• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IHS: Nintendo portable NX console to launch this year

Peterc

All I want is for Nintendo to take the best aspects of the 3DS and make them better.

PKNZGBs.jpg

Camera could also be used to AR or headtracking.

Few things I don't like about this design.

- Touchscreen will be replaced with the same tech they used in current smartphones. That means that the stylus by default shouldn't work anymore. Also maybe it doesn't have to be there anymore.
- Nintendo wouldn't do another NDS device. this means it is not only step away from dual screen, but also from the whole NDS idea
- The AMIIBO is a huge space that just replacing an extra screen. That isn't usefull
Also it will be used more like this:

fig8gmqx8.jpg

Refering to this post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1114538

Chooseyour own control setting:
images

I think we need to forget the dual screen/panel idea. People and nintendo doesn't want it anymore. It's time for the new next design....

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...a6PXccpBQsUSb2Oju-WeBLMWZUz8_bW8pVgzyDCmGtQOg

It will also be responsive, when rotating the screen.

Mr Swine

Banned
Wouldn't it be possible to have 3DS BC by owning 2 NX product? Having the portable for the lower (touch) screen and the NX console + HDTV as the upper screen?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Peculiar list of Pixels Per Inch

Gameboy - 82.79
Gameboy Pocket - 84.09
Gameboy Color - 92.78
Gameboy Advance - 99.46
GBA Micro - 144.22
DS - 106.67
DSi - 98.46
DSi XL - 76.19
3DS OG 2D/(3D) - 132.15 / (236.61)
3DS XL 2D/(3D) - 95.59 / (171.15)
2DS - 132.15
New 3DS 2D/(3D) - 120.23 / (215.26)
New 3DS XL 2D/(3D) - 95.59 / (171.15)

Wii U Gamepad - 158.01

PSP - 128.3
PSP GO - 145.19
PS Vita - 220

854x480p @ 5" - 195.93
1280x720p @ 5" - 293.72

Keep in mind the 3DS family has an aspect ratio of 15:9, not the standard 16:9 widescreen.

I find it all kinds of mindblowing that Nintendo's first handheld 27 years ago, and their newest one, have essentially the same pixel density.

Did you read the patent? There are a variety of applications for such a display, besides sheer immersion. The idea is that your hands would cover the buttons/stick and all you would see in front of you is screen. It also provides the opportunity for on-screen prompts.

They'll be making moves to get the casual gamer back. I'd rather not get into whether people believe that's possible or a good idea. It's what I think they're doing, though.

I'm having a hard time seeing it work out well on a real-world product. But I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

Ganondolf

out of interest are we expecting wii u graphics from the handheld (at a lower rez)?

I was thinking about Namco having a Smash Bros game ready for the NX launch and was thinking if they might be porting over the wii u version to the NX handheld.

Thraktor

Given the rumours about Nintendo considering using "donut-shaped displays" from Sharp, you could be looking at something like this:

donutscreen.jpg

(I just used a Gamecube controller for the illustration as it's got a nice flat circle around the control stick, ignore the strange button configuration and lazy photoshopping)

They could be used around one or both of the analog sticks/slide pads in the home console and/or handheld, and used to map context-sensitive actions or information to the stick. In the example above, the screen around the left stick is acting as a compass and pointer to the objective, and the screen around the right stick is allowing it to be used as an item select. I don't know how varied the applications for it would be in practice, but it seems like the kind of thing Nintendo might do, and it fits the donut report and many aspects of the freeform display patent.

Given the rumours about Nintendo considering using "donut-shaped displays" from Sharp, you could be looking at something like this:

donutscreen.jpg

(I just used a Gamecube controller for the illustration as it's got a nice flat circle around the control stick, ignore the strange button configuration and lazy photoshopping)

They could be used around one or both of the analog sticks/slide pads in the home console and/or handheld, and used to map context-sensitive actions or information to the stick. In the example above, the screen around the left stick is acting as a compass and pointer to the objective, and the screen around the right stick is allowing it to be used as an item select. I don't know how varied the applications for it would be in practice, but it seems like the kind of thing Nintendo might do, and it fits the donut report and many aspects of the freeform display patent.

...... This is super sexy and I didn't know I needed this to be a thing till you showed me it.

Thraktor

...... This is super sexy and I didn't know I needed this to be a thing till you showed me it.

It'd look a lot more slick properly integrated into a real controller (if I had more time and more skill in CAD/3D design I'd have done up a render). As I say, though, I don't know how practical it would actually end up being in real use, and obviously it wouldn't be cheap. That said, it's a "Nintendo-like solution" and would still maintain the form-factor of a standard controller, so might not be as big of a turn-off as the Wii remote or Wii U gamepad were to some people.

Lutherian

I still have a few questions :

If the NX is really a hand held, how could SquareEnix port FF XIV ARR on it ? With Low settings and 480p ?

Rodin

donutscreen.jpg

Goddammit NOW I WANT THIS

All I want is for Nintendo to take the best aspects of the 3DS and make them better.

PKNZGBs.jpg

This looks disgusting. Plus, Nintendo wouldn't dare release another portable that doesn't sport a second analogue stick/C-Stick. Especially if NX portable and NX home console are going to be sharing the lion's share of their games. They're more or less going to have to have the exact same control scheme/inputs.

Neoxon

donutscreen.jpg

But would't the touch-circles be insanely small on the handheld?

donutscreen.jpg

This is the first functional example of donut screens that makes sense to me... and now I need them to do this.

Astral Dog

Dual Screens is a bit weird to continue, as the 3DS was clearly designed for one "main" display with the touch screen as support. but it remains to be seen if the cost of including two screens is something Nintendo deems necessary.

Astral Dog

donutscreen.jpg

that controller has boobs on it.

TDLink

Why replace the bottom screen with an Amiibo reader when the bottom screen already also has that functionality?

Pez

Why not? They will both share a software library, release the portable successor now, give Wii U owners one last year of software and then release the home NX next year with a full suite of software ready to go.

It's a novel approach and would help mitigate the risk. Allowing the fanbase to become a driving force on portable could help a lot when the console comes out.

diaspora

Man, if Nintendo wants to be innovative, be innovative on software/services. Don't be doing hardware shenanigans that makes developers roll their eyes and fuck with the hardware price.

AniHawk

Man, if Nintendo wants to be innovative, be innovative on software/services. Don't be doing hardware shenanigans that makes developers roll their eyes and fuck with the hardware price.

it can be both. wii and ds had easily demonstrable innovations that were sold on well-designed software. wii had it at launch, but ds didn't get it until nintendogs several months down the line.

with nintendo's new initiative all landing in 2017, i was reminded of this quote from 20 years ago:

shigeru miyamoto said:
What if everything that you see, is more than what you see? The person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it or accept that there is more to the world than you think. Perhaps it is really a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things.

what if this was not an example of how to think, but an idea miyamoto actually had for hardware/software at some point? with pokemon go, the above is basically what he's describing. if the nx is a handheld first, then augmented reality isn't a problem on nx either. consider that they're doing a pretty serious revamp of the club nintendo idea with mynintendo, they could be using such technology in conjunction with upcoming licensed projects like tv shows, stores, and theme park attractions. like motion control, it's not a new idea to nintendo, but it was never really a focus until the wii. the 3ds could have been a testing grounds for the idea, and tech could be at a point where it makes sense to use this as a main feature.

Why replace the bottom screen with an Amiibo reader when the bottom screen already also has that functionality?
That design gets worse and worse every time I look at it.

21:9 screen that would inevitably have terrible resolution and look awful.

Speakers easily covered by hands.

Useless Amiibo reader in place of literally anything else that would be better.

One thumbstick. Why the fuck would someone make a mockup of their dream system and include only one goddamn thumbstick? That, AND an Amiibo reader? Who the hell wants this thing?

And I noticed it still has 3D. Hard pass.

My fucking eyes deceive me, someone wants to use a stylus as well? Please, NEVER EVER go into the hardware business. Jesus.

Neoxon

That design gets worse and worse every time I look at it.

21:9 screen that would inevitably have terrible resolution and look awful.

Speakers easily covered by hands.

Useless Amiibo reader in place of literally anything else that would be better.

One thumbstick. Why the fuck would someone make a mockup of their dream system and include only one goddamn thumbstick? That, AND an Amiibo reader? Who the hell wants this thing?
Granted, there's gonna be an NFC reader for Amiibos no matter what, but it shouldn't take up that much space.

Which one? :p
Mostly the terrible AmiiboDS, but those donut screens also make little sense. I'm having trouble determining a useful gaming application for them. Still, it's a decent representation of the concept of donut shaped screens... which may just be a terrible idea.

javac

The one with the giant amiibo logo.

Thanks, I was wondering because I genuinely think that Thraktor is on to something with the doughnut screens however a lot of attention may be focused on the quality of the mock-up instead of the idea itself. The mock-up with the giant Amiibo logo on the other hand seems to be comprised of everything not to do in handheld however. As PdotMichael said, product design isn't easy :p

Mostly the terrible AmiiboDS, but those donut screens also make little sense. I'm having trouble determining a useful gaming application for them. Still, it's a decent representation of the concept of donut shaped screens... which may just be a terrible idea.

Yeah I was funnily enough wondering about the doughnut screens and how they'd come to fruition last night (was very bored!), this seems like a more logical implementation then just a huge doughnut screen that you hold lol but we'll see!

Malus

Now that I think about it how would I move around if the right stick was selecting things? Maybe hold a trigger to activate touch screen option.

That donut idea is terrible. I don't get what you guys are seeing in it. If third party devs couldn't figure out how to use the second screen on the Wii U, they're sure as hell not going to use two donuts screens with any success.

But it's cooooooool.

That donut idea is terrible. I don't get what you guys are seeing in it. If third party devs couldn't figure out how to use the second screen on the Wii U, they're sure as hell not going to use two donuts screens with any success.

But it's cooooooool.

I don't get down with people calling a lot of what Nintendo does a "gimmick", but this, this would be a gimmick.

Neoxon

I still think it's quite probable that the doughnut-shaped screens are for QoL, and have nothing to do with NX.
Now that you mention it, it's kinda weird how we've heard next to nothing about QoL in the last few months. Not even a rumor about it has come out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I don't get down with people calling a lot of what Nintendo does a "gimmick", but this, this would be a gimmick.

It would be quite nice for Nintendo to spend their money on the basics - nice screen, decent CPU/GPU, big battery - rather than this kind of thing

AfroDust

donutscreen.jpg

Holy shit this is dope.

I had been interpreting that mock-up image as satire.

Is it not?

It's pretty much the system that Nintendo patented, but for a 'regular' console controller instead of a handheld, so doesn't have to be satire. If they went with the sticks through the screen idea for the handheld, I could imagine the console looking like that, possibly with absence of any buttons or dpad (controversial!) although I am not keen on encouraging people to take their eyes off the screen in a lot of cases.

The one with the giant amiibo logo.

Oh that one lol

Jackano

People needs to forget about the free-form displays rumor (or patent, can't remember) because this is a worthless thing.

First this is probably even more expensive than regular displays.

Then it will probably be a mess to work with on a programming level. Working with 4:3 rectangles is easy, working with them with holes in it or with curved borders add crazy complexity. Imagine if the internet need to put down jpeg and png and gif, and suddenly everyone have to use SVG only. And don't forget 3rd party developers have, or still have, hard time to work with dual screens. Even on Wii U, some late port were a pain in the ass when it came to use the gamepad screen. Imagine asking them to implement a banana shaped screen... That said, it will be a new inventive way to loose the remaining 3rd party dev that would follow Nintendo on this one.

Thirdly, the mockups always forget to put the gamer fingers on top of them. You can't see shit if you put your thumb over the free form display. Not to mention you have to actually look at the controller if the contextual buttons are explained on it. And, you can accidentally click on them.
If you think Nintendo will not see that after some basic trials and errors... even if their recent hardwares (note to self: I should do that gamepad thread I have things to talk about it) are not perfect, I doubt they end up thinking this is a good technology to use.

Malus

People needs to forget about the free-form displays rumor (or patent, can't remember) because this is a worthless thing.

First this is probably even more expensive than regular displays.

Then it will probably be a mess to work with on a programming level. Working with 4:3 rectangles is easy, working with them with holes in it or with curved borders add crazy complexity. Imagine if the internet need to put down jpeg and png and gif, and suddenly everyone have to use SVG only. And don't forget 3rd party developers have, or still have, hard time to work with dual screens. Even on Wii U, some late port were a pain in the ass when it came to use the gamepad screen. Imagine asking them to implement a banana shaped screen... That said, it will be a new inventive way to loose the remaining 3rd party dev that would follow Nintendo on this one.

Thirdly, the mockups always forget to put the gamer fingers on top of them. You can't see shit if you put your thumb over the free form display. Not to mention you have to actually look at the controller if the contextual buttons are explained on it. And, you can accidentally click on them.
If you think Nintendo will not see that after some basic trials and errors... even if their recent hardwares (note to self: I should do that gamepad thread I have things to talk about it) are not perfect, I doubt they end up thinking this is a good technology to use.

Isn't the company making those displays preparing for a big shipment this year? :3

I think this is why people are assuming Nintendo will use it: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...-supply-free-form-lcds-nintendo/#.VJD2nsaleiw

Top Bottom