• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IHS: Nintendo portable NX console to launch this year

JaseMath

For the millionth time, such a hybrid was already ruled out. Maybe we could get one later down the road in addition to the NX Consoles & Handhelds, but Iwata made it pretty clear before he died that a hybrid was not in the cards at the moment.

I don't believe that...

Last year we also started a project to integrate the architecture for our future platforms.

What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine.

What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferrable, and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of each platform. They will also work to avoid software lineup shortages or software development delays which tend to happen just after the launch of new hardware.
I'm not talking about a dock that simply acts the way the PS TV works, but rather harnesses the available technology in a handheld to do more when connected. What that more is, I have no idea.

Griss

InfamousGratefulHowlermonkey.gif

I think if you added a reasonable smartphone-eque bezel to this image, then cut the 'play screen' so that it's not surrounding the controls but had 'map/horn' appear around the left stick like it already does then you could be getting somewhere.

In essence, the gameplay area wouldn't render to the entire screen but you could use the parts of the screen around the controls to show what they do or add contextual touch controls etc. It solves the 'wasting time rendering graphics that are obscured' problem while still allowing the screen to be the entire device.

What I like most about this is that it's visually impressive in a way that...

*Please be a single screen handheld with a console dock*

8B9byum.jpg

...this isn't. I still like this, but it's nowhere near as striking.

Neoxon

I don't believe that...

I'm not talking about a dock that simply acts the way the PS TV works, but rather harnesses the available technology in a handheld to do more when connected. What that more is, I have no idea.
That's still a hybrid by definition, to where the console can't act on its own without the handheld being docked.

I think Nintendo will announce the NX handheld in February or march. here in the UK Tesco reduced the original 3ds to £35 and today thegamecollection.net has reduced the price of the 3ds xl with pokemon x to £14.35
That wouldn't surprise me, though the price drop over in the UK could just be because of the n3DS.

Ganondolf

That wouldn't surprise me, though the price drop over in the UK could just be because of the n3DS.

seems too big of a price cut just because the n3ds is available. the xl with pokemon on amazon UK is still £125 for comparison. and the normal 3ds is about £80 on amazon.

I think they have been told to clear stock as the announcement is coming soon.

Neoxon

seems too big of a price cut. the xl with pokemon on amazon UK is still £125 for comparison. and the normal 3ds is about £80 on amazon.

I think they have been told to clear stock as the announcement is coming soon.
Clearing stock for something that's around 9 months away? Maybe this would make sense for the incoming stock of Pokémon 2DSes (you mentioned that you were in the UK), but it'd a bit early to make room for NX Handheld stock.

Ganondolf

Clearing stock for something that's around 9 months away? Maybe this would make sense for the incoming stock of Pokémon 2DSes (you mentioned that you were in the UK), but it'd a bit early to make room for NX Handheld stock.

Nintendo stuff in the UK does not sale well already, any announcement of a new console will kill 80+% of the low sales. I think the NX handheld will be out by late June.

EDIT: 2 large companies reducing the same product (if you count the normal and xl version as one) in the space of one week is very strange.

Thraktor

I think Nintendo will announce the NX handheld in February or march. here in the UK Tesco reduced the original 3ds to £35 and today thegamecollection.net has reduced the price of the 3ds xl with pokemon x to £14.35

Off topic, but this has me seriously considering buying an extra 3DS XL just to play Pokemon X on. It's pre-installed, so I wouldn't be able to transfer it to my current 3DS XL, but it's much cheaper than you'd pay for X alone.

EDIT: 2 large companies reducing the same product (if you count the normal and xl version as one) in the space of one week is very strange.

Not really. If they're selling them that cheap, then it means they bought them cheaply from Nintendo. It's likely that Nintendo UK just wanted to get rid of a load of old 3DS's and XL Pokemon bundles that were just taking up warehouse space, and they sold them to Tesco and The Game Collection respectively. If you look at the product on The Game Collection, you'll see that it's listed as their newest addition to the 3DS category (meaning they're not selling off their own existing stock), and that they don't actually have any other 3DS consoles on sale. That makes sense if they took the consoles as a one-time offer to take unwanted stock off Nintendo's hands.

I can't believe people still think like this
lol seriously. Theres really no reason to drop a second screen, its too important. Will be fully shocked if they do. Especially since EOV doesn't have a platform announced so I'd be intereested to see what they do. But even stuff in Mario Kart become much worse with one screen. I'm pretty confident in dual screens.

Not sure yet on a 3D screen tho. Doesn't seem like alot of poeple use it so they may drop it, but considering they went through all the trouble with the New 3DS's better 3D its hard to see them dropping it. I hope not.

Plasma

Banned

Surely that's a pricing error.

Megatron

I would sacrifice the second screen if they will make the one screen higher quality. Its not used for that much any more, weve had it for 12 years, developers have utilized it, its ok to move on.

All I really want is the ability to run gba and snes vc games and a screen the size of the xl.

It won't quite work like that mockup, since there is no footage of 21:9 Mario Kart 8. Instead that's showing standard 16:9 Mario Kart with the buttons and sticks taking a chunk out of it.

If a game does that and extends the playing field it'll be anything that you wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Ah yes, that'd work quite well. Might be used in games that need to render less pixels to improve performance too (could just be a static background with HUD/buttons too)

I'd still rather just have a larger screen. It's a gimmick I hope they don't go through with. They are pushing pixels and allocating screen space that will be obscured by your hands. Unless the outer periphery is only used for touch mapped buttons and the like.

heidern

NX Hand-held in 2016.

NX Console in 2017?

If this is true then that means Nintendo are not really changing their roadmap due to this gens events and are going with a standard ~5 year life cycle. Iwata said they needed to first keep their existing Wii U owners happy which this will do.

It would also mean that the handheld and console are not going to get that much closer together. In fact they might even diverge if Nintendo decide to innovate. The convergence would only be in terms of better sharing game engines and assets, the games themselves would be separate.

ffdgh

On the subject of one vs Two screens. Going back to one screen for pokemon after all the (3)ds games would be jarring as heck.

Neoxon

If this is true then that means Nintendo are not really changing their roadmap due to this gens events and are going with a standard ~5 year life cycle. Iwata said they needed to first keep their existing Wii U owners happy which this will do.

It would also mean that the handheld and console are not going to get that much closer together. In fact they might even diverge if Nintendo decide to innovate. The convergence would only be in terms of better sharing game engines and assets, the games themselves would be separate.
Or maybe Nintendo doesn't want to overwhelm retailers & consumers by putting out both NX devices at once. Apple does the same thing with staggering their iPhone & iPad releases.

I hope this is true. If the slightest chance of a hardware improvement exists, it'll be because a 2017 window leaves open a window of opportunity. The NX handheld would already have retail stores packed enough as it is.

heidern

Or maybe Nintendo doesn't want to overwhelm retailers & consumers by putting out both NX devices at once. Apple does the same thing with staggering their iPhone & iPad releases.

This doesn't affect anything I said. If Nintendo wanted to converge the systems they'd release the console first and thus allow the handheld time to catch up in terms of power. I suppose it is possible to converge it this way round, but it would mean a budget priced console that's closer to Wii U in terms of power than PS4.

Malakai

Here is metacritic's list of the greatest 3DS games to date. Find one that relies on the second screen in a crucial way. How far down the list do you have to go? Etrian Odyssey IV, maybe, at position 27?

Now, how many of those games would be utterly unaffected by the removal of that screen other than having to put some options or info behind a menu? That's pretty much the point.

First, you didn't answer the question. What games do YOU, Griss, play "would be utterly unaffected by the removal of that screen" on the DS/3DS? Putting things behind menu options aren't trivial as it may seem as well. The second screen is quite convent for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds when it comes to switching out items. It is quite efficient to touch the item I want to use without having the pause the game. Also, I don't have to see HUD take up value space on a 3.5 to 5 inch screen. (Very nice for Ridge Racer 3D and Mario Kart 7) Also, for number 3, Fire Emblem: Awakening take a look a some parts of the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7dVIyr3tIQ. Could you image a single screen being able to display all for that info without using a microscopic front? Furthermore, you should check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMXNQodAzrE, Colors 3D, which was number 11 on the list you posted. That highlights what developers can do and expand upon with dual screens.

Griss

First, you didn't answer the question. What games do YOU, Griss, play "would be utterly unaffected by the removal of that screen" on the DS/3DS? Putting things behind menu options aren't trivial as it may seem as well. The second screen is quite convent for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds when it comes to switching out items. It is quite efficient to touch the item I want to use without having the pause the game. Also, I don't have to see HUD take up value space on a 3.5 to 5 inch screen. (Very nice for Ridge Racer 3D and Mario Kart 7) Also, for number 3, Fire Emblem: Awakening take a look a some parts of the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7dVIyr3tIQ. Could you image a single screen being able to display all for that info without using a microscopic front? Furthermore, you should check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMXNQodAzrE, Colors 3D, which was number 11 on the list you posted. That highlights what developers can do and expand upon with dual screens.

What does it matter whether I personally play them or not, when almost NO games for the entire system rely on the thing? And I've played essentially every first party published game for the 3DS at this stage. If it's developed by Nintendo, I'll buy and play it, with a couple of exceptions.

But where I was talking about the second screen not being essential for game design, you're talking about 'conveniences' and 'efficiencies' - the very opposite of essentials. No one doubts that it's nice having options and HUD on the bottom screen, but that's all it is good for 99% of the time, and that's not enough. A little convenience here or there. Your Zelda examples are laughable because OoT and LttP were two of the greatest games ever long before versions came along with a touch screen. (And yes I know ALBW is different to LttP but the core game design and map are both roughly the same.)

Same applies to Fire Emblem - it worked great before the second screen and it will work great again without it. Press start, bring up a menu. It's one button press! That's all! Yes, having that info there is nice, but in the time it takes you to look down at the other screen you could have opened a menu.

As for Colors 3D, seeing the whole picture while you're working on a small segment, while nice, is a convenience more than anything - drawing / painting apps like this are on the iPad and don't suffer from lack of a second screen.

Sorry, there's nothing remotely essential to the game design of any of these games here. All of these games would work on a single screen, and most of them are from series where they have done so before. The games that DID require the second screen - games like Kirby Canvas Curse and The World Ends With You - have largely dried up. People either don't want to buy them or they don't want to make them. But it seems clear to me that the second screen is largely ignored these days.

Diffense

I think a two-screen design where the bottom one is a freeform dislay would be ok. The bottom screen on 3DS tends to be used for HUD-related functions anyway but now it would be more integrated with traditional controls like in the patent.

Thraktor

While I don't have any idea whether they're going to stick with 2 screens or not, I wouldn't base your arguments on "taking up screen space" or "being able to display info". A 5" 540p screen actually has more screen real estate than the two 3DS screens put together, and has three times the resolution, allowing it to use smaller fonts while remaining more easily readable than a blurrier, larger font on the 3DS.

I still think both the handheld and console are launching this year, unless they plan to launch the console in the first quarter of 2017.

I agree. The reason? The Wii U has basically no games from 1st/2nd and definitely not 3rd party from the second half of 2016 and nothing in 2017. With Wii it still had some games coming before the launch of Wii U, I can't imagine 1 full year of console nothingness in 2017 just waiting for the NX home version. I say both this year and it will part of the NX family of devices and compatible with each other.

donny2112

What was the point of the DSi?

DSiWare. First introduction of the eShop on handhelds.
People seem to always complain that DSi brought nothing new or unique like GBC did, and they seem to always come to that conclusion by restricting the discussion to retail games only. DSiWare was great, though.

Regiruler

If the NX handheld will sell more than the NX console in the West there are pretty good chances that the NX console is a failure.
Hardly. Nintendo handhelds always sell better. There are more revisions, and a single console can serve more people than a single handheld can.

Malakai

While I don't have any idea whether they're going to stick with 2 screens or not, I wouldn't base your arguments on "taking up screen space" or "being able to display info". A 5" 540p screen actually has more screen real estate than the two 3DS screens put together, and has three times the resolution, allowing it to use smaller fonts while remaining more easily readable than a blurrier, larger font on the 3DS.

Not sure if I'm interpecting this information correctly but:
The single display screen is 960x540 5 inch screen dpi screen 220 dpi
The 3DS's upper screen is 400x240 3.53 inch screen dpi is 132
The 3DS's lower screen is 320x240 3.02 inch screen dpi is 132

Wouldn't two smaller resolution screen display enable more information to be displayed than a single larger higher resolution display?

Not if your information is in pixel form
If you're wanting to add the dpi together you should probably use dots per square inch.
...but I'm not sure that makes any sense either.

Disregarding the 3D, a 540p screen can comfortably fit both screens of the 3ds side by side, and another pair below that.

Malakai

What does it matter whether I personally play them or not, when almost NO games for the entire system rely on the thing? And I've played essentially every first party published game for the 3DS at this stage. If it's developed by Nintendo, I'll buy and play it, with a couple of exceptions.

But where I was talking about the second screen not being essential for game design, you're talking about 'conveniences' and 'efficiencies' - the very opposite of essentials. No one doubts that it's nice having options and HUD on the bottom screen, but that's all it is good for 99% of the time, and that's not enough. A little convenience here or there. Your Zelda examples are laughable because OoT and LttP were two of the greatest games ever long before versions came along with a touch screen. (And yes I know ALBW is different to LttP but the core game design and map are both roughly the same.)

Same applies to Fire Emblem - it worked great before the second screen and it will work great again without it. Press start, bring up a menu. It's one button press! That's all! Yes, having that info there is nice, but in the time it takes you to look down at the other screen you could have opened a menu.

As for Colors 3D, seeing the whole picture while you're working on a small segment, while nice, is a convenience more than anything - drawing / painting apps like this are on the iPad and don't suffer from lack of a second screen.

Sorry, there's nothing remotely essential to the game design of any of these games here. All of these games would work on a single screen, and most of them are from series where they have done so before. The games that DID require the second screen - games like Kirby Canvas Curse and The World Ends With You - have largely dried up. People either don't want to buy them or they don't want to make them. But it seems clear to me that the second screen is largely ignored these days.

Go back and play OoT on the N64 and then play it on 3DS. I do recall playing that game when I was younger. It is irritating as heck to stop the action to swap out inventory, especially, in the Water Temple. Me, as the the user and as the player, having "'conveniences' and 'efficiencies'" is very essential. Another thing that comes to mind is by using the bottom screen on the 3DS for the HUD and other UI adds another layer of immersion to the 3D effect of the 3DS top screen. Also, you shouldn't compare a 9.7 tablet captive tablet (which requires the use of active stylus-a huge additional cost) vs the 3DS with the restive screen (which doesn't require the usage of an active stylus).

Not sure if I'm interpecting this information correctly but:
The single display screen is 960x540 5 inch screen dpi screen 220 dpi
The 3DS's upper screen is 400x240 3.53 inch screen dpi is 132
The 3DS's lower screen is 320x240 3.02 inch screen dpi is 132

Wouldn't two smaller resolution screen display enable more information to be displayed than a single larger higher resolution display?

3DS upper screen is 800x240, resolution is 400x240 in 3D.

Malakai

3DS upper screen is 800x240, resolution is 400x240 in 3D.

I'm still reading around on the Net but from what I am reading is that the 800x240 resolution is for the 3D effect and the 2D resolution is actually 400x240. What I have read may be wrong so I am still searching for a reputable source.

bman94

3 screens
The console will be name nintendo 3S

Honestly this could work really well. Imagine the 3DS design with a screen on the top. That screen could be used for general notifications like spotpasses or web browsing/application use and would be able to run Nintendo's mobile games natively from that screen. Open the system up for the full gaming experience.

I'm still reading around on the Net but from what I am reading is that the 800x240 resolution is for the 3D effect and the 2D resolution is actually 400x240. What I have read may be wrong so I am still searching for a reputable source.

it's correct. there are 800x240 rectangular pixels there but are paired up to effectively 400x240 squares in 2d mode.

optimiss

How much do you have to hate dual screens to simply put a giant Amiibo logo there? The n3DS is already nicer in many respects.

I work in Marketing so I know the value of a big logo placement.

Edit: I'd rather have one screen of higher quality than 2 screens.

optimiss

Piece of shit hardware with nonsensical design decisions such as a lack of a second stick.

Well, it's certainly an appropriate successor to the 3DS at least.

I'd rather have nice stereo speakers than a second analogue stick, especially since it has a touch screen. Dual analog is overrated and so imprecise. Not to mention is also stops you from using the face buttons at the same time.

Neoxon

I'd rather have nice stereo speakers than a second analogue stick, especially since it has a touch screen. Dual analog is overrated and so imprecise. Not to mention is also stops you from using the face buttons at the same time.
Then what about parity with the NX Console's controller?

optimiss

Then what about parity with the NX Console's controller?

I'd be fine with the same setup on the home console if parity is indeed in the cards for NX. I wouldn't mind if there are dual analog sticks on the portable and home versions, I just personally don't care about dual analogs.

I designed the mock-up to illustrate the improvements that need to be made to existing features like the screen, stylus, and sound which all have a lot of room for improvement in my opinion.

Top Bottom