• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: No plans for Mass Effect Andromeda on Nintendo Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

nynt9

ME:A is bad and as a switch owner, this isn't a loss. I played it on origin access and it was a waste of time.

xealo

Didn't expect anything else really.

Nintendo doesn't need Mass Effect.
Nintendo do need major western multiplatform releases more than you might suspect.

The fact there's 3 platforms getting them when Nintendo don't puts them at a pretty distinct disadvantage.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
And I'm trying to figure out what Capcom half-assed phoned in over price port have to do with EA and EA's Switch support. We have EA basing their decision on Mass Effect Andromeda on Wii U's Mass Effect 3 performance when it luach around the same time at the same price as the Mass Effect Trilogy on the PS3 and Xbox 360. There were several poster in this very thread jumping up and down at the prospect of the Switch is going to fail due to the lack of Western Third parties.

And I'm trying to figure out what EA's half-assed job on Mass Effect: Andromeda has to do with it being on the Switch or not. They're unrelated things. Good game, bad game, good sales, bad sales, the fact remains it's not on the system because it's too weak to run it, and that's going to continue to be a millstone around the system's neck going forward as third parties decide whether or not to support it. So, uh, good jump bumping the thread that continues to be emblematic of Nintendo's lack of forward thinking in terms of third party support. Yay?

Man, people are desperate for Nintendo to fail.

I just need one thing from EA: Dead Space Trilogy HD for Switch.

Good luck with that, since EA seems dedicated to ignoring their back catalog at all costs, regardless of platform.

The Switch is sold out everywhere and Mass Effect Andromeda is on sale for $30 USD on PC two months after its release.

wy0vMoC.jpg

the salt is coming from within your house

PSqueak

Banned
I mean, even if they had plans for it at some point, the massive bad word going about the game would have made them cancel it anyways.

xealo

Man, people are desperate for Nintendo to fail.

I just need one thing from EA: Dead Space Trilogy HD for Switch.
I'm not desperate for Nintendo to fail. I'm just capable of seeing that a lack of western major third party support going forward would be bad for Nintendo.

Malakai

And I'm trying to figure out what EA's half-assed job on Mass Effect: Andromeda has to do with it being on the Switch or not. They're unrelated things. Good game, bad game, good sales, bad sales, the fact remains it's not on the system because it's too weak to run it, and that's going to continue to be a millstone around the system's neck going forward as third parties decide whether or not to support it. So, uh, good jump bumping the thread that continues to be emblematic of Nintendo's lack of forward thinking in terms of third party support. Yay?

Good luck with that, since EA seems dedicated to ignoring their back catalog at all costs, regardless of platform.

You got a receipt that the Switch is too weak to run Mass Effect?

It does not affect me. I bought Switch for Nintendo first parties. I am happy playing all 3rd parties on PS4. If they remaster ME 1-3 for Switch I might consider.

Malakai

Not to say that it can't run it because it's weak but can you also provide evidence that Switch supports frostbite?

I'm genuinely curious.

FIFA runs on Frostbite; but it is still up in the air if the version of FIFA that the Switch will receive will be based on Frostbite or not. From my limited understanding from reading posts from Tech-gaf, it still would be a good exercise for EA to port over Frostbite to ARM arch.

DMONKUMA

FIFA runs on Frostbite; but it is still up in the air if the version of FIFA that the Switch will receive will be based on Frostbite or not. From my limited understanding from reading posts from Tech-gaf, it still would be a good exercise for EA to port over Frostbite to ARM arch.

I just don't generally believe we will get ports from major western publishers.

oSoLucky

I know different financial situations and all, but Nintendo's 3rd party support has been shaky for the past 2 decades so it's prudent to own another platform if you like a lot of the big 3rd parties. There's no reason at all to be upset about missing games because expectations should be low anyway. By all means keep voicing displeasure because things can be changed with enough noise. Petty shit like this thread bump is awful though.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I guess they are waiting till the 3rd game in the Andromeda series comes out so they can port it to the Switch and release a trilogy on the X1/PS4

FIFA for ps4 and xbox one and PC runs on Frostbite starting this year.

FIFA for 360/ps3 runs on the old Ignite engine and hasn't had a real gameplay update in over 4 years. FIFA 2017 is being released for ps3/360 still this year.

Its really unknown whether the switch port will be based on the Ignite engine or the Frostbite engine, EA has only said it will be a custom port but that doesn't really say anything since by the very definition of a new platform it is a custom port.

royox

It looks as if Andromeda needed the Switch then the Switch needed Andromeda....

Yeah, Andromeda needs the 10 sales its downgraded port would have had on the Switch...let's not count the resources used on building that specific port for that underpowered hardware plus the Frostbite suport plus splitting the Bioware group even more to work on that specific port.

Is it really that surprising to people that a lot of 3rd parties(especially Western) probably won't even bother with the Switch?

Malakai

FIFA for ps4 and xbox one and PC runs on Frostbite starting this year.

FIFA for 360/ps3 runs on the old Ignite engine and hasn't had a real gameplay update in over 4 years. FIFA 2017 is being released for ps3/360 still this year.

Its really unknown whether the switch port will be based on the Ignite engine or the Frostbite engine, EA has only said it will be a custom port but that doesn't really say anything since by the very definition of a new platform it is a custom port.

Eurogamer reported that FIFA 17 on the Xbox One and the PS4 was running on Frostbite here. Also, the official easports site reports that FIFA 17 is running on Frostbite as well. However, quickly looking at the Japanese Switch ad that had FIFA 18 footage it looks like the Ignite engine.

Is it really that surprising to people that a lot of 3rd parties(especially Western) probably won't even bother with the Switch?

at launch ? no
given its current sales it would be a surprise if third parties would ignore it next year though (if sales continue like this)

Nintendo doesn't need Mass Effect.

Ahh, the self-fulfilling 3rd party prophecy on Nintendo hardware. "Nintendo doesn't need quality 3rd Party Title" and then when Nintendo systems stop getting quality 3rd party titles, as they have for almost 20 years now, "Nintendo doesn't do enough to entice 3rd parties!!"

Ahh, the self-fulfilling 3rd party prophecy on Nintendo hardware. "Nintendo doesn't need quality 3rd Party Title" and then when Nintendo systems stop getting quality 3rd party titles, as they have for almost 20 years now, "Nintendo doesn't do enough to entice 3rd parties!!"

Calling Mess Effect quality is a stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom