• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Peer Schneider: "the NX is a complete reboot for Nintendo"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wii was glory days? I mean I know the hardware sold like hot cakes, but having owned one I just remember it being a dumping ground for shovel ware with good games being few and far between.

I did love Mario Galaxy 1+2 though.

Hermii

But if its a hybrid, it will be judged for being a handheld and a console. Two Wii Us duck taped together is crap for the home console aspect, and it likely won't get the third party dev support that Nintendo desperately needs. Don't tell me that Nintendo isn't competing or that Nintendo would never get the third party support. You would be part of the problem if you already have up, and need to support 3rs party games in order to be successful.

If the NX is really a hybrid, and it doesn't get specs to match the Xbox one at least(especially if its two Wii us) it will flop hard. Again, remember that Nintendo needs to still advertise the handheld and console sides. If its going to be too low spec, might as well just advertise it as a handheld only, and give up on consoles instead of being half assed with a jack of all trades mediocore specs console.

Its not a hybrid in my mind, its a handheld with a docking station. There has been no indication that the dock will even boost the clock speed.

And that even for less than $200!

LMAO.. 3DS XL is $199 and Wii U is $299. At best, I can see them drop in price by $50 this holiday. You really think the successor to the both consoles will be cheaper than the Wii U when NX launches in March? Remember that the president of Nintendo said he doesn't want to lose money per console sold as well. Whether he keeps his word or not, its still very unlikely that a console hybrid will cost that low right out the gate when their successors are at their current prices.

Its not a hybrid in my mind, its a handheld with a docking station. There has been no indication that the dock will even boost the clock speed.
I think TV connectivity out the box would very much make it a hybrid assuming they take advantage of it.
What other handheld could connect to the TV while having split screen multiplayer games? You couldn't play Just Dance on a portable, but on NX you can

deleted

Like I said, there is simply no way that Nintendo releases the nx with a way to connect to a TV but without local multiplayer.
And if it does that, it's far more than a handheld regardless of clock speed.

Well, that gets back to my comparison to Sony realizing that the PS4 was healthy and the PSV wasn't, so they axed the PSV and threw full support behind PS4.

Nintendo is doing the opposite. The 3DS is the most successful dedicated video system on the market at 60 million units to the PS4's ~42 million, and while the PS4 will eventually overtake it, it's unclear whether the XBox1 even by the end of its lifespan will touch the 3DS. The Wii U, by comparison, has been a disaster.

Why bank on a successor to the Wii U when you can bank on a successor to the 3DS, a system that is still selling large amounts of software despite being absolutely archaic? The NX is going to be the largest jump over the 3DS in system generational jump history...its GPU is going to be something like 100x stronger than the 3DS' and, given the 3DS' ridiculously weak CPU, that measure is probably even more ridiculous. Nintendo's portable is going to go from a 240p system that struggles to match the PS2 (with, admittedly, far more RAM than the PS2), to a 720p system that more than doubles the PS3 (with far more RAM than the PS3).

This strategy makes a ton of sense and is probably the only successful route Nintendo could take. The DS was indisputably its most successful system of all time (as much as people ignore it when they talk about the "Wii Era," the DS was even more important). Just as the DS pioneered a lot of stuff that cell phones later took advantage of, Nintendo could take advantage of the current widespread proliferation of tablets to market a larger, non-pocket-based handheld and stuff some actual computing power into it. I don't see why a Nintendo tablet with compelling software couldn't reach wide market proliferation, presumably with software like Cooking Mama and Nintendogs revived to help push it as a "more than a gaming tablet" into more conventional households.

Several of Nintendo's best titles ever are things like Brain Age and Nintendogs which don't even really qualify as video games. Brain Age is one of my favorite titles anyone has ever put out and, as much as people on NeoGAF sneer at it, I think it and Nintendogs have serious potential as fronts in Nintendo's push back towards the mainstream. Enough time has passed that people can be persuaded by a nostalgia push towards them.

Fantastic post, Are you sure your uncle doesn't work for Nintendo?! lol

Yukinari

Can we get a complete reboot for Miyamoto while we're at it?

Maybe reset him to factory default settings and have him develop a smaller title on his own.

I'm already picturing the advertisement.

Guy's sitting at home, playing Mario Kart NX on his TV

He gets a phone call, grabs the NX off the dock, picks up a backpack, and catches a bus.

He keeps playing his game on the bus.

Then he gets to his friend's house, plugs the NX into the TV and starts handing out controllers from his backpack, and gets a multiplayer round going.

Realistic version:

Guys sitting at home titting on their phones. The end.

iMerc

i hope it becomes a great success, simply on the basis that nintendo's development efforts will no longer be divided between two different hardware, and as a result i no longer have to buy two separate systems to enjoy their offerings.

that means experimental games like s.t.e.a.m, the main pokemon titles, all the jrpgs & quirky stuff that usually make up the bulk of nintendo handheld libraries will be available within the same ecosystem as the mainline, heavy hitter nintendo i.p's plus whatever 3rd party collaboration/team-ups nintendo decide to make.

the only thing this venture doesn't seem to address in any obvious manner is western developer support, because despite nintendo's success in handhelds, they westerners seem to do everything they can to not make games on them…
however that's nintendo problem to figure out why, not ours.

ggx2ac

Nanashrew

Banned
It's just a SuperMetalDave video that sources from a podcast that had Nicowav whom we've known for weeks has said September 20th for something NX-related courtesy of Mpl90 and others.

I forget if it's an announcement or a reveal, point is, it's nothing new.

The 20th would be a nice date. Same day the Nintendo DS's price was revealed in 2004.

ggx2ac

The 20th would be a nice date. Same day the Nintendo DS's price was revealed in 2004.

Trying to make patterns out of past dates hasn't worked out when you think about it.

We had the, Wii U, 3DS and I forgot what other past systems that had events on September 13th so people used that to predict when NX would be revealed but that definitely didn't happen.

I'm not denying that something could happen on September 20th, I'm just saying it seems pointless to predict it on past events seeing as what has happened this week.

Edit:

The 20th is kind of a weird date to reveal NX stuff.

Because Pokemon Sun and Moon news is being announced on that day.

lol, that's what I meant when I said I don't deny that something could happen on September 20th.

ggx2ac

Hmmmm

Have you heard anything about a possible reveal soon?

I think the phrasing was quite important.

Well, I was right about them no longer making the announcement around TGS. These guys.

Sounds like it was implied that Nintendo originally planned to announce NX during the week of TGS.

Still, we have until October 27th when investors will be down Kimishima's throat if NX hasn't been revealed beforehand.

Oddduck

Aside from the Pokemon Sun & Moon news on Tuesday, are there any events or game releases happening this week?

It seems like a pretty uneventful week for Nintendo fans.

ASIS

Wii was glory days? I mean I know the hardware sold like hot cakes, but having owned one I just remember it being a dumping ground for shovel ware with good games being few and far between.

The Wii is easily the peak of Nintendo 3D platforms and I could argue that it had a better list of exclusives than any gen 7 console (barring the DS).

So yeah, Wii was definitely glory days.

Anth0ny

I'd consider any gen where you're #1 glory days.

GamerJM

Banned

I don't really want to say this to target you or this post specifically, but it's starting to feel like any time a rumored NX date comes up people will always mention "oh that's when x platform was revealed". The truth is Nintendo has had well over a dozen platforms and they're bound to reveal major information about them at some point in the fall so it's not a stretch that one of those days could happen to have been the same date some other major information about a platform was revealed. It's not really evidence towards that day being the NX reveal date, and if the NX reveal date does happen to be a day where Nintendo revealed something else years ago it's probably most likely a coincidence.

Wii has quite the selection of great titles and was my favorite console of last generation.

Genio88

And that even for less than $200!

Less than 200$? did I miss this rumor? To me it's going to be 249$, it's the usual price for Nintendo console and it's acceptable for a brand new console at launch, even if thinking that PS4 and Xbox One can be found already at 249$ too you would expect NX, which should still be weaker than those, to cost even less

Less than 200$? did I miss this rumor? To me it's going to be 249$, it's the usual price for Nintendo console and it's acceptable for a brand new console at launch, even if thinking that PS4 and Xbox One can be found already at 249$ too you would expect NX, which should still be weaker than those, to cost even less

You missed the last page. $250 would be quite the steal for the rumored form factor (6inch screen) and hardware specs. I would rather bet for something in the $300 ballpark.

And that an handheld is the more expensive type of device is just plain reality. It doesn't help that Sony and Microsoft are pretty pricesensitive from the first day this time.

Nanashrew

Banned
I don't really want to say this to target you or this post specifically, but it's starting to feel like any time a rumored NX date comes up people will always mention "oh that's when x platform was revealed". The truth is Nintendo has had well over a dozen platforms and they're bound to reveal major information about them at some point in the fall so it's not a stretch that one of those days could happen to have been the same date some other major information about a platform was revealed. It's not really evidence towards that day being the NX reveal date, and if the NX reveal date does happen to be a day where Nintendo revealed something else years ago it's probably most likely a coincidence.

Perhaps. But even I was calling March/April for a handheld release in part due to Nintendo's release times for handhelds and the speculation at the time of two systems. There can be some merits to digging up some of their old habits.

I just hope the price and date reveal isn't somewhere at tail end of the year. I think September would have been the best time to announce but October is still fine.

Nanashrew

Banned
You missed the last page. $250 would be quite the steal for the rumored form factor (6inch screen) and hardware specs. I would rather bet for something in the $300 ballpark.

And that an handheld is the more expensive type of device is just plain reality. It doesn't help that Sony and Microsoft are pretty pricesensitive from the first day this time.

$300 is suicide and no one will buy a $300 Nintendo system. I imagine the tech inside won't be something that forces them to seriously mark up the price so high. What made the 3DS so high was the 3 month old 3D tech, and the Wii U using very new streaming tech.

So far with the detatchable controller rumor in the OP sounding "cheap" sounds like cheap to manufacturer. A 6 inch multi-touch screen is also incredibly cheap, and it might as well cost nothing compared to a glasses 3D screen in the 3DS. Much of the stuff in the rumors sounds like it has matured a lot which makes sense because phones have allowed a bunch of handheld tech to mature quicker.

Malus

Wii has quite the selection of great titles and was my favorite console of last generation.

It's my favorite console ever as a result of the SMGs, Zeldas, Xenoblade Chronicles, Smash Brawl, and the Wiimote&Nunchuck/Wii Sports. Their 1st party stuff was just unbelievable. PS2 not far behind, though I'm tempted to put Wii U 2nd purely because of Splatoon.

Fingers crossed for the 20th. I have marginal faith in you Nicowav! Natedrake also said he heard faint unsubstantial rumblings of maybe NX news this upcoming week. Sounds airtight to me!

Hermii

My most hyped "feature" of this system is definitely that Nintendo no longer will have to split their resources between handheld and home console. We're getting potentially one of the most diverse and largest first party libraries ever

Terrell

I think TV connectivity out the box would very much make it a hybrid assuming they take advantage of it.
What other handheld could connect to the TV while having split screen multiplayer games? You couldn't play Just Dance on a portable, but on NX you can

This hybrid idea only has value for people who traditionally own Nintendo handhelds because it provides more options to them. And I don't see how you "take advantage of it" any more than it being a TV-out, which isn't a big selling feature to people who buy consoles, since every console is TV-out only.

And despite the commonality of being made by the same company and featuring games from the same IPs, there hasn't been a whole lot of overlap between Nintendo console gamers and Nintendo handheld gamers since the days of the NES and the Game Boy. Heck, consoles and handhelds in general don't even have the kind of overlap people think they do. So their total addressable market will likely shrink yet again, as this device will serve a narrower amount of gamers by virtue of essentially being a handheld that just so happens to connect to a television.

Months and several NX threads later, I'm still not seeing any way to spin this as a positive for either gamers or Nintendo long-term. I maintain my previous stance that unless Nintendo can give an actual console experience that can achieve fidelity that puts them in line with 3rd-party expectations that will give them a larger game library and widens their audience, which nothing spoken of indicates so far, then it will continue to not have the appeal needed to achieve better than what it has.

For me in particular, I don't buy handhelds, haven't since the DS Lite, which I only kept for a year before I sold it. A handheld with a TV-Out is still a handheld, and no marketing language is going to convince me otherwise. So on that basis alone, I'll pass on Nintendo until they're ready to give me a console worth giving a shit about.

Realistic version:

Guys sitting at home titting on their phones. The end.
Basically.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Forget about it. This thing is reportedly based on the next version of the chipset that powers the Nvidia Shield, which retails for $299. .

You might want to double check this. That $299 Nvidia Shield is the $199 Shield TV with an additional 500GB HDD.

Peterc

I believe this month is the most painful one on waiting for nx information. It's really quite about nx. Everyone is expecting the reveal, but it's not happening. We need to forget this month and move on to October. I'm sure they will reveal it in October.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Gonna be more than good to get a large swath of downloadable games to supplement all of Nintendo's output on one console. Plus I don't have to worry about shit being cross buy and save especially from 3rd party indies.

EDIT: As someone who will never plug his NX into a television, I'm not even thinking of it as a console. It's a handheld with a potential TV Out option for those people who prefer playing games on a television to a handheld. That said, I'm seeing this purely as a 3DS successor that happens to be HDMI compatible, not as a console.

I think it's pretty obvious that the NX is a handheld device first and the TV out is more a feature than the other half of the NX concept.

Not that such a type of device could compete with the PS4 and Xbox One just from a price point alone. Extra display and form factor are too large drawbacks in that regards.
Think the stance of the rumored NX not being an "Hybrid" device has been fairly and succesfully debunked in the past. The other side of the debaters haven't made any convincing claims to prove otherwise.

Assuming there's truth to the rumors and considering this platform in the context of Nintendo as a company in itself and where they stand. We end up with a device that out of the box will:
  • Entirely fuse future Nintendo's software. What once were titles destined to console land on the NX, like wise what software was created for on the go experiences ends up on the same device.
  • Now, the above was always a possibility by just porting eveything to a console, however the NX being an Hybrid makes this work better since it has characteristics of what were once more separated platforms and markets. Games that were designed with Handheld sensitivities retain a similar context since the device is portable/mobile. For example, an user takes the NX outside and can play AR games or "Streetpass" with others.
  • No Nintendo user is alienated from any software library/title like in the past.
  • The device can be played without a TV (Wii U), while on the Go (any handheld) and in the TV (any Nintendo console).
  • Can be played with a Free Degrees of Freedom motion controller (Wii Remote), no Nintendo HandHeld (or any other i can think of) had that type of interaction.
  • Has 2 player multiplayer in the TV from the get go.
  • If it can stream wirelessly to the TV, it would have equivalent Wii U's functionality.
  • If it can work without the detachable controls (touch screen only) it works like a Mobile Device.
  • It encompases every single type of input interface (Buttons, Touch Screen, Motion) across all Nintendo generations and hardware platforms in one single device.
If 1 device satisfies the needs and offers the equivalent functionality for something that otherwise would require 2 different ones and without any additional expenses. Then it's fair to consider it an "Hybrid".

It's just not about it can be moved around or connected to a TV, the device is bridging concepts, interfaces and functionalities that in the past were contained within an specific Nintendo platform.

********************** Price Talk ***************

Regarding price, the safest bet has always been 250 U.S. i consider. However, personally i would really like if Nintendo targetted the 300 range. The device features would be more robust and rounded. At launch and during the launch period window, the NX would fly of the shelves anyway due to having desireable software from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom