have creative control and freedom with the film. So they went ahead with it because it was such a great opportunity. They also pretty much say they are very aware that a straight film-adaption of TLOU will be watered down because of the gameplay, length and immersion that is lost. But that they'll adapt the story differently because it's another medium and have even more focus on Joel and Ellie etc. All in all, so it can reach another audience that can't or would never pick up a controller and play the game.
Thank you for this. It inspires a bit more confidence, but I'm still a bit concerned about whether a movie could possibly live up to the game.

She has done a fantastic job on Game of Thrones and would be great in this role. For the male lead I think you could put a lot of actors in that spot: Jackman, Brolin, Gyllenhaal are all good choices IMO.

Frog-fu

Banned
I don't quite care how charismatic she is, her acting is lacking and I think there are significantly better options out there.

Bricky

I like her, but I'm not sure about this. I have seen all of Game of Thrones and she handles Arya well, but... this feels off. Arya was an innocent tomboy that had to live through (spoiler)
her whole family being murdered
while Ellie was born in a world that had already gone to shit and grew up surviving in it. They're very different characters and I'm afraid she'll just play Arya again unless she really surprises as an actress.

But hey, there are way worse choices. At least we can be sure the child actress isn't bad, but it isn't perfect casting either.

Jobbs

Banned
I don't think Maisie is a good choice, I vote for Izabela Vidovic, her character in "Homefront" is a little like Ellie.

http://whatculture.com/film/last-us-movie-10-actresses-play-ellie.php/10

263088_photo.jpeg

I agree. She had a role in The 100 for a few episdoes, and was very effective -- while the show isn't exactly brilliant, (although I do enjoy it!) she stole every scene she was in.
she also stabbed an innocent man in the throat to make her own demons go away.
Was pretty bad ass.

B33

Banned
I'm not sure of this. I think he has kind of retreated up his own ass as a result of the endless stream of praise and commendation and "genius" talk.

My basis for believing this is that he's now making a movie based on his video game.

That's not to say it can't or won't be good, but I don't think he's infallible, and if anything he does is going to be disappointing, it'll be this.

How do you KNOW Neil Druckmann? Have you met him? Have you following his Twitter feed? Have you spent an extensive amount of time observing him with methods we're not privy to?

He's writing the first pass for an adaptation of a game he wrote. Sony's executives and Sam Raimi chose Druckmann for the task. How is this in any way indicative of his personality? If you've someone who can WRITE and has a good track record (critically and financially) on top of being an authority on the said source material, wouldn't you want them to at least offer input on an adaptation?

One of the biggest mistakes any adaptation can make is having people involved who HAVE NO IDEA what the source material is NOR what made it GREAT to begin with. Money can't be the ONLY impetus. There needs to be a connection and deeper drive to motivate everyone involved. If anyone's going to be more critical, it'll be Druckmann.

I don't doubt that credited rewrites or perhaps uncredited rewrites will happen to fine tune the script. I'm sure a director (once one is attached) will have input to put their own spin on it. I don't think Druckmann's infallible, but I think it's absurd for you to have gleaned those observations just from him being the first writer they tapped for the project.

How about we wait and see how this projects shapes up before we jump to conclusions?

Frog-fu

Banned
If Hugh Jackman is not Joel, I doubt I'll be interested.
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Pi4pJ0F.jpg[/IMG]

The game borrows heavily from The Road and Children of Men, so I hope they've got a competent director that can compare. I'd like for the movie adaptation to stand out.

If Hugh Jackman is not Joel, I doubt I'll be interested.
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Pi4pJ0F.jpg[/IMG]

The game borrows heavily from The Road and Children of Men, so I hope they've got a competent director that can compare. I'd like for the movie adaptation to stand out.

Sam Raimi is directing.

lmpaler

I kinda want this to happen too, people are saying she can't pass as 14 anymore, but I think if she really wanted to she could. Give me Hugh Jackman too and I'm down with this movie.

HOLD ON BRO!

That is actually a good idea on pairing there. While Ellen can't pass as 14 anymore, she still can looks young and having her next to Jackman all scuffed out and looking haggard would actually work well.

Looks should be a distant second to acting ability in any adaptation. And she is the right age unlike Ellen Page

Chloe Moretz would be a good choice too

Both have the personality of Ellie to make it happen

Don't really feel too strongly either way on this one. Really depends (for me) on how well she can do an American accent, but British people seem to have no problem going from Brit to Yank so it'll probably be fine.

Sean*O

This movie could actually be good if Rami stepped up to direct. I don't think any of these new 'rising star' directors can do justice to the content. The time is now Mr. Rami.

This movie could actually be good if Rami stepped up to direct. I don't think any of these new 'rising star' directors can do justice to the content. The time is now Mr. Rami.

No way. Raimi is a mediocre director. His only great movie is Spider-Man 2 and I'm convinced it was a stroke of luck. And despite what everyone would have you believe, The Evil Dead is not a masterpiece; it's "okay" at best.

no videogame movie ever is

but then again I also don't think the game is some super impossibly high watermark of storytelling so it wouldn't be hard to beat with even a modicum of talent behind the project :p
Hating on every imaginable level. Must be a blast to hang with.

Top Bottom